✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend - video

gai

I may recall incorrectly but you said you believe in a higher power?

No worries, but I didn't say that. I don't believe in a higher power. In my last post I was just trying to express that I can appreciate and be in awe at the beauty and mysteries of nature without being religious. Because Chris used this an argument for belief in God, that's what I was trying to counter :)

And I wouldn't give too much on Chris's words from 2005 as to the current Chris....in 2005 he also condemned all shareholders as evil, now he is a shareholder himself so...

• Like 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to rain on anyone's parade here hehe but I don't think that quote means "sent by a man in the sky" :) Chris has often talked about how he gets his songs "from the universe". It's I think his ways of expressing what comes intuitively to him from "a power above/ a universal place or consciousness".

Again I believe he speaks in general terms. I've found no reason so far to believe he is a Christian specifically.

Well I think this Speed Of Sound quote is at least a subtle sign of spirituality and belief of Chris in a higher power where things come from.

I know Chris used to be confused with religion and his beliefs. Cemeteries Of London really says it all : "...to find God in their own way......I saw God come in my garden, but I don't know what he said, for my heart it was not open, not open...."

• Like 1

No worries, but I didn't say that. I don't believe in a higher power. In my last post I was just trying to express that I can appreciate and be in awe at the beauty and mysteries of nature without being religious. Because Chris used this an argument for belief in God, that's what I was trying to counter :)

And I wouldn't give too much on Chris's words from 2005 as to the current Chris....in 2005 he also condemned all shareholders as evil, now he is a shareholder himself so...

I know you mentioned a higher power but I don't remember the full sentence. Now it bugs me lol I was referring to an older post of yours, not sure if it was even another thread.

A shareholder in Tidal you mean? Well there is a difference between a shareholder of a small company and the corporate sharks a la Goldman and Sachs he was probably referring to lol just guessing. I've not read his quote about it

Well I think this Speed Of Sound quote is at least a subtle sign of spirituality and belief of Chris in a higher power where things come from.

I know Chris used to be confused with religion and his beliefs. Cemeteries Of London really says it all : "...to find God in their own way......I saw God come in my garden, but I don't know what he said, for my heart it was not open, not open...."

Some people might get miffed about spirituality and religion being put as the same hehe ( a bit like confusing Canadians with Americans lol). Believing in a higher power or a life that has meaning does not mean you automatically subscribe to the religious package of any denomination :)

Besides Chris tells you explicitly what he believes in and encourages people to believe in, in "up and up": love :) hehe

And you know why I think religion/spirituality can never really be discussed in a constructive manner with an atheist? Because in my experience it's a feeling , a feeling about something, it's not originating in the mind. Like love in a way :) and I speak as both a science-freak and physics aficionado/ex student and as a spiritual person hehe

• Like 1

He was actually referring to the shareholders of EMI....

I am not sure which post you are referring to but I can assure you that in my entire life I never believed in a higher power, so maybe that was some kind of a misunderstanding ? :)

I think I found the source of this! (Im like that...when something bugs me I need to straighten it out LOL) It was a post by another member which was close to one of your posts and it was mentioned the "I believe in n higher power by the way", so now I can be at peace again haha I apologise for the misunderstanding :)

Some people might get miffed about spirituality and religion being put as the same hehe ( a bit like confusing Canadians with Americans lol). Believing in a higher power or a life that has meaning does not mean you automatically subscribe to the religious package of any denomination :)

I know it's not exactly the same, but I would say the concepts are somewhat similar. And I know that these discussions are not constructive, hence I steer well clear of them :D

• Like 1

I think I found the source of this! (Im like that...when something bugs me I need to straighten it out LOL) It was a post by another member which was close to one of your posts and it was mentioned the "I believe in n higher power by the way", so now I can be at peace again haha I apologise for the misunderstanding :)

Ah, i see ! Haha no problem :)

He was actually referring to the shareholders of EMI....

Yes EMI being owned now by a multi corporation I can understand why he would say that...I have a business myself and if I had shareholders it would be of a different kind that those in multinationals hehe So I kinda see what he means here: I think he was condemning the shareholders who put profit above anything else (possibly creative output of the label)

• Like 1

I know it's not exactly the same, but I would say the concepts are somewhat similar. And I know that these discussions are not constructive, hence I steer well clear of them :D

They are as similar as canadians and americans. They both share the same border....but thats where the similarity ends *LOOOL*

And yes Im not starting a discussion, also because I tend to give right to both one side and the other anyway! haha I believe science is absolutely correct in both its method and just all the wonderful things they discover, but I also in my experience have found spirituality to be just as funded, but they are truly on completely different premises. I do hope and believe they will get closer together in the future though...we have seen some signs of this in quantum physics/superstring theory, but I´ll stop here. My geekiness is shining through LOL

• Like 2

some signs of this in quantum physics/superstring theory

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by that ? Feel free to PM me if you don't wanna clutter up the HFTW Video thread any further (LOL, this has gone so off-topic since the mentioning of Mother Mary :P)

• Like 1

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by that ? Feel free to PM me if you don't wanna clutter up the HFTW Video thread any further (LOL, this has gone so off-topic since the mentioning of Mother Mary :P)

Some of us are experts in off topic....I even made a thread about it which we use way too rarely LOL

• Like 1

Haahaa yeah whole morning I've been thinking about what Holy Mary caused here :D But we stayed so nice and polite that we should be proud ;)

• Like 1

Haahaa yeah whole morning I've been thinking about what Holy Mary caused here :D But we stayed so nice and polite that we should be proud ;)

Nice and polite should be the norm , but I totally agree with your conclusion :) Religion is such a personal subject, no wonder people can be touchy. The funny thing is that I find some atheists to be just as touchy haha Apparently atheism has its own church and movement now too...ahh the irony *LOL*

• Like 2

Nice and polite should be the norm , but I totally agree with your conclusion :) Religion is such a personal subject, no wonder people can be touchy. The funny thing is that I find some atheists to be just as touchy haha Apparently atheism has its own church and movement now too...ahh the irony *LOL*

Haha yeah,isn't it like religion then..if they have church?

you see what happens when Holy Mary get involved :D :D :D and quantum physics/superstring theory?! you are my idols..since i'm into quantum physics/superstring..... soooo interesting... and about Hymn video...well I like it. And honestly i think it's very good it arise such a buzz about Indian culture, african american etc etc for my it only shows how people are ready to change roles from victims to rapist (maybe too strong terminology) they accuse someone for misinterpretation of ones culture and than say something like : african american is not good enough to play role of one indian! Really?! and why is that? who is less human here?! sorry I'm a little bit confused.... i don't care is someone is atheist or true believer or indian or black or animal or fruit...

• Like 2

Btw, the media in India is going crazy about the video and cultural appropriation. I really don't know where I stand on this actually, because while they have shown quite a few misplaced stereotypes about India, I don't think it came from ignorance, but in accordance to the colourful theme of their album and stuff. But I know that people here in India would've gotten really pissed off if they came all the way to India and made a 'realistic' video like this:

• Like 2

Btw, the media in India is going crazy about the video and cultural appropriation. I really don't know where I stand on this actually, because while they have shown quite a few misplaced stereotypes about India, I don't think it came from ignorance, but in accordance to the colourful theme of their album and stuff. But I know that people here in India would've gotten really pissed off if they came all the way to India and made a 'realistic' video like this:

I was also thinking the same thing! What if they showed "real" and everyday life..

But we stayed so nice and polite that we should be proud ;)

See? @Jedi Leo and @I ran away proved that we can all get along together! It's just the sheer toxicity of the YouTube comments sections that make us think we'd have gotten into a big argument... but we all know that most of us are better people than to do that :D

Although it can legitimately be a touchy topic sometimes.

and quantum physics/superstring theory?! you are my idols..since i'm into quantum physics/superstring..... soooo interesting...

You're not all alone either, I LOVE that stuff!!!

• Like 3