✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend - video

gai

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very beautiful video. Top comment on YouTube is about how this is wonderful cultural appreciation NOT appropriation. I couldn't agree more. They celebrated a lot of the beauty and traditions of Indian culture, filming real people and being authentic to reality. Unfortunately though, even though the mass majority's opinion is that this is a wonderful celebration honoring culture, some buzzfeed-internet-tumblr people are going to find something to complain about regarding its depiction of India.

• Like 1

Just a thought: at the end of the AOAL music video, you can hear some birds and see some (Indian?) temples in the background. HFTW's music video starts with bird sounds and inside an Indian temple. It seems like this video is meant to follow AOAL's in some way. What do you think?

I was wondering about that too right when the video began and I heard the sound effects just before the track started.

But I think it's just a coincidence.

Very beautiful video. Top comment on YouTube is about how this is wonderful cultural appreciation NOT appropriation. I couldn't agree more.

Glad to hear that some common sense prevails. If I see people wearing the viking hat around the world Im certainly not gonna scream "hey you´re stealing my danish culture!" LOL Thats just so stupid. I´d actually be pleased they celebrate my culture and like it :)

• Like 1

i can understand just a smidge of it. but this thing is being blown out of crazy proportion. have sen a lot of chris martin hate today. hahaa! want to stay out of social media for at least a good day after the super bowl for sure!

Guest diogo_sg

I've come to learn from the band to stay away from all the criticising and negativity, accept that there are different opinions, respect them, but stay away from the negativity and enjoy whatever I enjoy without being mad or whatever about what others may think (because I don't even have the right to do so). This means that all the backlash is mute to me.

I've come to learn from the band to stay away from all the criticising and negativity, accept that there are different opinions, respect them, but stay away from the negativity and enjoy whatever I enjoy without being mad or whatever about what others may think (because I don't even have the right to do so). This means that all the backlash is mute to me.

This is 100% what I do, too. And everybody should do it as well, because most of the times people forget this is music we are talking about. Music. Not some kind of life changing political decisions or religious war matters, only freaking sounds to listen to IF you like them.

• Like 3

that's great! i run into a lot of it, because i use social media to get the latest coldplay news. so i see a lot of it. but i do avoid it when i know the backlash is going to be huge.

Backlash summary:

You're not supposed to show any foreign culture unless we're from that country.

You have to show all the modern clubs and buildings even if it doesn't match the theme of the video.

Also, if you dress up in another country's traditional clothes, you're an insensitive a-hole.

By the way, because you made profit from this video showing India's culture and kids, you abused them for money.

Seriously, what were they supposed to do? People are so annoying sometimes.

• Like 5

I guess the only way to please people is have a music video like In My Place....but even then, there were two people sitting in the background of that one who probably never got paid for their efforts!

/s

• Like 2

I guess the only way to please people is have a music video like In My Place....but even then, there were two people sitting in the background of that one who probably never got paid for their efforts!

/s

Haha the only way you won't see any backlash is if you literally stand in a white room ;)

• Like 1

Backlash summary:

You're not supposed to show any foreign culture unless we're from that country.

You have to show all the modern clubs and buildings even if it doesn't match the theme of the video.

Also, if you dress up in another country's traditional clothes, you're an insensitive a-hole.

By the way, because you made profit from this video showing India's culture and kids, you abused them for money.

This is the pc crowd having gone completely bonkers....its not only about cultural stuff, its everywhere. Its like a pest. I just ignore it and hope people don't fall for that...