✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Up&Up To Become The Next Single From A Head Full of Dreams

stephen

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the silence after the 1st chorus is weirdly too quiet. It's very short...but jarring.

Wow 3:45 to the end is pretty egregious:

-You can hear the first few notes of the second guitar solo. Did they forget to mute that guitar track or what?

-The echoing whoa's are present, but it only makes sense for those to be there because they're echoes of vocals that happen DURING the second guitar solo, which was cut.

It's like they cut and mixed it without having access to the separate tracks....pretty poor editing IMO in addition to the fact that cutting such a great epic song like this was a bad idea in the first place.

• Like 5

This is how you kill a good song. HORRIBLE edition. I could have done a much greater work on it only with my laptop. Also, no b-sides? NONE? That's a shame.

It sucks, but I suspect they might be done with b-sides. They technically didn't have b-sides in Ghost Stories - the extra ones are "bonus tracks".

Guest diogo_sg
Wait a minute, is the music video gonna be for the radio edit version of Up&Up???

NOOOOOOOO!!!![emoji33]

Is the music video really for Up&Up? It would make sense if it were, as it is the new single, but the song they played twice in Mexico was AHFOD, not Up&Up.

Is the music video really for Up&Up? It would make sense if it were, as it is the new single, but the song they played twice in Mexico was AHFOD, not Up&Up.

I think the AHFOD video will be a "Live Video" like they did with Charlie Brown :)

• Like 1

I don't think there will be an A Head Full of Dreams music video. They've never done music videos for album openers.

I dont like to contradict people, but Don't Panic was a single and had a music video.......but they havent done one since then

• Like 3

The radio edit is pure and utter crap. They've taken out about 1/2 of the second verse (goes straight from "lying in the gutter, aiming for the moon..." to "see the forest there in every seed"). They've taken out the second solo completely (up and up and up) and the piano in between. No "believe in love" either.

Tl;dr -- a lot of what made the song beautiful (for me at least) is gone. Not cool, Coldplay.

It's basically the version they did on the Today show. It ends quite suddenly, like Birds.. Guess this is how they are promoting this song.. I don't mind any of the versions, to be honest.. :shrug:

• Like 1

I agree with myl_oxyl_oto. I'm not a fan of the edit at all. They took one of, if not the best song on the album and butchered it with sloppy cuts. It's a shame that people first listening to this song on the radio won't hear the full beauty of it.

• Like 2

Just listened to the Radio Edit. I'm not an audio engineer, but I can tell you immediately that it is sloppy. Really sloppy. If this was planned to be a Single for release on radio from the start, then it should have been recorded again for the purpose of releasing a cut-down version that at least wouldn't sound so slap-dash.

The un-cut version is by far one of my favourites on the album, and it's such a shame that the edit doesn't do the song any justice.

Up & Up is too long and not really a radio single - it's a great album track and closer to the theme of the album. Fun would have been the next best single if they are already giving up on Hymn for the Weekend which I don't understand - they need to do another promo with Beyonce there - unless they don't like the negative publicity Beyonce has been getting for her anti-police song. Fun or Army of One are the two tracks that have some sort of radio potential with Fun being the most - I would have thought Everglow would be another one even though they did it as a promo single.

"Anti-police" ? xD

Just listened to the Radio Edit. I'm not an audio engineer, but I can tell you immediately that it is sloppy. Really sloppy. If this was planned to be a Single for release on radio from the start, then it should have been recorded again for the purpose of releasing a cut-down version that at least wouldn't sound so slap-dash.

The un-cut version is by far one of my favourites on the album, and it's such a shame that the edit doesn't do the song any justice.

I think I'd have to agree. It just doesn't make sense to cut a song of that length when the album is full of commercially viable songs (Fun, Amazing Day, even Army of One). I also find it quite ironic that the single version has been butchered when you think of how the album version is essentially 3 chunks of music melded into one. Don't get me wrong, I love the original as it is but the second solo section is one of the most blatantly obvious edits I've ever heard on a record...

• Like 1

I just listened to it for the first time, and I had pretty low expectations after reading all this. However, I thought the radio edit wasn't that bad. It was a little choppy in like 2 places, but nothing major that ruins the song. I thought they did the song justice in the limited time they had!