✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Guy Berryman Basslines appreciation

BuddingBassist

As you can see I enjoy Guy's work on the bass. I feel like the majority of songs he finds the right balance. ON some songs he really steals it like magic, violet hill, sparks. One of my favourite has to be everything's not lost. His main riff on that is amazing. What is your favourite bassline created by him and what is your favourite album of basslines from him.

:parachutes::arobtth::x&y::viva::mylo::gs::gslite:AHFOD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this thread! He has the ability to add the sound that is needed to improve the song. There are so many, right now I can name

- Magic, he started the song and it turns out into a classic.

- The whole thing AHFOD album.

- Fix You, the live version either with Chris on piano or the new version he appears in the right moment

- Clocks, such a great bass riff

-Low, plus he did some backing vocals

• Like 2

I have many favorite basslines, can't really decide. Three good ones that come to my mind immediately are Things I don't understand, I Ran Away and Clocks. Favorite album basslines would be between AROBTTH and X&Y.

I'll check out things I don't understand and I ran away. Clocks is a classic. And I agree X&Y has some good basslines too :)

• Like 1

AROBTTH has amazing basslines. But my favorite to play, though it's simple, is Birds. It just has this nice energy to it that I can play over and over and not get tired.

I love playing birds. It's really upbeat and I you are so right I find myself playing that main but simple riff over and over again.

• Like 2

TOO MANY TO NAME.

-The second verse of Up&Up (on "how come people suffer..."), and the song in general.

-The end of ETIAW

-UATW - ultra simple line, but it's the climax of the song!

-Speed of Sound

1) Up&Up is an interesting line. I agree his little riff during the second verse is cool but i'm still yet to figure it out :pensive:

2) The ending of ETIAW is the best part of the whole song. Guy really turns it on. The way he uses the 1st, 3rd and 5th of the D major and A major scales is fantastic. His craft there was excellent. That part is usually overshadowed by will's amazing drumming in that section.

3)Salute to UATW!

4) Love the line in speed of sound. Guy also does backing vocals live on that one I think.

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of Birds' bassline! It's very shuffly and dancy in a way that most Coldplay songs aren't. A long time ago Chris said AHFOD would make you dance a bit and at least for me, Birds is the song that really embodies that for me. :)

his part in No More Keeping My Feet on the Ground really brings that song together, too :D

Whoa I never noticed the bassline in this song - it's very groovy!

More good basslines:

-Paradise! I really like the distortion on the album version, and in general it's just a great melody.

-Yes, during the instrumental bits Guy plays a very cello-like line. (I'm sure it's him though because in live versions he plays it and it sounds the same)

-AIMH, during the instrumental part. Very prominent Guy line that works really well with Jonny's guitar and the strings and I love it!

• Like 3

Everything's not lost in my opinion is the best one on parachutes? Agree or disagree??:)

I totally agree! I think it's the best one in Parachutes nod.gif.f6c111bb37439e2414b09c3e489a9e0c.gif

Edit: And let's not forget about One I Love, so rocky, I really love it heart.gif.0546fdd6511cb119583f15ddbfcebc92.gif

• Like 2

^One I Love, Everything's Not Lost, and a number of other songs in the early Coldplay days have a really nice funky groove to them. Another couple songs that comes to mind of that sort are High Speed and Shiver. Those songs are almost jazzy in their basslines, which is interesting of Guy since he's not in Jonny Goes Jazz. :p I'm not sure any recent Coldplay has had that style that I can think of. This may also be because the drums have shifted in nature, which means the bass needs to be different. Not that this is a bad thing, but an interesting evolution of the bass lines!

• Like 3

^One I Love, Everything's Not Lost, and a number of other songs in the early Coldplay days have a really nice funky groove to them. Another couple songs that comes to mind of that sort are High Speed and Shiver. Those songs are almost jazzy in their basslines, which is interesting of Guy since he's not in Jonny Goes Jazz. :p I'm not sure any recent Coldplay has had that style that I can think of. This may also be because the drums have shifted in nature, which means the bass needs to be different. Not that this is a bad thing, but an interesting evolution of the bass lines!

I can definitely hear/feel the funky groove in High Speed and Shiver - it's actually sort of my favorite quality regarding the Parachutes album in general... Although I don't know if I notice anything quite like it in AROBTTH or later. The bass sounds in AROBTTH tend to have the straight-up rock style due to the fact that you can't hear as much gliding (if at all) when compared with Parachutes. I think the closest you get is GPASUYF.

Actually now that I've compared them, I think I'm definitely right on this smiley1a.gif.80ef2d25bd712e3741920f730c1699d2.gif. About the jazzy style, yeah the basslines sound pretty jazzy partly due to the gliding, and I do think this album has a unique style of everything, guitar, vocals, and bass - I've never heard an album quite like it. The drums definitely changed a lot from P to AROBTTH so Guy might have been playing differently (or just using a different bass), and I'm not sure if they used a different piano.

• Like 2

Whoa. So nice that there are others who appreciate Guy's work as I do! I totally agree on Clocks, and two more songs in my mind are Lovers in Japan and Shiver, especially the intro part. Best albums with great baselines for me are VLV, X&Y and AROBTTH :-D

Sent from my D5503 using Coldplaying mobile app

Shiver line is one of my favourite to play. The contrast between the gentle verses to the pumped up choruses makes it so fun to play! [emoji4]