✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Midnight appreciation thread

Jedi Leo

This song has huge potential with remixing. I don't like what Giorgio did with it (Though I love his work on Daft Punk's RAM) Personally at the end when the synths come in, it should build up and explode in some electronic-bass dropping way. That would make it complete. I swear it would. :uneasy:

Listening to Midnight right now, finally downloaded the rest of the album and I must say Midnight sounds like something you would hear in a movie soundtrack I dont mind it but it would be nice if we could download lyrics and album art as well lol

Listening to Midnight right now, finally downloaded the rest of the album and I must say Midnight sounds like something you would hear in a movie soundtrack I dont mind it but it would be nice if we could download lyrics and album art as well lol

How about you try asking my good friend Google. I'm sure he'll be able to find you what you want :)

• 2 months later...

So here I am, it is Midnight, I want to sleep, so I watch the music video and a blast of very recent nostalgia hit me. You see, when Midnight dropped unexpectedly, I was shocked and somewhat skeptical. "This sounds like vocoded Bon Iver, this video seems kind of amateurish, sheesh they sure are trying to be weird and alternative here and maybe trying too hard," I thought to myself.

After a few days however, it all caved in on me. I fell head over heels for Midnight and a surge of excitement reigned through me. "Is Coldplay finally going to release an album that is fully electronic? Are they abandoning the pop and radio friendly mantra for actual experimentalism and alternative sounds? Like the news articles inquire, is Coldplay going to finally leap into dark, icy, different music like they have always slightly teased?"

These were some of the best days of my Coldplay fandom. It became clear quite quickly however, once Magic was released, that Ghost Stories was indeed going to be a safe, comfortable pop record, and this was supported more so by ASFOS later on, which was a huge disappointment to me. I shouldn't bash on Ghost Stories here, it is a fine record and Magic is the quintessential perfect pop song with great electronics and atmosphere. Okay time to stop rambling. My main point is:

PLEASE COLDPLAY COME OUT WITH AN ALBUM FULL OF MIDNIGHT'S. GO ALTERNATIVE FOR REAL THIS TIME AND SURPRISE THE CRITICS AND PISS YOUR LABEL OFF AND MAKE A LOT OF FANS ANGRY. MAKE MUSIC FOR YOURSELVES BUT PLEASE EXPLORE NEW SOUNDS AND SHARE EVEN IF NOT EVERYONE WILL LIKE THEM. This is my plea...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching the vid tonight, remembering how it felt to discover it for the first time. That surprise, that shock! We knew they'd try to surprise us, yet they went really far with this one. I also wish the whole album, as good as it is, had more of this incredible atmosphere. You had the right term with 'hypnotizing'.

Agree with all the aforementioned. One thing that I don't see anyone talking about..but I think is really cool about this song is that the time signature changes quite a bit. The first two verses have alternating bars of 3/4 and 2/4, the interludes are in 4/4, and the loud part is in 4/4. It doesn't come off as one of those songs where you can distinctly feel the time signature being off or have trouble clapping to it. It just flows perfectly - I think that shows really high level craftsmanship in this song.

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I listened to Midnight was a bit strange, the video on youtube was posted a day after my birthday and I got so excited when Coldplay releasing the first video of the year ever! But after hearing it, I was a bit disappointed, I didnt know what the band was talking about, why the video background was so vague etc.. However, after listening to the song for 12427938 times I feel more comfortable to appreciate how the song slowly moves me in a good way at the same time when Ghost Stories came out. The song is simply amazing and I realize that Coldplay have been evolving to more mature music, which I do respect that with what they have done in the music industry for more than a decade. I remember I used to only listen to this song on my iPod before going to uni every morning, it helped me to get some beats and felt more energetic when going to school :D

Help! I really loved the nbc special version of Midnight but it got taken down for copyright the other day. Does anyone know of a way I can get hold of the audio for it?

Much appreciated!!

I will PM you.

• 7 years later...

My favorite song of the album and in my top 5 Coldplay songs. The most relevant song about depression, who Chris suffers a huge depression after the separation. For me, it's the type of songs to help peoples suffers of depression. It's was very painful in the lyrical, i remember to crying in this song after i listen the songs because i suffers depression in the past. The song was very sad, powerful and emotional at the form. The vocader fit with the voice of Chris and with the electronic/Ambient vibe of this song. It's very haunting, relaxing, beautiful, painful, profound and who Chris put all his emotions about depression.