✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Glastonbury 2002. Listen to this. When, oh when did they decide to replace those awesome guitar atmospheres between and before songs with today's sugarsweet-synth-pop warbling ?

Speaking of which, who else loves the guitar intro and middle part of the Live 2003 DVD "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" ?

Imagine a shoegazing album laden with Jonny's guitar awesomeness jesus :dead:

I like that, too !

I believe it started with

1.) critics unfairly ripping apart X&Y, hence the desire of the band to change, which resulted in getting...

2.) Brian Eno on board, and then at the same time....

3.) Chris's shifting tastes in music and, as has been pointed out, increasing friendship and collaboration with big pop/rap acts of the time

• Like 1

I think a lot of it has to do with the band being very Chris-centric as well. I mean their dramatic shift in sound had to be a conscious decision and I doubt Guy stood up one day and said "Let's not be the best rock band in the world anymore. Let's settle on doing collaborations with Rihanna and Avicii"

The anecdote about the lads not wanting to put ASFOS on GS because it broke the structure and flow to an otherwise intimate album and then Chris insisting on it until he got his way. To me this is very telling and perhaps the other 3's creative input is hampered in a way as (it seems) from the outside Chris makes all the important decisions and the Guy, Jonny and Will just follow his instructions and the music is just churned out on a production line.

It would make you wonder if any of them think "A Rush Of Blood To The Head was one of the best albums of all time, I wish we could stop all this pop nonsense and go back to being a band again"

• Like 1

Wow I like this thread a lot.

In terms of what you're all talking about, I always got the impression that the band was very much carried by Chris. Like the rest of them had input and whatever but it was always Chris making the decisions. I almost hope that none of them regret what they're making just because that would be a really shit feeling. And I feel like if they reversed direction and tried to make an album more like AROBTTH for example it would just be a pile of shit because that album was genius and genuine and I don't think they could ever recapture the emotion of it.

Yeah, the band is very centered on Chris. Which was actually OK when Chris was still that sentimental young guy insecure about life, love, the future and genuinely astonished at their success. But now, I feel Chris has been living the celeb lifestyle along with his friends being big pop acts too long to actually feel or show that kind of insecurity and melancholy of his earlier days again. Its funny that GS actually had the goal of being an intimate record, but for some reason failed to evoke that atmosphere of genuine and raw emotions of the Oldplay times. And it would be interesting indeed to find out how the other members feel about it. Especially Jonny and Will, I have a feeling they would be the kind of persons who are probably not 100% behind the new direction.

Wow I like this thread a lot.

Thanks !

Speaking of which, who else loves the guitar intro and middle part of the Live 2003 DVD "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" ?

Imagine a shoegazing album laden with Jonny's guitar awesomeness jesus :dead:

It already happened slightly...

[video=youtube;xgzg50JtQNo]

I love CP, I love shoegaze, so I love Chinese Sleep Chant

For me this band made 3 masterpieces and one great album after that. Would the band who wrote Politik have brought some Disney princess who doesn't have two talents to rub together up on stage with them??

It seems to me this ill-advised pop endeavor is just a sick joke that has gone on far too long. I have defended Coldplay to the death for years now and they're starting to lose me. For Coldplay to lose me, a bloody Coldplay fundamentalist... that's telling. If AHFOD follows the direction of the greatly bland Amazing Day (and God knows what collaborations we're to expect :stunned:) I'll be ashamed to call myself a Coldplay fan.

Think I'll be hibernating in this thread for the foreseeable future.

I'll be ashamed to call myself a Coldplay fan.

I am worried about the fact that this day may come. Already now many younger listeners seems to only know stuff MX-onwards, meaning that when I say I like Coldplay it is being set equal to I love colour-pop, ASFOS, ETIAW stuff. Then I have to say, well no, actually I only like their earlier work. And since it's somewhat awkward to add that every time, I may well start not say anything at all.

It seems to me this ill-advised pop endeavor is just a sick joke that has gone on far too long.

I've sometimes found myself wondering whether not the original 3(-4) albums and sounds were a joke from them and what they are currently doing is only showing their real face and interests. I haven't yet found a complete explanation for the significant change in quality after VLVODAAHF.

• Like 1

IMHO, Brian Eno wasn't the problem. It started all with the Chris' popularity after Viva La Vida and his friendship with Jay-Z

This! I think it's Chris' popularity and his new-found love of EDM that is the reason for Coldplay's downfall. Although he seems to be a really nice guy he may be too naive and perhaps it's the influence of famous friends that makes him move the band in the direction of mainstream pop.

This being said, I'm greatful to see that there are other people who love the old era the same as me. This thread includes some amazing live performances of the "good old days".

Although the video quality is bad here's one of the rare live performances of Yes. The best part is the crazy coda starting shortly after 3:54.

[video=youtube;yHFT9azqwSc]

God how I'd love them to go back to that style...

• Like 1

I believe we've talked in length about all these issues for the past 8 years and honestly I'm exhausted. Remember that discussions within the rock scene also take place in real life because not everyone is necessarily involved in fan forums. And everyone I know and talk to who've followed the band is a lot more damning and direct with their criticisms because they can freely express their true opinions without persecution.

I think a band who has repeatedly and intentionally ignored and alimented their core fan base will naturally fall into abyss in the end. Coldplay's current output is, musically and technically speaking, utterly dreadful. And it has been for the past few years. But obviously they will never lose popularity because as I've said they're very much a generational band as in some will become interested and follow them for a while and then another group of younger fans come in and it's just a cycle being repeated.

There is not much to talk about in terms of the band's legacy, because there isn't one. When you look at bands who started out before or around the same time as Coldplay (Travis, The Verve, Keane, Oasis, Anathema, Blur, Muse, Pearl Jam and of course Radiohead) you quickly realize they fall short hilariously in all aspects, be it pure musical talent, quality of their output or how they've shaped the world of rock alternative music. I hope people who really think Coldplay are a groundbreaking phenomena and the be-all and end-all of music try to explore what is out there in the rock scene so they can find truly great music.

The final point I wish to address is the question of why I'm still here while so many thousands lost all interest years ago and while people vigorously and aggressively attack my points in the forum. And it's because Coldplay made 3 tremendously amazing records that, without exaggeration, had a huge positive effect on my life. Just like all my other favourite bands mentioned above. But more importantly, I believe Coldplay had so much potential to genuinely lead the scene as one of the greatest ever, but unfortunately they lost it all somewhere along the line. And that for me is extremely frustrating.

Since this place turned into fucking North Korea with people wanting to put your head into a guillotine if you don't drool over everything Coldplay, I try to avoid posting or reading as much as I can. But I quite like this thread so thank you for providing a safe platform. And sorry for the long post. I hope that unlike me, you continue to enjoy Coldplay's music.

Although the video quality is bad here's one of the rare live performances of Yes. The best part is the crazy coda starting shortly after 3:54.

[video=youtube;yHFT9azqwSc]

God how I'd love them to go back to that style...

I've never seen this outro before... It's really fucking amazing. It makes me feel weird that 7 years ago they could still be so adventurous in front of a huge arena, and make epic rock outros to an already epic rock song, with weird time signatures and harmonies that are a bit more complicated than the paradise-ASFOS I / VI / III / VII.

And seriously Amazing Day is just shite. From the beginning to the end. Stop taking fucking yoga lessons with Jay-Z in malibu and bring back your anger, your nightmares, your questions about life and space, just bring the artistry back, basically.

(oh and it feels good to be in a thread where no one's gonna yell at you)

Can I just say you have summed it up beautifully.

I think a band who has repeatedly and intentionally ignored and alimented their core fan base will naturally fall into abyss in the end. Coldplay's current output is, musically and technically speaking, utterly dreadful. And it has been for the past few years. But obviously they will never lose popularity because as I've said they're very much a generational band as in some will become interested and follow them for a while and then another group of younger fans come in and it's just a cycle being repeated.

Yes, I also agree the forums can be quite one-dimensional. A lot of the time people seem more interested in the bands outfits, artwork and the "cutsey-wootsey" things Chris says rather than the quality of the actual music. I think there's really a generational gap like you said, Whereas I would have always considered Coldplay a rock band up with the likes of Radiohead, Oasis etc and when I come to a Coldplay forum I expect to speak to other rock fans who appreciate "real" music so to speak. But there is a serious contingent of people who like pop music in the forum, that's perfectly fine I suppose but you end up with this factionalism as two completely opposing groups of fans are constantly debating the direction of the band and constantly goes round and round in a never ending cycle (It's very hard to debate someone who thinks Amazing Day is as good as Clocks :rolleyes:)

Can I also make an observation that it must be difficult for the band to carry on the way they used to (in their earlier days) now that they all have families to take top priority. It must be crap for them that 3 members are in the UK and Chris is spending his time on the other side of the Atlantic where his ex and kids are. I also wonder about his emotional state...

It may be 'making excuses' and a moot point to make, but we can't unscramble the egg so to speak. The band have always so relied on Chris as their emotional centre that when he loses his emotional centre / is 'not feeling it' they all get lost. It may be inevitable that AHFOD is the 'end of an era' - they probably need to re-evaluate everything and either find a way to reconnect and reconcile everything pulling them apart, or possibly consider a 'parting of ways' of sorts, I suspect their integrity calls for it

• Like 1

Guys I currently feel the same way you do: it looks like Coldplay have lost their... soul? I don't know if this is the right term to define their (visible) lack of originality. Amazing day just goes on and on without a real direction, IMHO: it looks like they're tired of making music.

When MX came out I was just a bit disappointed: I'm ok with the synthesizer nebula they used in the whole album. I enjoyed even some songs from GS: I am still hopeful about the upcoming record, but it's really hard to be a fan of a band loved by other people for so-called "hits" from the last two (three?) albums.

I agree with you all, even if I like Amazing Day actually, it's an ok song imho, nkt a masterpiece obviously.

The only reason why I still follow them is because I'm waiting for their last great record. I know that one day they will put out a proper CP record after this poppish period. Something truly experimental for them, not this EDM driven pop that just doesn' fit with them

• Like 1

Hello, the Viva fangirl is here :charming:

^ Agreed about Amazing Day. I mean, I think it's a very "pretty"-sounding song, and some of its lyrics aren't horrible. It does, however, follow that very comfortable formula that the guys seem to have fallen into: nothing original, nothing spectacular, very safe. It's come to the point where, if AHFoD continues to follow the path of the last two albums, I will be hoping that the guys take a hiatus for a couple of years just to attempt to find themselves again . . .

Really, they need to find a reason to need to prove themselves to the world again like they had to do with ARoBttH and Viva

(It's very hard to debate someone who thinks Amazing Day is as good as Clocks :rolleyes:)

As an aside, can I just say that as someone from a 'classical' music background I used to think that Clocks was quite meh and unoriginal... I played the piano and those arpeggios sounded boring as hell to me, like practicing scales :rolleyes: I think a number of piano players, probably Will included might see that. It's only over the years that I've learnt to appreciate the electrifying driving energy is what makes Clocks unique and a gem :)

(Sorry for sort of putting down the song in a thread dedicated to their earlier era, but I just couldn't help myself :P

• Like 1

Stop taking fucking yoga lessons with Jay-Z in malibu and bring back your anger, your nightmares, your questions about life and space, just bring the artistry back, basically.

I love this statement so much! :lol: I need badass angst ridden Coldplay lyrics, not this "I liEK STARS AND OOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOUUUU"s crap

I wanted to quote a few of the brilliant posts on here with which I agree with, but in the end I quoted the entire darn page.

I think we are all somewhat of the same opinion that Coldplay lost their awesomeness somewhere around/after Viva? To me at least, I think Viva was about as colourful as this band was "allowed" to go, you know. I believed more colours and ridiculous rainbow-butterfly farting would be over the top. And then MX came out oh my lord hahaha. I do think the last 2 albums had a few, not many, but a few nice songs. But how is it that just a single song like "We never change" is, in my eyes, better than the entire Ghost Stories album?! And MX just seemed empty, soulless, apart from maybe two songs :sad: It felt like Coldplay inhaled some social media and pooped out unicorn muffins :shame:

I know a lot of you might disagree with the things I just said, and I feel like I'm somewhat not adding anything new to this thread, but it feels really nice to talk about the band and its issues without getting called names... not that I would give a damn but I do like constructive answers to my posts lol.

• Like 1