✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[10-01-2016] Interview with VirginRadio (France)

stephen

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ? I have to check your tweets then. I very much would like to know what he said about embracing electronic music among other things

It's on Coldplaying's twitter :) The audio is also coming up in a bit on Multimedia! And again, I will post a transcript.

• Like 1

We've talked with some guys from Virgin Radio, they told us that this interview was recorded before the Salle Wagram Show, Chris had to do this interview with Jonny, but he had to cancel because of a backache and preferred to rest in order to be ready for the show and not to cancel it...

• Like 3

We've talked with some guys from Virgin Radio, they told us that this interview was recorded before the Salle Wagram Show, Chris had to do this interview with Jonny, but he had to cancel because of a backache and preferred to rest in order to be ready for the show and not to cancel it...

Ooooh I knew it was before the show (the band arrived early in the morning that day, with performances starting in the afternoon so...), but I was wondering why Chris wasn't there! Thanks!

• Like 1

That explains it. :)

• Administrators

Stephen submitted a new resource:

Interview on Virgin Radio [FLAC AUDIO] - [plain]2016-01-10 Interview on Virgin Radio [FLAC AUDIO][/plain]

COLDPLAY

Jonny Buckland Interview with Virgin Radio

2016/01/10

Length: 13:21

Quality: SBD

Size: 105 MB compressed (FLAC)

Complete Show: Yes

Conversion: Stephen [email protected]

History:

-> Virgin Radio Tunein Stream

-> Adobe Audition CC 2015

-> FLAC

-> MD5

Read more about this resource...

• Like 2

Transcript/translation of the interview:

Host: What did the band do on Dec 4th, when the album was released? In which state of mind were you?

Jonny: You feel a pressure when you're finishing it, definitely. That happened probably about a month before. Then we feel a big pressure. And then they say 'right you can't change anything anymore', and then the release day comes around and I kinda forgot! [laughs] But no one had heard it yet. For me, the moment when I can't change it anymore is the point when I sort of let it go. It's just a strange time when you've finished, but no one's hear what you've done!

Host: On this album we find a lot of collaborations, with Beyoncé, Noel Gallagher or Tove Lo, so why them? How did it happen? Who thought of inviting them?

J: We collaborated with people, sort of as a..well, we'd have a song, and then we'd think 'well maybe this would be good wit this person.'..We just wanted to be open to any ideas, you know, we were just so excited to be in the studio, after having finished Ghost Stories, which you know was kind of a quiet, intimate album, made for listening on headphones. We wanted this next album to be really colourful, and kind of embracing everything we love, which meant also getting the people we love on the record, like Beyoncé, Noel and Tove.. It kind of went as a song by song basis, but also we had the idea that we wanted to include our heroes.

Host: There were definitely some great moments in the studio with all these people working with you, is there a moment that struck you in particular, maybe a funny one?

J: I don't know about funny...but it was great, it was wonderful having Noel, he's very funny, and in the studio he sat for about 2 hours, telling us stories about Morrisey and others...he kept us very amused.

Host: So how about French music, the French touch as we say, what do you think?

J: Yah we love those bands. And for Coldplay we were listening to a lot of their records at the beginning. And then you know, Daft Punk, Justice, there's a lot of great records!

Host: This album is really different, more colourful, dynamic, joyful. Did you create something whilst re-designing the past?

J: Yeah! That's a lovely way of putting it. For us, we had to go through Ghost Stories, we had to make that album to get to this point, whatever was going on in our lives, we needed more reflective, we need that album as kind of a catharsis, but it also meant we didnt want to tour it, we made a quiet album that we couldn't tour, so we decided to go straight back into the studio. And because we worked that stuff out of our system, we wanted to make the album the most upbeat album we've ever made, you made, and the most colourful.

Host: Is it mandatory to take risks, to try new things everytime you work on a new album, when you're Coldplay?

J: Yeah, then you get back together and pull everything, and not everything is liked by anyybody! Often not at all! But it still gives you that freedom to try ideas...cause a lot of time in the studio you're doing stuff on your own, and then if you got 3 other gus kind of tapping the table and wait for you to finish..it's difficult you know..so yeah it gave us a lot of creative freedom.

Host: We can feel the album is quite different even in terms of production. How can a band like Coldplay touch on everything? How are songs made up?

J: Songs come about in different ways, really. Some, Chris brings in pretty much fully realised songs, with the chords, and melody and the lyrics..sometimes it's done like that and it's up to me, Guy and Will to back it up. And other songs like AOAL or a song like Magic, it comes from jams, when we play for a long time, and then Chris sings over it..so yeah it happens in different ways.

Host: The sound is close to disco/electronic music on this album..

J: Yeah I think it's probably the closest record to this that we've done. I think with this we felt more free to embrace disco and electronic music, we felt more free and we enjoyed process of recording more..not saying I didn't enjoy Mylo Xyloto, you know, I did, and I loved touring that record as well, but this has been certainly my favourite to record.

Host: People talk a lot of the rich musical heritage of England, is it something that it is still there with Coldplay?

J: Yeah, definitely. You can't leave those behind, you can't leave those things who you grew up with. They stay with you forever you know, the songs you were listening to when you were 14-15, you still find a way to come back to those, probably because that's when you're more easily influenced. I used to listen to the Stones, Oasis, the Beatles, and the Stone Roses, and Chris would probably say to you A-ha, lots of great, wonderful people, and I'm glad they stick with you.

Host: We wanted to know more about the concert at Salle Wagram in Paris, this early December. How was it put together? Because it was very, very fast..

J: Obviously we knew we were coming to Paris because we were doing a tv show called Le Grand Journal, and Chris' uncle, who lives in Paris, said "you know you have to do a gig here!" [i might be dreaming but I think I hear the word 'cake', can't quite decipher it all though] and so we said "alright, let's find a place!"

Host: It was an exceptional moment for the few lucky people there. But the big question is: when will we see Coldplay again in France? We know there's Nice but will you come to Paris this year?

J: We would have loved to come next summer, but unfortunately there's a small football tournament happening so it's tricky to find a place to play! [laughs]

Host: Do you have a particular, striking memory from a concert to tell us?

J: We love playing anywhere, to tell you the truth. We love it obviously, a tiny two people concert or 50,000 people at the Stade de France, we'd do all of it and we love all of it. I think that especially before we start a tour, it's better to do small venues first, better to do shorter sets so we can remember the songs!

Host: We wanted to know about where and how you recorded the album?

J: We did a little bit in our studios, and we a bit in Air Studios in London, which is owned by George Martin, and we did about half of it in LA in Henson Studios which used to be Charlie Chaplin's studio from you know 100 years ago. Cause Chris lives in LA now, and Guy, Will and I live in England, and we sort of split up recording time between LA and London, cause we all got families obviously. What it meant was that we'd get together for 2 weeks in LA or London, record quite intensively, and then take a break from each other for 2 or 3 weeks, so we'd go and work on our own and do stuff, and actually it workd really well, because whenever we were together, we would work hard. You know, Brian Eno told us 8 or 9 years ago 'you work too much, you're together too much, you need to take more breaks', and finally we've learnt to do that, we've been forced to do that. You know, ff you do it everyday and never taking a break you often can't see the wood from the trees.

The host ends by saying that at Virgin Radio they really love the new album and that it was an honour to have this interview :D

Sorry there are definitely mistakes here and there and I couldn't decipher 100% of the interview (i HATE that dubbing thing ugh)

• Like 8

Really great job Coeurli !

For this question, I can help you :

Host: So how about French music, the French touch as we say, what do you think?

J: Yah we love those bands. And for Coldplay we were listening to a lot of their records at the beginning. And then you know, Daft Punk, Justice, there's a lot of great records!

Jonny's talking about the band Air, so I think that what's missing is this :

J: Yah we love those bands. We have... Air was a massive influence for us, we were listening to a lot of their records at the beginning of Coldplay. And then you know, Daft Punk, Justice, there's a lot of great records!

• Like 2