✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

=== The Ultimate Newplaying Thread===MX, GS, AHFOD===

Spider-Man

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viva La Vida (the album) was on everyone's IPods. Everyone listened to Coldplay and Linkin Park.

Linkin Park yes, their first 3 albums were practically middle school. But still.. No one liked Coldplay. I wouldn't admit it at this point either.

But to be quite honest with you. I think Ghost Stories caused a major loss in fans (the basic fans at least). I think those fans thought that Coldplay aren't making rock music anymore.

They have it in them I know it. They are just channeling something different at the moment. I love Ghost Stories so much.

Yeah I know. It's just that the general fans of that time don't really like Ambient music. They don't see how beautiful Ghost Stories truly is.

Lol Ghost Stories isn't ambient. Midnight is, and maybe a couple others but if you want ambient search for Kid A. Or Jon Hopkins and Brian Eno's work. GS is pop. (Just sayin)

But, we don't have any actual "Newplayers" on this forum (or at least that I know of) because Coldplay isn't very relevant right now and they aren't gathering a new generation of fans.

Ive noticed quite a few people who know the band from MX onwards for example, so Im sure we have our share of Newplayers :)

Lol Ghost Stories isn't ambient. Midnight is, and maybe a couple others but if you want ambient search for Kid A. Or Jon Hopkins and Brian Eno's work. GS is pop. (Just sayin)

I´d say GS is ambient-like in the sense that it creates an atmosphere more than focusing on beats or other stuff. Its as ambient as Coldplay have gotten so far hehe But of course it will always be pop in the very wide sense of the word.

• Like 1

Hmm... I don't really notice any Newplayers around to be honest...

I´ve spoken to a few here :) But I also think the word Newplayer refers to people who like the new stuff in general, no matter when they became a fan, but Im not too sure on all these labels LOL

I´d say GS is ambient-like in the sense that it creates an atmosphere more than focusing on beats or other stuff. Its as ambient as Coldplay have gotten so far hehe But of course it will always be pop in the very wide sense of the word.

You are right, it's Coldplay at it's most ambient. The general atmophere, ignoring structure of the songs, instrumentation and such, is cool and definetely ambient-like in that sense. However if you look at the songs themselves most don't really fall into the "ambient" category, that being music that puts more emphasis on tone and atmosphere over actual structure or rhythm (which most GS songs do, focusing more on structure and rhythm). However, again the atmosphere itself is ambient-like. But I don't think it's true ambient.

(BTW I love ambient music, I wish Coldplay makes a true ambient album someday :wacko::wacky:)

because Coldplay isn't very relevant right now and they aren't gathering a new generation of fans.

I don't like those terms we are Coldplayers because we like Coldplay, it doesn't matter if it is their older or newer work. And I have to disagree with you. Coldplay is still relevant. If it wasn't for Mylo Xyloto I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't listen to the Brothers & Sisters EP and all their amazing songs. People is still going crazy because they didn't buy a ticket, which led the band and the venues to add more dates (Wembley 4 dates, Mexico 3 dates)

I´ve spoken to a few here :) But I also think the word Newplayer refers to people who like the new stuff in general, no matter when they became a fan, but Im not too sure on all these labels LOL

Yeah, usually when someone mentions "newplayer" around here it doesn't necessarily mean that they just became a Coldplay fan (although that could be the case, and most of the time it is because they're joining possibly because they like the new content so much wheras they didn't care so much for their old content, although there are a few around here who've joined recently because they liked the old Coldplay and came here to discuss that), more specifically it means that they love the new stuff and prefer it over the old stuff. I've met maybe a couple people who are that way and don't get the very obvious dislike for Coldplay's new direction and album, but I've personally never met anyone who's actually stated that they actually don't really approve of Coldplay's old work that much. (I personally get why there's no one around here like that, Coldplay's old work you find masterpiece after masterpiece honestly :P) (However I think most "Newplayers" actually don't dislike their older work, they just like the new stuff better; wheras Oldplayers not only like the old stuff over the new stuff, but actually criticize the new stuff frequently). Which would mean that Oldplayers are way on one end of the scale, while the "Newplayers" are only biased a little opposite. Anyway's that's how I see this Oldplay-Newplay thing.

• Like 1

But I don't think it's true ambient.

(BTW I love ambient music, I wish Coldplay makes a true ambient album someday :wacko::wacky:)

No its not true ambient but neither would I expect it to ever be with Coldplay. One never knows of course, but I hope they always will create songs which somehow adhere to the classical pop formula, while experimenting with different variations. The Beatles come to mind as having been great at this combo!

(However I think most "Newplayers" actually don't dislike their older work, they just like the new stuff better; wheras Oldplayers not only like the old stuff over the new stuff, but actually criticize the new stuff frequently). Which would mean that Oldplayers are way on one end of the scale, while the "Newplayers" are only biased a little opposite. Anyway's that's how I see this Oldplay-Newplay thing.

Yes thats my impression as well. I think its because Newplayers tend to like the whole package, but to be fair to Oldplayers its also easier to be "tolerant" and positive about the old stuff, when the new stuff is going in a direction you like hehe Its the other way around for people who only like the first 2-3 albums.

I mean I can imagine if Coldplay went ahead now and did 3 albums all in the same vein as Parachutes, I would not only fall asleep but I would also be pretty bummed out *lol* So yeah I do get both perspectives make sense.

But maybe its also a matter of genres. Newplayers tend to embrace a wider range of genre, while Oldplayers I noticed are mostly only into alt/rock.

Personally I hope they always make mixed albums as they have done so far, so we both get something like Everglow but also something like Hymn. This kinda suits me fine :)

I don't like those terms we are Coldplayers because we like Coldplay, it doesn't matter if it is their older or newer work. And I have to disagree with you. Coldplay is still relevant. If it wasn't for Mylo Xyloto I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't listen to the Brothers & Sisters EP and all their amazing songs. People is still going crazy because they didn't buy a ticket, which led the band and the venues to add more dates (Wembley 4 dates, Mexico 3 dates)

Of course Coldplay still have a great amount of loyal fans. But, Coldplay just aren't as popular as they used to be. AOAL isn't doing as well on the charts as hits like Viva and Paradise (Though Hymn will for sure) and they are being heavily criticized by the general public for headlining the Half Time Show. This is all thanks to Ghost Stories because now the general public thinks that all they are going to play are "boring" songs.

Yes thats my impression as well. I think its because Newplayers tend to like the whole package, but to be fair to Oldplayers its also easier to be "tolerant" and positive about the old stuff, when the new stuff is going in a direction you like hehe Its the other way around for people who only like the first 2-3 albums.

I mean I can imagine if Coldplay went ahead now and did 3 albums all in the same vein as Parachutes, I would not only fall asleep but I would also be pretty bummed out *lol* So yeah I do get both perspectives make sense.

But maybe its also a matter of genres. Newplayers tend to embrace a wider range of genre, while Oldplayers I noticed are mostly only into alt/rock.

Personally I hope they always make mixed albums as they have done so far, so we both get something like Everglow but also something like Hymn. This kinda suits me fine :)

If Coldplay did 3 straight Parachutes albums they'd be irrelevant lol. One would be fine (however they basically took Parachutes and made it electronic, and gave a "cool" feel to it with GS) so that's be a little iffy but ya 3 would be pretty boring.... I'd like for something new from Coldplay for their 8th album. Check out the "Random Coldplay thoughts..." thread for an example of what I'd love to see from the band.

I personally like Coldplay's older albums better as a whole than the new ones however I'm not only into alt-rock. I love a variety of genres, to pop-rock (and even straight pop if it's done right), Ambient, Experimental music, most of those subgenres, etc. However I just like Coldplay's older sound as a whole better than their newer one, that's all. Some bit of "magic" and "richness" seems to have disappeared... I don't know what...

However I just like Coldplay's older sound as a whole better than their newer one, that's all. Some bit of "magic" and "richness" seems to have disappeared... I don't know what...

To me its all about what I feel like hearing at a certain time. Yesterday for example I needed some X&Y and A Rush and I was like "no way: im not listening to AHFOD!" hehe Today I only wanted to listen to AHFOD and it was great. So it varies with my mood in my case.

I personally find magic in all their albums and almost all tracks. Its what makes them special to me :) Cant say it has ever gotten lost to my ears, so far so good *lol*

• Like 1

Of course Coldplay still have a great amount of loyal fans. But, Coldplay just aren't as popular as they used to be. AOAL isn't doing as well on the charts as hits like Viva and Paradise (Though Hymn will for sure) and they are being heavily criticized by the general public for headlining the Half Time Show. This is all thanks to Ghost Stories because now the general public thinks that all they are going to play are "boring" songs.

It's not just Ghost Stories. They are known for being "boring" for their first albums. We know their first albums are great, but the media and some artists (Bono) said their music was sleepy. That's when Politik and GPASUYF were done. But, haters didn't change their mind even when Viva La Vida was released. They're highly criticized and they are either loved or hated there isn't in between. So, they could release the greatest stadium anthem but among haters they'll keep the "music for bedwetters" stereotype.

• Like 2

To me its all about what I feel like hearing at a certain time. Yesterday for example I needed some X&Y and A Rush and I was like "no way: im not listening to AHFOD!" hehe Today I only wanted to listen to AHFOD and it was great. So it varies with my mood in my case.

I personally find magic in all their albums and almost all tracks. Its what makes them special to me :) Cant say it has ever gotten lost to my ears, so far so good *lol*

I feel the same, and it's the only band I've listened to all their discography. I've heard other singers/bands and I like some of their songs but most of the times they lack the passion and soul Coldplay put on their music.

• Like 1

Yeah, but Ghost Stories was the "sleepiest" of all. Also, haters are haters. I'm talking about the general public just being ignorant about their music. Once they hear Coldplay become boring (Ghost Stories), they'll automatically think they're going to do that for the rest of their career.

My impression about GS (unsubstantiated though, I have no way of knowing if this is true...) is that the album went pretty much unnoticed by the "general public" , known mostly only to the fans. The only song that most people knew from that era is ASFOS.

So I agree with @alisbe here, I think the comments from people saying they are "boring" are due to the fact that they only are familiar with the early Coldplay. If you only know something peripherally you´re more likely to base your judgement on the few things you read on the media about it, and we all know how much Coldplay was chastised and talked about for being "bedwetters" hehe.

You know Ill be curious to see what people reaction will be after the Superbowl. I think it might surprise a few of those unfamiliar with Coldplay, especially in the USA :)

• Like 1

Yeah, but Ghost Stories was the "sleepiest" of all.

I´d agree with you on the overall album being slower (Parachutes had yellow, dont panic, Shiver, etc), but as far as sleep factor goes, Parachutes is still a winner for me. Some tracks on that album make my eyelids drop in no time *lol*

Maybe even if both have a somber mood, they are different to my ears. The first seems to convey the general feeling of "Im a loser, I dont have a girlfriend and life sucks but im slightly hopeful at the very end" (Chris in his early years LOL), while GS says "this sucks, I lost something I loved but I´d be damned if I let it get me down, Ill find that light at the end of the tunnel" (more mature Chris). So yeah I dont know...they definitely impact me in different ways even though as you rightly said they are quite similar in tone.