✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2014-12-01] Chris Martin to guest front U2 at (RED)

gai

Eh, well I can't stand Kanye, so I skipped over him.

And as I said in another post, the first time I saw Bruce was in 1981 - so yes, you are a young 'un compared to me. Hell, 95% of this board is probably younger than me.

I watched Kanye in case he did anything outrageous :laugh3:

It's fair to say he has a lot of energy onstage!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disrespectful how?? They were screaming BRUUUUUUCCCEEE not BOOOOO lol As they figured Bruce would be coming out next after Chris was done his set

These young 'uns don't know that screaming "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuucccceeeee" is a sign of respect to the Boss. :laugh3:

Oops I really thought they were saying "boo" and at the end, I also thought they were saying "you suck" or "loser". I'm probably just hearing wrong. :uhoh2: If I'm wrong, then that's great! :)

Well to be fair, it was chucking down icy rain, its freaking cold 40F as snow is coming tmw and its in the middle the street in Times Square. They been standing about for 5 hours for a free 1 hour concert they all just found out about this afternoon. Its not a festival lol its NY in December, and most kids went back to school today to boot. I say they rocked out just fine considering

I'm sure they would of expected it when the show time is 7.30! Many fans would of given an arm and a leg to see U2 -1, Chris Martin and The Boss and best of all, they got it for free! I'll be sure to avoid New York in December then haha :laugh3:

I thought I should post a video about what this day is all about, because It's really the important part, to raise awareness. I lived thru the 80's and AIDS was today's Ebola but worse. Our hearts sank when Freddie Mercury passed from it. You knew someone who had it. So glad there is so much awareness now. Part's of O are around the 3:37 mark

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lS0d168juMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Asked a mate on my Twitter about the You Suck or Loser shout some people thought they heard in regards to Kanye West performance...far from the truth....her reply as she was in the crowd missed some Uni classes to go.....

@jammtarts1874 everyone was leaving after Kanye performed bc he was the only one people wanted to see so that's not true hahah

coldplay/chris martin public appreciation level is a little low at the moment anyway i think. regarding the performance, beautiful day was not the best fit, but with or without you was just wonderful!

BD wasn't that good, only Bono can sing that. Chris did great on WOWY though. And Bruce did fine on Where the Streets Have No Name, but my favorite version of that song without Bono singing is definitely when Muse played it with Edge at Glastonbury 2010. It gives me chills every time.

[video=youtube_share;tQ7jeGpJtMA]

Saw the video now. Chris tried his best definately, but these songs are written for Bono's voice, so he definately struggled and he knew that. At least he enjoyed it fully and "substitu2" added kind of funny and awkward undertone to all that. :lol: Chris did what he could, I hope people won't criticise him too much.

Like I thought, Chris' voice struggles to be powerful enough when there is required louder singing, it just goes kind of flat. His voice is quite fragile and it's all about playing with mixing low notes and falsetto. "With or Without You" sounded almost good, not too bad.

It just shows again how much band's identity relies on singer's voice and how certain songs are meant to be performed by only certain group of people.

Saw the video now. Chris tried his best definately, but these songs are written for Bono's voice, so he definately struggled and he knew that. At least he enjoyed it fully and "substitu2" added kind of funny and awkward undertone to all that. :lol: Chris did what he could, I hope people won't criticise him too much.

Like I thought, Chris' voice struggles to be powerful enough when there is required louder singing, it just goes kind of flat. His voice is quite fragile and it's all about playing with mixing low notes and falsetto. "With or Without You" sounded almost good, not too bad.

It just shows again how much band's identity relies on singer's voice and how certain songs are meant to be performed by only certain group of people.

I thought Chris sounded beautiful in both songs, probably more in WOWOY because it was better suited to his voice.

I liked the way it sounded just like Chris Martin singing U2 songs, wouldn't want him to sound like Bono because they both have completely different styles and voices.

He was so amazing as always. The man is perfect x

A review from COS: Full link - http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/12/u2-minus-1-give-their-first-and-only-performance-watch/

U2 Minus 1 make their live debut, with Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin — watch

by Ben Kaye

on December 01, 2014, 9:38pm

1 comment

screen-shot-2014-12-01-at-8-34-01-pm.png?w=807

On Monday evening, a bevy of stars put on a surprise show in Times Square to mark World AIDS Day and support RED. After “a minute and a half of serious stuff” from President Bill Clinton, U2 kicked off the concert with Coldplay’s Chris Martin filling in for a banged up Bono. Martin did his best to hit those big notes in “Beautiful Day” before slowing things down for “With or Without You”. Say what you will about Bono, but the man has some inimitable pipes. (Well, unless you’re Jimmy Fallon.)

Martin sent his love to Bono and thanked the band before exiting the stage. After a clip summarizing the work of RED, The Edge hung around to join Carrie Underwood in a performance of her song “Change”.

After Underwood and Kanye West’s respective sets, U2 came back in full and started in on “Where the Streets Have No Name”, playing through the familiar intro before Bruce Springsteen walked on to take the mic. Garbed in a leather jacket and red necklace, The Boss was a solid fill-in for Bono, putting as much of that legendary energy into the performance as he would a song of his own. He dedicated “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” to the absent singer, giving the final refrain over to the NYC crowd in epic fashion.

Replay the full performance below. U2’s sets take place at the 7:00 and 38:30 marks.

To help support RED’s effort to fight AIDs, you can donate now at red.org/Thankyou, and Bank of America will match your donation.