[11-Mar-2014] Coldplay @ iTunes Festival, ACL Moody Theatre, Austin, Texas, USA

Tash

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viva La Coldplay: Chris Martin & Company Reclaim Their Rock Throne at SXSW

2623ab51009b350a4e0f6a706700b9e9.jpg

They say everything is bigger in Texas. And that old adage certainly applies to South By Southwest, the Austin music festival that once primarily showcased rising and unsigned acts, but now serves as a promotional platform for superstars like Kanye West, Justin Bieber…and even Lady Gaga, who plans to perform inside a giant Doritos vending machine this Thursday night.

But perhaps even bigger than all those acts is Coldplay. Although it's been three years since their last album, and they maintained a fairly low profile throughout 2013 aside from one cut on the "Catching Fire" soundtrack, they're still The Most Massive Rock Band on the Planet. (Sorry, U2, Stones, et al.) When they pulled a Bowie/Timberlake/semi-Beyoncé last week, suddenly announcing the May 19 release date for their sixth album "Ghost Stories" and dropping the new single "Magic," it was major news. So where better to give "Magic" and three other "Ghost Stories" tracks their proper live debut than SXSW, the music industry's most major festival?

"We've been away a long time, and I can't think of a better place to come back into the world," affable Coldplay frontman Chris Martin proclaimed, when his band made a rare SXSW appearance on Tuesday night.

However, by Coldplay standards at least, this was an intimate show. Kicking off the Music portion of SXSW (and its new fest-within-a-fest known as the iTunes Festival), the group played the 2,750-capacity ACL Live Theater — a far cry from the Glastonbury-sized audiences to which they're accustomed. (Suffice to say, they did not perform inside a giant Doritos vending machine.) As they made an unassuming, shuffling entrance (20 minutes late) and started the show with the mellow, moody "Ghost Stories" song "Always In My Head," this almost felt like a warmup gig, or a flashback to those long-ago "Parachutes" days when Coldplay regularly played clubs, not stadiums.

The entire show was relaxed, maybe a little too relaxed (three songs in, Chris chuckled self-deprecatingly when he flubbed the piano intro to "Paradise" and had to start the tune over), but as the 50-minute set chugged along, the band soon overcame any rustiness and raised the energy in the room. After performing the especially crowd-rousing "Viva La Vida," Chris grinned and quipped, "We've been in the studio a long, long time, and we've forgotten how much people like to sing along!"

It was impossible to ignore, however, that alongside singalong anthems like "Viva La Vida," "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall," and "Clocks," new tunes like "Magic" and "Another's Arms" were extremely sedate. While they sounded lovely and pleasantly ambient in such a cozy setting, it was hard to imagine how well these songs will go over once Coldplay inevitably return to playing mega-arenas.

But that didn't matter tonight. When Coldplay played a final encore of "Ghost Stories'" trippy, spooky chillout track "Midnight" — the ACL stage still so strewn with silly-string confetti from an earlier number that stagehands were frantically trying to dig the band's instruments out of the colorful debris — the stage turned into a rave/apocalyptic prom/New Year's Eve blowout, with Chris flailing, spinning, and eventually finishing the epic song while rolling on the floor. So any concerns that The Most Massive Rock Band on the Planet had somehow scaled back its sound were perhaps unwarranted.

link

Also anyone know what music was playing while waiting for the show to start?

Always in my head was awesome! I thought it was gonna turn into a non-electric version of midnight at first. The music playing before the boys went on though was Tycho's new album, "Awake", which comes out on the 18th. If you liked the music I would recommend you check out their 2011 album, "Dive" which is just as good! Here's their soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/tycho

Coldplay review - 'emotionally engaging but too eager to please'

iTunes Festival, ACL Moody Theatre, South By Southwest

With Imagine Dragons and London Grammar as support, the rock band’s return showcases new material from their sixth album Ghost Stories, alongside Clocks and confetti cannons

01788956-a9bf-45cf-93e3-56049214e524-460x276.jpeg

It’s hard to imagine either of tonight’s support bands existing if it wasn’t for Coldplay. Sensibly dressed. Unnervingly polite. Precisely zero chance of the singer passing out at any point in a pile of broken glass and vomit. This was not really how rock stars were built until Chris Martin came along to emote in sensible t-shirts and trainers.

Having said that, London Grammar and Imagine Dragons are far from alike. The former’s haunting yet accessible trip hop stands out thanks to a singer, Hannah Reid, blessed with the power to hypnotise a crowd using her vocal cords alone. The minute a song like Strong draws to a close, however, the spell is broken and you’re left with three evidently nervous musicians still working out how to feel comfortable commanding an audience.

Imagine Dragons, on the other hand, share no such trepidation. There are smoke cannons, flashing backdrops of molten lava and so many drums onstage that at one point only one of the five members is actually not drumming, hardly a ringing endorsement for the talents of their actual drummer (“Best drummer in the world? He’s not even the third best drummer in Imagine Dragons” etc). However, the band’s fondness for the stage is such that you ultimately wonder if they’ll ever get off it – certainly they play for long enough to make you aware that their anthemic, radio-honed songs (think the Killers shorn of their militant anti-fame stance) lack all that much emotional depth.

Coldplay, returning to promote their forthcoming sixth album Ghost Stories, could teach both bands a few tricks. They were once as nervous onstage as London Grammar, let’s not forget, but Chris Martin has long since learnt to do this rockstar business in his sleep. When he messes up a piano line during the intro to Paradise he doesn’t fret, instead grinning: “I messed that up, but that’s OK.”At other times, he’ll punch the air, drop to his knees or perform some pre-song pilates. There are even confetti cannons during Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.

Likewise, where Imagine Dragons threw the kitchen sink at the audience in an attempt to make that vital emotional connection, Coldplay manage to do it with effortless ease. Their recently revealed comeback single Magic, which tonight gets its debut live outing, is a case in point. Indeed, it’s barely even a song at all, hanging on a loping beat and some vocal oohs, but it has a hook that is devastatingly simple. Other new track from Ghost Stories, including Another’s Arms and the equally understated opener Always In My Head, stick to the Coldplay ethos of making music whose principle aim is to touch as many people as possible – as supported by a crowd that includes both Cat Deeley and Seymour Stein, and a setlist that has room for Clocks and Fix You.

Ultimately, though, this eagerness to please is the band’s main stumbling point. You know what you’re getting with a Coldplay gig in 2014 and virtually nothing tonight – from the declarations of love for the crowd to the two minute pause of the encore – tricks you into thinking otherwise. When they arrive back onstage to play not of one of their biggest hits, but the Jon Hopkins-produced new song Midnight, performed cross-legged at the side of the stage, it reminds us that a sense of surprise – or magic, if you like - is the one thing tonight’s been short on.

link

So Ghost Stories aka LP6 is that one stripped recording. And it's actually marvellous, more intimate atmosphere, less loudness. Reminiscent from old times. Those new tracks reminds introductions before songs in AROBITH tour. Can't wait to listen the whole album. It seems our boys takes another step and it's Radiohead direction rather U2.

Now we need a video :-)

Good Morning. After another 3 hours of sleep i'm ready to start the day. :D

First of all, i can't find the show on iTunes. The other two shows from last night are on there but not Coldplay's. Is this a Germany thing?

About the show itself, i wasn't really into the hole thing. I watched it but i wasn't "feeling" it, if that makes sense. Probably because the crowd in Austin wasn't too enthusiastically either. Maybe because it was 4:30 am and i just woke up, watching the show laying in my bed. I'm pretty sure the tour will be much better and the crowd will go crazy like they/we have done in the past. I'm still really looking forward to the first concert and to see it all standing in the first row. :D

Always In My Head is just a mediocre song. Nothing special but not bad either. Same for Another's Arms. I love the sound of Another's Arms but the lyrics are pretty weak in my opinion. That is the case for all the songs i've heard yet. If i compare the lyrics to VLV or XY its just a huge difference, in a negative way.

The performance of Midnight was really awesome. I absolutely loved it. 9/10.

Setlist was pretty solid too.

Coldplay rules the iTunes Festival opener at SXSW

All three bands on hand for the inaugural iTunes Festival in Austin can command big stage.

Coldplay has expertly mastered the importance of being earnest on stage. That came through in the band's return to the U.S. here at the iTunes Festival Tuesday night.

"We've been away a long time and I can't think of a better place," said frontman Chris Martin, to re-emerge at the Moody Theater at Austin City Limits Live downtown "with a few hundred people here and a few million online," cracked frontman Chris Martin.

The opening song Always In My Head, was the first of four new live debuts -- a new album is due in May. Wearing a spartan -- but surely designer -- white long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans, the exertive Martin had worked up a sweat ten minutes into the set during Paradise, the second of two songs from 2011's Mylo Xyloto at the beginning of an 11-song set. Later, Martin dropped to his knees to sing Every Teardrop is a Water Fall.

All of Coldplay's songs performed are solid, but the nearly-packed auditorium responded best to the anthemic Viva La Vida and the more precious and melancholy Fix You, which Martin dedicated to "everyone involved in the Malaysian (missing plane) situation," he said. "We're so lucky to be able to come play mission when there are such terrible things going on in the world."

Each of the other bands sharing the bill cite Coldplay as an influence. Dan Rothman, the guitarist for opener London Grammar said that "we grew up listening to Coldplay, so this is almost like a dream."

The band is one to watch, with lead singer Hannah Reid, whose vocal delivery runs from ethereal to Florence Welch powerhouse belting would likely satisfy fans of Lorde.

Imagine Dragons had the middle slot and reeled off an efficient 11-song set that included Radioactive and Demons. "This is such a beautiful venue and so many legends have played here," said singer Dan Reynolds,

The triple bill was the best of the iTunes Festival, which runs through Friday, said Tayla Ridley, 22, of Austin, who began waiting at 3 p.m. for seats after winning a lottery to get into the cozy 2,700-seat auditorium. "They don't play places this small and this was one of the first times to see Coldplay in a while," she said. Imagine Dragons, she added, 'do a lot with the drums."

And Ridley had been wanting to see London Grammar, which is playing several gigs here during SXSW. "But we got to see them in a relatively calm setting," she said.

link

Coldplay, SXSW, review

Coldplay's comeback gig was low-key but powerful and persuasive new songs showed the band still have skill

coldplay_2849373b.jpg

It was a surprisingly low key return for the biggest band in the world, if you can ever call performing an internet broadcast to an online audience of tens of millions low key. Coldplay took to the stage casually attired in their trademark student garb of trainers, black jeans and tight T-shirts - only singer Chris Martin standing out in a pristine white top. An array of instruments were clumped together centre stage, and band members focussed moodily and intently on setting up a gentle, swaying breeze of slow bass, shuffling drums and tinkling guitar as Martin crooned sweet nothings about someone always being in his heart. Given the hype and expectation, it was like opening the Super Bowl with a lullaby.

Dispensing with the paint-spattered costumes, flashing wrist bands, graffiti set and batteries of multi-coloured special effects that marked their triumphant 2012 Mylo Xylto tour, the stadium superstars seemed intent on presenting themselves as the house band at a chill- out club. Four new songs were all characterised by a quality of undemonstrativeness, gliding gently in the shimmering, supple textures of spacey ambient pop, sounding like music to do underwater yoga to. There was not a stirring, singalong anthem amongst them. Even the stage lighting was muted, blues and reds bathing the band in washes of single colours. Last time round, Coldplay threw everything they had at the audience with a conviction that sometimes bigger really is better; this time the guiding principle might have been less is more.

Even in stripped-back form, the songs proved powerful and persuasive. Delivering rousing versions of half a dozen of their biggest hits with Martin’s enthusiastic charisma focussing the band’s intense drive, Coldplay ensured the audience was reverent and attentive for quieter, more intimate new songs like Magic and Another’s Arms

I’m not convinced this understated new direction is an entirely accurate picture of their forthcoming album, Ghost Stories, though. Coldplay are an extremely self-aware band, and they are not about to reveal their whole hand before a big game. The Moody Theatre in Austin, Texas is an intimate venue that holds under 3,000 but Martin was acutely aware of the potentially vast internet audience beyond, even inviting them to “singalong world!” I’m not sure that was ever going to work under the circumstances. I have previously attended the iTunes festival in person in London, but for its American debut I tuned in from my living room in London on AppleTV. It meant I had the best seat in the house but audience participation routines don’t have quite the same effect when you are hunkered down on a comfy sofa.

Coldplay closed their set with the epic Fix You, rather awkwardly introduced with a reference to “everyone involved with the Malaysian airplane”, as if this uplifting anthem required a disaster to lend its compassion context. It was the only moment when I wondered if they might really be losing touch with their everyman instincts. If so, encore of new song Midnight represented a tantalising glimpse of a possible future, with Martin hunkered down, duetting with a tremulous emotional intensity to his own vocoder shadow while his band mates conjured up a luscious electronic pulse from a trio of synthesisers. It was enough to demonstrate that Coldplay have the skill and confidence to dispense with all their usual songwriting tropes and still shoot straight for the heart.

link

Coldplay perform brand new tracks at intimate SXSW show

Band dedicate 'Fix You' to Malaysia plane tragedy

Coldplay performed new songs from their upcoming sixth studio album, Ghost Stories, last night (11 March 2014) during their performance at this year's South By South West festival. See footage from the show below.

The stadium giants joined the rising stars and new bands who are performing at the event in Austin, Texas, and played new tracks 'Always In My Head', 'Magic', 'Another's Arms' and 'Midnight' among fan favourites such as 'Paradise', 'Viva La Vida' and 'Fix You' - which was dedicated to the passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.

The band are known for their enormous shows in some of the world's biggest venues, but their SXSW show was for just a handful of lucky fans, as they performed as part of the iTunes Festival at the event at the Moody Theatre.

We've been away a long time, and I can't think of a better way to come back into the world in the intimate surroundings of Austin and just a couple of 100 people and the millions watching at home," said frontman Chris Martin during the performance, which was streamed live on iTunes.

link

By the way have most of you created a new account for a forum like this? So when this site will get shut down again like yesterday (at least it didn't work when I visited) you will be able chat in another forum? It would be such a pity to miss all the talk when the rest of the songs are released if this forum is closed then too :(

Coldplay Air Two New Songs

'Another's Arms' and 'Always In My Head'

SSXSW is upon us, and already huge names are streaming into Austin, Texas for a carnival of new music.

Coldplay dropped past the city-spanning festival last night (March 11th) to perform at a special iTunes curated show.

The British giants have completed work on their new studio album 'Ghost Stories', and chose to include two unheard tracks in their set.

'Another's Arms' and 'Always In My Head' both featured in the set, which was broadcast online with crisp audio included.

Clips of both tracks have now emerged online.

link

Coldplay perform two songs from new album Ghost Stories at SXSW

Coldplay performed two songs from their new album Ghost Stories at the launch of the iTunes festival at South By Southwest.

The band played 11 songs at the event in Austin, Texas last night (March 11), which they headlined alongside Imagine Dragons, including brand new tracks 'Always In My Head' and 'Another's Arms'.

"We've been away a long time and I can't think of a better place to come back into the world," Chris Martin told fans at the gig, which marked their first North American show for more than 14 months.

As well as playing new single 'Magic' and 'Midnight' from their forthcoming LP, the group played 'Clocks', 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall', 'Viva La Vida', 'Paradise', 'Charlie Brown' and Hunger Games song 'Atlas'.

Towards the end of the set the quartet played 'Fix You', which Martin dedicated to those involved in the Malaysian airliner disappearance by sending "good vibes and love across the ocean".

link

Coldplay Perform "Magic", Debut "Always In My Head" & "Another's Arms" at 'iTunes Festival At SXSW 2014'

coldplay-peform-at-itunes-festival-at-sxsw.jpg

chris-martin-of-coldplay-in-austin.jpgcoldplay-rocks-sxsw-2014.jpg

Coldplay headlined the first concert of the special edition of the iTunes Festival at SXSW 2014 in Austin, Texas. The Chris Martin-led British rock band performed a 11-song setlist before hundreds of fans at the Moody Theater on Tuesday (March 11th).

The iTunes Festival concert of Coldplay last night saw the live debut of their two new latest songs; the buzz single (and very strange) "Midnight" and the band's new official single "Magic". However, the new music didn't stop there. Coldplay treated their Austin fans and the entire world watching through the online stream on their Apple computers or mobile devices with a world exclusive. What was it? The live premiere of two brand new tracks from Coldplay's upcoming album "Ghost Stories" (May 19). Ah!!!

The opened with "Always In My Head". A beautiful, very minimalistic song. And halfway through the setlist, Coldplay played "Another's Arms". And this totally sounds like a future official single and world smash hit! Amazing from the very first to the last note. The melody sounds similar to an old Coldplay song, though. But whatever, amazing regardless!

link

'Warm welcome' for Coldplay at fest

PANews+BT_P-80e4f200-1c07-4a79-888e-f353c0b4ff92_I1.jpg

Coldplay unveiled some brand new songs as they headlined the opening night at the iTunes Festival at SXSW.

The British band, fronted by Chris Martin, performed an 11-song set at the Moody Theatre in Austin, Texas, which included Always In My Head, Magic and Another's Arms from their forthcoming sixth album Ghost Stories, reported NME.

"We've been away a long time, and I can't think of a better way to come back into the world [than] in the intimate surroundings of Austin and just a couple of 100 people and the millions watching at home," Chris said during the show, which was streamed live on iTunes.

Coldplay - whose new record will be released on May 19 - also played a number of their previous hits such as Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, Paradise, Clocks, Viva La Vida and Fix You, which Chris dedicated to everyone involved with the missing Malaysia Airlines plane.

"Thank you guys for giving us such a warm welcome back," the singer said after Fix You, before they returned for an encore of Midnight.

Imagine Dragons and London Grammar also performed on the opening night.

Kendrick Lamar, Pitbull, Soundgarden and Band Of Skulls are among the acts lined up for the five-day festival, which will be closed on March 15 by Keith Urban and Willie Nelson.

All the performances will be available to enjoy for free as a live and on-demand stream via the iTunes Store.

link