✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend - video

gai

You're not all alone either, I LOVE that stuff!!!

Really? I´d make a thread about it....but I had very little luck with it in a previous forum. Namely because some people are very touchy about religion and science even. I would love to discuss it though :)

And generally everyone gets touchy, I don't think anyone can say they don't hehe I think the hardest part for me at least is when I feel something bothers me or irritates me, the hard part is for me to swallow that toad and just take it up with myself until I feel calm enough to post/reply again. I´ve long come to the conclusion , at least my experience, that when Im pissed or upset its never anyone´s fault than mine. Its just that sometimes what people say might push some buttons in you that question some things you yourself are not so sure of and are afraid to admit even to yourself...so its easier to lash back at others than to look at the foundation of your beliefs/opinions. So ultimately its a useful experience and we learn from others but it often is unpleasant hehe

• Like 2

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the topic about Mother Mary, but not intentionally.. I was watching the video now and suddenly noticed a cross on the boat next to Mary! It`s under the yellow flower,but it`s seen very well, stop on the 3:54 min. Do you see the same or something`s wrong with me??:whatever:

Back to the topic about Mother Mary

As much as I love Our Lady that doesn't necessarily mean I want direct references to her in Coldplay songs/Music videos.

In my old age I've come to interpret more of Chris's songs in a religious connotation that I didn't necessarily interpret when I was a teenager. However, a lot of these religious references are very subtle and personal. There are a number of older songs from A Rush that I've come to associate with the Blessed Mother but these are completely personal to me and I neither expect or want others to interpret these songs in that way.

The way the newer material is so blatant and direct with overloading you with religious meaning comes off as very gaudy and insincere in my opinion.

The way the newer material is so blatant and direct with overloading you with religious meaning comes off as very gaudy and insincere in my opinion.

But how is it in any way blatant and direct? Im not seeing it. The only thing I see is that they chose a colourful hill /construction in California which happened to have one sentence about Jesus written on it and the Hymn video has a boat with a reference to Mother Mary (to me completely by chance...) and also feature a Hindu-like Goddess. There is nothing religious in their new material that I can see, only references to love, hope and universal feelings like those.

• Like 1

As much as I love Our Lady that doesn't necessarily mean I want direct references to her in Coldplay songs/Music videos.

In my old age I've come to interpret more of Chris's songs in a religious connotation that I didn't necessarily interpret when I was a teenager. However, a lot of these religious references are very subtle and personal. There are a number of older songs from A Rush that I've come to associate with the Blessed Mother but these are completely personal to me and I neither expect or want others to interpret these songs in that way.

Why do you consider it being insincere and gaudy? Could you explain a little bit? And did you see the cross on the boat?

Why do you consider it being insincere and gaudy? Could you explain a little bit? And did you see the cross on the boat?

It should not be considered anything because its simply not there :) I´d have never have noticed the cross or the Mother Mary sign unless someone pointed it out to me...thats how "blatant" it was :) We all have our beliefs (or no beliefs) and its perfectly fine to interpret material the way we want to, but I´d say it would be very incorrect to say that Coldplay are promoting a specific religion or religious message. I don't see any ground for this statement.

If anything the new material promotes a lot of books and specific book titles! LOL So a literature bias yes there is ground to say that! haha

• Like 1

But how is it in any way blatant and direct? Im not seeing it. The only thing I see is that they chose a colourful hill /construction in California which happened to have one sentence about Jesus written on it and the Hymn video has a boat with a reference to Mother Mary (to me completely by chance...) and also feature a Hindu-like Goddess. There is nothing religious in their new material that I can see, only references to love, hope and universal feelings like those.

I really don't know what to think and say because of this reasons: If I wasn't Christian or doing spiritual music,I would NEVER choose a church for my album premiere. Being on the top of the world,they can choose ANY place and why did they choose some small,unknown church?

Second,they could choose ANY wonderful artistic place in the world,but they chose Salvation Mountain which is a Christian place above all,Leonard made it to express his love for Jesus and they didn't hide it in the video even. We can clearly see words God is love,Jesus I'm sinner and Bible..

Chris's tatoo about God's love,not love that is universal.

Mother Mary and cross on the boat in the middle of India? Even as a Christian I wouldn't do that because the video is about India.

Don't know why's all that!

I really don't know what to think and say because of this reasons: If I wasn't Christian or doing spiritual music,I would NEVER choose a church for my album premiere. Being on the top of the world,they can choose ANY place and why did they choose some small,unknown church?

Second,they could choose ANY wonderful artistic place in the world,but they chose Salvation Mountain which is a Christian place above all,Leonard made it to express his love for Jesus and they didn't hide it in the video even. We can clearly see words God is love,Jesus I'm sinner and Bible..

Chris's tatoo about God's love,not love that is universal.

Mother Mary and cross on the boat in the middle of India? Even as a Christian I wouldn't do that because the video is about India.

Don't know why's all that!

Non-Christians can like churches too, and they have great acoustics hehe "God is love" is a spiritual message, but I would not classify it as specific religious as God could be any God or however you interpret a "higher power/consciousness".

I think the various religious references when specifics are just because they are part of culture every way you go! My opinion from what I know about Coldplay and have seen in interviews is that they are definitely spiritual people (at least Chris) who believe in God/higher power but not defined or limited to any religion. There are tons of artists who have spiritual messages in their songs, simply because the vast majority of people on this planet do believe in a higher power of some form :) But that doesn't make that artist or band a "religion promoting" band.

There are dedicated religious artists. Off the top of my head Sixpence None The Richer are a Christian band (or were, not so active anymore) who have been very open about their Christian faith both in interviews and in their lyrics.

Non-Christians can like churches too, and they have great acoustics hehe "God is love" is a spiritual message, but I would not classify it as specific religious as God could be any God or however you interpret a "higher power/consciousness".

I think the various religious references when specifics are just because they are part of culture every way you go! My opinion from what I know about Coldplay and have seen in interviews is that they are definitely spiritual people (at least Chris) who believe in God/higher power but not defined or limited to any religion. There are tons of artists who have spiritual messages in their songs, simply because the vast majority of people on this planet do believe in a higher power of some form :) But that doesn't make that artist or band a "religion promoting" band.

There are dedicated religious artists. Off the top of my head Sixpence None The Richer are a Christian band (or were, not so active anymore) who have been very open about their Christian faith both in interviews and in their lyrics.

Yes,it might be. May be I'm just used to black and white around me or in general. We'll see about them,that's why we're here ;)

Doesn't Christianity (atleast in western countries) have a bigger meaning than just a religion? It's part of the culture, you can even see religious references in everyday language. Churches are as much as cultural heritage as they are religious buildings. I think it's bound to be that there will be religious images in the songs.

And frankly, I don't see the problem of him writing religious references into the lyrics. He's supposed to express himself in a song, how's he supposed to do that without mentioning religion, which is a large chunk of a religious person's life? It's not like he's ever said in an interview "Believe in god, people!". He's mever been too obnoxious about it.

• Like 3

Doesn't Christianity (atleast in western countries) have a bigger meaning than just a religion? It's part of the culture, you can even see religious references in everyday language.

Yes thats the point. Even if we are secularised (for the most part) religion is still embedded in our culture, history, art, etc.

• Like 1

Doesn't Christianity (atleast in western countries) have a bigger meaning than just a religion? It's part of the culture, you can even see religious references in everyday language. Churches are as much as cultural heritage as they are religious buildings. I think it's bound to be that there will be religious images in the songs.

And frankly, I don't see the problem of him writing religious references into the lyrics. He's supposed to express himself in a song, how's he supposed to do that without mentioning religion, which is a large chunk of a religious person's life? It's not like he's ever said in an interview "Believe in god, people!". He's mever been too obnoxious about it.

It could be the answer. I was just wondering! :) Now I have some wider view.

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly agree with this, however I do think Chris is more obvious about his religious beliefs than ever before. Before it was little things like "God put a Smile upon your face" and essentially references to God are made but in such a subtle way that a listener who wouldn't believe in God (or any listener for that matter) wouldn't notice it at it's first glance. As they progressed, through Viva, they were a bit more obvious about it, then you get to Mylo and most of it is either subtle or not there at all (as the album is focusing on other things, the story) but for example in the two acoustic songs there are clear references to God. "Oh morning come bursting the clouds amen" and I think a few more times through UATW but I can't remember necessarily at the moment, but in the beginning of U.F.O you can tell it's there. Moving to GS they gravitated towards the mindset now, just with a much darker and cooler feel to it, like they still had the Love button and all, which I'm not sure is neccessarily religious but I think there was more of that type of feel to it throughout, than you have AHFOD with "God is Love" "Oh thanks god" and essentially religion is brought up numerous times throughout the album and in a very noticable way. But I don't think the album is necessarily religious, it's just a part of it and more it's a celebratory happy album that closes at least closes an era for Coldplay, the band is having a lot of fun and they deserve it after a long long time of actually wondering about their future. So that's more of what it's about, not really focusing on religion, but it's more of just something that's just happening.

• Like 2

There is also

"Reign of love

By the church, we're waiting

Reign of love

My knees go praying"

and "Cathedrals in my heart". I`ve translated every Coldplay song to my language as a gift for my sister, so I carefully noticed every detail and word because when you translate them, the songs become so real and get special meaning.

• Like 1

Guest diogo_sg
There is also

"Reign of love

By the church, we're waiting

Reign of love

My knees go praying"

and "Cathedrals in my heart". I`ve translated every Coldplay song to my language as a gift for my sister, so I carefully noticed every detail and word because when you translate them, the songs become so real and get special meaning.

What an amazing gift! Your sister must've loved it! Is she a Coldplay fan like you? :D

What an amazing gift! Your sister must've loved it! Is she a Coldplay fan like you? :D

Oh yes,she was 10-11 and I was 15 years old when we started listening them. Now we are 25 and 29 haha. She was even the bigger fan than me at some periods. But now I'm the biggest one! Our youngest sister was 6-7 years old when she started listening Coldplay also at that time. Now she's almost 22.

That's my Coldplay family history haha thanks for asking and listening :)

Is English your mothertongue or you can also translate songs?

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg
Oh yes,she was 10-11 and I was 15 years old when we started listening them. Now we are 25 and 29 haha. She was even the bigger fan than me at some periods. But now I'm the biggest one! Our youngest sister was 6-7 years old when she started listening Coldplay also at that time. Now she's almost 22.

That's my Coldplay family history haha thanks for asking and listening :)

Is English your mothertongue or you can also translate songs?

That's wonderful! In my family only my dad really likes Coldplay. The rest are just casual listeners :)

Portuguese is my mothertongue. I prefer not to translate lyrics, as they tend to sound a lot better in their original language ;)

That's wonderful! In my family only my dad really likes Coldplay. The rest are just casual listeners :)

Portuguese is my mothertongue. I prefer not to translate lyrics, as they tend to sound a lot better in their original language ;)

Yes of course,but I was brave enough to do it and it was really interesting experience. I saw the lyrics from my point of view because of my language and not only from Coldplay's view. Seemed like I understood more what they were trying to say ;)

P.s. My dad even doesn't know about Coldplay and my mom was forced to know them by being exposed to Chris's voice all around the house 24/7 ;)

• Like 2

Guest diogo_sg
Yes of course,but I was brave enough to do it and it was really interesting experience. I saw the lyrics from my point of view because of my language and not only from Coldplay's view. Seemed like I understood more what they were trying to say ;)

Well, that's one of the good things about translating songs - you really get to understand what the songwriter meant/was feeling. The 'less good' part of it is that the rhymes and the musicality disappear almost completely.

P.s. My dad even doesn't know about Coldplay and my mom was forced to know them by being exposed to Chris's voice all around the house 24/7 ;)

Well, good for her! :P

Well, that's one of the good things about translating songs - you really get to understand what the songwriter meant/was feeling. The 'less good' part of it is that the rhymes and the musicality disappear almost completely.

Well, good for her! :P

Yes haha ;) Great that you have at least one fan in your house,your dad :D I've gone even more far,now my husband is being forced to love them and he's going really good: slowly becoming a true fan :D

OmG,we've gone off topic,sorry people ;)

• Like 2