✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I have been a member on this message board for 13 years. Sell outs...

bart

I have been a member on this message board for 13 years.

COLDPLAY were a group I really liked until they become complete and utter sell outs.

Since the Viva la vida album they don’t play instruments.

Can anyone defend them anymore.

Been to 6 of their concerts.

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

I even ended up moving from the UK to Barcelona due to meeting someone on here. I am so disappointed with the group.

Hope Chris martin … wakes up one day without a voice. Complete and utter sellout he is.

• Like 1

COLDPLAY were a group I really liked until they become complete and utter sell outs.

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

I even ended up moving from the UK to Barcelona due to meeting someone on here. I am so disappointed with the group.

Hope Chris martin … wakes up one day without a voice. Complete and utter sellout he is.

Agree that it went downhill since Viva :( Sorry to hear you have been so disappointed by their recent output; I can understand where your anger comes from.

Have you tried the Oldplaying thread ? You might find like-minded people there: http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplaying-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv.104785/

• Like 1

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

Times change,get used to it.

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

Wow.such a hateful and disgusting personality.if you don't like the band just learn to move on instead of cursing chris martin.simple as that

• Like 1

ouuh, risky business to create a thread like this in the Coldplay section :uhoh:

I'm not really into the last 3 albums either, but yes I can still defend them :awesome: They just make colourful music and a lot of people happen to like that so what's wrong with that? yes Coldplay changed but they still play instruments (not sure what makes you believe they don't) and they still try something new with every album. The day they start repeating themselves or start caring too much about what people think of them is when I'll stop definding them.

And wishing Chris woke up without a voice one day is just.... he didn't kill kittens or so, he (and the rest of the band) just decided to make music you don't like. It's just music. It sucks when a band you really loved make an album or two you don't like but it's just music and there's other music out there.

• Like 6

Half the OP was personal history and the other half was somewhat of an argument against Coldplay. If we're acting like the amount of time you've been a fan legitimizes your points (hint: it doesn't), then let me say ive been here for over 10 years. So let me try and get through to you as an equal.

Sellouts: My own view is that when you become such a large, international band like Coldplay, you're gonna have opportunities come to you to make money. I don't see the problem with this. There are millions of indie bands (like Coldplay once was) who would LOVE to be them right now. For better or for worse, money is a large part of how the world runs; its just reality. I can't believe I have to spell this out, but people need money to survive, and generally when anyone is offered a chance for some, they take that chance. I don't fault Coldplay for this because 99% of us would do the same if given the same chance.

What 99% of us would NOT do is donate a large portion of this money (they gained through being 'sellouts'). I would feel differently if Coldplay were to do a Nike commercial one day and blow it on a private jet the next. But they aren't doing this. They're donating it to MakeTradeFair, Global Citizen and other causes. So, if they're being sellouts and making money to donate to charity, I wouldn't want to stop that.

Thats really your only argument. Your other statement said they don't play any instruments since Viva. If you can't see or hear any instruments on this newest album, I can't show it to you any clearer.

Reading between the lines, I think what you're getting at, and what most of the 'older' fans are saying, is that they don't like their new sound anymore. In which case there's really nothing anyone can say to change your tastes and it'd be a waste of everyone's time. I'd direct you the oldplayers flock, seems like you'd like it there, but it seems like their head honcho has already done so. Best of luck there, but its a shame that you feel like you've lost the band even though I feel they're really still there, just in a slightly different costume.

• Like 12

Sellouts: My own view is that when you become such a large, international band like Coldplay, you're gonna have opportunities come to you to make money. I don't see the problem with this. There are millions of indie bands (like Coldplay once was) who would LOVE to be them right now. For better or for worse, money is a large part of how the world runs; its just reality. I can't believe I have to spell this out, but people need money to survive, and generally when anyone is offered a chance for some, they take that chance. I don't fault Coldplay for this because 99% of us would do the same if given the same chance.

What 99% of us would NOT do is donate a large portion of this money (they gained through being 'sellouts'). I would feel differently if Coldplay were to do a Nike commercial one day and blow it on a private jet the next. But they aren't doing this. They're donating it to MakeTradeFair, Global Citizen and other causes. So, if they're being sellouts and making money to donate to charity, I wouldn't want to stop that.

Hmm 99%. really? I don't think that most indie bands want to be like coldplay at all. They want success, tour all over the world, maybe a hit now and then and a steady group of fans but not be so crazy big that they're losing respect/dignity. They dont want to be called left shark or whatever.

Also you can become a very big band without making sugary pop music (like U2).

Yes, a lot of money goes to charity. But I also believe many other celebrities do this.

I understand anyone who loved the old coldplay and thinks they're not great anymore, just like the rest of the top40 music. I think no other band has changed like they have. I actually think no other bands has lost so many fans like they have.

But saying he should lose his voice is a bit extreme. Mr Martin is a very nice guy and so are the other guys, CM went through stuff and this+people in his life influenced his songwriting. He changed and the music did as well.

But there still is good stuff left: what do you think of these songs?: ghost story, moving to mars, us against the world, oceans, all your friends, midnight..

• Like 2

I love Mylo to bits because that was colorful yet rich and emotional in content still, it was just like the older works except poppier and happier. Still emotional in it. I consider myself a part of the rare group of Oldplayers who think they only went downhill since GS, and I've only found one other person who shares this with me! Interesting. I think their music is a little hollow now. Still enjoyable, but not as well crafted, emotional, or rich as before. The songwriting has taken a hit even, there hasn't been one song from the last two albums that matched Politik or The Scientist. Wish they'd take a break so they can write exceptional music!

Listening to Fix You, So I may as well I guess..

I will try..... To Fix you(r musical tastes, Chris Martin!) :D

• Like 1

Half the OP was personal history and the other half was somewhat of an argument against Coldplay. If we're acting like the amount of time you've been a fan legitimizes your points (hint: it doesn't), then let me say ive been here for over 10 years. So let me try and get through to you as an equal.

Thats really your only argument. Your other statement said they don't play any instruments since Viva. If you can't see or hear any instruments on this newest album, I can't show it to you any clearer.

Reading between the lines, I think what you're getting at, and what most of the 'older' fans are saying, is that they don't like their new sound anymore. In which case there's really nothing anyone can say to change your tastes and it'd be a waste of everyone's time. I'd direct you the oldplayers flock, seems like you'd like it there, but it seems like their head honcho has already done so. Best of luck there, but its a shame that you feel like you've lost the band even though I feel they're really still there, just in a slightly different costume.

Wonderfully written. Couldn't have done better myself. One thing about the money though: you are correct in the fact that most of us need money to survive in this world. However, some of us get a little too greedy when it comes to that. We want all the money that we can have, not only just enough that we can live a good life. Now that's another thing, because Coldplay are anything BUT greedy. It'd be super absurd to day they were. They donate a large portion of their earnings to very good causes as you said to, so again their anything but greedy. This guy's OP sellout argument is invalid. They're not keeping some of the money for themselves. Well, I mean they are, but they give a lot to good causes as well. So that's an argument invalidated.

And, as you said, it's extremely silly how he's thinking that none of them plays instrument anymore. You'd have to be deaf to not hear Jonny, Will, and Guy all over this album! I think he's just overly angry and now calling out Coldplay on false claims like that.

Again, myself I think they went a little downhill since GS (and significantly downhill in some ways since then) but saying their gone is just dumb. They're still here, their just doing something different. I don't know what's hard to understand. But you know what, sometimes I do get the feeling that they're not themselves anymore. I don't know lol. But this OP is letting the anger get the best of him. He said a lot of false things that aren't true, and I'll read over again and see if he actually said anything that was true.

It's dangerous if your an oldplayer and decide to post a thread like this. We all remember what happened when @howyousawtheworld posted his thread. What a freaking disaster. That does not need to happen again!! We're here to debate about this, yes, and enjoy the things we both do and talk about various topics, but not insulting, bashing, no, there is no place for that here. Have a good day!

Why is it that every single time I try to make a simple post about this my mind goes daydreaming and it all turns into a novel?

Hmm 99%. really? I don't think that most indie bands want to be like coldplay at all. They want success, tour all over the world, maybe a hit now and then and a steady group of fans but not be so crazy big that they're losing respect/dignity. They dont want to be called left shark or whatever.

Yes, a lot of money goes to charity. But I also believe many other celebrities do this.

I understand anyone who loved the old coldplay and thinks they're not great anymore, just like the rest of the top40 music. I think no other band has changed like they have. I actually think no other bands has lost so many fans like they have.

But saying he should lose his voice is a bit extreme. Mr Martin is a very nice guy and so are the other guys, CM went through stuff and this+people in his life influenced his songwriting. He changed and the music did as well.

But there still is good stuff left: what do you think of these songs?: ghost story, moving to mars, us against the world, oceans, all your friends, midnight..

Let me try to explain again: most bands want to become big. To be 'big' is to be successful and tour the world as you say. With the success comes the $$$. I'm saying no one should blame Coldplay for having money making opportunities come their way and I don't think anyone should blame Coldplay for accepting those opportunities. If someone else can turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars, then they're a bigger person than I. I'm not gonna pretend I can turn down a million dollars because I think its this or that.

Again, it just goes back to the general view that Coldplay has been in the decline. And again, its a matter of personal taste. I'm willing to concede their new material is not as great as the old. But it isn't so bad that I feel the need to slander and send ill-wishes to the band in the ways I see in this thread and others.

• Like 1

Calm down peeps. As a certain Mr. Martin said, its just music. There are plenty of different options out there for you, if recent coldplay is not your thing. No need to go wishing muteness on someone who still brings a lot of joy to a lot of people.

• Like 4

They'd be boring if all they did was try and replicate their old stuff each album,each album is different and unique. If people were true Coldplay fans they'd stick with it and the band. Chris has said all their previous work has led to a head full of dreams and they're really happy with how it came out. Not all Coldplay music has to be depressing or played with just instruments.

• Like 1

They'd be boring if all they did was try and replicate their old stuff each album,each album is different and unique. If people were true Coldplay fans they'd stick with it and the band. Chris has said all their previous work has led to a head full of dreams and they're really happy with how it came out. Not all Coldplay music has to be depressing or played with just instruments.

To mimic the other side for a second, the typical response I get when I say this is that it`s not so much that the new stuff has to be depressing to be good in their eyes. It`s that the new stuff lacks depth or soul. Its all related to the argument that they`ve `turned pop`.

Back to me now, I don`t think they`ve sold their soul, and I don`t know why pop is a bad word. I`ll take good pop over bad rock any day. But again, personal tastes....But like Gai said, personal preferences and conflicting tastes are one thing. But attacking the person is just plain childish.

• Like 2

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

Now, calm down. The conclusion that I have come up to is that they need a few years of hiatus to get their sh*t together. In the meantime, I am hoping that something happens to the music industry during that time that will make rock relevant again.

• Like 1

We all remember what happened when @howyousawtheworld posted his thread. What a freaking disaster. That does not need to happen again!

That was largely due to the way people responded. Some people apparently still find it hard to let ANY kind of criticism towards Coldplay stand here without bashing it. I agree that the OP's post was not carefully written argument and more an anger rant (and that wish on CM was unnecessary), but let's say I do understand where that anger comes from.

Again, it just goes back to the general view that Coldplay has been in the decline. And again, its a matter of personal taste. I'm willing to concede their new material is not as great as the old. But it isn't so bad that I feel the need to slander and send ill-wishes to the band in the ways I see in this thread and others.

I completely agree. I'm the same way, their new material can't compare to the old but I don't see it being so bad to freak out and want Chris to lose his voice. Even if I did think the new stuff was complete garbage I wouldn't say that. That is not okay.

• Like 1

In the meantime, I am hoping that something happens to the music industry during that time that will make rock relevant again.

Me too. There were a few different songs that weren't so hollow electro pop like Shut Up And Dance and even Uptown Funk but I wish real good rock was relevant again. I know it won't happen but I'm hoping for it.

• Like 1

That was largely due to the way people responded. Some people apparently still find it hard to let ANY kind of criticism towards Coldplay stand here without bashing it. I agree that the OP's post was not carefully written argument and more an anger rant (and that wish on CM was unnecessary), but let's say I do understand where that anger comes from.

I agree. It was unnecessary to say those things but I do understand that they think that Coldplays new content isn't so good. I'm the same way, I mean their new stuff is still enjoyable for me and I haven't wiped AHFOD of my phone because I still like every song from it and it's Coldplay so I'll get it anyway unless they go full on electropop hollow but I do think it is inferior to Coldplays older work! Just like GS for me. Those two albums are just a little hollow for me and the songwriting in both has taken a step down! A little too poppy and clean production to. But I still like them because it's still enjoyable, the songs are still good to me anyway.

• Like 1

Even if I agree with much of what was said to start this thread, it saddens me that as a long-time Coldplay fan, the author would stoop to ill-wishes towards Chris personally. Come on, think about what the band represent and the kind of human beings they are (believe in love, all their charitable work). This kind of talk, while it may not literally be what you mean, is so out of character for someone who calls them self a fan of such people. Such ill wishes have no place in this forum, of all places. I do hope you learn from this feedback. If you are still not convinced, please vent your anger elsewhere. My opinion.

• Like 5

3 in Manchester

3 In Barcelona

rfD82RX.gif

and wishing Chris Martin to lose his voice. ..

I hope one day you wake up without your dignity. Oh wait, you already lost it with your last statement.

• Like 1

I've been fan for almost 15 years,I lived with every new song,with their changes,their weddings,kids getting born,their growing up and getting older,winning awards...

Something I love less,something more but in general they always have what makes them Coldplay...their deepness and devotion,beautiful guitar background and lyrics so sincere and special,like some interesting story.

I admire them for being who they are despite of adjustment that they had to do. It doesn't bother me because I still see their true nature which is not lost,it has just grown up.

I'm sorry for you and for all those who harm themselves with their disappointment.