✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Will vocals appreciation thread with all of his major vocal perfomances

Magic_2000

I would very much like all the four of them sing together a capella (or with just one or two guitars) as they did on their trip to Barcelona with Brian Eno. Their voices go very well together, especially those of Chris and Will, but also Guy and Jonny can sing well. I am sure among their many unreleased songs there are some which they could sing.

I guess the closest he got to that is The Goldrush, but another try with something more though out would be amazing! I would also love if one we could, at least, have a full-blown Chris and Will duet and release it as a single so people would be more aware of Will's singing abilites! Maybe something in vein of UATW.

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Will has some great vocals on all of Ghost Stories...

Ink "ft Rihanna"

Sorry, what? Ink ft. Rihanna? Okay....

Also I remembered there was this version of Fix You out there, which is a true testament to Will's outrageous ability to sound exactly like the studio versions of things (and this is a stripped down performance so 0% chance that it's on a backing track). Also note how Jonny sings and lazy ol' Guy doesn't. :p

This performance is brilliant........ They DON'T NEED ANY FREAKING F***ING BACKING TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Sorry, what? Ink ft. Rihanna? Okay....

He probably meant in the sense that Will can hit such high notes that can compete to those of Rihanna, whence quotation marks. :D

This performance is brilliant........ They DON'T NEED ANY FREAKING F***ING BACKING TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're so right! It's a shame that at times they either them when their voices work so beautifully thogheter. :(

• Like 2

One of my favorite performances is Will singing "Death Will Never Conquer".

If you search YouTube, "Coldplay (Will gets mad at Chris) Death Will Never Conquer Roadie 42 Blog 55" it's pretty sweet.

If your interested in Will's full version I suggest you listen to:

Album: Coldplay: Left, Right, Left, Right, Left

Song: Death Will Never Conquer

• Like 1

One of my favorite performances is Will singing "Death Will Never Conquer".

If you search YouTube, "Coldplay (Will gets mad at Chris) Death Will Never Conquer Roadie 42 Blog 55" it's pretty sweet.

If your interested in Will's full version I suggest you listen to:

Album: Coldplay: Left, Right, Left, Right, Left

Song: Death Will Never Conquer

That song was recommended on the first post of the thread, although I had never seen that video so thanks for that! It's so great that part of the Viva tour sparked many more lead singing Will songs. :D

I'm listening to Every Teardrop and Will's backing vocals are still amazing after all these years.

"Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees, maybe I'm in the gap".

"oh this light + wa-a-alls" + "symphony + waterfall" which he does live only.

And the "ra-a-aise" the flag part are so beautiful!

• Like 2

I'm listening to Every Teardrop and Will's backing vocals are still amazing after all these years.

"Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees, maybe I'm in the gap".

"oh this light + wa-a-alls" + "symphony + waterfall" which he does live only.

And the "ra-a-aise" the flag part are so beautiful!

Those are also phenomenal! I think they add a lot to the song, to the point that I noticed that on Live in São Paulo they are almost non-existent for some reason. I also love that when he sings the "ra-a-aise" part he raises his hand up. It's a little detail that I appreciate. :D

Yesterday I heard Atlas which I hadn't done for a long time and notice that there's a great vocal line by Will around 2:55

• Like 2

Those are also phenomenal! I think they add a lot to the song, to the point that I noticed that on Live in São Paulo for some reason they are almost non-existent for some reason. I also love that when he sings the "ra-a-aise" part he raises his hand up. It's a little detail that I appreciate. :D

Yesterday I heard Atlas which I hadn't done for a long time and notice that there's a great vocal line by Will around 2:55

yes, I love that one.

They performed the song (which I think is a very underrated song!) at the Under 1 Roof performance in London in 2013 and someone filmed Will during his part!

And you can see Will was so in the moment that he forgot to hit the snare (3:20) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=h70N0RxRU70;t=190

• Like 2

yes, I love that one.

They performed the song (which I think is a very underrated song!) at the Under 1 Roof performance in London in 2013 and someone filmed Will during his part!

And you can see Will was so in the moment that he forgot to hit the snare (3:20) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=h70N0RxRU70;t=190

OMG I forgot that the song was perfomed live with the whole band! What an amazing perfomance, Jonny's guitar is on point and the audiance is suprisingly into the song! Will vocals are a bit hard to hear, but I always love how he really gets into it when he sings. When I first heard the song I didn't think much of it but on repeat listens it really grew on me. It's such a shame it was wasted on a movie soundtrack when it could have easily been album material. :confused: Even for live perfomances, since it has a great build up, it would work for more live perfomances.

• Like 2

OMG I forgot that the song was perfomed live with the whole band! What an amazing perfomance, Jonny's guitar is on point and the audiance is suprisingly into the song! Will vocals are a bit hard to hear, but I always love how he really gets into it when he sings. When I first heard the song I didn't think much of it but on repeat listens it really grew on me. It's such a shame it was wasted on a movie soundtrack when it could have easily been album material. :confused: Even for live perfomances, since it has a great build up, it would work for more live perfomances.

I think so too! But did you know that they performed it 2 more times? As far as I know they performed Atlas 3 times in total. One was in the Royce Hall (I dont know where that is) and another one was at the iTunes Festival in 2014! The full concert was uploaded by me 5 years ago on Dailymotion. Hell of a long time!

ENJOY

Coldplay: Atlas and Charlie Brown live @ Royce Hall 2014

Coldplay: Atlas live at the iTunes Festival 2014 in full HD

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x2208o1[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2208o1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's two interesting instances I found of Will doing backing vocals. They are small but cool nevertheless!

The first one is Adventure Of A Lifetime. At the end of the song when Chris "Woo hoo" the person who respond right after is in fact Will as visible on this stripped down version BBC Radio 1 (also Will is playing a cow bell which I think is interesting too haha):

This next is even more instersting in my opinion because I think it's different on studio version. We have seen in this thread that on Magic repeats the "No I Don't" when Chris sings it, however, on Paradise I believe the "Para-para" are sang by Chris. Again, during a live lounge we can hear Will singing them:

• Like 2

Here's two interesting instances I found of Will doing backing vocals. They are small but cool nevertheless!

The first one is Adventure Of A Lifetime. At the end of the song when Chris "Woo hoo" the person who respond right after is in fact Will as visible on this stripped down version BBC Radio 1 (also Will is playing a cow bell which I think is interesting too haha):

This next is even more instersting in my opinion because I think it's different on studio version. We have seen in this thread that on Magic repeats the "No I Don't" when Chris sings it, however, on Paradise I belive the "Para-para" are sang by Chris. Again, during a live lounge we can hear Will singing them:

Great finds! AOAL - Will actually is singing the woohoo's in the normal version live too. By the way I LOVE his backing vocals on "If we only have this life..." They just rarely put the camera on him. Love the cowbell...sounds pretty close to the spoons on the album version! Here's another nice stripped version [ugh why can't Chris always play piano on this song...] where you can hear Will sing the "ALIVE AGAIN!"

Will always sings the second para in all performances of the song! (There are some Chris or Chris+Jonny only performances where he only sings the first para).

• Like 1

Great finds! AOAL - Will actually is singing the woohoo's in the normal version live too. By the way I LOVE his backing vocals on "If we only have this life..." They just rarely put the camera on him. Love the cowbell...sounds pretty close to the spoons on the album version! Here's another nice stripped version [ugh why can't Chris always play piano on this song...] where you can hear Will sing the "ALIVE AGAIN!"

Will always sings the second para in all performances of the song! (There are some Chris or Chris+Jonny only performances where he only sings the first para).

I'm sure that Will is singing that part of Paradise in the studio version but I've just heard it again and honestly because Chris also sings it and his volume is louder makes it very hard to hear him in that bit, whence why I though that part was interesting. But that's the beauty of the stripped down version of their songs, you can hear small details better or ones you never even noticed!

I just remebered something that might be worth to investigate: since they released AHFOD in surround 5.1 maybe Will's vocals are easier to hear that way. Has anyone here heard that version of the album tell me if that's the case?

Okay guys I know I just posted yesterday but I think this is to good to not post here. So I found this performance of Amazing Day at the Belasco Theatre. Here Will chant along with Chris' is very audible and they are both really into it! And if that wasn't enough at 3:50 you can see Will snap and hit the drums like no other!

• Like 4

Okay guys I know I just posted yesterday but I think this is to good to not post here. So I found this performance of Amazing Day at the Belasco Theatre. Here Will chant along with Chris' is very audible and they are both really into it! And if that wasn't enough at 3:50 you can see Will snap and hit the drums like no other!

Yes, I love this performance and his drum beats in Amazing Day.

I like the way the beat gets stronger and how he does more drum fills near the end of the song!

• Like 1

Yes, I love this performance and his drum beats in Amazing Day.

I like the way the beat gets stronger and how he does more drum fills near the end of the song!

Agreed! At first it's very calm and even a bit reminiscent of his drumming style during Parachutes but then you get that great build up were he pays off big time.

• Like 1

I have come here again with some more note worthy vocal perfomances from Will!

The first one that I would like to talk about Major Minus. On this song during the "distorted" vocals you can clearly hear Will singing alongside Chris, which makes for a pretty cool effect. Now I think one of the reasons it took me so long to realise that Will is singing is that for some reason he never does his part during live perfomances.

The other one is Speed Of Sound. On the 2006 Toronto live recording Will's vocals during the chorus are very audible, even more than Chris at times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=jq3Gr7QljgE;t=100

• Like 2

I have come here again with some more note worthy vocal perfomances from Will!

The first one that I would like to talk about Major Minus. On this song during the "distorted" vocals you can clearly hear Will singing alongside Chris, which makes for a pretty cool effect. Now I think one of the reasons it took me so long to realise that Will is singing is that for some reason he never does his part during live perfomances.

The other one is Speed Of Sound. On the 2006 Toronto live recording Will's vocals during the chorus are very audible, even more than Chris at times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=jq3Gr7QljgE;t=100

Those are wonderful.

The 2nd I like most (Speed Of Sound). Probably one of my favourites of Will's backing vocals!

• 2 weeks later...

Great Thread !

I don't have internet fast enough for videos right now but i wanted to mention Will's backing vocals on the live version of Lost!

I remember hearing one where Chris didn't sing properly so they were very audible. He has a very cool, melodically slightly different line on "doesn't mean you've wooon....a bigger ooone" that goes up instead of down on the last word. I hope i can find it someday. It was NOT Lost@ in Chicago, that I know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...