✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Best Album Opener?

X2YandZ

Over the past 6 albums, Coldplay have always opened the albums strong and powerful. The question is how would YOU rank them?

My Opinion

1. Politik

2. Square One

3. Always In My Head

4. Don't Panic

5. LIT/COL (I'm combining these because I consider LIT a really long intro)

6. Mylo Xyloto/HLH

...Though 3, 4, and 5 fluctuate frequently.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Life in Technicolor (A beautiful piece of music imo, from the electronic intro to the main rhythm it really sets the vibe of the album in the best way possible)

2. Politik (Great lyrically and musically, however stretches on a bit too long for it to take the #1 spot)

3. Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven (My personal favourite song from the album (combing the two), it also sets the vibe of the album very well, especially lyric-wise)

4. Square One (Overall good song, one of the best from X&Y, and it has some of the best lyrics in an intro from Coldplay)

5. Always In My Head (I don't really like this as a song, however it is a great pick for an intro)

6. Don't Panic (Good song, awful as an intro)

I love all of Coldplay's openers. The album opener is always one of the most important songs on the album, because it needs to set the stage and get the listener hooked right out of the gate. Coldplay's openers always do such a fantastic job of expressing: "Welcome to this album. We hope you enjoy your stay." by capturing the feel of the entire album perfectly and giving people an idea of what is coming. Here are my favorite Coldplay album openers in order:

1. :mx: Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven

2. :ghoststories: Always In My Head

3. :x&y: Square One

4. :arobtth: Politik

5. :viva: Life In Technicolor

6. :parachutes: Don't Panic

It's so hard to answer it but I think I'll rank them:

1 Politik - as an opener the music and lyrics combine perfectly to introduce the listener to a powerful album

2 Square One - the countdown, music and lyrics show the journey you're about to start

3 Always in my Head - it sums up the whole album

4 Life in Technicolor - the first opener without lyrics that shows the diversity of sounds the listener would identify

5 MX - a different sound

6 Don't Panic I love the song but as an opener there is something missing

1. Square One (favourite cp song)

2. Always In My Head

3. Don't Panic

4. Politik

5. Mylo Xyloto

6. Life in Technicolor (I really like Life in Technicolor ii though, it's just better with vocals)

We have the exact same list!

:arobtth:1. Politik (Just an incredible song, one of Coldplay's best)

:viva: 2. Life in Technicolor (it would be #1 if it was LIT II)

:gs: 3. Always In My Head (It's just so nice and dreamy, makes me feel in love)

:mx: 4. MX/Hurts Like Heaven (I love this song so much as well, these are hard to rank. It's a party song)

:parachutes: 5. Don't Panic (It's never been my favorite song but it's a really nice song, not that great as an album opener, tho. Should have opened Parachutes with Shiver or Spies)

:x&y: 6. Square One (I've never loved this song, I love X&Y but X1 has never been my favorite)

1. Politik - Best song they've done. Epic, intense, cinematic, sweeping, powerful, politik.

2. Don't Panic - Underrated, Jonnys guitar is gorgeous

3. Life in Technicolor - Happy, bittersweet and colourful.

4. Square One - Solid opener, driving and energetic

5. MX/HLH - Eno and Jonny save these really - something true of MX in general.

6. AIMH - Good but forgettable and a bit bland. Ghost Stories, basically.

They are all good songs and album highlights though. (Though maybe not LIT but only because Viva is such a good album)