✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

=== The Ultimate Newplaying Thread===MX, GS, AHFOD===

Spider-Man

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I like the idea of this thread, I think it's just a little pointless since most threads (especially the "LP7- A Head Full of Dreams"thread) are threads where we discuss the newer stuff anyway :) Still, it's nice to have a thread like this :D

Ahh, yes. I really loved the way they used recorded videos of each member playing different instruments instead of just using the backing track. For a second I thought The piano-playing Chris was real! :D

Me too! They surprised me with this performance. It was gorgeous and much better than the apes!

btw, I know that the Oldplaying forum has Viva, but I consider Viva the start of Newplay and wish it was here hehe :)

I consider Viva the "bridge" between Oldplay and Newplay. Makes sense, because with the AHFOD addition it's in the middle of their discography.

I consider Viva the "bridge" between Oldplay and Newplay. Makes sense, because with the AHFOD addition it's in the middle of their discography.

Me too. Viva was the revolution. I think a lot of Oldplayers kinda forget to wonder why Coldplay actually made the change they did. They really were not going anywhere after X&Y. They were repeating their "old tricks" as per their own admission and they had hit a wall. I honestly think without Brian Eno and Viva Coldplay would not still be making music now...

• Like 1

Me too. Viva was the revolution. I think a lot of Oldplayers kinda forget to wonder why Coldplay actually made the change they did. They really were not going anywhere after X&Y. They were repeating their "old tricks" as per their own admission and they had hit a wall. I honestly think without Brian Eno and Viva Coldplay would not still be making music now...

Exactly. They needed to make a revolutionary album after X&Y, they were changing but not very much. The first three albums sounded different but mostly the same in a way. As you said they were using the same tricks overall. They changed a ton with Viva and that's why they're still at where they're at. I feel like they need another revolutionary change for the upcoming 8th LP now. They've been into somewhat of a pop style in the last 3 albums. I feel like this LP8 needs to be something revolutionary like Viva. Not the same style as Viva, but seeing it as Coldplay taking a whole new direction (and that's bound to happen since LP7 is the last album in this one era I guess... LP8 with most likely start fresh and new. Hopefully they hire Eno and Hopkins (almost said Stargate, no thank you) --I couldn't wait to see what they'd come up with. A man can dream... :)

• Like 1

I feel like this LP8 needs to be something revolutionary like Viva. Not the same style as Viva, but seeing it as Coldplay taking a whole new direction (and that's bound to happen since LP7 is the last album in this one era I guess... LP8 with most likely start fresh and new. Hopefully they hire Eno and Hopkins (almost said Stargate, no thank you) --I couldn't wait to see what they'd come up with. A man can dream... :)

You know I was posting about this on another thread today, how really AHFOD is not as poppy as we perhaps tend to hear or people tend to think. MX, GS and AHFOD are all pretty much rooted in alternative music overall. The true 100% pop elements are in the minority if you take the works in their entirety. Now they pretty much have incorporated all genres (minus polka, jazz and country LOL), so Im not sure they need another revolution. I think their palette is complete in that they have garnered the tools they need, whereas in the first 3 albums they were limiting themselves to only a few tools.

I agree though that LP7 is the end of an era as they also have said many times and Im also sure LP8 will start something new, but I dont think anyone can say in which direction, probably not even the band! hehe But I think they are equipped now to go pretty much where they want to. So yeah exciting times ahead but what I most look forward to is the live shows and future singles now! hehe LP7 is still fresh and exciting :)

• Like 2

Sorry, but saying that "for all those who love the newer coldplay stuff *as much as* the older stuff" makes this more of a Neutralplaying Thread. So, to match up with the Oldplaying one, here we have to criticize the old stuff AND the oldplayers as much as possible.

Well, here we like to listen to music that we find beautiful, creative, and inspiring. Something new and old, both can do. Unlike some of your counterparts, I'm not going to critize the newer albums because they are different. Instead, I will have an open mind and embrace whatever comes my way. That is what life is all about. But hey, it's your choice.

Actually, if you read the fine print a little bit more carefully, you would have noticed that it said we enjoy the old stuff as much as the new stuff. So in theory if we enjoy something, how could we critize it? I'd try to answer that question but I think the Oldplayers thread can answer that one better than I can.

• Like 1

Exactly. They needed to make a revolutionary album after X&Y, they were changing but not very much. The first three albums sounded different but mostly the same in a way. As you said they were using the same tricks overall. They changed a ton with Viva and that's why they're still at where they're at. I feel like they need another revolutionary change for the upcoming 8th LP now. They've been into somewhat of a pop style in the last 3 albums. I feel like this LP8 needs to be something revolutionary like Viva. Not the same style as Viva, but seeing it as Coldplay taking a whole new direction (and that's bound to happen since LP7 is the last album in this one era I guess... LP8 with most likely start fresh and new. Hopefully they hire Eno and Hopkins (almost said Stargate, no thank you) --I couldn't wait to see what they'd come up with. A man can dream... :)

Agreed. Although I love their newer albums with all my heart, I really think they have to change their direction in the next album. Ambient, Art Rock, whatever it is, they need to change some things up a bit.

• Like 1

Well, here we like to listen to music that we find beautiful, creative, and inspiring. Something new and old, both can do. Unlike some of your counterparts, I'm not going to critize the newer albums because they are different. Instead, I will have an open mind and embrace whatever comes my way. That is what life is all about. But hey, it's your choice.

Actually, if you read the fine print a little bit more carefully, you would have noticed that it said we enjoy the old stuff as much as the new stuff. So in theory if we enjoy something, how could we critize it? I'd try to answer that question but I think the Oldplayers thread can answer that one better than I can.

Those were the words of a Neutralplayer... But, we don't have any actual "Newplayers" on this forum (or at least that I know of) because Coldplay isn't very relevant right now and they aren't gathering a new generation of fans.

Those were the words of a Neutralplayer... But, we don't have any actual "Newplayers" on this forum (or at least that I know of) because Coldplay isn't very relevant right now and they aren't gathering a new generation of fans.

Really? How irrelevant are they? I heard they're playing the Superbowl? That's a big deal don't you think? If someone wasn't relevant, I don't think their chances of playing the Superbowl would be high. What do you think?

Really? How irrelevant are they? I heard they're playing the Superbowl? That's a big deal don't you think? If someone wasn't relevant, I don't think their chances of playing the Superbowl would be high. What do you think?

What I meant was, compared to the Viva Era. Mainstream fans don't generally listen to Coldplay anymore, like back in the Viva days. Also, haven't you seen the negative reactions from the general public about Coldplay headlining the Superbowl.

What I meant was, compared to the Viva Era. Mainstream fans don't generally listen to Coldplay anymore, like back in the Viva days. Also, haven't you seen the negative reactions from the general public about Coldplay headlining the Superbowl.

Always mean what you say. Quite a few people will always dislike Coldplay. They could release the next Achtung Baby and people will still call it terrible and uninspiring. I'd say if they were irrelevant, their marketing team would have a hard time finding gigs. However, quite the opposite is true.

Always mean what you say. Quite a few people will always dislike Coldplay. They could release the next Achtung Baby and people will still call it terrible and uninspiring. I'd say if they were irrelevant, their marketing team would have a hard time finding gigs. However, quite the opposite is true.

COMPARED TO THE VIVA ERA. End of discussion.

They will probably become as popular as back in the Viva Era again once HFTW is released and they perform at the Superbowl

COMPARED TO THE VIVA ERA. End of discussion.

OMG I LOVE THE VIVA ERA

Compared to Viva because the music industry has changed a lot since then. Technology has to do a lot with that.

End of discussion? If I start signing Warning Sign, will you come back? I miss you so..

Compare how popular Coldplay was in the Viva Era to now, think about it.

I thought about it... And... What's with you and the Viva era?

I was in middle school when it came out. I was the only openly admitted Coldplay fan at the time. Not many people were into them then compared to now.