✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend - video

gai

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah of course...Queen B hehe :)

Yup, it says "Rani" in Hindi which means "Queen." Also for everyone else's information, the Hindi letter on the boat above the Beyonce projection towards the end of the video says "Mother Mary" and the final rainbow Hindi text says "Coldplay."

• Like 3

Yup, it says "Rani" in Hindi which means "Queen." Also for everyone else's information, the Hindi letter on the boat above the Beyonce projection towards the end of the video says "Mother Mary" and the final rainbow Hindi text says "Coldplay."

Why Mother Mary? What's the connection?

I have no idea lol.

Probably some religious connection to Beyonce, since she's playing a goddess-like figure in the video.

Ok,thanks. But confusing because she is playing some Hindu goddess I guess and not Christian so...what's the point. Who'll know.. Anyway thank you for the translation.

Interesting! Why "Mother Mary" do you think? It´s a christian not an hinduism reference, which seems curious in India. Maybe it was just a random boat but still...quite curious considering there are perhaps only 2% christians in India as far as I know.

• Like 1

I have no idea lol.

Probably some religious connection to Beyonce, since she's playing a goddess-like figure in the video.

Mother Mary has been referred to as "Queen of Heaven" as well, but still quite a weak connection hehe Interesting though. I do like that two religious references merge. I always like it when cultures come together (take that appropriation LOL)

Interesting! Why "Mother Mary" do you think? It´s a christian not an hinduism reference, which seems curious in India. Maybe it was just a random boat but still...quite curious considering there are perhaps only 2% christians in India as far as I know.

Yeah! I would like to ask them. Whatever we wanted the art to be or whatever it should or shouldn't be,it will always include political,cultural and religious symbols and messages. The artist have a need to express that and we can't avoid that,so I accept that art is not just art or music is not just music,it's person's life,beliefs and messages.

Not always,but it can be and we shouldn't run away from that.

Not always,but it can be and we shouldn't run away from that.

Im not. Im certainly staying put LOL I love all the different references! And thanks @amazingsirkg for letting us know about the boat sign and what it means! Incidentally I always wanted to learn sanskrit (which is the old indian language, not sure how much or if it differs from modern hindi) and I still got a "sanskrit for beginners" book somewhere in my library hehe

• Like 1

Yeah, its true that India is predominantly Hindu, but the beautiful thing about the country is that it is a melting pot of so many different cultures. For instance, South India has a sizeable Christian population, and Mumbai (which is where the music video was filmed) has pockets of Muslim and Sikh subcommunities as well. As plus, India was the birth place of Buddhism.

I've lived in India for about 3 years, and I have to say that the people there appreciate and encompass the religious diversity that is present. I think the best example of this is in Life of Pi, where the main character considers himself a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian all at once.

• Like 4

Yeah, its true that India is predominantly Hindu, but the beautiful thing about the country is that it is a melting pot of so many different cultures. For instance, South India has a sizeable Christian population, and Mumbai (which is where the music video was filmed) has pockets of Muslim and Sikh subcommunities as well. As plus, India was the birth place of Buddhism.

I've lived in India for about 3 years, and I have to say that the people there appreciate and encompass the religious diversity that is present. I think the best example of this is in Life of Pi, where the main character considers himself a Hindu, Muslim, and Christian all at once.

Very nice! And yes it was the birthplace of Buddhism indeed :) Still curious to find that on the boat...perhaps it was on purpose to highlight religious diversity coming together? It may be :) Regardless, I like it :D

• Like 1

Very nice! And yes it was the birthplace of Buddhism indeed :) Still curious to find that on the boat...perhaps it was on purpose to highlight religious diversity coming together? It may be :) Regardless, I like it :D

Yes I also thought that. I have just looked the video again because of that and noticed that it's a boat's name in a fact. Right? If it's written on the boat it's usually the name of the boat. So it should be Mother Mary then :bulb2:

Yes I also thought that. I have just looked the video again because of that and noticed that it's a boat's name in a fact. Right? If it's written on the boat it's usually the name of the boat. So it should be Mother Mary then :bulb2:

Yes, traditionally a boat name is often a woman´s name :) This is just a very important famous woman haha :D

Yes, traditionally a boat name is often a woman´s name :) This is just a very important famous woman haha :D

Haha yeah, and here we got it! :) Mother Mary leading and guiding the boat..isn`t it significant? After Beyonce, who plays goddess and queen from India, they conclude the video with Mother Mary like she was the ultimate queen and goddess, right? To me it seemed like a conclusion because I can`t find other explanation why would they mention her when it`s all about India.

• Like 2

The artist have a need to express that and we can't avoid that,so I accept that art is not just art or music is not just music,it's person's life,beliefs and messages.

I agree with this part. Since I started following Coldplay I've learnt a lot about the world and I'm doing so with the video filmed in India. There are many things behind music that can't be separated from it, we're not inside a bubble.

• Like 1

Haha yeah, and here we got it! :) Mother Mary leading and guiding the boat..isn`t it significant? After Beyonce, who plays goddess and queen from India, they conclude the video with Mother Mary like she was the ultimate queen and goddess, right? To me it seemed like a conclusion because I can`t find other explanation why would they mention her when it`s all about India.

It could have been coincidental, that the boat they chose for the video had that name. But I do like that both the Beyoncé figure and Mother Mary can indeed be called Goddesses/Queens :)

It could have been coincidental, that the boat they chose for the video had that name. But I do like that both the Beyoncé figure and Mother Mary can indeed be called Goddesses/Queens :)

Haha may be, but I don`t see Beyonce as goddess or queen, I see Mother Mary as both ;) :angel:

• Like 2

Haha may be, but I don`t see Beyonce as goddess or queen, I see Mother Mary as both ;) :angel:

No not Beyoncé herself haha (although she is jokingly called queen B). I meant Beyoncé figure , the figure she plays in the song, i.e the angel :) also in the video Beyoncé seems to represent a goddess , Hindu or perhaps I don't know a form of nature goddess (she's surrounded by flowers). So that coupled with mother Mary, the video is filled with goddesses/queens hehe

• Like 2

No not Beyoncé herself haha (although she is jokingly called queen B). I meant Beyoncé figure , the figure she plays in the song, i.e the angel :) also in the video Beyoncé seems to represent a goddess , Hindu or perhaps I don't know a form of nature goddess (she's surrounded by flowers). So that coupled with mother Mary, the video is filled with goddesses/queens hehe

Haha OK,now I'll easier get to sleep :crown:

• Like 1