✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

But as you noticed, many of the "all-Coldplay-fans" flame at you when you say something in the direction of, they were better before MX, or I hope LP7 is not gonna be like MX, in the LP7 thread or other places so it's cool to have this thread to discuss and lament as much as we want to among kindred spirits

Exactly! It's nice to have our own platform :)

So Oldplayers, as we approach information on LP7 I think it's worth discussing possible collaborations ('Cause we all know it's going to happen, unfortunately) I used to always joke about Arianna Grande/Miley Cyrus as possible collaborations but even the Newplay cynic I must seem to be, I never thought that was fathomable and always said it jokingly, but after Global Citizen it seems this horrifying prospect could be closer to reality than I imagined. I expected maybe Rihanna or Beyonce or someone, but Arianna Grande was only ever a nightmare locked away in the recesses of my mind... now it seems it's up for discussion.

On the other hand, If a collaboration is a must, Ed Sheeran seems like another plausible suggestion. As much as I hate the very concept of collaborations (I view them as a superficial mutual gain for both parties. More sales and a higher chart position as the two sets of fandoms cross genres, rather than a genuine interest in artistic output or endeavor) atleast Ed Sheeran is a talented young man and a lot more genuine than aforementioned artists.

Hello oldplayers. Nice place you've got here!

Before y'all go, 'eek, its that newplayer guy who likes to stir shit up', I'd actually consider myself an oldplayer more than an old one. LP2 was the album that got me hooked in the first place. And while I don't mind their work post LP4, I do rank LP2 as the best output from the band.

Now that you know that i'm not here to troll, a simple question to the hardcore oldplayers:

Is there any song post LP4 that you actually like?

There's many songs post 4 I actually like, but unfortunately usually it's only a flash in the pan or left off the album completely in favour of something bland and uninspired. Midnight is amazing because it has the same level of authenticity and creativity as anything up to LP4. AYF, GS and Oceans (Especially love the electronic pulse flowing through this) I adore them because they sound more like Coldplay's previous work, they're not drowned in production and believe it or not, I like them because they are different. I have nothing against change. I just despise mundane and self-serving change. What's particularly frustrating is the band choose to leave these songs off the album in favour of say, True Love. Which I think we can both agree is one of Coldplay's most forgettable tunes.

As far as MX goes, Paradise is a guilty pleasure of mine (mostly because of Jonny's guitar work) and I like Major Minus for much the same reason. Everything after that is pretty much untenable for me.

It seems they have forgotten about their core fanbase in favour of pursuing a different target market. I'm just not in that demographic. I'm of the belief certain types of music are more "valid" or authentic than others. I know some people will take offense to that but it's just my belief (And I know many people share it) Coldplay have departed(for the most part) authenticity in favour of easiness and this is where the frustration lies.

• Like 1

^Hello there!

First of all, I dislike MX as a whole but there are some episodes which can be considered enjoyable: for example, Hurts like Heaven is a wonderful album opener with an energic rhythm (I also appreciate Jonny's solos and the new-vave atmosphere), though the voice is not clearly audible. Up with the birds is another song i really like, especially the ambient-like atmosphere. And oh, Moving to Mars is surely one of their masterpieces.

GS is, in my opinion, a strange album: you need to know about Chris' personal life to fully appreciate LP6. I like Oceans, but I consider this album "just" a collection of simple melodies, not really inspired: i find their "soul", as I said in my previous post, in songs like "Ghost Story" and "All your friends".

In conclusion, I dislike MX and GS because they seem too artificial to me, made of "easy" tunes that can conquer a large number of new fans, apparently forgetting about the old fanbase, more accustomed to a different way of making music from the band. It's just my opinion but I believe a lot of people share these thoughts.

Now that you know that i'm not here to troll, a simple question to the hardcore oldplayers:

Well, on MX I'm quite partial to Major Minus, DLIBYH, and UWtB. Hurts Like Heaven isn't half bad, but it's one of those songs where I have to been in a certain mood to appreciate it :P On GS: Midnight, Another's Arms (live version, anyway. Jonny's guitar is to die for), Oceans, Ghost Story, and All Your Friends. Others: Moving to Mars, Wish I Was Here (has one of the best lyrical phrases/allusions I've ever heard agh), and Gone But Not F. Cotton :lol:

Not a bad list, I suppose, it's just that for all those songs I actually like, most of the ones they're surrounded by on their albums I literally never listen to.

EDIT: As for Amazing Day, it's alright. I keep flip-flopping between liking and disliking it. Right now I'm leaning more toward liking it so I'll just say it's very sweet and calming with a nice singalong at the end. It is a bit boring, though, and barring a few lines the lyrics aren't anything spectacular. Guy's bassline = :heart:

I love this thread, it's so objective and peaceful.

As for Amazing Day, it's alright. I keep flip-flopping between liking and disliking it. Right now I'm leaning more toward liking it so I'll just say it's very sweet and calming with a nice singalong at the end. It is a bit boring, though, and barring a few lines the lyrics aren't anything spectacular. Guy's bassline = :heart:

100% agree

This is the most accurate thing I've ever heard in my life :bigcry:

Moving to Mars and Ghost Story were the two best songs from their respective eras, and what do they get? B-side status :disappointed:

Yes! Such heartbreak! [emoji174]

Hello oldplayers. Nice place you've got here!

Before y'all go, 'eek, its that newplayer guy who likes to stir shit up', I'd actually consider myself an oldplayer more than an old one. LP2 was the album that got me hooked in the first place. And while I don't mind their work post LP4, I do rank LP2 as the best output from the band.

These are my favorites from LP5-LP6: Up with the birds, up in flames, Don't let it break your heart, major minus, moving to mars, always in my head, true love, another's arms, O, ghost story.

Once again, i'm sure we'll get a great song that won't be included on AHFOD that will better than the entire album. [emoji23][emoji22][emoji52][emoji24]

Hey at least we all get to hear it eventually... It's not as desirable as a whole album full of such songs but we at least usually get a few. They've got to find a way to earn their money and fulfill their ambition as well, one of which is to reach as many people as possible, which may mean more commercial-sounding numbers...

No matter the actual album track listing, they have always found a way to release their other songs that they deem worthy, as a b-side / whatever... Given how big they've grown, their challenge is to bring together all of their fan base and satisfy as many people as possible, which means if you only like a certain portion / genre of their music, then there will be significant amounts of an album to dislike.

Consider doing the unthinkable and take advantage of the iTunes revolution by only buying / listening to songs you like? Even though MX is my favorite album just by strength of their first 9 songs (up to MM), I only rarely listen to the whole album in its entirety... I often skip straight to UWtB after that

Hey at least we all get to hear it eventually... It's not as desirable as a whole album full of such songs but we at least usually get a few. They've got to find a way to earn their money and fulfill their ambition as well, one of which is to reach as many people as possible, which may mean more commercial-sounding numbers...

No matter the actual album track listing, they have always found a way to release their other songs that they deem worthy, as a b-side / whatever... Given how big they've grown, their challenge is to bring together all of their fan base and satisfy as many people as possible, which means if you only like a certain portion / genre of their music, then there will be significant amounts of an album to dislike.

Consider doing the unthinkable and take advantage of the iTunes revolution by only buying / listening to songs you like? Even though MX is my favorite album just by strength of their first 9 songs (up to MM), I only rarely listen to the whole album in its entirety... I often skip straight to UWtB after that

MX and GS are actually my least favorite albums but i still bought both of them and listen to them all the time. I only skip a few songs, princess of china, midnight, and ASFOS. I will continue to support and listen to the band no matter what. I even ripped amazing day from youtube to my itunes. [emoji23]

This is the most accurate thing I've ever heard in my life :bigcry:

Moving to Mars and Ghost Story were the two best songs from their respective eras, and what do they get? B-side status :disappointed:

Unfortunately I think this portion of their fan base is now the minority... I know that's where their roots are and how they established themselves at the beginning but I think they have a greater ambition to capture as many listeners as possible and that means some degree of pop / less musical material. They at least haven't forgotten us and regularly release these songs at some point in the album cycle, even if just as a B-side, etc.

I'm glad they're a conscientious band and not afraid to play and explore different things - this means when they work on their rock songs there is still room for growth and things sound fresh... Think how Major Minus has really great guitar rock outs that are a progression of Chinese Sleep Chant and their earlier work. Or some bits of GS eg Oceans, O, AIMH, GS itself sound like more mature versions of a Parachutes incarnation.

• Like 1

It seems they have forgotten about their core fanbase in favour of pursuing a different target market. I'm just not in that demographic. I'm of the belief certain types of music are more "valid" or authentic than others. I know some people will take offense to that but it's just my belief (And I know many people share it) Coldplay have departed(for the most part) authenticity in favour of easiness and this is where the frustration lies.

I couldn't have said it any better, that sums up my thoughts very well.

The song Ghost Story proved that the band can still make amazing songs, it's just that they don't want to. [emoji51]

Exactly. Also, that means for me that every album (for I consider GS to be an album song) has at least one song I absolutely love, and this in turn gives me hope that there is at least one song to look forward to on LP7.

MX and GS are actually my least favorite albums but i still bought both of them[...]I will continue to support[...]the band no matter what.

Forgive me for what I'm about to say, but just this behavior of buying the albums even if you don't like most of the songs on them might be one of the reasons why Coldplay don#r realize how many people they've alienated with their new styles. They don't see a drop in sales, so they think, great, everyone still loves our work. it might be refreshing for them to actually realize that a large proportion of the older ans are disappointed, and not buying the disc might be a way of bringing that to their attention.

If you still want the disc in order for your collection etc., a good alternative in this respect is buying it in a used condition and not new.

On another note, The Adversary asked about collaborations. I alway believe Coldplay are at their best without any collaboration; however, if they choose someone of today's pop music world to lend their voice to one for their songs, I would want it to be Lana Del Rey. Her voice is very special and while I don't like the themes of her songs, most her songs have a beautiful heavy instrumental. Her voice just fits accompanying "heavy" instrumental arrangements and would thus fit into an album sound complemented by string and horns.

Interesting 'behind the scenes' footage of the band during the early days here. Chris playing a bit of Amsterdam at the beginning well over a year and a half before AROBTTH was released. Short snippet of acoustic Shiver which I'd love to hear more of:

[video=youtube;77795PZ0FX4]

Looks great, thanks for the find ! I'll definitely watch it later.