Tash

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay Debut Atmospheric New Tracks as iTunes Fest Arrives at SXSW

Plus Imagine Dragons bring drum explosion to Apple's debut Austin event

coldplay-306v-1394631432.jpg

Last night in Austin, Texas, a reinvigorated Coldplay invaded an already crowded South by Southwest calendar with new music as headliners of the city's inaugural iTunes Festival. The quick 11-song set unfolded at the 2,750-capacity ACL Live at Moody Theatre, small and intimate by Coldplay standards, but was also streamed live to fans around the world.

It was the first of a week of shows during SXSW hosted by iTunes, and the genre-neutral programming looked like a chart of popular download stars, with nights also headlined by Pitbull, Keith Urban, Kendrick Lamar and Soundgarden. Most intriguing to hardcore Coldplay fans had to be the debut of four new songs from the band's upcoming Ghost Stories album.

Coldplay eased into their first U.S. Show in 14 months with an atmospheric "Always in My Head," the new album's opening song. With "Paradise," it was back to the London quartet's soaring anthemic sing-alongs, as the crowd joined in without any prompting at all from the band. "Charlie Brown" was soon followed by "Clocks," as singer Chris Martin left the piano bench with outstretched hands, knees buckling dramatically as fans shouted along once more.

The ovation that followed prompted Martin to thank fans for reminding the band of the experience of having their songs sung loudly back at them, particularly since they've "been in the studio a long time" working on Ghost Stories. More from that album came in the form of "Another's Arms," and a brief instrumental section accented with wild sparks of guitar from Jonny Buckland.

"Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" peaked with an explosion of confetti streams, burying the musicians under layers of paper strands. Martin still managed a mood-changing "Fix You," which he dedicated to passengers on the still-missing Malaysian airliner, opening to a solemn organ melody and teary vocal, before an emotional guitar climax and Will Champion's driving beat.

coldplay-600x400-1394631560.jpg

The road crew's quick clean-up of the stage meant an encore was inevitable, and Coldplay returned amid surprising waves of electronic sound for the new "Midnight" and Martin's heavily treated vocals, trading the band's traditional flesh-and-blood passions for something icier and forward-leaning. It was enough to send Martin into spins of excitement onstage as the band unleashed an electro-swirl. Then the set was over, at barely 50 minutes something less than a full concert, but a meaningful glimpse of Coldplay music to come.

Second billed were Imagine Dragons, not far from their explosive onstage freakout with rapper Lamar at the Grammys. Last night in Austin, the quartet delivered a slightly longer set than Coldplay, dressed in matching shades of black, their many drums scattered around the stage. They began with an excited with "We Are Falling," erupting with soaring urgent melodies, like hysterical cousins to Mumford and Sons.

On "Tiptoe," the band went full postmodern 80s pop, as singer Dan Reynolds wailed "Nobody else can take you higher!" and drummer Daniel Platzman pounded a fiery heartbreak beat and Wayne "Wing" Sermon chimed like a new wave guitar hero. The decade fit them well, with sounds brooding, hot and bothered.

Imagine Dragons then unfurled the hits, beginning with a festive "It's Time," as Reynolds waded into the front rows and insisted, "I'm just the same as I ever was. . ." A stormy "Kingdom Come" followed, along with "Radioactive," and each player took to the drums amid geysers of fog before returning to their instruments for a full-bodied windout and bits of wailing guitar.

link

Coldplay Tell Four New Ghost Stories During SXSW Gig

Group mixed 'Midnight,' 'Another's Arms' and 'Magic' into iTunes Festival set in Austin.

Coldplay couldn't wait to perform some new material from their upcoming Ghost Stories album on Tuesday night during the kick-off to the iTunes Festival at SXSW.

In fact, they were so eager, they opened their 11-song set at the Moody Theater at "Austin City Limits Live" in downtown Austin with the first tune on Stories, "Always in My Head."

During the gig, singer Chris Martin told the crowd, "We've been away a long time and I can't think of a better way to come back into the world than in the intimate surroundings of Austin and just a couple of hundred people and the millions watching at home." The gig was streamed live on iTunes as part of the kick-off to a five-night event that will also feature concerts from Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy Q, Soundgarden, Pitbull, Zedd and Keith Urban.

The band also gifted the crowd with the live debut of the recently released spare, Radiohead-like track "Magic" and previously unheard songs "Another's Arms" and the aforementioned "Always In My Head."

The set, which included crowd-pleasers such as "Paradise," "Clocks," "Viva La Vida" and "Fix You," ended with the Stories lead track, "Midnight."

link

Really enjoyed staying up to watch the boys back in action last night! The song of the night for me was Midnight. That looked bloody fantastic live! I can't wait to actually bit a concert when they play that live. Guy's laser harp was quite special - I love that. The lighting and everything just fits perfectly. Surpassed my expectations massively with that.

Always In My Head is beautiful. I love it in fact. Can't wait to hear the track, but Chris sung it song eloquently. I liked it how he just sort of swayed side to side when he was singing it; he looked the part.

Another's Arms is good but will have to grow on me in time, a bit like Midnight did really. Magic was better live too if you ask me; I was impressed with that.

Chris' piano is different; it looks larger. The fact it's so the side of the stage says to me that he wants to give the band more attention as well as himself. Not only that, only Magic, Jonny had to play the piano (which was great btw) and then stood up and played guitar.

The album is more stripped back, it's there for all to see. I am looking forward to listening to the tracks on repeat loads of times because gradually the songs are growing on me. Was great to see a teaser of what's to come. Just makes me more excited :D!

I know that many here are disappointed about new songs. Yes, it has dull lyrics, I agree. But don't you feel cordiality in Always in my head, Another's Arms, Magic? The way how Chris sings is nice and warm. This is why I think Ghost Stories will be better than Mylo Xyloto. Well, that's just my opinion. I'm very glad that Jonny was playing piano, this was so sweet. :blush: It is his first time on stage, isn't it?

Coldplay unveils new songs at SXSW

coldplay-01.jpg

Coldplay parachuted into the South by Southwest music festival Tuesday night with a 50-minute performance mixing familiar hits and debuted new tunes from their upcoming sixth album Ghost Stories.

The hot-ticket show at the intimate 2,700-seat Moody Theater at ACL Live kicked off the inaugural U.S. iTunes Festival, which runs over five nights during the fest. Coming after openers London Grammar and Imagine Dragons, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin and company took the stage looking trim and fit in subdued nondescript knit shirts.

“We’ve been away a long time, and I can’t think of a better place to come back into the world,” Martin told the crowd. The set-list included “Paradise,” “Viva La Vida,” “Fix You,” “Clocks” and “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” (that last adding a confetti cannon that left Martin wrapped up like a mummy). The new slower-paced new songs “Another’s Arms,” “Always In My Head” and “Magic” suggested Ghost Stories might be a more subdued entry into the band’s discography. Martin also took a moment to send “good vibes” to “everyone involved in the Malaysian [missing plane] situation.”

Performance wise, the group seemed pretty much note-perfect (and when Martin messed up the intro to one song, he called himself out on it) and the high-tech presentation left one fan screaming: “This needs more lasers!” It was snark, but happy snark.

link

You know what I noticed? It looks like equipment wise, Martin doesn't have the GT20 potentially for this tour. Looks like he's rolling with what I "believe" to be an actual acoustic Yamaha U3. Interesting. (If this show is a warm-up for the eventual Ghost Stories tour much like Rock Am Ring, Lollapalooza was for MX).

Coldplay debuts new songs at SXSW

coldplay.jpg

More than a year after they last touched down upon North American soil, Chris Martin and his amiable band of anthem merchants chose the South by Southwest festival for the first big coming-out party in support of their forthcoming sixth album, Ghost Stories.

Actually, the party itself wasn’t that big, taking place as it did in Austin City Limits’ relatively tight, 2,750-capacity Moody Theatre. Its reach was gigantic, however, since Coldplay’s SXSW set was streamed live in real time around the planet as the climax of the first of five iTunes Festival shows going down in Austin this week. Other intimate iTunes gigs at the Moody — Kendrick Lamar on Wednesday, Soungarden on Thursday, Pitbull (yes, Pitbull) on Friday and Keith Urban and Willie Nelson on Saturday — are to follow, each easily accessible online to those not fortunate enough to be in Texas for the SXSW marathon.

Coldplay was clearly Apple’s biggest “get” for the American debut of the iTunes fest, which also featured London Grammar and the hateful Imagine Dragons as openers. Yet while the show was well received by the crowd and passable enough from a quality standpoint, it wasn’t the blazing return to the stage one might have expected from a stadium band facing down an unusually teeny room. Indeed, it served as a reminder that, despite its legions of fans, millions in record sales and many admittedly smashing singles, Coldplay is by and large a thoroughly ordinary band from a technical standpoint.

The buff-looking Martin is a charismatic and energetic frontman, so Coldplay gets by. But stripped of an arena sound system and left to carry on like ordinary mortals on a modest theatre stage, the quartet on Tuesday night came off as competent, unflashy and just a touch above average — albeit blessed with some truly monster tunes in the form of “Clocks,” “Paradise,” “Viva La Vida” and the goopy ballad “Fix You,” which reduces this hardboiled cynic to jelly every time.

I’m not made of stone, and the gigantic explosion of silly string during “Every Teardrop is a Waterfall” made for a genuinely joyous late-set moment. It was totally likeable, even if the consistent lack of real fireworks generated by guitarist Guy Berryman and bassist Jonny Buckland made you realize this band would be sunk without Martin bounding about in front and champion drummer Will Champion thundering away behind.

The new material debuted from Ghost Stories — due for release on May 19 — was a little vague, but suggested that the forced experimentation of 2008’s Viva La Vida and 2011’s Mylo Xyloto has continued in the Coldplay camp. “Always in my Head” was a dreamy, slightly vaporous opener, while new single “Magic” and “Another’s Arms” both occupied airier and more rhythmically adventurous spaces than we’re accustomed to hearing Coldplay venture. They might need a few listens to sink in, but they’re interesting enough.

The real “hit” amongst the new stuff didn’t sound much like Coldplay at all. “Midnight” was a big, rave-y electro-rock track that had far more in common with old-school trance than it did, say, “Yellow.” Berryman didn’t even touch his guitar, spending the entire tune jamming away on a rack of electronic gear. We’ll see how that one plays with the punters.

“We’ve been away a long time, and I can’t think of a better place to come back into the world,” said a gracious Martin at the outset of the show. The world, I’m sure, is reasonably happy to have Coldplay back.

link

Coldplay debut new songs 'Always In My Head,' 'Another's Arms' at SXSW's iTunes Festival

Coldplay is gearing up for the release of its sixth studio album Ghost Stories. Last night, at the inaugural US iTunes Festival, the British arena rock band debuted four new songs fro the upcoming record live, including the two previously unheard tracks "Always In My Head" and "Another's Arms."

Though the videos of the live performances are being taken down as swiftly as they're uploaded, the full performance of "Always In My Head" and the audio from "Another's Arms" live, via SPIN.

Much like the album's lead single, "Magic," which mixes together the oldest, calmest version of Coldplay from its Parachute days with the high quality production of the band's most recent efforts, album opener "Always In My Head" brings out the best of Coldplay. The quiet track begins with some twinkling keyboards and is followed by steady, quiet drumbeats and the floating, soft voice of Chris Martin, which blends together perfectly with the melody.

If "Always In My Head" harkens back to old school Coldplay while blending in the new, "Another's Arms" pulls more from the band's modern sound with a bit of quiet, reflective influence. The nearly "Clocks"-esque piano drives the epic track, which constantly drops the beat and brings it back for an emotionally-driven effect.

As of now, four songs from Coldplay's new album Ghost Stories have been heard, including the previously mentioned tracks and the experimental, Bon Iver influenced teaser track "Midnight."

link

Coldplay Play New Song ‘Always In My Head’ at SXSW

Those lucky enough to get into Coldplay’s concert at South By Southwest last night (March 11) were given a first listen of the band’s upcoming album, Ghost Stories.

The band–who kicked off the first night of the iTunes Festival at the Austin fest– performed four news songs off the album including recently released the R&B swinging “Magic,” the Bon Iver-sounding “Midnight,” “Another’s Arms” and “Always in My Head.”

The latter was a sweet and slow groove that harkened back to their Parachutes days. On the little over 3-minute track, Chris Martins keeps things simple, there’s no vocal acrobatics here, singing straight from the heart, “You’re always in my head.”

link

been waiting for this song for a very long time

I, for one, am completely amazed at the negative reaction to the new songs premiered last night. I was switching between the stream and Twitter, and the immediate reception was overwhelmingly positive. Both songs, but especially Always In My Head were very reminiscent of their older material, and I fell in love on both first listens. To come here and see so many people disliking them honestly surprised me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion obviously, and I respect that. But, it seems silly to me that after asking for ages and ages for 'old Coldplay' to come back, and we get that, people still complain. I don't get it, but that's the fun in all this. We're getting to experience a new album/era, and this is just a natural stage of the process.