✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What Does a Coldplay Song or Album Remind You of?

antdrew

Just thought it would be interesting to hear what place/moment/time/person certain coldplay songs or even an entire album reminds you of.

For me Parachutes, the album, has been on my mind, it reminds me of the cold, slow rolling bus touring through Germany in winter with tons of fog all around the autobahn. Also reminds me of waking up when it was pitch black at 6am getting ready for school there... Lastly, it just reminds me of the bitter sweetness of love really.

Sorry if this thread's been done before or something then I'll just get rid of this one :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I answer this thoroughly it's going to turn into a the greatest tl;dr of all-time haha. I have a lot of them and most of them are mundane, but music makes mundanity tolerable doesn't it?

-Parachutes stuff and related B sides remind me of studying in my cramped freshman dorm room with cheap headphones and big old CRT computer monitor on WinAmp. For You especially for some reason. Maybe because I sort of forgot about that song for a few years after that so it's really tied to that time.

-AROBTTH I won't go into everything because that's kinda big. It reminds me of a tough time in college when I started having chronic pain that no one could figure out (still haven't!). The Scientist and In My Place in particular, just have very specific memories of moments where those held me in one piece. Also driving around campus and just being alone with that CD and escaping. Also listening to the CD with my dad when he drove me home on breaks before I had the car.

-X&Y very much takes me back to the year I lived in State College, Pa., for my first job. Didn't have a single friend there but I was pretty happy and hopeful. Beautiful place in the mountains, just drove around listening to that album all the time. What If and A Message take me back a lot, I guess just because they were my favorites and I felt I related to them a lot at the time. Swallowed In The Sea reminds me of the long runs I used to go on up there. Not sure why, never listened to music while I ran but it was in my head a lot I guess. Album also reminds me of driving over the Tappan Zee bridge heading on an assignment that was massive and I was so terrified to drive anywhere near NYC (or any city). A local station was streaming it as it had just come out, first time I heard it and hearing the band's sound but with new songs was so comforting then.

-Violet Hill reminds me of installing this really cool new head unit in my car and being proud I did it myself, and getting my first iPod which went with said head unit. It also reminds me of this one night I was in a really bad place, and turned on VH1 at 3 a.m and the video came on and I just felt like it grabbed me and pulled me back to earth. Lost? reminds me of my last good summer before that rough time started but being, you know, uh, lost. The whole album reminds me of the last time I felt hope for my first career and also the massive excitement of seeing the band in concert for the first time that tour.

-Moving To Mars kind of reminds me of moving on from the band a little that year. That sounds weird because it is one of my favorite Coldplay songs, but around 2011 I started getting heavy into Muse and traveling for them, and MX didn't speak to me as much as I'd hoped. But MtM did, as well as UATW, and both songs remind me of how I continued to love CP even when the shine wore off and I drifted, so to say. Hard to explain but still loving them through an era I wasn't really into sort of cemented that they'd always be there for me?

I'll stop there. There are a lot more but mostly older. A few newer ones for sure but harder to wax poetic for me about recent things.

- In My Place, Yellow, and A Rush of Blood to the Head reminds me of living in Cardiff and hearing it on the radio in the morning before going to school. I was like, 8 years old.

- Life in Technicolor, Viva la Vida, and Paradise remind me of playing playmobil in the living room of our house in France (ah, the times where we were careless and had no worries in the world...)

- Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for the Weekend and Magic remind me of being driven down to the bus stop as I went to high school. (I used to hate both AOAL and Magic, mainly because they came about 100 times a day on the radio and it was annoying. That was only a few months before I found out about Coldplay in general lol)

- Most of Mylo Xyloto and AHFOD reminds me of getting out of final A Level exams and being super relieved and happy, after two years of feeling depressed and such...

- Parachutes reminds me of being at Uni and listening to it on the way to campus

- Older Coldplay songs like the Blue Room, and I Am You're Baby's Daddy reminds me of waiting in line for my first concert as I assembled all the songs I could find in hopes of someone hearing the songs and talking with me (I never even played the songs though cause I'm an antisocial pessimist)

- EP songs and lesser known songs remind me of today because I'm going through them right now XD

• Like 2

A head full of dreams......this is a song who reminds me that dreams can be come out,like I see Coldplay at a concert and they give me the drumsticks from Will Champion,well that was a dream...but now anymore.Everybody got dreams.and sometimes a dream is true...and this song is also cheer me up and I have tears in my eyes when I listen to it.

Every teardrop is a waterfall...........well this is a hard one for me,I love that song very very much.....normally I don't wanna write this,but it's nothing to shame about it,so I wil share it with you all. Years ago I got a car accident en spend for 3 months in the hospital.My life was never been the same again.....I can't work anymore ,have problems to walk,live every day with pain ,and must take a lot of medicines. Im a invalid person for 66% but I still can do a few things,but not much. I cry almost every week ,why ??? well I can do almost nothing with my children and wife ,they are going alone away and im sitting at home,because I cant do it from the pain I have .I don't say this to get compassion no way .......this is my life now and must live with it. The music from Coldplay cheer me up and made me sometimes cry .Like fix you......I wish they could fix me,but it's not possible. Ans so I can go on and on.There are a lot of people who have a wors time in there life,they feeling down,depressed ,lost somebody...but I can have also tears from happines,that are the good ones,and everybody is crying sometimes ,i'm not ashamed of it,that is life.

But the important thing is that I still alive and try to make the best of it as long as I live.Time is go on.....and I 'm happy that I find this community,thank you averybody .

• Like 3

X&Y always makes me think of water and sunset because I bought the album just before a fishing trip with my dad and brothers. Literally heard the album for the first time right by the water while watching the sun go down.

• Like 3

Every time I hear Everglow I remember a person I really loved, a person who didn't love me back even when I thought he did. I met this person when AHFOD was released. Everglow seemed to express really well how I was feeling back then, so this song will always remind me of him.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys for not checking this post again until now, I don't know I kinda regretted making this thread after immediately afterwards, because I kinda made it out of one of those moments, where you're feeling really weird and just do something. I guess I was worried about you guys saying you don't really care for a thread like this either (like what would most likely happen if I brought this up with my friends...). But I don't know. Seeing your replies though are so cool, and I'm glad I decided to check this thread again :) Coldplayers really are the most awesome bunch of people :)

If I answer this thoroughly it's going to turn into a the greatest tl;dr of all-time haha. I have a lot of them and most of them are mundane, but music makes mundanity tolerable doesn't it?

-Parachutes stuff and related B sides remind me of studying in my cramped freshman dorm room with cheap headphones and big old CRT computer monitor on WinAmp. For You especially for some reason. Maybe because I sort of forgot about that song for a few years after that so it's really tied to that time.

-AROBTTH I won't go into everything because that's kinda big. It reminds me of a tough time in college when I started having chronic pain that no one could figure out (still haven't!). The Scientist and In My Place in particular, just have very specific memories of moments where those held me in one piece. Also driving around campus and just being alone with that CD and escaping. Also listening to the CD with my dad when he drove me home on breaks before I had the car.

-X&Y very much takes me back to the year I lived in State College, Pa., for my first job. Didn't have a single friend there but I was pretty happy and hopeful. Beautiful place in the mountains, just drove around listening to that album all the time. What If and A Message take me back a lot, I guess just because they were my favorites and I felt I related to them a lot at the time. Swallowed In The Sea reminds me of the long runs I used to go on up there. Not sure why, never listened to music while I ran but it was in my head a lot I guess. Album also reminds me of driving over the Tappan Zee bridge heading on an assignment that was massive and I was so terrified to drive anywhere near NYC (or any city). A local station was streaming it as it had just come out, first time I heard it and hearing the band's sound but with new songs was so comforting then.

-Violet Hill reminds me of installing this really cool new head unit in my car and being proud I did it myself, and getting my first iPod which went with said head unit. It also reminds me of this one night I was in a really bad place, and turned on VH1 at 3 a.m and the video came on and I just felt like it grabbed me and pulled me back to earth. Lost? reminds me of my last good summer before that rough time started but being, you know, uh, lost. The whole album reminds me of the last time I felt hope for my first career and also the massive excitement of seeing the band in concert for the first time that tour.

-Moving To Mars kind of reminds me of moving on from the band a little that year. That sounds weird because it is one of my favorite Coldplay songs, but around 2011 I started getting heavy into Muse and traveling for them, and MX didn't speak to me as much as I'd hoped. But MtM did, as well as UATW, and both songs remind me of how I continued to love CP even when the shine wore off and I drifted, so to say. Hard to explain but still loving them through an era I wasn't really into sort of cemented that they'd always be there for me?

I'll stop there. There are a lot more but mostly older. A few newer ones for sure but harder to wax poetic for me about recent things.

X&Y would have been a really amazing album to listen to whilst driving around the mountains

- In My Place, Yellow, and A Rush of Blood to the Head reminds me of living in Cardiff and hearing it on the radio in the morning before going to school. I was like, 8 years old.

- Life in Technicolor, Viva la Vida, and Paradise remind me of playing playmobil in the living room of our house in France (ah, the times where we were careless and had no worries in the world...)

- Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn for the Weekend and Magic remind me of being driven down to the bus stop as I went to high school. (I used to hate both AOAL and Magic, mainly because they came about 100 times a day on the radio and it was annoying. That was only a few months before I found out about Coldplay in general lol)

- Most of Mylo Xyloto and AHFOD reminds me of getting out of final A Level exams and being super relieved and happy, after two years of feeling depressed and such...

- Parachutes reminds me of being at Uni and listening to it on the way to campus

- Older Coldplay songs like the Blue Room, and I Am You're Baby's Daddy reminds me of waiting in line for my first concert as I assembled all the songs I could find in hopes of someone hearing the songs and talking with me (I never even played the songs though cause I'm an antisocial pessimist)

- EP songs and lesser known songs remind me of today because I'm going through them right now XD

I listen to parachutes going to uni too! It is actually an awesome album to listen to, going on the train to uni, after getting like 4 or 5 hours of sleep after finishing assignments the night before... Just really makes you feel like we're all fugitives, look at the way we live...

Talk reminds me of my period of being on antidepressants because I was suicidal. Especially those first seconds of the ambient synth and the feedback of the guitar Kraftwerk sample. It was such a dark and scary momemnt of my life. Since then I live with the fear of relapsing.

Kaleidoscope is a continuation of Talk. I remember being on a bus traveling while it was raining and I was crying feeling alone and like nobody understands me and hoping this song would put sense into my mind.

Midnight reminds me of those nights that we had power outages over here in the spring-summer and I would get on the top of the building and watch the silent sleeping city.

Don't Panic actually kinda traverses me into the video in a way that when I close my eyes I see myself like I'm being submerged to a flooded city or a drowned world with no happiness and I go deeper and deeper while my body is being dragged by streams of water.

Charlie Brown, It's like I'm watching my life in a backwards manner, from my death to my birth and in the end where the piano section plays I see a video that my father took of me when I was a kid and I'm playing and jumping around in slow motion while I fade into black.

• Like 6

Rainy Day reminds me of my childhood and asking my parents if I can go to my friend's house :P

Low reminds me of when I used to travel a lot to work and just thinking about life...

Also the accordion in the outro of Viva La Vida Instrumental always makes me teary. I feel like a child in Christmas being loved by my parents. :)

Just wanted to say that's very sweet :blush:

• Like 1