✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Song Request Discussion for North American Tour

guy42

Good evening. It’s now just five days until the A Head Full Of Dreams Tour reaches North America! There are still a limited number of tickets available – see the Tour page for all the details.

If you’re coming to one of the shows and there’s a Coldplay song you’d like to hear (which the band don’t usually play), then we’d love you to send us your video – and then yours might get chosen and played! Here’s what you need to do…

– Record a short video (15 seconds or less) of yourself on a plain background telling us which Coldplay song you’d like the band to play.

– Please don’t have any music playing too – just you talking.

– Don’t forget to tell us why you’d like to hear your chosen song.

– Upload your video to Instagram with the name of your chosen song as a hashtag (ie #TheScientist) PLUS the appropriate show hashtag from below (only one show hashtag per post, please). Please TAG @Coldplay too. If you’re going to a show in a city which has more than one show, please also tell us which date you’re going to.

#NYCRequest

#IndianapolisRequest

#StLouisRequest

#ChicagoRequest

#LouisvilleRequest

#ColumbusRequest

#BostonRequest

#BuffaloRequest

#DetroitRequest

#PittsburghRequest

#PhiladelphiaRequest

#LARequest

#PhoenixRequest

#TulsaRequest

#DallasRequest

#DenverRequest

#SaltLakeCityRequest

#VegasRequest

#SanFranciscoRequest

And then when you’re at the shows, we’d love you to share your pictures and videos on social media using these hashtags…

#ColdplayNYC

#ColdplayIndianapolis

#ColdplayStLouis

#ColdplayChicago

#ColdplayLouisville

#ColdplayColumbus

#ColdplayBoston

#ColdplayBuffalo

#ColdplayDetroit

#ColdplayPittsburgh

#ColdplayPhiladelphia

#ColdplayLA

#ColdplayPhoenix

#ColdplayTulsa

#ColdplayDallas

#ColdplayDenver

#ColdplaySaltLakeCity

#ColdplayVegas

#ColdplaySanFrancisco

We’ll be posting lots of photos and videos on the band’s Instagram, Twitter and Facebook accounts too – and here on the official site.

We look forward to seeing your requests…

Anchorman

X

What song do you want to request for your show?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't make it to any of the North American shows, but I will support the I Ran Away Project by requesting I Ran Away a few times. :smiley: Of course I would prefer if the band plays it based on the special booklet/cover, but I'm going to do what I can to increase the odds of them playing it.

• Like 3

Does it feel like to anyone else that the audience request songs are really limited, or maybe even a little "pre-determined"?

With only 13 unique request songs played so far in 30 shows (check out the recent posts in the AHFOD set list stats thread), there isn't as much variety as I expected or hoped for. I know the main set list songs are out, and they're limited to acoustic versions, but some songs are getting way more attention than others like In My Place. I suppose the songs might be selected by popular demand. Maybe that's why the song title has to be hashtagged in the request, so whoever picks the song can tally up the requests easily. Or I fear the songs are chosen in advance, and the hashtags are just used so they can find a random request video to show at the concert of the song they already decided to play.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the shows my kids & I are going to are coming up soon, and I have doubts about anything we can control to help their requests get chosen, like doing something unique in the video. I think it would be so cool for them to have one of their videos shown (they're each going to separate shows, so they won't be competing against each other) and I feel like it's more likely to happen if they request one of the "stand-by" songs instead of a more obscure song they like better. [emoji20] ~ sad mom ~

• Like 5

Does it feel like to anyone else that the audience request songs are really limited, or maybe even a little "pre-determined"?

With only 13 unique request songs played so far in 30 shows (check out the recent posts in the AHFOD set list stats thread), there isn't as much variety as I expected or hoped for. I know the main set list songs are out, and they're limited to acoustic versions, but some songs are getting way more attention than others like In My Place. I suppose the songs might be selected by popular demand. Maybe that's why the song title has to be hashtagged in the request, so whoever picks the song can tally up the requests easily. Or I fear the songs are chosen in advance, and the hashtags are just used so they can find a random request video to show at the concert of the song they already decided to play.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the shows my kids & I are going to are coming up soon, and I have doubts about anything we can control to help their requests get chosen, like doing something unique in the video. I think it would be so cool for them to have one of their videos shown (they're each going to separate shows, so they won't be competing against each other) and I feel like it's more likely to happen if they request one of the "stand-by" songs instead of a more obscure song they like better. [emoji20] ~ sad mom ~

I feel exactly the same.

I agree. On one hand, I do enjoy songs like In My Place and Trouble after they had been absent for several years, but it's a little disappointing when it's the same song several times. I reckon rarities like Speed of Sound and Strawberry Swing are requested for every show, but the band usually chooses something more well-known. Oh well, best of luck to your kids no matter what songs they choose!

I can't make it to any of the North American shows, but I will support the I Ran Away Project by requesting I Ran Away a few times. :smiley: Of course I would prefer if the band plays it based on the special booklet/cover, but I'm going to do what I can to increase the odds of them playing it.

Ah, that would be a dream come true. What a great song that is! Thanks for considering doing that!

I am extremely disappointed that they haven't played Talk on this tour yet. I mean, they have time to at least soundcheck songs like Square One and DAAHF, BUT NOT TALK??? Why does Guy hate that song so much?

I actually don't know if Guy hates that song (at least based on this post by Debs Wild in the Batman Interview thread, if I interpret it correctly). Perhaps because of the following reasons:

1. some members couldn't get along with each other very well (as in the case of A Whisper), or

2. they aren't able to make it work live the way they want to (as in the case of Twisted Logic), or

3. they just don't like performing it because of bad memory associations (as it used to be the case for Speed of Sound).

Anyways, those are just some of my hypotheses :)

• Like 1

Ah, that would be a dream come true. What a great song that is! Thanks for considering doing that!

I actually don't know if Guy hates that song (at least based on this post by Debs Wild in the Batman Interview thread, if I interpret it correctly). Perhaps because of the following reasons:

1. some members couldn't get along with each other very well (as in the case of A Whisper), or

2. they aren't able to make it work live the way they want to (as in the case of Twisted Logic), or

3. they just don't like performing it because of bad memory associations (as it used to be the case for Speed of Sound).

Anyways, those are just some of my hypotheses :)

In the most recent Q magazine article, Chris confirmed that Guy does not want to perform Talk.

• Like 1

In the most recent Q magazine article, Chris confirmed that Guy does not want to perform Talk.

Yeah, I know, my point was that they might still not mind playing it on the C stage, as it requires a different use of instruments.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they pulled off something like the techno version of Talk in Japan, which (I think) was also performed on a smaller stage (or at least could have been)?

I'm saying perhaps Guy doesn't like performing it for technical reasons, and that playing it as a request song may be doable.

Also, didn't Chris say that he doesn't like performing Speed of Sound? Yet they still performed it as a request song. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

• Like 2

Yeah, I know, my point was that they might still not mind playing it on the C stage, as it requires a different use of instruments.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they pulled off something like the techno version of Talk in Japan, which (I think) was also performed on a smaller stage (or at least could have been)?

I'm saying perhaps Guy doesn't like performing it for technical reasons, and that playing it as a request song may be doable.

Also, didn't Chris say that he doesn't like performing Speed of Sound? Yet they still performed it as a request song. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

I think I remember Chris saying that they don't like the version of Speed of Sound that appears on X&Y, so they prefer the more stripped-down version.

Or I fear the songs are chosen in advance, and the hashtags are just used so they can find a random request video to show at the concert of the song they already decided to play.

I think this is exactly how it happens and that it has little to do with the number of requests or how particularly sweet or unique the video is.

And yes, given the sheer number of gems to choose from, some songs could have been played less in favour of others, but I also get it that sometimes they want to choose a safe bet or songs that they really enjoy playing. As @guy42 pointed out, there are many possibilities why we don't get to hear certain songs and as much as I as a fan would like the hear this or that song, I also understand that maybe they as artists and creators have their reasons for not doing so. Also, I get it that choosing the more "known" ones, would make sure that more people in the stadium actually know the song and have a connection with it. (The people around me in front row in Gelsenkirchen didn't know See You Soon, so they got a little bored and didn't hide it, lol :D)

Overall, however, I think that also the request element adds to the increase of variety for this tour and therefore I find it very positive. By having this varying element, I feel that they also created more free space for the other songs played at the B and C stages, even if it's not the request. During this tour, with 30 shows so far (not including festivals and promo shows), they played 40 different Coldplay songs (covers not included). The MX tour had about 74 shows (also not including the festival tour and promos) and overall they only played 32 different songs. Back then they had the exact same setlist for 40+ shows. With the B and C stages, they would have also had some room to include more variation, but they rarely used it.

So even though this request thing might be a little bluff package, I'm not disappointed. I think it might have made them re-discover some of their older stuff and connect with it again. (I mean they soundchecked Square One and DAAHF in Copenhagen! Who knew they'd still remember these? I hardly did and had to think hard about WTF I'm hearing there. :D)

Also, I think it's nice that one person gets to be on the big screen and have a song that is dear to them played. Even if the rest of the stadium or we don't like it, lol. :D So keep wishing for the songs close to your hearts! :)

• Like 5

I think this is exactly how it happens and that it has little to do with the number of requests or how particularly sweet or unique the video is.

And yes, given the sheer number of gems to choose from, some songs could have been played less in favour of others, but I also get it that sometimes they want to choose a safe bet or songs that they really enjoy playing. As @guy42 pointed out, there are many possibilities why we don't get to hear certain songs and as much as I as a fan would like the hear this or that song, I also understand that maybe they as artists and creators have their reasons for not doing so. Also, I get it that choosing the more "known" ones, would make sure that more people in the stadium actually know the song and have a connection with it. (The people around me in front row in Gelsenkirchen didn't know See You Soon, so they got a little bored and didn't hide it, lol :D)

Overall, however, I think that also the request element adds to the increase of variety for this tour and therefore I find it very positive. By having this varying element, I feel that they also created more free space for the other songs played at the B and C stages, even if it's not the request. During this tour, with 30 shows so far (not including festivals and promo shows), they played 40 different Coldplay songs (covers not included). The MX tour had about 74 shows (also not including the festival tour and promos) and overall they only played 32 different songs. Back then they had the exact same setlist for 40+ shows. With the B and C stages, they would have also had some room to include more variation, but they rarely used it.

So even though this request thing might be a little bluff package, I'm not disappointed. I think it might have made them re-discover some of their older stuff and connect with it again. (I mean they soundchecked Square One and DAAHF in Copenhagen! Who knew they'd still remember these? I hardly did and had to think hard about WTF I'm hearing there. :D)

Also, I think it's nice that one person gets to be on the big screen and have a song that is dear to them played. Even if the rest of the stadium or we don't like it, lol. :D So keep wishing for the songs close to your hearts! :)

You said very well what I was thinking. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

I think this is exactly how it happens and that it has little to do with the number of requests or how particularly sweet or unique the video is.......

Yep, I agree with everything you said. I love how no one really knows what the set list will be from one show to the next with all the changes on the B & C stages.

I think I got my hopes up early on that one of my kids' request videos might actually get chosen because they're cute (of course I'm biased [emoji39] ), and then I got bummed out when I realized it's probably not that simple. I blame it on my motherly instinct coming out to fight for them. But then again, I'll be doing my own video too, so I guess I'm competing against them too! LOL. [emoji28]

On the bright side I've decided not to stress over which song they request and to just encourage them to pick one they really like. This will also help them learn some other CP songs that they aren't used to hearing from my phone downloads in the car all the time. I pulled out all my old album CD's tonight and made a long list of the songs they should listen to and pick from, taking off the ones on the regular set list that I know won't get chosen. I look forward to hearing what they decide on!

There are still a few songs that they have played during soundcheck but are not performed yet.

"One I love" could be a candidate for the next shows.

:wideeyed:

Ughhhhhh, don't get my hopes up too much :smiley:

It would make my year if Coldplay responded to my request! I was thinking about my sister and I posting a creative video for our request to make it stand out for the Salt Lake City show... but I just don't know what to ask for.

In my fantasy world, they would play my fave live tracks: A Whisper, HLH, 42, Yes, Til Kingdom Come, AROBTTH, LiJ--but I don't know how realistic those are, especially on a B or C stage... Plus, they probably won't be playing anything too deep cut on this tour, which is dumb.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Our favorite albums are definitely VLV and AROBTTH (anything oldplay) but the old rock/indie stuff they have been neglecting the most on this tour! Not sure what we should request, especially when it seems like they just go for the obvious ones (I really don't need to see In My Place, sorry).