✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do you love Ghost Stories?

nvdmm

Every Coldplay album provokes wildly different and at times opposing reactions amongst fans and critics, particularly after X&Y. This album however seems to have divided people more than their other albums, similar to what we witnessed after Mylo Xyloto was released.

But I for one absolutely love this album and the era as a whole and the connection I feel with the songs is unparalleled. So to express our love and appreciation for Ghost Stories and to counter all the negativity and the ridiculous "Criticisms with the album?" thread (ridiculous because it was started about 10 minutes after people listened to leaks for the first time!), I would like you all to tell us what it is about the album that you really love?

To get us started, I for example love the fact that its an exhausting emotional roller-coaster that begins and ends unlike anything they've done in the past. I love the mood, the beautiful strings, Guy's dominance throughout, Jonny's heavenly guitars and Will's creativity with the drums. I also think Chris' vocals in this album are his best for a very very long time. And I love it because 'Ghost Story' ;)

Because it's simple. That's the only way I can describe this album. It's simple yet powerful. And after the mess that was MX, this is such a welcome change. There's no gimmicks attached it - it's just the boys being the boys. Makes me think of the good old days of Parachutes and AROBTTH. I hope they stay in this style for awhile and not head into the MX-like sound for the next two album or at all.

Yes, the lyrics could be better and I was worried that it'll affect the song but after listening to the whole album, the simpleness of the lyrics hasn't bothered me. It actually suits the songs quite well.

Also, Ghost Story. God, I love that song.

To get us started, I for example love the fact that its an exhausting emotional roller-coaster that begins and ends unlike anything they've done in the past. I love the mood, the beautiful strings, Guy's dominance throughout, Jonny's heavenly guitars and Will's creativity with the drums. I also think Chris' vocals in this album are his best for a very very long time.

This!

And because it's just so genuine and true, straight from the heart. Love it

Every Coldplay album provokes wildly different and at times opposing reactions amongst fans and critics, particularly after X&Y. This album however seems to have divided people more than their other albums, similar to what we witnessed after Mylo Xyloto was released.

But I for one absolutely love this album and the era as a whole and the connection I feel with the songs is unparalleled. So to express our love and appreciation for Ghost Stories and to counter all the negativity and the ridiculous "Criticisms with the album?" thread (ridiculous because it was started about 10 minutes after people listened to leaks for the first time!), I would like you all to tell us what it is about the album that you really love?[/color]

Screw you man! I made that thread!

I think what makes Ghost Stories so awesome is the way that it harkens back to their previous styles but while still being refreshingly unique. So many of these songs feel as if they were pulled from other eras, and yet they fit together beautifully with this intimate, stripped-back style. Even ASFOS seems worthy of fitting where it does to me because it brings an explosion of color, but instead of in the plastic-y Mylo Xyloto way it explodes with the same "colors" of the rest of the album and brings a sense of resolution to the entire journey.

Ghost Stories is the most honest album they've ever released. I've always thought Chris's lyrics were bad and this album doesn't change my opinion on that. But, like Chris said, this album is just the truth, so take it or leave it.

There's something in each track that I can appreciate. Even if it's not the best track, there's a highlight about it that makes it worth-while. Take Magic for example: pretty damn basic lyrics, pretty sparse production, there's not much there to be honest. But Guy's bass line and Will's drum beat in tandem is just perfect. I can't help but bob my head back and forth.

Every song is excellent, or at the very least has a saving grace. No song is skip-worthy.

This is all I want from Coldplay for the rest of their careers. Just genuine music.

It's a wonderfully beautiful album! Definitely one of their best, top 3 in my book. It's very honest, raw with emotion, and evolved. That's what I love about them.... They always grow and evolve when they just let it flow organically. When it's forced and rushed.. You get a 60%effort record like X&Y. (Chris' words) I love this record and I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out.... Love. Love. Love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll give you 9 reasons for which i REALLY love this album:

1) Always In My Head is a great opener, it takes me back to the AROBTTH era and that guitar just kills me.

2) I find it really confusing that now everyone seems to hate Magic but i actually like it quite a lot, it's such a sweet, mid-tempo song.

3) Ink is my favourite #3 song on their whole discography, i didn't like it at first but now i absolutely adore it, it puts me in a good mood every single time.

4) True Love is (as Will said) the centerpiece of the album, the song that captures the feeling of the whole era perfectly and it's heart-breakingly beautiful.

5) I was as shocked as the next Coldplayer when Midnight was released but i instantly dug it's lyrics and the whole Kid A, Bon Iver-esque thing that they had going on, it remains one of my favourite songs from this era and it's gorgeous live.

6) Another's Arms is probably the song i like the least from the album because i love it musically but those 'late night watching TV' lyrics just don't do it for me, it's still a great song though, i just think that, had it had better lyrics, it had the potential to be an instant Coldplay classic.

7) I love the sonar sound in Oceans and how it blends in seamlessly with the acoustic sounds of the song, it's a lovely, Parachute-y song and i really like the lyrics.

8) I've been an ASFOS apologist from the minute it came out, sure, it's produced by an escandinavian DJ and EDM star but it never stops sounding like Coldplay, there's this recognizable Coldplay sound to it that makes me giddy every single time i listen to it, i can't help but dance every time the song comes on, i love it.

9) O is the best closer they've had since Amsterdam, the lyrics are wonderful and, after we found out in the Zane interview that he poured his heart out in that song, i can't help but feel a little emotional when i listen to it, it really speaks to me, that last 'fly on, ride through' part gets me every time.

Those are the reasons why absolutely love this album and this era, despite what the haters say, Coldplay is in top shape IMO and i couldn't be happier :)

Wasn't sure about Ghost Stories at first. What to expect and although I heard Magic and Midnight and watched the concerts on youtube. I tried not to listen so much to the live versions because I wanted to hear the album versions more..:laugh4: :crazy:

The album is more to me as if a friend has something to tell you and you're not sure if it's going to be something great or bad or they need may only need to tell you something, or lend them an ear. This is what GS feels for me. A friend(Coldplay)playing songs to awesome and always amazing, fresh melodies once again and when you hear all the songs for the first time all together. Although some of the song production or sounds are not what you're used to hearing all the time with Coldplay. You feel happy for them and they are still the same and you are more thankful they have let you into their private things, honored like Will said, we get another brilliant album. A beautiful..and so filled with feelings, no scary there...:lol: and how they get you to connect with them and they make you proud to be a Coldplay fan once again. :heart: I'm happy they decided to tell us these stories and put it all out there and giving us these fresh new song ideas and sounds they are really good at making. How they come up with these melodies and how they stay unique at the same time and trying new things. It's amazing to me. :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the criticisms about GS, I was frustrated. I think this is the best work they have put out since AROBTTH. This type of works seems like a natural extension for the band; building off safety blue room parachutes AROBTTH

I for one was a fan since 1999 and finally feel fully satisfied in my soul listening to this album from beginning to end.. I couldn't say that for xy vlv or mx (as a matter of fact mx really had me disappointed more than xy)

The cohesion emotion and ability to promote heartfelt reactions from me are the sign of a great album

• 2 weeks later...
I'll give you 9 reasons for which i REALLY love this album:

1) Always In My Head is a great opener, it takes me back to the AROBTTH era and that guitar just kills me.

2) I find it really confusing that now everyone seems to hate Magic but i actually like it quite a lot, it's such a sweet, mid-tempo song.

3) Ink is my favourite #3 song on their whole discography, i didn't like it at first but now i absolutely adore it, it puts me in a good mood every single time.

4) True Love is (as Will said) the centerpiece of the album, the song that captures the feeling of the whole era perfectly and it's heart-breakingly beautiful.

5) I was as shocked as the next Coldplayer when Midnight was released but i instantly dug it's lyrics and the whole Kid A, Bon Iver-esque thing that they had going on, it remains one of my favourite songs from this era and it's gorgeous live.

6) Another's Arms is probably the song i like the least from the album because i love it musically but those 'late night watching TV' lyrics just don't do it for me, it's still a great song though, i just think that, had it had better lyrics, it had the potential to be an instant Coldplay classic.

7) I love the sonar sound in Oceans and how it blends in seamlessly with the acoustic sounds of the song, it's a lovely, Parachute-y song and i really like the lyrics.

8) I've been an ASFOS apologist from the minute it came out, sure, it's produced by an escandinavian DJ and EDM star but it never stops sounding like Coldplay, there's this recognizable Coldplay sound to it that makes me giddy every single time i listen to it, i can't help but dance every time the song comes on, i love it.

9) O is the best closer they've had since Amsterdam, the lyrics are wonderful and, after we found out in the Zane interview that he poured his heart out in that song, i can't help but feel a little emotional when i listen to it, it really speaks to me, that last 'fly on, ride through' part gets me every time.

Those are the reasons why absolutely love this album and this era, despite what the haters say, Coldplay is in top shape IMO and i couldn't be happier :)

Great in-depth response :clap: Absolutely loved your post :thumbsup:

Haha I love the title "ASFOS Apologist"! It does feel like a daunting task sometimes, explaining why Coldplay have earned the right to do that song.

I think the biggest idea people have to grasp to appreciate modern music is the path every band takes to get to their present sound. I feel that without a strong back catalog of rock songs, bands haven't really earned the right to mess with synthesizers and electronic drums. I'm sorry, but Kid A wouldn't be Kid A without Pablo Honey, and MX & GS wouldn't work without Parachutes and Rush of Blood. Bands that start there just don't have the depth or raw emotion that comes with these great "modern" records.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this has become my fav Coldplay album for sure, it's the most visual album they made, it's almost like a movie without the visuals. Only Oceans and O arent really great in my opinion, but every Coldplay album has one or 2 weak tracks.

I wish the whole album had the style of Always in my Head, in my opnion now the best track Coldplay ever released.

I think that every song has its own uniqueness that just suits extremely well with the concept of Ghost Stories: they all recount a different story in different styles (different genre, for example, ASFOS is different from Always In My Head) and they are conveyed in a haunting but welcoming way... And as I have read earlier, the opening and the closing of the albums are brilliant: Always In My Head is a great way to introduce the listener to the album while O is a great way to close it. The songs are plain and this is what makes them special in my opinion. Anyways, I love it, it's on repeat here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Ghost Stories because I think it is honest. I may feel that it is my least favourite album from my favourite band, but that isn't saying much. They took risks, for better and for worse, but you can tell no matter what, track to track and as a cohesive album, they were honest. Chris' lyrics are sometimes cringe-worthy, but if that is what he wants to say then more power to him. It is overall quite subtle, chill and surprisingly sexy. Even if you can't stand some of the tunes (I am with you), you can't deny the honest emotion, and that is what I love about Ghost Stories.