✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

why hymn for the weekend doesn't perform well inchart like other second single?

Tiskas00

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality is not relevant I think, when it comes to the charts. Looking at the top 40 now, there's only a handful of decent tracks in my opinion. 10 years ago, could probably pick out 15-20 songs.

It hasn't had any exposure really. I think the days of an album single charting on it's own merit are over, unless it's getting a lot of airtime / exposure.

I predict it will do better than Princess Of China (and that got to #3 in the UK). It's the sort of track that will get played everywhere, especially with Beyonce's involvement.

• Like 5

Perhaps because the quality of Coldplay isn't what it used to be?

Just something to consider.

That is true, however I'm surprised because this would sound like a club themed song at first glance which of course the mainstream would love so I don't understand why it's not doing as well as we expected it to

Maybe I'm too old or everyone needs a history lesson

First of all, Coldplay is still lame to the mainstream. If you didn't notice the backlash Chris got for being the odd one out or being the butt of everyone's halftime joke at the Super Bowl, you probably aren't looking hard enough. Everyone will FOREVER know Coldplay as the "lame", "snoozy", and "sad" band. You can argue all you want with anecdotal evidence but it's true. No matter how many albums they churn out with Norway's finest (whoever the producers are, stargaze?) they will ALWAYS be known for Viva, Clocks, Yellow, and maybe Paradise. The rest of their hits come and go in pop culture. Viva, Clocks, and Yellow are the songs you hear when they get mentioned on the news. No one is paying attention to Coldplay the hip and happening pop music band anymore, they can't ride relevance to every corner of the world like they could all VLV Era. Alternative stations aren't playing it, Pop stations aren't playing it, quite frankly it's not their best work.

Second, being "uncool" in music doesn't get your singles played. can explain it all much better than I ever could.

Required listening:

Bonus:

First of all, Coldplay is still lame to the mainstream. If you didn't notice the backlash Chris got for being the odd one out or being the butt of everyone's halftime joke at the Super Bowl, you probably aren't looking hard enough. Everyone will FOREVER know Coldplay as the "lame", "snoozy", and "sad" band. You can argue all you want with anecdotal evidence but it's true. No matter how many albums they churn out with Norway's finest (whoever the producers are, stargaze?) they will ALWAYS be known for Viva, Clocks, Yellow, and maybe Paradise. The rest of their hits come and go in pop culture. Viva, Clocks, and Yellow are the songs you hear when they get mentioned on the news. No one is paying attention to Coldplay the hip and happening pop music band anymore, they can't ride relevance to every corner of the world like they could all VLV Era. Alternative stations aren't playing it, Pop stations aren't playing it, quite frankly it's not their best work.

Second, being "uncool" in music doesn't get your singles played. can explain it all much better than I ever could.

Required listening:

Bonus:

Actually i read some tweets, when #SB50 and #Chris Martin were trending.

and all people talking about is Chris Martin is so cute how i not know it until the half time show...something like that

The "Chris Martin is the left shark" thing is really two comments and the media make it a big thing so people talk about it.

and people either defended CM or thought the joke's hilarous(not hating the band)

so I think the SB half time affect people in a positive way, their reputation to those who really didn't know them much gets better, and those who hated Coldplay they're going to hate them forever so..they aren't going to represent the mass that much anymore..

(hope you can understand my english)

• Like 2

Required listening:

Bonus:

Alternative stations are playing Adventure of a lifetime all the time.. it, in fact, became a number one on US alternative radio.. where do u get ur facts?

• Like 3

I was delighted that they didn't play HFTW at Superbowl. Out of all the time Coldplay had allocated, they chose a selection of great songs. HFTW is extremely weak compared to the likes of VLV and Paradise imo. I think their aim was to showcase their career in a very short space of time and going from Yellow all the way to Up&Up (great album track minus the production) was a good choice.

In an ideal world, they'd tell Beyonce and Bruno to do one and play all of these songs in full but hey!

• Like 1

Alternative stations are playing Adventure of a lifetime all the time.. it, in fact, became a number one on US alternative radio.. where do u get ur facts?

Exactly, every time I turn on Alt Nation AOAL plays. It's literally overplayed now on it.

• Like 1

Exactly, every time I turn on Alt Nation AOAL plays. It's literally overplayed now on it.

In the thread labeled

"why hymn for the weekend doesn't perform well inchart like other second single?"

Why would you think I'm talking about AOAL?

looks like up&up is already being released as the next single. they are not promoting this at all.

What are Coldplay actually doing? Up&Up is definetely not going to get popular. They should pay attention to HFTW.

Although, that is pretty cool for such an epic closer like Up&Up to be released as a single...

• Like 1

What are Coldplay actually doing? Up&Up is definetely not going to get popular. They should pay attention to HFTW.

Although, that is pretty cool for such an epic closer like Up&Up to be released as a single...

unlike what most of us believe, their promo decisions are as if they are radiohead or something. (now, don't take that literally, hahaa) i don't think they care about how well their singles do as much as we think they do.