✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD - YOUR reviews

Coeurli

Only have time for a numbering right now, and I have only listened to AHFOD for ca. 1,5 times:

In terms of comparisons:

0 = worst Coldplay song ever

10 = best Coldplay song ever

Before you hate on my low ratings, bear in mind that I absolutely love Coldplay's earlier work and can't help comparing their new output to their earlier output.

1. AHFOD - 3/10 (Live - 5/10)

2. Birds - 5/10

3. HFTW - 2/10

4. Everglow - 1/10

5. AOAL - 1/10

6. Fun - 4/10

7. Kaleidoscope - 1/10

8. Army Of One - 1/10

9. XMTS - 0/10

10. Amazing Day - 2/10

11. Colour Spectrum - 1/10

12. Up&Up - 1/10

you should do another review compering to what you got this year form other artists because im curious here what's your highest rated albums overall this year ?

or you don't listen to other musics other than the " Oldplay " one ??

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should do another review compering to what you got this year form other artists because im curious here what's your highest rated albums overall this year ?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my AOTY is Get To Heaven by Everything Everything. I mention this because I'm listening to it now and realising how much it has in common with AHFOD.

Like AHFOD it has very slick modern pop production, and features lots of electronic beats and synths, disco style guitars, big falsetto sing-alongs and even a tiny bit of English white-boy rapping. Songs like Distant Past, Get To Heaven and S/S/W/D have the sort of pop-oriented melodies and structures made for radio. The band have said in interviews the album was influenced by the likes of Kanye West, Daft Punk and One Direction. They even got the guy behind Madonna's albums to produce it ffs. But unlike Coldplay, EE did a subversive and inventive take on the genre, fuelled by passion and raw emotion. They took the cliches and twisted them in ways one wouldn't expect, whereas Coldplay just played them straight down the line whilst doing a half-assed job at it.

It just goes to show that it's possible to make a slick modern pop album and have it turn out brilliantly. You've just got to be creative about it. I have no doubt Coldplay probably have what it takes to make such an album, but AHFOD isn't it.

This will be long so skip to the next post, unless you want to get bored!

Ok, so I’ll first say this album takes a few listens to get your head around. On first listen I was struggling to ‘get’ it. So I’ve given it a few spins before putting my thoughts down. Reading what people’s opinion of it so far confirm my suspicions after my first listen. This album will divide opinion. I’ve read a lot about OldPlay & NewPlay. The simple fact is, this is what the band sound like now. The signs have been there for a few albums now, but you can definitely call this a “Pop” album pure & simple. There are some great parts & some very bad parts ‘X’ Marks the spot i’m looking at you. They have tried to change their sound & it’s given mixed results, but fair play to them for trying it. I’ve read a lot of things having a go at Chris’ lyrics. He’s never been as gifted as his contemporaries, when it comes to lyrics & there are some shocking ones on here, but i’m not going to beat him with that stick. Onto the album itself:

A Head Full of Dreams:

Yes it sounds like a U2 song. Especially at the start, I half expected Bono to start singing, Jonny’s guitar sounds very ‘The Edgy’. Chris has made no secret of his admiration for U2, so it had to happen eventually. But It’s actually a good song. Maybe a bit too much production (something which is a theme all the way through the album). Think it will be a great live song. One more thing to say if you hate the singalong woahhhs of VLV & Sky full of stars. You will hate this album!

Birds:

Hated this song on first listen. But it has grown on me very quickly. Carries on Chris’ fascination with Animals & soaring heights that’s always been in his lyrics. It’s a uptempo song with the soaring trademark Coldplay chorus that we come to expect now. This would fit right on MX. Quite poppy quite upbeat. Just feels like that little bit of magic is missing.

Hymn for the Weekend:

Another song that takes a few listens to work out. I will say this Chris’ voice works better with Beyonce than Rihanna. Beyonce sounds great which you’d expect from her. Chris sounds like he’s trying too hard to sound cool (that’s the best way I can put it). With all the production on this track you forget that that there are 3 other members. It’s gets better as the song moves along but this song is pure pop & sounds like everything around at the moment. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s just bit of a shock the first couple of times you hear it & you remember this is Coldplay.

Everflow:

I really can’t decide on this song. It has the ‘OldPlay” piano & chris sound. Johnny’s subtle guitar sound from the classic quiet songs, which is great. I think the thing that puts me off is again that word ‘Production’. Too many tricks are being used on a song that should be very stripped back. There’s this voice on the song that cuts in at the end of a lot of the verses, it’s a production trick & it ruins the song for me. Could have been so much more, by being less.

Adventure of a Lifetime:

This is one of the better songs on the album. It’s one of the few songs the whole band get into a good groove & aren’t completely drowned out by the production. You can really hear Guy & Will’s rhythm section coming through, Johnny doing what he does so well. It has the whole EDM ‘underwater sound’ breaks but I don’t think that hinders the song at all. Chris sounds more comfortable on this one. It’s a catchy song & will be a great live track at those summer shows. Again would have fit right in on MX.

Fun:

The next two proper songs are the poppiest things on the album. The way it starts this song could go anywhere but when the chorus comes in, it goes the wrong way for me. Tove Lo’s voice works well with Chris’ . But the rest of the band are fighting against the production again. It’s a good solid pop song that lots of people will love & it does grow on you a bit but just doesn’t quite do it for me.

Kaleidoscope:

I always love the interludes/intros/outros on Coldplay’s albums this just doesn’t sound right. Its 3 small sections the middle part with the guesthouse being read it quite nice with the tune behind it. The start is all over the place. The last section with Obama singing? is just pointless.

Army of One:

The last of the Pop songs on the album. It’s very similar to Fun just without another voice on it. The rest of the band fighting the production again & sounding like they’ve given up at one point. It popped into my head on about the 10th listen of this song that I could imagine Taylor Swift singing this song when she wanted to sound edgy. I think that’s the problem people will have with this album as a whole. It’s too much a product of the music around at the moment. As a pop song it’s fine, it’s just missing that Coldplay magic.

‘X’ Marks The Spot:

The less about this song the better. It’s bad. Fair play for trying something so different, but maybe keep it to a b-side not a song on your album. If you thought Chris was trying too hard on Hymn for the Weekend, it gets almost comical here. There’s one line (you’ll know when you hear it) that’s probably the most cringeworthy in the bands history. It might be the worst thing they’ve done.

Amazing Day:

The contrast between this & the last song is night and day. This is a song that says don’t worry as much as we sound like a pop group we’re still Coldplay. When Johnny’s riff kicks in you know it’s going to be ok. Plus you can actually hear the whole band on this song, what production there is, actually compliments the song, it isn’t fighting the band like on previous ones. Chris’ voice sounds good, Will & Guy are guiding the song along. One of the best on the album.

Colour Spectrum:

Another interlude. Nothing really happens in this one, lots of distant voices. A bit pointless really they’ve done these so much better before.

Up & Up:

Great song love it. The way it builds is good. Will be a great end song to a gig. Does have a ‘We are the World’ vibe to it. But as an album closer, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. It’s not perfect, the production again is fighting against the band, the most glaring example of it is when Noel Gallagher’s guitar part kicks in where he’s playing with Johnny. It’s almost drowned out by the backing track. That should be front & centre in the song.

In conclusion it’s not their best album. The flow in places is off. The main issue is the production on the album. I’m not sure how many songs Stargate have produced on the album, but you can feel it on nearly all of them. The constant battle between the band & the production on the songs is evident & sometimes gets pretty ugly. But it does redeem itself I’d say the album is half good half bad there are 5 songs I like AHFOD, Birds, AOAL, Amazing Day and Up & Up. Like everyone, this is just my opinion. If anyone has bothered to read all of this, thanks you’re a trooper!!!

I've got to hear this album properly, not on a laptop.

This must be the first Coldplay album which I've not rushed to listen to again.... I don't know why..

It's going to take me a few good listens to make my mind up...

It does seem there's far too many songs without Jonny on them...???

Hymn for the weekend is by far the worst album track Coldplay have done....

Stand outs for me are Fun, Everglow and Army of one..

I always wanted Coldplay to bring out something fresh, challenging and different from the last, and I applaud them for this..

Will I still listen to this after a year or two... time will tell..

For me... 7/10

The main issue is the production on the album. I’m not sure how many songs Stargate have produced on the album, but you can feel it on nearly all of them. The constant battle between the band & the production on the songs is evident & sometimes gets pretty ugly.

We experienced the same messy over-production on MX but not to this extent. As you pointed out correctly when you listen to the whole album it does feel like a constant struggle. In some instances I ask myself how Guy and Will could just let it slip so easily.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my AOTY is Get To Heaven by Everything Everything. I mention this because I'm listening to it now and realising how much it has in common with AHFOD.

Like AHFOD it has very slick modern pop production, and features lots of electronic beats and synths, disco style guitars, big falsetto sing-alongs and even a tiny bit of English white-boy rapping. Songs like Distant Past, Get To Heaven and S/S/W/D have the sort of pop-oriented melodies and structures made for radio. The band have said in interviews the album was influenced by the likes of Kanye West, Daft Punk and One Direction. They even got the guy behind Madonna's albums to produce it ffs. But unlike Coldplay, EE did a subversive and inventive take on the genre, fuelled by passion and raw emotion. They took the cliches and twisted them in ways one wouldn't expect, whereas Coldplay just played them straight down the line whilst doing a half-assed job at it.

It just goes to show that it's possible to make a slick modern pop album and have it turn out brilliantly. You've just got to be creative about it. I have no doubt Coldplay probably have what it takes to make such an album, but AHFOD isn't it.

That is a superb album and a great comparison. Unfortunately most people's counter argument here is that Coldplay just want to make happy dumb music for the masses. But why has that become the case?!

This must be the first Coldplay album which I've not rushed to listen to again.... I don't know why..

I always wanted Coldplay to bring out something fresh, challenging and different from the last, and I applaud them for this..

For me... 7/10

I'm pretty sure Jonny is in each song very promintely. That's one of the things I enjoy anout the album.

For me... 7/10

I'm pretty sure Jonny is in each song very promintely. That's one of the things I enjoy anout the album.

Personal comparisons:

True Love - 1 / 10

The Scientist/Viva la Vida - 10 / 10

1. A Head Full of Dreams ( 7 / 10 )

The song has a great beat and it's the perfect way to start the album. It's got awesome lyrics however it's been over-produced and my perception of the song has changed since hearing it live. I know it will be a good set opener for the tour.

2. Birds ( 9.5 / 10 )

This song has to be my favourite from the MX/GS/AHFOD trilogy. The pace, the guitar and the artistic feel it has is superb. It's the closest Coldplay returns to their roots on this album. The abrupt ending is a creative method to flow straight into the next song...

3. Hymn for the Weekend ( 8 / 10 )

I was unsure about this song when hearing the 10 second snippet. Having listened to this, I can say I am pleasantly surprised. I love that cow-bell and the changes between the chorus and verses; it's certainly different compared to songs we hear on the radio. It's a good different.

4. Everglow ( 7 / 10 )

I enjoy the ideas presented in the lyrics about this lasting impression someone can have on you ("an Everglow"). But the melody is quite average and isn't going down any new directions.

5. Adventure of a Lifetime ( 7.5 / 10 )

I like the riffs and the beat AOAL has. I'm not really into disco but Coldplay has a way of making any genre sound at least decent! The lyrics aren't amazing.

6. Fun ( 8 / 10 )

The duet between Chris and Tove Lo is fantastic. Their voices fit together to create a song that is more touching than most songs in the MX/GS/AHFOD trilogy. The only downside is that some of the lyrics are cheesy.

7. Kaleidoscope ( 5 / 10 )

I like the poem. It's sweet. However, there's little flow in the transition from the end of Fun to the classical piano sound leading into the poem recital. The transition to Army of One though, however, is semi-decent. This is nothing more than what Chris wanted to put on the album for himself.

8. Army of One ( 6.5 / 10 )

It's a decent pop song. There's too much auto-tune but there are some of the better lyrics on here (e.g "my heart is my gun") from the whole album. For a pop song, it's good. For me, not so much.

8.5. X Marks the Spot ( 2 / 10 )

I'm going to exclude this from my overall view of the album just because it's an anomaly. The lyrics are the opposite of creative. Horrendous.

9. Amazing Day ( 8.5 / 10 )

Amazing Day has an awesome bass line and the lyrics reach out to me. The melody is sweet and it's peaceful. For what the song was set out to do, Coldplay have done an excellent job.

10. Colour Spectrum ( 5 / 10)

Not much to say. I like it's a kind of summary of the album up till that point which leads nicely into Up&Up.

11. Up&Up ( 9 / 10 )

This is an outstanding album closer and potentially the final song we'll hear from Coldplay for a while. Two guitar solos from two of my favourite bands guitarists with backing vocals from Beyonce as well. The lyrics make me feel that this song is a culmination of the MX/GS/AHFOD trilogy. The lyrics give me goosebumps, especially when Chris sings "don't ever give up".

Overall: 7.5 / 10

If you haven't listened to the album before, I recommend: Birds, Up&Up, Fun, Amazing Day and Hymn for the Weekend.

I previously gave the album an overall of 6.7 but it’s growing on me. I can’t wait to see them on tour!

1. AROBTTH

2. VLV

3. MX

4. AHFOD

5. X&Y

6. Parachutes

7. GS

2. Birds - 5/10

3. HFTW - 2/10

4. Everglow - 1/10

5. AOAL - 1/10

6. Fun - 4/10

7. Kaleidoscope - 1/10

8. Army Of One - 1/10

9. XMTS - 0/10

10. Amazing Day - 2/10

12. Up&Up - 1/10

Changed my mind a bit after a few more listens to the entire album. Here's my new rating:

2. Birds - 5/10

3. HFTW - 2/10

4. Everglow - 1/10

5. AOAL - 1/10

6. Fun - 5/10

7. Kaleidoscope - 1/10

8. Army Of One - 0/10

9. XMTS - 1/10

10. Amazing Day - 2/10

12. Up&Up - 1/10

I don't follow too many contemporary artists; most of it is not to my taste. Other than Coldplay, I mainly listen to classical music and select songs from a variety of artists. Probably the band with most songs on my playlist after Coldplay is Pink Floyd. But as I said, I'm really picky about music.

I'll rate X&Y, my co-favorite album with AROBTTH, just so you as to give you all a within-Coldplay comparison:

1. Square One 8/10

2. What If 10/10

3. White Shadows 8/10

4. Fix You 10/10

5. Talk 10/10

6. X&Y 5/10

7. Speed Of Sound 9/10

8. A Message 8/10

9. Low 7/10

10. The Hardest Part 5/10

11. Swallowed in the Sea 3/10

12. Twisted Logic 4/10

13. Til Kingdom Come 3/10

• Like 1

I don't follow too many contemporary artists; most of it is not to my taste. Other than Coldplay, I mainly listen to classical music and select songs from a variety of artists. Probably the band with most songs on my playlist after Coldplay is Pink Floyd. But as I said, I'm really picky about music.

Hey! I listen to classical music instead of contemporary artists a lot too!! Coldplay is the only modern band I really listen to, and maybe some old school rock but that's about it.

My Final Review (sorry that it is so long! )

Whether we like it or not, Coldplay has fully delved into pop music on AHFOD—and as always, they know how to put together a cohesive, thoroughly entertaining album. Plus, it has some of each member's flashiest instrumental moments and even some refreshingly thoughtful lyrics and themes from the usually platitudinous Chris Martin. Unfortunately, AHFOD is not the new classic Coldplay album many were hoping for, and while the life-affirming concepts and colorful energy comes through, poor choices in production sometimes hamper otherwise great songs.

The first two tracks on the album are perhaps the strongest. AHFOD sparkles into existence with a funky bass-line, disco-flavored drums, and sharp Edge-inspired guitar. After Guy, Jonny and Will felt hushed on Ghost Stories, this is a welcome return to form for the world’s biggest pop rock band, with a signature emotional sing-along to boot. The song seamlessly slips into Birds, the strongest track here which is propelled by a post-punk, Cure-esque rhythm section and sloppily perfect, twanging guitars throughout. The melody is perfect, and Martin’s mumbled vocals recalls Coldplay’s earlier work, building into a massive string-filled and fittingly soaring conclusion.

From here on out, however, the album mostly feels more glossy than textured, much like its predecessor. The admittedly catchy Hymn For the Weekend never lives up to its brassy, funky potential and settles with a generic pop chorus that rambles about being drunk on love and life; a huge pity considering the great Queen Bey provide backing vocals. Even Everglow—a track that has one of Martin’s most beautiful piano melodies to date—suffers from a dull, heavy drumbeat and a chorus that feels all too familiar.

The album’s lead single Adventure of A Lifetime luckily offers up an excellent pop tune that is forgivable given its dance ready, euphoric bridges. But Fun, a flaccid wall of sound with an utterly forgettable melody, kills that momentum despite lovely backing vocals from Tove Lo and a full contribution from the band.

The center piece of the album, Kaleidoscope recites “The Guest House,” a poignant poem about finding peace and acceptance in times of joy and despair. Backed with classical piano and psychedelic atmospheres, it is a strong piece of music, but one is left pondering if the album’s lyrics have earned sampling this famous piece of literature.

The next two tracks, Army of One and X-Marks the Spots find Coldplay treading new territories. The former is Coldplay doing a solid, albeit unoriginal, version of synth-pop while the latter controversially dives straight into hip-hop, sounding more like Kendrick Lamar’s “Swimming Pools” than anything else. Nonetheless these songs are an enjoyable and catchy detour from Coldplay’s typical rock quartet sound, even if they out of place on this album.

Our album ends on two heavily celebrated live tracks, Amazing Day and Up&Up. While they maintain their lovely melodies and most important instrumental moments (guitar solos!), they are held back from too many electronic flourishes that drown out the instrumentation that we want to hear. The use of a drumpad for both of these songs, for example, feels confounding and even headache inducing if your headphones are turned too far up.

What is left, however, is a very good pop album. If you can get over the minor annoyances of an over-modulated drum pads or overused themes, every song on AHFOD has something enjoyable and creative to offer. But Coldplay continues the frustrating trend of trying to be too many things at once. Up&Up, for example, tries to be a Britpop, soul and choir filled explosion of hope, while also retaining a bass heavy pop beat. Like ASFOS before it, this track and many songs on AHFOD suffer from this forced union of genres which results in neither coming out the victor. This leaves tracks that are not as emotionally down to earth or optimistically explosive as they should be.

But quite a few moments on this record do reach levels of such enjoyment and creative pop melding, leaving us with numerous classic Coldplay moments to treasure when this era has passed.

AHFOD-9/10, Birds-10/10, HFTW-7/10, Everglow-8/10, AOAL-9/10, Fun-6/10, Kaleidoscope-9/10, AoO-8/10, XMtS-7.5/10, AD-8.5/10, Up&Up-9/10

As a music fan, my review is a 7.5/10. As a Coldplay fan, my review is an 8.3/10.

• Like 2

I thought I'd save my review until I had heard the official version of the album, so here goes.

These were some notes I jotted down while listening to the album at 12:30 in the morning, so please forgive me if they are a little choppy

AHFOD: Drums are spectacular. Great concert opener. Great work by Jonny and Guy. Really makes me wanna dance. Great singalong

Birds: Cool gapless transition between AHFOD and this. Upbeat song. Easily the best song on the album. In fact, it's one of the best things the band has done post-X&Y. Guitar reminds me of HLH. Beautiful lyrics and message. For some reason, this song makes me feel like getting in an airplane and flying somewhere! Peaceful. The only negative thing is that abrupt ending

HFTW: Obviously written with the music video in mind. I think Chris can write better lyrics than "I feel so drunk and high" I know he means he's drunk and high on life and love, but still. This just isn't my type.of song. Instrumentation is good, if not a little messy.

Everglow: A nice piano ballad, but I think it's easily forgettable. It's no Fix You...maybe because it never explodes into that incredible ending. It is a really sweet song.

AOAL: Another song with a great instrumental track. I already posted a big review back when this song came out, so I'm not going to rewrite that. Just know I like the song

Fun: Another highlight of the album. It has a nice peaceful vibe to it, and I think it represents some kind of closure in Chris' relationship with Gwyneth. It is a collaboration done right. Tove Lo has a beautiful voice, and her parts are kept mainly in the background so they are not to overpowering....good choice!

Kaleidoscope: A nice idea by Chris, but really just a filler. This will most likely be a song I skip every time it comes on. How many times can I listen to the same poem being recited?

Army of One: At first, I didnt like this song, but it has really grown on me. It has a really powerful sound. It makes me feel like I can do anything! The background voices dont really bother me anymore.

XMTS: As a song, it's good. Nice beat and everything and an interesting idea by Chris. As a Coldplay song, not so good. I dont listen to songs like Hotline Bling, and this song reminds me of that.

Amazing Day: In my book at least, this song will go down as one of the greats. I thought all the live versions were great, but the album version blows them all out of the water by a long shot! It serves its purpose as a nice, calming song after Army of One and XMTS

Color Spectrum: Kinda weird hearing all the oh-ahs amd woohoos floating along. MX instrumentals were better. But I have a question....did they use part of this song at the beginning of AHFOD (the song) or is this song an extended version of the beginning of AHFOD....?

Up&Up: The piano is nonexistent. Overall, it's just a chilled version of the live version....then again, what Coldplay song isn't? I like the choir part in this song. Those guitar solos....wow! As always, Coldplay knows how to end an album, and I think this is the perfect closer.

So now my ratings:

(I am rating the songs by comparing them to each other, not Coldplay's entire discography)

AHFOD: 9.5

Birds: 10

HFTW: 4

Everglow: 6

AOAL: 7

Fun: 9

Kaleidoscope: 4

Army of One: 8

XMTS: 3

Amazing Day: 9.5

Color Spectrum: 3

Up&Up: 7

Overall as an album (in comparison to other Coldplay albums)

My rating

Ahfod-8/10

Birds-10/10

Hymn for the weekend-9/10

Everglow-8/10

Adventure of a lifetime-8/10

Fun-8/10

Kaleidoscope-7/10

Army of one-9/10

X marks the spot-6/10

Amazing day-9/10

Colour spectrum-7/10

Up&up-9/10

Overall i rate it 8.5/10

Hi guys!

So second time through. Here are some initial thoughts:

AHFOD - Great opener, maybe second for me behind like LiT, wish that the words were a little more audible. Will check out the live version for that. Definitely a positive vibe. A

Birds - Wow. Wow. As a fan of Phoenix, this feels right up their ally. Just so happy and can definitely be a sound track to some movie montage scenes (sorry). I like the sharp drop at the end; can't have all songs end the same. A+

HFTW - Growing on me. Beyonce is a great edition, and the melody is great. You want to love the lyrics in this sort of combo, but it's kind of hard even for an arden fan. Find it harder to love than other big center tracks (i.e. Viva La Vida). Still, great music sound, and I think it works around Chris's theme. Need some more listenings. B

Everglow - Decent. We got a lot of Coldplay ballads that are better, and some are worse. Definitely better than a lot of MX/GS (Up in Flames, True Love) seem like the comparisons. C+

Adventure of a Lifetime - Fantasticly fun, like an younger sibling to ETIAW. It actually makes me go back and appreciate the former (which honestly could fit on this album as the center song IMO more so than on MX). Anyways, love the full band use in this and feels like high energy. B+

Fun (ft. Tove Lo) - Underrated possible hit hear. There's something very magical about this pairing and the lyrics are more Coldplay. I like how it starts loud -> duet -> quiet. Could see this going places. A-

Army of One - A little less catchy than I thought it would be. Maybe needs more listens. The music sounds good. B-

X Marks the Spot - The Q review said it best. Maybe some hidden tracks are best truly hidden. Not as terrible as forums were hyping it, but heart boom line is fairly awful. D

Amazing Day - A classic. Absolute classic. Heck, I think half of the songs here are classes. We've heard this one a lot, but the sway style, beautiful strings, and nice lyrics. A+

Up & Up - I need to listen to this live version that everyone is talking about, but this one is no slouch. Reminds me of hey jude in that it's supposed to be quiet and builds. The perfect message that ties in with the Guest House, and the solos are fantastic. Definitely Coldplay meets Champagne Supernova meets Hey Jude. A

Transition Tracks - Come on guys, no need to be so harsh on these. They are what they are! I like how CP does them, and luckily the album length doesn't suffer like I felt like with MX. Yes the numbers are the same.

Overall - This might be a case, unlike ghost stories, where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Not sure if there is a standout track of the album nor how cohesive it is. Yet, there are a bunch of strong individual songs and the theme of recovery resonants (Up&Up). B+

• Like 2

Oh goodness guess who finally listened to the album! (Once) First a disclaimer that I'm treating this album as its own piece of work first. I don't even want to begin to compare it just yet until the songs have really set it so it's the last thing on my mind.

First things first, the album definitely cannot be listened to as background noise- just isn't gunna happen ahaha

So AHFOD- Kinda disappointed the guitar is buried in there, but other than that it's a brilliant opener and super super catchy! (8/10)

Birds- everybody here says its such an amazing song, but (and maybe it needs a couple more listens or something) but it seems to be missing something to become this 'amazing' song IMO. But I mean that aside its actually great, the beat is infectious and definitely not pop so that's exciting! That being said I'm sure it's gunna grow on me! (8/10)

HFTW: I really love the beginning, and who doesn't love Beyoncé! The actual song is good, it's definitely not what I'd think is a Coldplay song and is super poppy I'll admit, but it also is super catchy. Which is good. I don't know how my father would approve of CM being 'drunk and high' but oh well. Probably will do really well on the radio cuz it's just so goddamn catchy!!(7/10)

Everglow: okay sure it isn't no fix you, but definitely better than half the 'slow' songs on GS, and it isn't that boring really ahha, I mean it does its job and that's good. Probably shouldn't be a single though... (7.5/10)

AOAL: this song probably started as a (6/10) because disco isn't really my deal, but the beat is slowly melting into the background to me and the amazing guitar is standing out. It's probably now an (8/10)

Fun: This song is pretty brilliant, I love Love To on it, it really gives this song some symbolic value, actually probably one of my favourite on the album!! I also love the guitar! (9/10)

Kaleidoscope: actually brilliant! Honestly 10/10!!! The poem is so symbolic which I love and the background music is just enchanting and I love it I love it I love it!!!!

Army of One: Worst song off the album hands down. I barely remember what it sounds like it's so bad. It's not as dull as Another's Arms but just as forgettable. I'm not really into it. (3/10)

X Marks the Spot: Actually zoned out a little after Army of One so needs further listening hahahaha

Amazing Day: way better on the album then live. Pretty much the stereotypical Coldplay song IMO but it's good none the less. It feel a slight bit empty though, I'll blame it on Stargate (7/10)

Colour Spectrum: nothing magical, won't rate it because it's pretty pointless and not as inspiring as Kaleidoscope is...

Up&Up: yes, the live version is brilliant but I won't discredit this song just because of the live version. It seems as if it was purposefully dimmed down in the beginning, and then built on as it went on. I love that effect and I love how the emptiness soon gets filled. One of the best album closers I've heard. (9/10)

Overall I love this album, definitely well put together and so catchy, sure it's not a masterpiece but it definitely isn't BAD. I'm pretty pumped guys, new era WOOO!!

• Like 1

loved the album (better than MX for sure), but it won't be my favorite coldplay album of all time.. sorry...

my favorite songs from the album are everglow (listened it 100 times so far!) and amazing day

a head full of dreams 7/10

birds 9/10

hymn for the weekend 4/10 ( i am just gonna add it to my sport-running playlist)

everglow 10/10

adventure of a lifetime 7/10

fun 6/10

kaleidescope 7/10

army of one 6/10

x marks the spot wtf is that 5/10

amazing day 10/10

colour sprectrum meh...5/10

up&up live version was better... 7/10

total: 8/10

Lyrics are better than their last 2 albums, chris done it well :p :p

Solely based on studio versions

1) Birds (9.5/10)- Love the alt vibe

2) AHFOD (9/10)- Awesome rocker, reminds me of Square One

3) Fun (8.5/10)

4) Army of One (8.5/10)

5) Amazing Day (8.5/10)- kinda disappointed with studio version

6) Up&Up (8/10)- Much better live, very well-written song

7) Everglow (8/10)- Same thoughts as with Up&Up

8) AOAL (7/10)

9) HFTW (6/10)

10) X Marks the Spot (3/10)- Just not good

Transition tracks: Both very beautiful instrumentally, Colour Spectrum incorporates parts of most other songs which is really cool

I posted my rankings in the other thread, but I thought it would be interesting to see exactly how this stacks up with my favorite and least favorite Coldplay albums . . . also so you all can see how much of a crazy Viva fangirl I am lol. For further perspective 5/10 is the cutoff for what I consider to be a "good" song; 7/10 and up are prone to be played on repeat to death

A HEAD FULL OF DREAMS

1. Up&Up (8/10, live version is like 9.5/10. I can already tell this is going to be one of those songs where I hoard 15 different live versions)

2. A Head Full of Dreams (8/10 love the bridge and the ooh-ohh-ohhs)

3. Birds (7/10 best lyrics on the album, the ending makes me laugh)

4. Hymn for the Weekend (6.5/10 it's like PoC except better in every way, also dat bass)

4. Fun (6.5/10 didn't like this one at first, but I actually like Tove Lo's voice paired with Chris's)

4. Everglow (6.5/10 strangely enough, I feel like the live version is much better even though they sound exactly the same)

4. Kaleidoscope (6.5/10 best interlude since Life in Technicolor started the trend)

8. Adventure of a Lifetime (6/10 could be vastly improved with better lyrics and none of that dumb chopped up vocal stuff under the riff)

8. Amazing Day (6/10 very pretty, but never really did anything for me)

10. Army of One (3/10 the "heart is a gun" line is good, but that's the only good thing good about this)

11. Colour Spectrum (-/10 love the name, but can't really rank it)

12. X Marks the Spot (0/10 you know you messed up when you're ranked lower than a white noise interlude . . . the sad thing is that for the first two lines "staring at darkness/staring at doom" I was like YES YES YES, but as soon as that "my heart, boomboom boom boom boom" line hit, everything just fell over and died)

Total: 6.5/10

VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS

1. Violet Hill (10/10 I just can't even fathom the perfection)

1. Death And All His Friends (10/10 legendary climax)

1. Strawberry Swing (10/10 Jonny's guitar on a loop for an hour alone would be at least an 8/10 okay)

1. Yes (10/10 sexy low voice Chris. Lust. Darkness. Unf.)

... I can't pick my favorite off Viva, okay? :p

5. Chinese Sleep Chant (8/10 we need more of whatever the heck you call this)

5. 42 (8/10 it's like DaAHF's little brother!)

5. Cemeteries of London (8/10 Guy's bass Guy's bass Guy's bass)

8. Viva la Vida (7/10 the song that started the obsession along with Clocks. This will always have a special place in my heart. This would probably get a much higher rating if I had only listened to it once rather than having it on repeat for basically the first two years after I discovered it lol)

8. Lovers In Japan (7/10 Fun. Upbeat done freaking right. This is they way you blend pop and rock)

8. Life In Technicolor (7/10 This is the best instrumental track okay, fight me)

11. Lost! (6.5 Not bad, but a few too many hip-hop things)

12. Reign of Love (6/10 Again, not bad but a little boring)

Total: 10/10

GHOST STORIES

1. Midnight (8/10 love the melancholic atmosphere)

1. Ghost Story (8/10 Best lyrics by a mile)

3. Oceans (7/10 Was a grower, really didn't like it when it first came out. Lovely sound)

3. All Your Friends (7/10 My Viva throwback track <3 Great lyrics, good ending)

5. O (5/10 Very pretty, but doesn't really go anywhere. Good live)

5. Another's Arms (5/10 Again, good live. Album version is kind of lackluster)

7. Always In My Head (4.5/10 Good song in certain circumstances . . . but not right now)

8. Magic (4/10 Eh.)

9. Ink (1/10 It doesn't even sound like a Coldplay song?)

9. True Love (1/10 There's a hip-hop beat? And violins? What is happening? The one point is because of Jonny's solo and the "lie to me" line. Everything else may as well be X Marks the Spot)

Total: 4/10

I have to listen to it again later because I was not in the best mindset to listen to the new Coldplay sound. This new even more Pop than MX sound was making me nervous. I was happily surprised that I loved AOAL and I listen to it on repeat since it had released. So I was hoping this would happen with the new album. But after my first listen to the whole album, I can't remember a song that stands out for me just yet. I just feel like listening to their old stuff instead. Kind of sad about this new direction to be honest, but as a loyal fan I hope the album will grow on me like MX did. I'll just accept that this won't be a favorite album of mine and keep supporting the boys and keep hoping they come back to their roots. I still can't wait to see them live though, that's a whole different experience that I know I will enjoy :)

I have to listen to it again later because I was not in the best mindset to listen to the new Coldplay sound. This new even more Pop than MX sound was making me nervous. I was happily surprised that I loved AOAL and I listen to it on repeat since it had released. So I was hoping this would happen with the new album. But after my first listen to the whole album, I can't remember a song that stands out for me just yet. I just feel like listening to their old stuff instead. Kind of sad about this new direction to be honest, but as a loyal fan I hope the album will grow on me like MX did. I'll just accept that this won't be a favorite album of mine and keep supporting the boys and keep hoping they come back to their roots. I still can't wait to see them live though, that's a whole different experience that I know I will enjoy :)

You may wanna check out this thread: www.coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv.104785/ :)

• Like 1

Okay, I finally got to listen to it yesterday but didn't have time to write a review, so here it is:

A Head Full of Dreams

Very U2-ish as everyone said. Great album opener. - 7.5/10

Birds

Great indie-pop song. Unfortunatly the abrubt ending takes away from it. - 8/10

Hymn For The Weekend

"So high, so high"? More like "so bye". Nevermind, just kidding. It's Okay, I guess. Won't skip it but certainly won't be in my playlist. - 5/10

Everglow

Beatiful song. The production doesn't bother me at all. I actually think the distorted "hey hey"s and electric drums fit nicely. - 9/10

Adventure of A Lifetime

It does what it's supposed to do. Upbeat dancable song. The guitar riff gets a little bit repetitive for me. - 7/10

Fun (ft. Tove Lo)

I was expecting generic sugar-pop from the title but it's actually great. I like how the meaning isn't "Wow! life is so fun!" as I was expecting it to be and was more like "We used to have fun, maybe we could again" - 7.5/10

Kaleidoscope

This is by far my favourite interlude track. The ambient armosphere, soothing piano, and the narration fit really well together. - 9/10

Army of One

I actually kind of like this song. Not much to say. - 6.5

X Marks the Spot

It's not THAT bad. I feel like this would have been better if it had an actual rapper featuring in it. It's a very... odd song. - 4/10

Amazing Day

This one has avery gracious and beautiful melody. I don't like it as much as others seem to do, but it's still great. - 8/10

Colour Spectrum

It's just an interlude. Not that it's bad, but there is literally nothing to say about this. ?/10

Up&Up

Aww... damn you Stargate! The only song that the production ruins for me. Why would you remove the piano? It's supposed to be a epic album closer, but it feels so empty. I would much rather have ten too many instruments than one too little. However, the amazing guitar solos and Hey Jude-ish sing along at the end make it up for me. - 9/10

The album itself is great in my opinion. I don't really mind the Production at all, and I love the bright, colorful atmosphere it has. 8/10

Okay, I finally got to listen to it testerday but didn't have time to write a review, so here it is:

A Head Full of Dreams

Very U2-ish as everyone said. Great album opener. - 7.5/10

Birds

Great indie-pop song. Unfortunatly the abrubt ending takes away from it. - 8/10

Hymn For The Weekend

"So high, so high"? More like "so bye". Nevermind, just kidding. It's Okay, I guess. Won't skip it but certainly won't be in my playlist. - 5/10

Everglow

Beatiful song. The production doesn't bother me at all. I actually think the distorted "hey hey"s and electric drums fit nicely. - 9/10

Adventure of A Lifetime

It does what it's supposed to do. Upbeat dancable song. The guitar riff gets a little bit repetitive for me. - 7/10

Fun (ft. Tove Lo)

I was expecting generic sugar-pop from the title but it's actually great. I like how the meaning isn't "Wow! life is so fun!" as I was expecting it to be and was more like "We used to have fun, maybe we could again" - 7.5/10

Kaleidoscope

This is by far my favourite interlude track. The ambient armosphere, soothing piano, and the narration fit really well together. - 9/10

Army of One

I actually kind of like this song. Not much to say. - 6.5

X Marks the Spot

It's not THAT bad. I feel like this would have been better if it had an actual rapper featuring in it. It's a very... odd song. - 4/10

Amazing Day

This one has avery gracious and beautiful melody. I don't like it as much as others seem to do, but it's still great. - 8/10

Colour Spectrum

It's just an interlude. Not that it's bad, but there is literally nothing to say about this. ?/10

Up&Up

Aww... damn you Stargate! The only song that the production ruins for me. Why would you remove the piano? It's supposed to be a epic album closer, but it feels so empty. I would much rather have ten too many instruments than one too little. However, the amazing guitar solos and Hey Jude-ish sing along at the end make it up for me. - 9/10

The album itself is great in my opinion. I don't really mind the Production at all, and I oove the bright, colorful atmosphere it has. 8/10

This review is like my thoughts on the album exactly!