✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Midnight appreciation thread

Jedi Leo

I do like Magic a lot but I must say I simply love Midnight! The whole package is fantastic, music, voices, video, lyrics, you name it. I am also a big fan of Sigur Ros, so it was great to hear Coldplay making a meditative song in that genre.

Why do you love Midnight? :)

Do you think we´ll hear more songs like Midnight in Ghost Stories or is this a one-off experiment?

Also I don´t get it how a lot of reviewers said the lyrics were intelligible. I understood nearly every word after two listens. Do we perhaps speak Coldplayian more fluently than non-Coldplay fans? hehe

I love Midnight because I've always felt they needed a more atmospheric song with a good soundscape. I know they've already had The Escapist, but I've always seen it more as an outro than a full length song

• 2 weeks later...

The first time I heard Midnight I thought I was going to cry out of disappointment… well not that bad but it was close. Now that I've seen how they're using it though, I really, really like it. Starting and ending the hype of this album with "Leave a light, a light on" is just brilliant. As said valypan said, it's hypnotizing. It's just that catchy.

I"ll echo Dianne here.....it's ringing in my head constantly since we saw it performed live. It's fantastic, ethereal, at the same time sweet and lilting and a potential mixed club hit all at the same time....PLUS gorgeous visually if they perform it with Chris 'playing' the laser. Lurve.

I am addicted to this song. Normally, having played it over and over hundred's of times since it came out, my interest would decline but it seems to grow even further its so mysterious and the official video matches the song so well, normally I would think of an image/place different to the video but dancing and having a 'trip' in the woods is exactly what comes to mind, so brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A whole new experience with Midnight by them Coldplay. I never feel such a feelings that was so mixed with darkness but at the same time I tried my best for my living.

But as for the whole album, I personally didn't like how True Love was cross-faded with Midnight. I prefer a long fade out from True Love, and a long fade in from Midnight. It would make the track even more darker than ever!

From the moment I heard the lyric "leave a light, a light on" it made me think of Fix You's "light's will guide you home" I'm sure i'm reading into it, but it just struck me that he wrote"lights will guide you home" to help Gwyenth thru a hard time, and now he is lyrically asking that someone leave the light on to guide him thru a difficult time in his life. Just a thought.

• Like 1