✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay will release track "Atlas" from "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" soundtrack on 6/8 Sept

Tash

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I listen to it a few parts standout. The piano is beautiful, haunting, and although simple arpeggiation, it still sounds nice and Coldplay-like. I love Chris going to his lower register, then building up to his falsetto. The guitar refrain that comes during "I'm about to explode" is surreal. Also the little sound heard after "Carry your World" is so uplifting. Although the buildup is very slow and predictable, it leads to the most beautiful chorus since Death And All His Friends. Jonny's guitar work is at its finest at the end. Whatever the other instrument used at the end is, that is also what makes the ending one of the best Coldplay has had. I still wish it was longer though.

I would like to call Atlas an example of post-Coldplay. Its haunting beginnings go back to Parachutes but towards the end there is that grandeur resulting from five years of stadium rock, but it is used sparsely, not in a distasteful ETIAW way. The soundscape is beautiful. To me it is a good sign that Coldplay have chosen to give wide exposure to this single as opposed to Moving to Mars, this other gem which had more or less the same vibe but was removed from the MX EP in the end. Viva post-Coldplay.

Well, if the song originally had roots in 2010 (judging from the piano ending piece from that Xmas concert in Liverpool) that bit didn't have anything to do with The Hunger Games. But I guess the band just completed the song based on the fact that they knew it was going to be Hunger Games related - that's what it shows in the lyrics. I think it's a great song to be honest, I was disappointed by the preview but this is really incredibly good, especially when you turn up the volume a bit, you can hear the atmospheric sounds beneath. I'm giving it 9/10. :)

If this is the way Coldplay are going to go, we don't have to fear for LP6, at all.

Chris' vocals are beautiful, nice and mellow, and as with many Coldplay songs the tone of the song seems to raise the further it gets towards the end.

The bit directly after the lyric "I'm about to explode" where the drums come in and some heavy piano playing from Chris sounds great too! And as for Jonny's solo at the end, well, that's just Jonny Buckland at his best isn't it? The end of the song, particularly Jonny's guitar, reminds me very much of the Viva era; it has a touch of 42 & DAAHF with the guitar (in terms of a big crescendo from Jonny and then back down to normal level if you know what I mean?).

It gets a thumbs up from me! Very impressive I must say :D! But what else did you expect from Coldplay? They aren't the greatest band in the world for nothing :D!

If I have one complaint, and it' a minor one, it'sthat I wish it was longer! And I totally agree about Chris using his lower register and building the vocals. Jonny has Just grown and evolved so much over the last few years...and his guitar work here is STELLAR! As good as Major Minus and moving To Mars in terms of their recent work. Unlike ETIAW, which I honestly didn't like but it grew on me, Atlas was love at first listen!:D

Edit: and every time I heard Will's high hat build. I just want to jump out of my seat!

So I have decided to wait until radio premiere this evening, before listening to the song in its entirety. I enjoy reading your comments though :) It seems like a lot of you like the song and it sounds like it is vintage Coldplay, however I would not take that as an indication of the direction coldplay will take with LP6. After all Atlas is completely unrelated to their album and it has been crafted especially for Hunger Games, so it can also sonically match the tone of the movie.