✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Stories in 24Bit 44,1 Khz HDTRACKS

What the hell are HD tracks? :uhoh: Are they better than FLAC format? Do you even hear any differences with an average sound system?

And, AROBTTH in 5.1 would be a dream come true :surprised:

Damn, indeed, it would be :wideeyed:

ALAC vs FLAC - which one is the better to pick up or is it just a matter of convenience?

Doesn't really matter, it just depends on what format you need, for instance I think ALAC will play on iPods but not FLAC. Anyway, they are both lossless so you can convert between the 2 later if you need without losing quality.

What the hell are HD tracks? :uhoh: Are they better than FLAC format? Do you even hear any differences with an average sound system?

HD Tracks = High Definition tracks :P ? Haha, these 24 bit audio files have more depth in them. CD's and most audio files around the interwebs come in 16 bit. Think of these 'bit' numbers as colour pencils. I have more choice of colours with 24 bit compared to 16 bit. The common mp3 doesn't come in 24 bit. So I'll have a wider and more dynamic spectrum of colours if I painted with 24 bit. FLAC versions are available in 24 bit format too! (Vinyl is the best quality as it's analog and not digitalized)

You will most likely not hear much difference in an average sound system. The most notable difference about HD audio is the high and low frequencies, like the crash and hi-hat cymbals. And they're smoother around the edges here and there too, though it might take an audiophile to notice that :thinking:

its the amount of samples that you get from the file, so you get better sound quality and more frequencies, i have listened to 24 bit music and you can hear the difference between a regular mp3 or flac (16bit) and 24bit music files.

HDTRACKS is a webpage that sells hd music and its very well known for what they do, i think they get the master tapes and reencode them to get the maximun quality of those tapes, since in normal cds the music companies have to resize the quality to make a full album to fit in a cd-r.

about the files, the quality is the same but the format is different so you can play these files in different music players, as an example itunes doesnt play flac files but they play alac files.

i have all the cds from coldplay in 5.1 but they are upmixes, the same quality but someone split it into different channels to make it sound like surround, then i have some tracks of coldplay in 5.1 made from some multitracks songs and also a 5.1 dvda of parachutes made from a vinyl(really good).

Coldplay is not too much into hd music that why most of the hq music you will find on the internet from coldplay will be made by fans, so having coldplay released Ghost stories in 24bit is a miracle

i have all the cds from coldplay in 5.1 but they are upmixes, the same quality but someone split it into different channels to make it sound like surround, then i have some tracks of coldplay in 5.1 made from some multitracks songs and also a 5.1 dvda of parachutes made from a vinyl(really good).

Coldplay is not too much into hd music that why most of the hq music you will find on the internet from coldplay will be made by fans, so having coldplay released Ghost stories in 24bit is a miracle

Where did you buy the albums from??? Dolby Pro Logic is sh*t, so I'm curious to hear what proper 5.1 mixes sound like :D

(Vinyl is the best quality as it's analog and not digitalized)

It used to be - nowadays vynil records from the same digital master along with CD/mp3/ACC, so the only difference is your setup.

I have some HD-tracks (Muse provides it for free AFAIK) - you should have at least musical ears and advanced Hi-Fi setup to feel the difference. But if you perfectionist you probably should have it. ;-)

Odvan - I have the Muse album in their high definition FLAC - it is amazing paired with a Dragonfly DAC and Bowers & Wilkins P7 or play them through the Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air.

Like you said, you have to have the proper equipment to truly appreciate hi-definition tracks. That being said, do you have tracks from that site - I'm interested in getting files as close as to the master studio recordings as possible. Thanks

The CD is encoded at a similar bitrate/quality. Just buy the CD for $10 and rip it in FLAC. Sounds absolutely fantastic in this format. Unless you have extremely expensive equipment you won't come close to hearing a difference between 16-bit and 24-bit.

Hey MichaelSD -

I'm kind of noob with this stuff, but love the sound of bowers and wilkins and supposed hi-fi sound. Is it worth getting these tracks in 24 bit if I run them through either the dragonfly dac or bowers and wilkins zeppelin - they both mention upsampling up to 96khz/24 bit resolution. Im really tempted to buy them because Ghost STories has that great atmospheric sound and bass that is amazing to hear when paired with decent music files. R flacs from various websites/torrents the same as these HD tracks or ?? I have the CD - I am just better ripping them to FLAC in 16 bit. thanks in advance

Hi bdevil,

There would not be a discernible difference on either of those sets between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC. Only a fantastic ear could spot the difference on five-figure equipment, if that. That's why even iTunes only offers AAC, which is of course below FLAC. Even with AAC most listeners wouldn't notice the difference between that and a lossless FLAC.

Most sites offer a FLAC rip of the retail CD. The 24-bit would be encoded from masters. Just stick to lossless flac.

I think the producing/mastering part of the album plays a vital role in sound quality too. For instance, Songs About Jane by Maroon 5 sounds fantastic, even at lower bit rates. The snares and guitar work are very clear and poppy. Daft Punk's RAM also sounds fantastic and Nick Jonas's Who I Am, to name a few.

It's worth pointing out that Ghost Stories is a "Mastered for iTunes" release, meaning the AAC files were made from the 96/24bit audio masters (based on the program's MFiT page). So, even though the difference might be small when listening to lossless masters, if you are downsampling, having a higher-resolution master file makes for a better quality lossy copy... Although the mastering does also play a part in how much of a difference.