✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Interesting 'behind the scenes' footage of the band during the early days here. Chris playing a bit of Amsterdam at the beginning well over a year and a half before AROBTTH was released. Short snippet of acoustic Shiver which I'd love to hear more of:

[video=youtube;77795PZ0FX4]

the nostalgia is strong with this one, whew!

Especially seeing the band in my age there :sweatdrop:

Forgive me for what I'm about to say, but just this behavior of buying the albums even if you don't like most of the songs on them might be one of the reasons why Coldplay don#r realize how many people they've alienated with their new styles. They don't see a drop in sales, so they think, great, everyone still loves our work. it might be refreshing for them to actually realize that a large proportion of the older ans are disappointed, and not buying the disc might be a way of bringing that to their attention.

If you still want the disc in order for your collection etc., a good alternative in this respect is buying it in a used condition and not new.

On another note, The Adversary asked about collaborations. I alway believe Coldplay are at their best without any collaboration; however, if they choose someone of today's pop music world to lend their voice to one for their songs, I would want it to be Lana Del Rey. Her voice is very special and while I don't like the themes of her songs, most her songs have a beautiful heavy instrumental. Her voice just fits accompanying "heavy" instrumental arrangements and would thus fit into an album sound complemented by string and horns.

The band has always had a huge fanbase, they know that whatever they release will turn into gold. They don't even have to have chris sing on an album and it will sell[emoji23] Oldplayers, Newplayers, it doesn't matter who u are. The band doesn't care. They just like to explore different sounds. Regarding the music sales, viva's sales and GS sales differ dramatically, GS has sold way less than Viva, it just went platinum a couple of days ago, where as viva went platinum in it's first week. It doesn't matter how much or how little the band sell, they don't care about record sales. All i'm saying is that the band will continue to make music, it doesn't matter how bad a lot of the fans want the old style coldplay back.

• Like 1

The band has always had a huge fanbase, they know that whatever they release will turn into gold. They don't even have to have chris sing on an album and it will sell[emoji23] Oldplayers, Newplayers, it doesn't matter who u are. The band doesn't care. They just like to explore different sounds. Regarding the music sales, viva's sales and GS sales differ dramatically, GS has sold way less than Viva, it just went platinum a couple of days ago, where as viva went platinum in it's first week. It doesn't matter how much or how little the band sell, they don't care about record sales. All i'm saying is that the band will continue to make music, it doesn't matter how bad a lot of the fans want the old style coldplay back.

yup, they're too rich now to care :awesome:

I'm rich too. I found €5 on the ground today.

show-off :angry:

For them, it's not about the money, it's about making different music.

I knowww, that's why I posted this ridiculous :awesome: smiley at the end. But they really don't have to give a shit now (in their early days where they actually needed moneyZ) since they could practically stop now and don't have to worry about getting broke :wacky:

Interesting 'behind the scenes' footage of the band during the early days here. Chris playing a bit of Amsterdam at the beginning well over a year and a half before AROBTTH was released. Short snippet of acoustic Shiver which I'd love to hear more of:

[video=youtube;77795PZ0FX4]

Many, many thanks! What a rare gem :D

Remember that time during a MX concert when Chris bragged about how rich they are ? And immediately afterwards said, nah I shouldn't have said that :D

Here is the snippet: from 40:20 onwards

[video=youtube;vC20KpydBYg]

That is one of my points though; I feel bad about making them (and the label and so on) even richer for music I don't like. That's why I didn't buy MX and GS and will not buy AHFOD if it turns out to be what I fear it will be like. Just my two cents on that...although of course touring contributes much more to the band's fortune than the album sales. But we're digressing from the thread's actual purpose. :)

Remember that time during a MX concert when Chris bragged about how rich they are ? And immediately afterwards said, nah I shouldn't have said that :D

Here is the snippet: from 40:20 onwards

[video=youtube;vC20KpydBYg]

That is one of my points though; I feel bad about making them (and the label and so on) even richer for music I don't like. That's why I didn't buy MX and GS and will not buy AHFOD if it turns out to be what I fear it will be like. Just my two cents on that...although of course touring contributes much more to the band's fortune than the album sales. But we're digressing from the thread's actual purpose. :)

You know that most of the money they were earning from the MX tour, they spent in creating the Xylobands? They literally spent millions of their own money to make us part of the show. [emoji2]

Is there any song post LP4 that you actually like?

Great question. Of course there are songs that still tickle my senses but there are very few. In Mylo Xyloto the only songs I go back to are Major Minus and Up with the Birds. As for Ghost Stories I find Oceans and All Your Friends particularly interesting.

But there is one song that I think beautifully showcases the band's ability and musicianship to create a true masterpiece, and it's Ghost Story. A huge number of people on this forum mistake our desire for the band to return to their original style as a hunger for repetition, which is absolutely wrong. When you listen to Ghost Story you're instantly reminded of Coldplay circa 2003, but of course it sounds nothing like anything on their earlier records. It's the perfect exhibition of evolution within your established boundaries. It's basically the band doing a proper simple rock song that truly captures that original Coldplay sound that we all reminisce about without relying on resemblance or similarity. And it's the only Coldplay song since 2008 that I consider will remain a classic, which is a long fucking time!

Obviously the band CAN create an entire album in the vein of Ghost Story and the other songs I mentioned above, but they won't. And this is extremely frustrating.

Post LP4 songs that I think are good:

Christmas Lights (but I consider it as the last "Oldplay" song)

Moving To Mars

Major Minus

Up With The Birds

Atlas

Wish I Was Here

Always In My Head

Midnight

Oceans

All Your Friends

Ghost Story

O (Part 2/Reprise)

The rest goes from decent to bland to absurd

The rest goes from decent to bland to absurd

^ Well said !

I'll give it a go : songs from MX : Hurts Like Heaven (very Arcade-Fire-esque, which is good imo), Major Minus (full potential when it's played live), UFO, UWTB.

Songs from GS : AIMH which is truly beautiful and simple, Oceans (beautiful acoustic gem with ambient outro), Another's Arms (full potential when it's played live, again) and of course Midnight.

I remember when we heard Midnight for the first time, as a true Jon Hopkins/Jamie xx/Caribou/Four Tet lover I was like "wow they have the balls to do this after MX" and naively i thought all the album was going to be this : ambient, experimental, unconventional, electronic in a GOOD and elaborated way, taking risks with pop songs and bringing artistry back after 2 years of stadiums and rainbow butterflies and confettis.

And then Magic came, and then the Zane Lowe interview with snippets from ASFOS came and that was like a fucking slap in my face after something like Midnight. I do understand why they wanted to try stadium rock with MX, we always knew they'd try to be U2 someday, and this day came and it was MX, and it was awful but it was fine 'cause we were awaiting it.

But what they did with GS is worse imo, 'cause it's a bit of a treason to tell people that an album with ASFOS, Ink and True Love in it is actually an intimate album, after you yourself redefined what is intimate pop with Parachutes. It's a bit weak to create the buzz with an experimental song and then go back to OOOOOOOh & stars & true love with a lot of cheesy strings. And fucking Avicii.

It's like they tried something, but they couldn't do it, so they filled the blank space with Oooohs and stars and what i said just above.

It's a far worse approach than the MX one imho. Because it's not only a desire to make more popular music and to reach the top of the charts like they did with MX, it's also a pure lack of inspiration.

Oh and sorry, double post but it's just that I can't find this video filmed during the viva era sessions, a bit long (like 17 minutes or something) where you can see jonny and will playing with an electronic beat at the beginning, it seemed to be a very interesting one but i lost it... could someone remind me the name of the video please ? thank you !

Hm. Post-LP4 songs I like...

Charlie Brown

Major Minus

Up in Flames

Atlas

Always In My Head

Magic - this is actually my fav song on GS. I love its simplicity.

Another's Arms

Ghost Story - I wish they released this as one of the lead singles. Then maybe people will shut up about how Coldplay sold out, is bland or not as good as they used to be. THEY'RE WONDERFUL THEY JUST SOMEHOW DON'T WANT TO BE :bigcry:

Songs like Paradise and ASFOS are fun to bop to sometimes but meh. Looking at it optimistically I'm glad they worked with Avicii for ASFOS instead of people like Calvin Harris, Diplo, Hardwell, Guetta, etc. I absolutely cannot stand EDM except at clubs (I club like once to twice a year lol) but if I had to pick, I would pick Avicii because I find the rest even more annoying. I just cannot wait for the EDM trend to just. Fucking. Die. Already. I feel it's everywhere because my friends adore EDM and listen to it all the time, urgh.

I'm not that much into ambient music so I don't like Midnight and O that much. When I first heard Midnight I was like "Wtf?" However, I have a playlist on Soundcloud that I play when I go to bed; if we take away Chris' voice, those tracks are what I would add to that playlist. They sound wonderful to fall asleep to but just not what I enjoy listening to in the day.

Sometimes, when I listen to Oceans, I feel like Chris will start to go "Shiverrrrrrrrrr~~~~" somewhere in the middle of the song lol. I think it's the falsetto. Random thought haha

But what they did with GS is worse imo, 'cause it's a bit of a treason to tell people that an album with ASFOS, Ink and True Love in it is actually an intimate album, after you yourself redefined what is intimate pop with Parachutes. It's a bit weak to create the buzz with an experimental song and then go back to OOOOOOOh & stars & true love with a lot of cheesy strings. And fucking Avicii.

It's like they tried something, but they couldn't do it, so they filled the blank space with Oooohs and stars and what i said just above.

It's a far worse approach than the MX one imho. Because it's not only a desire to make more popular music and to reach the top of the charts like they did with MX, it's also a pure lack of inspiration.

I like your take on Ghost Stories.

Well first of all thanks for the Fillmore video. Gosh they were young back then... :laugh3:

Moreover I find it interesting that Oldplayers seem to have a similar choice in post-LP4 songs that they like.

My personal choice would be for the MX era: Paradise (the guilty pleasure), Major Minus (only really good song on the album imho), and MtM. For GS: AIMH (not really liking but it's one of the better ones), Midnight, O, AYF, and GS.

I find it extremely sad to watch talented bands like Coldplay sell out. That's one of the things I hate about the music industry. It's all about money and appealing to the masses instead of writing creative, innovative music. If LP7 will be another schmaltzy feel-good album, I hope we will at least get another one of these b-side gems (tbh this is the only reason I'm still here :lol:).

Somebody voted to eliminate White Shadows in the latest round of the Singles elimination game and I felt offended because it's one of my all-time favourite CP songs lol. Who cares if it was more a special release than a single

tumblr_nubtxl9Qej1uelehno1_500.gif

I find it extremely sad to watch talented bands like Coldplay sell out. That's one of the things I hate about the music industry. It's all about money and appealing to the masses instead of writing creative, innovative music. If LP7 will be another schmaltzy feel-good album, I hope we will at least get another one of these b-side gems (tbh this is the only reason I'm still here :lol:).

I'm going to naively believe that they haven't really sold out :cry2: Obviously their musical influences changed drastically, especially with Chris who happens to be the centre of their music writing. And Jon Hopkins mentioned in an interview somewhere along the lines of the guys being very open to different genres of music and experimental, which probably led to something like Midnight. They're also in a very different place in life now; they're well-adjusted guys who are almost 40 with beautiful families, they're long over the age of insecurity, angst and rebellion.

Just can't help but to wish they stuck to their roots more like with Major Minus, Ghost Story, etc. I'm sure it's possible for them to be experimental and keep to the alt rock roots at the same time.

• Like 1

Somebody voted to eliminate White Shadows in the latest round of the Singles elimination game and I felt offended because it's one of my all-time favourite CP songs lol. Who cares if it was more a special release than a single

tumblr_nubtxl9Qej1uelehno1_500.gif

I'm going to naively believe that they haven't really sold out :cry2: Obviously their musical influences changed drastically, especially with Chris who happens to be the centre of their music writing. And Jon Hopkins mentioned in an interview somewhere along the lines of the guys being very open to different genres of music and experimental, which probably led to something like Midnight. They're also in a very different place in life now; they're well-adjusted guys who are almost 40 with beautiful families, they're long over the age of insecurity, angst and rebellion.

Just can't help but to wish they stuck to their roots more like with Major Minus, Ghost Story, etc. I'm sure it's possible for them to be experimental and keep to the alt rock roots at the same time.

Thank you [emoji108]