✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend - video

gai

I really hope it's just the boat's name and not an obscure Christian reference....

Religion is part of culture, every culture really if you look around the world. Yes even in our secular west hehe Christianity is an integral part of our history and still reflects in the way we live (whether you are a believer or not is irrelevant, I refer here to Christian tenants we in the west by now take for granted like moral values of not killing or stealing or "love thy neighbor"/solidarity for the poor and in need which to a great extent is the foundation of our welfare systems! )

I don't think the boat reference was on purpose but you're likely to find references

like that in many places.

Am I mistaken btw or does Chris have a tattoo where it says "God is love"? I may have read wrong

• Like 2

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion is part of culture, every culture really if you look around the world. Yes even in our secular west hehe Christianity is an integral part of our history and still reflects in the way we live (whether you are a believer or not is irrelevant, I refer here to Christian tenants we in the west by now take for granted like moral values of not killing or stealing or "love thy neighbor"/solidarity for the poor and in need which to a great extend is the foundation of our welfare systems! )

I don't think the boat reference was on purpose but you're likely to find references

like that in many places.

Am I mistaken btw or does Chris have a tattoo where it says "God is love"? I may have read wrong

Yes he has that tatoo and obviously that's his message, so I think many religious symbols through lyrics and videos are not just coincidence.

• Like 1

Yes he has that tatoo and obviously that's his message, so I think many religious symbols through lyrics and videos are not just coincidence.

Ah I read correctly then. I noticed during one of the recent videos.

I would not say Coldplay have many religious symbols though but I'd say love and spirituality is to be found in a lot of their songs. Though both birds and hymn contain explicit religious references, still not sure they are on purpose though.

Btw I think Chris is a believer but probably not tied to any specific religion or just believing in God in general. After all God can be defined in so many ways! Just a guess :)

Out of curiosity I found this quote by Chris, from Rolling Stone interview in 2005, which is such a great quote to me! I feel the same way he does about it :)

I definitely believe in God. How can you look at anything and not be overwhelmed by the miraculousness of it?

Also this is an interesting quote:

I went through a weird patch, starting when I was about sixteen to twenty-two, of getting God, religion, superstition, judgement all confused

I can´t but agree here too! It´s so easy to confuse all those things. Up til I was 20 or so I used to honestly hate all religion because I was seeing all the bad things they had done in the world. Then later I came to understand that humans will be humans: they can either use something for good or bad, no matter what it is! It was not God´s or the "good books" fault. And yes a lot of "religious traditions" don't come at all from the canon, but simply from superstition/discrimination/judgement. So yeah its funny I seem to have been on a similar journey as Chris :) (nothing new here...they are my homies for a reason haha)

• Like 3

Ah I read correctly then. I noticed during one of the recent videos.

I would not say Coldplay have many religious symbols though but I'd say love and spirituality is to be found in a lot of their songs. Though both birds and hymn contain explicit religious references, still not sure they are on purpose though.

Btw I think Chris is a believer but probably not tied to any specific religion or just believing in God in general. After all God can be defined in so many ways! Just a guess :)

When I mentioned religious symbols I thought about God and biblical references. It's just that I'm always in rush while writing here..

They really mention God a lot through their songs and also use some biblical references. At least I noticed that many years ago and that still happens.

• Like 1

When I mentioned religious symbols I thought about God and biblical references. It's just that I'm always in rush while writing here..

They really mention God a lot through their songs and also use some biblical references. At least I noticed that many years ago and that still happens.

You know I never took particular notice, but I believe you! :) Though Im not sure its on purpose as it would be in say a Christian band. Biblical references we actually all use everyday without even noticing haha Its so embedded in our culture. Even what is probably the most common and used exclamation of all: "Jesus Christ!" hehe But I think that they make it a point to send a message about love and consequently you can say God as love in their songs.

• Like 1

Yes I agree. Just it`s so obvious sometimes. When he uses "Amen" or "Daniel in a lion`s den", "God put a smile on my face", "And I always look up to the sky, pray before the dawn", "Into smoke I`m turned and RISE" (literally from the Bible, about resurrection), "Saying Lord not lead me not into temptaion" (from Yes, prayer Our Father), then My song is Love which is a Christian song borrowed by Coldplay (The Oracle confirmed), also the other lyrics which I don`t remeber now, then Chris`s tatoo and Birds video, also this interview about fasting:

I notice that because they step out with that religious/spiritual/bibilical/also Christian elements which I haven`t noticed the other musicians using. May be sometimes by case or in a negative way, but usually no one does it like Coldplay. (Or U2 may be)? I didn`t listen their music so much so I don`t know.

• Like 1

Yeah like I said Christianity is embedded in or culture and in our sayings too. So no doubt a person who thinks of God in our culture will inevitably use or be drawn to Christian references. I'm just saying they are not exclusive and that Chris believes in God but not in one denomination (as far as we can tell). He mentioned he is an ALL-heist or something, he believes in all hehe even Zeus lol

And it is curious to find how so many of our sayings come from the bible. Also in Midnight song "bleeding from thorns" or when in general we say "bearing a cross or a cross to bear". It's certainly part of us and I don't think it's a bad thing :)

Yeah like I said Christianity is embedded in or culture and in our sayings too. So no doubt a person who thinks of God in our culture will inevitably use or be drawn to Christian references. I'm just saying they are not exclusive and that Chris believes in God but not in one denomination (as far as we can tell). He mentioned he is an ALL-heist or something, he believes in all hehe even Zeus lol

And it is curious to find how so many of our sayings come from the bible. Also in Midnight song "bleeding from thorns" or when in general we say "bearing a cross or a cross to bear". It's certainly part of us and I don't think it's a bad thing :)

Of course.

P.s. I remembered that they also had their album premiere at CHURCH. I was surprised because never heard of that before unless it was about Christian music.

Even back when I was against all religion hehe I always have loved churches and still do (now even more). They are really beautiful buildings and have also always had great acoustics! hehe I remember Coldplay recorded some of Viva in churches as well.

• Like 1

Even back when I was against all religion hehe I always have loved churches and still do (now even more). They are really beautiful buildings and have also always had great acoustics! hehe I remember Coldplay recorded some of Viva in churches as well.

Really? I didn't know that. Probably because of the acoustic and organ sounds from Viva. Yes,churches are beautiful places.

Coldplay have always had religious/biblical references but earlier they were more lyrical devices (which I'm totally OK with) as in God put a smile upon your face, Jerusalem bells etc.

Now recently with the tattoo, the lyrics of Amazing Day "life has a beautiful, crazy DESIGN...thanks God, you must have heard when I prayed" and the Birds video it is becoming a bit too much for me personally (btw, I don't care about the angels reference in HFTW, which is again mostly a lyrical device). I don't know, I am just very wary of all religions - I believe religions and religious clashes are one of the biggest reasons for major conflicts between humans - and feel a bit uncomfortable that Chris now tries to shove religious messages in your face, instead of subtle references earlier. It's a persony opinion, it just makes me feel uncomfortable.

I definitely believe in God. How can you look at anything and not be overwhelmed by the miraculousness of it?

OMG Chris, science really does not speak as loud as your heart.... :-/

And for the record, don't wanna fight about religion and atheism here. So peace and I hope I haven't offended anyone....

• Like 1

and feel a bit uncomfortable that Chris now tries to shove religious messages in your face, instead of subtle references earlier.

You know what I find weird? Chris has been getting more "open" as time goes on. He used to just subtly refer to his religious views as lyrical devices, however he's been becoming more open about it as time goes on and on, and now with AHFOD it's all over the place, and he's been more "open" and "obvious" than ever before, which includes his obsession with heights. He's becoming open about happiness and raising awareness for problems around the world (Joining Global Citizen as well).

Personally, for me, I support Chris with all of this. Of course it was nice when it was subtle, but if he change's that's his choice, and I'm fine with the fact that he's a religious person. Since I do believe in a higher power as well... and it's absolutely wonderful that he's supporting all these different charities and everything, and is definetely trying to raise people's awareness about the global problems in our world. Even though we might agree that he's taken a step down in terms of songwriting, I think we can all agree it's a wonderful thing that he's doing all supporting charities and everything! Coming to India to shoot this video even was such a nice thing, and those kids had so much fun I bet!

• Like 5

And for the record, don't wanna fight about religion and atheism here. So peace and I hope I haven't offended anyone....

Yes you know what they say about religion, politics and I'll include "Coldplay old vs new era" haha a discussion rarely ends well haha

I can understand you not liking those elements however what I do when a song has lyrics I don't quite relate to (Noel I'm looking at you lol) I try to make them relatable to me by giving it the meaning I want. For example life HAS a beautiful design! For an atheist it's just called evolution lol

And I don't think they are shoving anything in anyone's face (also because Chris is not into any religion as far as I know) but surely everyone can agree that love is a good thing to look up to? So love is God is not a hard thing to relate to I'd think :)

So love is God is not a hard thing to relate to I'd think :)

I thought it was God is Love, not vice versa, which seems pretty religious to me. I'd find it easier to agree with Love is God. But well, in the end this tattoo is a circle, and God used to be Gwyneth :D

Chris is really Christian, I think

• Like 1

I thought it was God is Love, not vice versa, which seems pretty religious to me. I'd find it easier to agree with Love is God. But well, in the end this tattoo is a circle, and God used to be Gwyneth :D

Chris is really Christian, I think

Chris was raised a Christian (as most of us) but he's non denominational as far as I know. He believes in God but as an higher power not as a specific definition in any religion. That's what I gather from his quotes and songs.

God is love hence love is God. For me they are certainly interchangeable :) Love is not the only great thing in life but I surely think it's ultimately the best and I find its in every thing :) omnipresent , omnipotent (even Harry Potter knows that looool) good God adjectives hehe

• Like 1

I don't have anything against love, love is a great thing and it should be the world's topmost princicple. Love does not equal God for me because I don't believe in God.

But look, I'm NOT gonna get into a God debate here cause I know it could get harsh and offensive pretty quickly. That's why I will not write out my personal arguments against the existence of God here. I know some people believe and I respect that and some people don't believe and I'm one of them and I hope this is respected. I know it's Coldplay's own decision how religious they are so I am just saying I personally do not resonate with it, I'm not saying they don't have the right to do so because clearly they do.

And by the way, I am very, very awestruck by nature and the universe and all things living and the beauty of it, too (probably one of the reasons why Speed Of Sound resonates so much with me; even though it has a slight religious subtext as in "some are made and some are sent" etc but I don't mind) - but I marvel at it in a very non-religious way. I can only tell you that seeing these things in a non-religious way does not diminish its beauty at all ! :)

• Like 2

We can read it as we want because it`s circle: [MEDIA=twitter]589564521175523328[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ohchrismartin/status/589564521175523328

But it was made of G for Gwyneth, I guess that Chris found God`s love being endless when his G-love ended, so he turned that G to God`s love and to circle without beginning or end.

He was raised Christian and very active in his church with his parents (he mentioned that through interviews). We don`t know what he is now, but he must be somewhere around his childhood faith with all this stuff we were mentioning above.

Interestong quote from Speed Of Sound "some were made and some were sent", I`ve never noticed it before, thanks I ran away.

• Like 2

Higher force, Alah, Brahma, Zeus, Universe or God... it's so individual, we could call it as we wish, it doesn't really matter... i strongly believe when we die (and if there is a God, and I know there is, at least for me) there is only one question he would ask us: "God is going to ask you only one question: Did you love enough?" (whoever, whatever....) love is the strongest force within us, i believe.

For me it is a purpose of life after all. Everything else comes naturally.... :D hope i haven't offended anyone with this :D

and i love symbolic meaning if it is Mother Maria on that boat :D

for example I LOVE KIDS, I LOOOVE FOOD... Jesus Maria when I cook it's like making love and it always, always taste so damn good :D mmmm now i'm hungry :p

• Like 1

I don't have anything against love, love is a great thing and it should be the world's topmost princicple. Love does not equal God for me because I don't believe in God.

But look, I'm NOT gonna get into a God debate here cause I know it could get harsh and offensive pretty quickly. That's why I will not write out my personal arguments against the existence of God here. I know some people believe and I respect that and some people don't believe and I'm one of them and I hope this is respected. I know it's Coldplay's own decision how religious they are so I am just saying I personally do not resonate with it, I'm not saying they don't have the right to do so because clearly they do.

And by the way, I am very, very awestruck by nature and the universe and all things living and the beauty of it, too (probably one of the reasons why Speed Of Sound resonates so much with me; even though it has a slight religious subtext as in "some are made and some are sent" etc but I don't mind) - but I marvel at it in a very non-religious way. I can only tell you that seeing these things in a non-religious way does not diminish its beauty at all ! :)

I still think it's not correct to call Coldplay religious :) or Chris at least (dunno the others). I think he definitely believes in something but has not defined what that something is :) He said as much in his famous "Zeus" quote hehe

I may recall incorrectly but you said you believe in a higher power? (Apologies if I recall incorrectly !) Well that's just another name for God. One can believe in God without believing any of the canonic religions. Many do.

Interestong quote from Speed Of Sound "some were made and some were sent", I`ve never noticed it before, thanks I ran away.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here hehe but I don't think that quote means "sent by a man in the sky" :) Chris has often talked about how he gets his songs "from the universe". It's I think his ways of expressing what comes intuitively to him from "a power above/ a universal place or consciousness".

Again I believe he speaks in general terms. I've found no reason so far to believe he is a Christian specifically.

I still think it's not correct to call Coldplay religious :) or Chris at least (dunno the others). I think he definitely believes in something but has not defined what that something is :) He said as much in his famous "Zeus" quote hehe

I may recall incorrectly but you said you believe in a higher power? (Apologies if I recall incorrectly !) Well that's just another name for God. One can believe in God without believing any of the canonic religions. Many do.

Chris said that about Zeus as a joke and many years ago,we don' t know if something has changed.

One can believe in God without religion,of course. We don't know what's inside Coldplay or Chris,it may be this or that,may be they'll let us know some day! Post here,anyone who finds out haha :)