✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

=== The Ultimate Newplaying Thread===MX, GS, AHFOD===

Spider-Man

Yeah, but Ghost Stories was the "sleepiest" of all. Also, haters are haters. I'm talking about the general public just being ignorant about their music. Once they hear Coldplay become boring (Ghost Stories), they'll automatically think they're going to do that for the rest of their career.

That's for younger listeners who are discovering the band. However I think new generations prefer to listen to singles rather than whole albums (unless they're young artists like Justin beiber who has crazy young fans). For example a Mexican singer is planning to release a single each month because people is getting used to listen to the most popular songs on Spotify rather than buying the album with the risk of not liking the rest of the songs.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression about GS (unsubstantiated though, I have no way of knowing if this is true...) is that the album went pretty much unnoticed by the "general public" , known mostly only to the fans. The only song that most people knew from that era is ASFOS.

People still heard Magic on the radio as it was successful to a certain degree. These are their thoughts:

"What? Is this Coldplay? Damn, they got so depressing. I thought they were a Rock band."

Anyways, to sum it up, generally people didn't like the music of the GS Era and ignorantly refuse to listen to any more Coldplay (AHFOD) because they assume it's gonna be just as depressing as Ghost Stories.

I guess large amounts of the general public would have always hated Coldplay playing an event like the Super Bowl. At any stage of their career and regardless of their musical output at that time. They're just this kind of easily 'hate-able' band, perceived as boring, "soft" and not particularily cool. Makes them cool to me. :D

That's why I also think there is some potential to surprise people with a great show and defy a few preconceptions here and there. Can't wait to see what they're cooking up!

^ Yes, but there is a tolerance level. Most people would have been a bit more tolerant with Coldplay if they headlined the Superbowl during the Viva Era (and maybe the MX Era). Now, factors have changed (Ex. Aforementioned ignorance with AHFOD, change in style of pop music, etc). But, they should make a very exciting show. Katy Perry's Halftime show last year was amazing. If that's similar to what CP are going to do, then I'm excited.

Here am I, the only person on this website that wanted AFHOD to be even dancier that what is and that thinks that XMTS is among the best things they've ever done. Also, I can't stand In My Place and Fix You.

Does this make me a "true" Newplayer?

Here am I, the only person on this website that wanted AFHOD to be even dancier that what is and that thinks that XMTS is among the best things they've ever done. Also, I can't stand In My Place and Fix You.

I'm not sure what a newplayer is but maybe yes. And I agree that XMTS is a great song. I don't think is their best songs but I do think it shouldn't be a hidden track.

• Like 1

Yes, this makes you a true Newplayer.

By the way, are those actually your thoughts on songs or no? Just wondering.

You're going to get murdered for saying that in the Oldplaying thread lol.

• Like 3

My impression about GS (unsubstantiated though, I have no way of knowing if this is true...) is that the album went pretty much unnoticed by the "general public" , known mostly only to the fans. The only song that most people knew from that era is ASFOS.

So I agree with @alisbe here, I think the comments from people saying they are "boring" are due to the fact that they only are familiar with the early Coldplay. If you only know something peripherally you´re more likely to base your judgement on the few things you read on the media about it, and we all know how much Coldplay was chastised and talked about for being "bedwetters" hehe.

You know Ill be curious to see what people reaction will be after the Superbowl. I think it might surprise a few of those unfamiliar with Coldplay, especially in the USA :)

Same could be said about U2. People say Bono is egostatisical. But that's because of Zoo TV and Achtung Baby. They don't understand that that was part of the whole theme.

Haha funny post :) Would you have wished more songs like Hymn? Or more experimental like XMTS? Thats whats great about Coldplay. People like different things because they have made so many different songs :)

• Like 2

I guess it does

make you a true Newplayer :P You're the first long-term serious and regular Newplay poster I've seen (after MX era)... Brave soul

Yes, this makes you a true Newplayer.

By the way, are those actually your thoughts on songs or no? Just wondering.

I was kidding about the true newplayer part (this whole "civil war" thing seems pointless to me), but yeah those are my views about the mentioned songs. The first Coldplay album I've heard in its entirety was Viva, so they've always been the colourful and poppy-but-still-somehow-artsy kind of band and not the sad and emotional band most 2000-05 fans fell in love with (I only started listening to their older stuff two years after Viva was released). I hope it makes sense.

Haha funny post :) Would you have wished more songs like Hymn? Or more experimental like XMTS? Thats whats great about Coldplay. People like different things because they have made so many different songs :)

Actually I was expecting to hear more dance Daft Punk-y stuff like AOAL. I'd really love to hear more experimental stuff but also it would be interesting to see them taking an even crazier twist on this "pop" sound they developed in Hymn (I used Plastic Beach by Gorillaz as an example in another thread)

Ok my little video contribution to the Newplayer thread...I absolutely love this video and I cant for the life of me understand why Coldplay did not use it instead of walking around the aussie streets (nothing against the aussies streets haha but still I prefer the stars :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXe_Yw24_o

I like this video but I prefer the one with the fans. The concept in this version is good, but the band looks very serious, I can't see any expression on their faces. While in the official one they look so happy and we can see they're enjoying it.

• Like 1

I like this video but I prefer the one with the fans. The concept in this version is good, but the band looks very serious, I can't see any expression on their faces. While in the official one they look so happy and we can see they're enjoying it.

Agreed on the facial expressions :) Though I honestly dont even notice them in the video...Im too taken by the splashing colours and Chris flying up in the stars!

Its the Superman genes in me you see :wings::happy2:....I love the cosmos haha :)

Agreed on the facial expressions :) Though I honestly dont even notice them in the video...Im too taken by the splashing colours and Chris flying up in the stars!

Its the Superman genes in me you see :wings::happy2:....I love the cosmos haha :)

Perhaps I'm paying too much attention to the facial expressions.

Or I'm fangirling now... It’s time to leave this thread for a moment :escaping2::curtain:

Ok my little video contribution to the Newplayer thread...I absolutely love this video and I cant for the life of me understand why Coldplay did not use it instead of walking around the aussie streets (nothing against the aussies streets haha but still I prefer the stars :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXe_Yw24_o

I love ASFOS. It's so underrated I can't help but enjoy dancing every time I listen to it. It sounds so amazing to my ears anyway.... it may be EDM but that don't mean it's bad. Coldplay totally did it right IMO... what saddens me is that they used the radio edit version of the song :( Shorter vid... but I love it much more over the video they released.

• Like 3

I love ASFOS. It's so underrated I can't help but enjoy dancing every time I listen to it. It sounds so amazing to my ears anyway.... it may be EDM but that don't mean it's bad. Coldplay totally did it right IMO... what saddens me is that they used the radio edit version of the song :( Shorter vid... but I love it much more over the video they released.

Love ASFOS too, but live always sounds even better!!!! IMO

btw, ''IMO'' means: ''In My Opinion'' right?:huh::laugh4: