✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy Berryman Basslines appreciation

BuddingBassist

It's definitely a great show with a great setlist. You might be biased because it's from your country but you're definitely right!

Haha, the funny thing is when I first saw snippets of it I didn't know it was in Germany. I just liked the relaxed atmosphere of it all, and the fact that it was a beautiful summer day, it fits the album well. I tend to be biased towards outdoor concerts under clear skies, for example the Pinkpop Festival performance in the Netherlands of 2011. I feel the weather adds to the atmosphere if it's good :) (Of course, a performance can be in bad weather and still have a great atmosphere, e.g. Glasto 2005) :)

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Violet Hill's bassline is pretty awesome too. Well, actually he shines on many VLVODAAHF era songs. Lovers, 42, Cemeteries Of London, Yes, LiTii...

Violet is up there in his best basslines. I agree his work in vlvodaahf is good. Life in technicolour has a nice line but my favourite has to be death and all his friends.

• Like 2

"I prefer the bassist" ha, nice shirt in your avi :D

Violet is up there in his best basslines. I agree his work in vlvodaahf is good. Life in technicolour has a nice line but my favourite has to be death and all his friends.

Yeah, in DAAHF the bassline combined with the irregular meter of 7/4 makes it a dazzling masterwork.

• Like 1

"I prefer the bassist" ha, nice shirt in your avi :D

Yeah, in DAAHF the bassline combined with the irregular meter of 7/4 makes it a dazzling masterwork.

Yes. Yes. Yes. It's a great line I still haven't fully cracked it yet. It's more of a timing issues I guess xD [emoji1]

• Like 1

Yes. Yes. Yes. It's a great line I still haven't fully cracked it yet. It's more of a timing issues I guess xD [emoji1]

Haha yeah, it took me a while just to get used to singing that part. I can imagine how many more times you have to listen to the song to get the bassline.

• Like 1

Only just read that comment about the drums.

Just out of interest, how would you describe the shift in drums from Parachutes to AROBTTH ?

And I agree about Parachutes being quite a unique blend of mostly guitar, vocals, bass and drums....

I'm not sure exactly what @MosesTheMarshmallow meant, but I would say the drums in AROBTTH sound more noisy (more snare-y I guess) and the sound falls flat. In Parachutes they sound more clean and they reverb/echo more.

• Like 2

I'm not sure exactly what @MosesTheMarshmallow meant, but I would say the drums in AROBTTH sound more noisy (more snare-y I guess) and the sound falls flat. In Parachutes they sound more clean and they reverb/echo more.

If you want to get technical, AROBTTH drums are much more rock-y. The kick on that album is tuned very damp and hardly shows through on most songs, but the snare drum has a much bigger pop to it. On Parachutes, Will makes common use of reverb and also uses different drum styles, like brushes on Sparks and We Never Change, open snares on Spies and For You, and rods on Don't Panic.

• Like 1

If you want to get technical, AROBTTH drums are much more rock-y. The kick on that album is tuned very damp and hardly shows through on most songs, but the snare drum has a much bigger pop to it. On Parachutes, Will makes common use of reverb and also uses different drum styles, like brushes on Sparks and We Never Change, open snares on Spies and For You, and rods on Don't Panic.

I agree, they're definitely more rock-y. Do you know if it's due to the settings or due to a change in the drum set altogether?

• Like 1

I agree, they're definitely more rock-y. Do you know if it's due to the settings or due to a change in the drum set altogether?

There could be a change in post production but it's mostly tuning and playing styles i think. Again, can't be sure without asking Will himself but this is just assumption based on my previous experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it's a bit of both. A lot of the songs on that album lend themselves to more percussive drumming, but Will has also changed his kit over the years. He used to favor a fairly large bass drum that would lend itself to low tuning, but he's shifted to progressively smaller drums over time. He's also switched from favoring wood snare drums to metal ones and for this able and tour moved away from the maple kits he's historically used because he says he finds to recording custom kits he uses now fit better with all the samples they use in the newer material.

It's not like he's made huge changes to the kit, but he is also constantly evolving in little respects that will have some effect on the sound.