✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a great album, but whose idea was it to bury the guitars and pianos. Other than AOAL, which had a perfect balance, I feel like the album as whole would have benefitted from louder pianos and guitars

This says everything. More prominent pianos and guitars would've been amazing. But we can't have that. They're "not a rock band" anymore. Why that means they have to do a disservice to Jonny's talents, I can only guess. They probably think it would sound too close to past songs they've done. It's a new direction. Or something.

More prominent pianos and guitars would've been amazing. But we can't have that. They're "not a rock band" anymore.

They´re definitely not a rock band, I am not sure they ever were? :) The guitars are definitely more muffled in the album than they are live, but I always find that to be the case generally? Thats the price to pay for this kind of production. We then have something to look forward to in the live concerts :) However I can clearly and loudly hear Jonny all over Ahfod, which makes me super happy :)

^^ well Hm they might not be rock, but they're definitely alternative of some sort.

I am still in awe at people trying to classify Coldplay *lol* Their 7 albums are a journey through acoustic, alternative, rock, pop, dance, even r&b. They just miss jazz and they´ve almost gone through the full spectrum! haha (which reminds me of that funny video with Jonny playing jazz LOL)

• Like 1

I am still in awe at people trying to classify Coldplay *lol* Their 7 albums are a journey through acoustic, alternative, rock, pop, dance, even r&b. They just miss jazz and they´ve almost gone through the full spectrum! haha (which reminds me of that funny video with Jonny playing jazz LOL)

Actually that's very very true i shouldn't even bother at this point. I find it quite masterful that they can go through each and every genre and still make it sound like them though.

i'm going through the liner notes finally. another interesting thing. they have their lyrics "written down" for the first time! looks like chris is indeed getting over some of his insecurities. this is the first in 7 albums. says a lot about their (chris' in particular) state of mind.

Actually that's very very true i shouldn't even bother at this point. I find it quite masterful that they can go through each and every genre and still make it sound like them though.

I totally agree with you on that! It is quite masterful that they´re always recognisable yet ever changing. I guess this is the perfect combo every artist strives for

i'm going through the liner notes finally. another interesting thing. they have their lyrics "written down" for the first time! looks like chris is indeed getting over some of his insecurities. this is the first in 7 albums. says a lot about their (chris' in particular) state of mind.

True! Though he still has not written ALL the lyrics. No "X marks the spot" lyrics which I so wanted grrrrr hehe

But I loved loved the artistic handwritten display! So great to enjoy reading while listening :)

Is it true that after Viva Coldplay almost finished an entire album of acoustic songs on which Us Against the World and U.F.O. were featured on? Cause if they scrapped that boy I'm gonna have a chat with them...

I remember they said during the making of MX they had two albums: one quiet acoustic and the other more lively upbeat. They decided to mix them both instead of going for them separately. The result was MX, which has both some quiet acoustic songs and the uptempo ones.

I truly believe that whatever song we have not heard is just not good enough to be heard, i.e. it doesn't have the stamp of approval of all our four boys, so I dont know..I am not so sad about not hearing unreleased tracks at the end of the day, but we are always hungry for more Coldplay music hehe

Is it true that after Viva Coldplay almost finished an entire album of acoustic songs on which Us Against the World and U.F.O. were featured on? Cause if they scrapped that boy I'm gonna have a chat with them...

i don't know if these songs were featured in that, but they have spoken about this. they were going to do an acoustic album and wrote songs for one. but then they got bigger songs, mainly charlie brown and will tried to play it on an accordion :) and according to chris, guy said no way and then the fuller song was made. somehow more bigger songs came together and they thought of 2 albums, acoustic and not. then they put the best of all together with some new ones and made mylo.

that's what they said anyway.

• Like 1

^ interesting... I'm still not sure what the story of AHFOD is though

i think ahfod is chris trying to convince himself he is happy and through the tunnel (probably he is), tied with coldplay wanting to do full-on pop coldplay-style.

i think ahfod is chris trying to convince himself he is happy and through the tunnel (probably he is), tied with coldplay wanting to do full-on pop coldplay-style.

Well I mean not that story I mean where the whole idea came from... But please I'll give anything to stop calling this album pop, especially full on pop.

I think he´s genuinely happy "to be alive" as he has said many times. His nature is inherently happy I believe! But of course a tough break up like that needed a Ghost Stories to get through...

And yes ahfod is pop-friendly, but I noted plenty of alternative moments there actually: Everglow, Birds, the rock-ish title song, Amazing Day, Army of One and Fun are also half pop half alternative imo. And I have a particular liking for the strange yet infectious x marks the spot :)

Oh and of course Hymn is very much R&B inspired :)

Well I mean not that story I mean where the whole idea came from...

Check out the Facebook interview if you have not already. Plenty of good info on the origin of Ahfod there! I believe they said the title came first, so I guess Chris knew early on the album would be a comeback to a happy place "full of dreams" :)

I think he´s genuinely happy "to be alive" as he has said many times. His nature is inherently happy I believe! But of course a tough break up like that needed a Ghost Stories to get through...

And yes ahfod is pop-friendly, but I noted plenty of alternative moments there actually: Everglow, Birds, the rock-ish title song, Amazing Day, Army of One and Fun are also half pop half alternative imo. And I have a particular liking for the strange yet infectious x marks the spot :)

Oh and of course Hymn is very much R&B inspired :)

yeah, that's the coldplay-style connotation as i mentioned before.

chris does look genuinely happy and far more comfortable compared to his awkward self. contentment is hard to achieve and if he's got that now, that's a feat in itself.

Ooh I see I see... I wasn't sure what you really meant by Coldplay style... I thought it was just, mushier than normal pop?

hahaa! i think that somewhat rings true too. but that's just a small aspect of it.

• Like 1

Anyone else suffering from a bit of post album melancholy? It hits me every time! It has nothing to do with if I enjoy the album or not it just comes down to all that waiting and anticipating and now it's over... time to start looking forward to a live show i guess!

• Like 2

Anyone else suffering from a bit of post album melancholy? It hits me every time! It has nothing to do with if I enjoy the album or not it just comes down to all that waiting and anticipating and now it's over... time to start looking forward to a live show i guess!

Yup!