✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fix You, Up&Up or Amsterdam?

What's good for a song closer live? It used to be Fix You for the longest time, before that it was Amsterdam and way before that (Could you figure that out, I think it was See You Soon?) And with now Fix You is no longer as the song closer, which is replaced by Up&Up, I find both have unique differences why both fit in, although I sometimes miss Fix You being the ending because it literally sums up about...everything. I cant specifically describe how 'everything' will lead to but with the matter of tunes, it fits very well that goes with the piano and the meaning of the song itself imo.

Thoughts?

Biased just because I like Up&Up probably more than any other Coldplay song right now. In my mind it's just the perfect song....guitar solos and piano, a big singalong, and stuff. I'd say that the verses to Up&Up are kind of sad or bittersweet. Though definitely the transition from the quiet to loud part in Fix You is huge. I also love Amsterdam but think it's less powerful of a song than the other two.

Life is for Living was fun as a closer too. :)

• Like 2

Biased just because I like Up&Up probably more than any other Coldplay song right now. In my mind it's just the perfect song....guitar solos and piano, a big singalong, and stuff. I'd say that the verses to Up&Up are kind of sad or bittersweet. Though definitely the transition from the quiet to loud part in Fix You is huge. I also love Amsterdam but think it's less powerful of a song than the other two.

Life is for Living was fun as a closer too. :)

Ah yes! I have forgotten Life Is For A Living used to be a song closer too. That was a good one during Parachutes era. I agree on what you said, Up&Up ends with bittersweet but I wouldnt say it's the perfect song to end for every era. I guess it fits for this current tour. But maybe Fix You is more of fitting in all tours, imo. I dont know, I find it Fix You has more sad and hopeful message in it, it's more meaningful when it puts at the very end of the setlist.

Or better yet, sometimes I would love to see Gravity being played live at the Encore, right before Fix You or Up&Up. Like man, I really wish it could ever happen.

Amsterdam was a good closer for its time, but then Fix You and Every Teardrop and Up&Up came along. Up until I saw them in 2012, I would always argue that Every Teardrop was the worst closer they could have picked but boy was I wrong. What a wall of energy. I hope they move it lower in the setlist as this tour progresses simply because of how much fucking energy it has. It'd fit in perfectly between ASFOS and Up&Up!

I'm beyond pumped to hear Up&Up live. If I get emotional hearing it over recordings I honestly don't know what I'll be like when I hear it with my own ears. Not to mention that fucking beautiful outro of, "Believe in love". Reminds me a lot of Life is For Living -- and in some ways, better than that!

• Like 3

Fix You is the best closer and will probably be the best closer ever. Fix You is one of the best songs from the band, unmistakably. While I really like Up&Up and Amsterdam, Fix You will be the best closer ever because first, it is one of their most famous songs and second, although a sad song, it has that really uplifting part with Jonny's solo that is perfect as a closer. Although Up&Up has two solos, the feeling that the music produces in the crowd is not the same and this is obvious. Amsterdam is also too mellow and not so well known.

• Like 2

Aw man, I think I am gonna be 5 times crying during Up&Up live. Although I still prefer Fix You in any way but for this AHFOD tour, I have changed my mind - Up&Up is winning. It has that different emotional level you can feel apart from Fix You. With the ending lyrics that says "Don't ever give up", the simple sentence that everyone usually knows about, but its brought up into a song, and Coldplay arrange the tone in a good way possible. I honestly dont know how to explain but it always brings me tears at the end of the song, I always have that deep moment.

I just have been to a concert in one era so I can't say which is best. However, the message that Up&Up has it's so powerful, I love the ending and how togetherness is seen with the xylobands glowing while the band are playing the last notes. This song leave you with a huge smile on your face and the sense that it doesn't matter what everything will be all right.

I wish I was able to hear Fix You and ETIAW during their respective eras. Both have a powerful sound that sums up what they wanted to share during their concerts at that time. Now, they represent what Coldplay were, are and will be.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see them live on April 1st (Buenos Aires 2nd Night) and although i really love Up&Up, i don't really liked it that much as a closer. For me the closer must be a song with lots of energy like ETIAW or ASFOS. I also never liked Amsterdam o Fix You as closers, although once again, i love those songs. All that said, my favorite closer of all time has to be Life is For Living <3, such a perfect song to close a gig.