✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Unreleased Talk Version

So, I recently discovered something quite interesting. Bear with me for a moment while I explain this amazing find.

So the story goes like this. I bought a Lot of 9 old hard drives from a pawn shop nearly an hour from my house and on one of these hard drives someone had stored all their music.

...But this is unlike i've ever seen before, like the most complete Discography's I have ever seen.  This person had meticulously collected music from various artists until the year of 2010. Some of the files date back to 1994. They also did some crazy research and mapped artists that have borrowed from each other and worked together. Its hard to explain.., its amazing though.

On this hard drive, I found this amazing unreleased version of Talk!!! In the original file there was a text file that talked about the famous what.cd site, now long destroyed.  Now the thing to know is that there are crappy mp3 versions of the song on YouTube and such, but this file is in FLAC...

See for yourself: https://mega.nz/folder/3ARkyYrB#p2jQjOGqEbiqiWusSMdt0g

EDIT DOWNLOAD LINK FOR GOOGLE DRIVE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L3JsVJM7kFgXOIWPzpIbpQP9MN-v8mIP?usp=sharing

Long story short, I wanna share this great find with you all. Ill be trying to restore the rest of the drives to see if any other albums can be brought out.

Let me know your honest opinions about this song and its quality. Perhaps i've been duped. Although I hope not, because it sounds amazing!!!!!

Edited by hgjjh
  • Like 3

Hi and welcome to the forum ! That's an amazing story indeed. Is there any other rare Coldplay stuff on this hard drive ? ?

This post caused me to get up and fire up my computer again even though I was already in the process of falling asleep, to download and listen to the file ? unfortunately, the download didn't work for me, not on the computer and not on the phone. ? I don't usually have a problem with Mega, also have the app etc. Importing into my own Mega acct didn't help either. File can also not be played in Mega, Any idea why ? Can you perhaps share it in some other way ?

Edited by I ran away
  • Like 1

This is the version of talk that starts with "Under the great north star, tryna work out where you are". I'm so sorry the download wasn't able to work for you guys. I just tried it and it seems to work for me. Do you know of a way that I can make it available for everyone on this site? An easy surefire way?

46 minutes ago, hgjjh said:

This is the version of talk that starts with "Under the great north star, tryna work out where you are". I'm so sorry the download wasn't able to work for you guys. I just tried it and it seems to work for me. Do you know of a way that I can make it available for everyone on this site? An easy surefire way?

I've just tried the MEGA download link and honestly, it worked for me. I was able to download it. However, maybe, you could upload the files to Google Drive and share a link with us if MEGA seemed not to work properly.

Edit: I've just seen that you resolved it. ? Great job!

Edited by M Marks The Spot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, M Marks The Spot said:

I've just tried the MEGA download link and honestly, it worked for me. I was able to download it. However, maybe, you could upload the files to Google Drive and share a link with us if MEGA seemed not to work properly.

Edit: I've just seen that you resolved it. ? Great job!

Haha, sorry for the confusion. I'm not used to uploading files for download usually. I'm usually the one downloading, but this is a special case!!? Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

Yeah this is the first version of Talk that was on the first version of the X&Y album. If you come across any other other versions from X&Y (highly unlikely), please share! Thanks for this though ?

Edited by coldplaykb
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, coldplaykb said:

Yeah this is the first version of Talk that was on the first version of the X&Y album. If you come across any other other versions from X&Y (highly unlikely), please share! Thanks for this though ?

Oh wow!!! I've never come across it before this, is it a certain tour release version? I'm trying to build the most complete high quality discography that I can.

18 hours ago, hgjjh said:

Oh wow!!! I've never come across it before this, is it a certain tour release version? I'm trying to build the most complete high quality discography that I can.

I'm actually not sure on the entire story. This was actually the first version I found, so when I listened to all of X&Y for the first time, I was confused by the album version of talk haha.  All I know is that they scrapped the entire first version of the X&Y album and started fresh at one point. I believe this version of Talk was on that version of the album.

Edited by coldplaykb
  • Like 1

I hate to be "that guy" here, but that's not a genuine FLAC copy of this outstanding demo (my all time favorite). The spectrograms below show us that someone just re-encoded the existing MP3 @ 160kbps version we already have and converted it to FLAC 48KHz, 24 bit audio. Those specs alone made me doubt about this file, it's almost imposible to find a demo in such high quality. I guess we'll have to stick to the 160kbps version... Cool story though!!!

Here you can see the regular MP3 vs this FLAC file. They're the same:

EDIT: I'm also pissed off... This has the ending of the regular Talk from the album. So, saying this is from 2004 is just BS hahaha! It's not just a re-encoded version but also an adulterated one...

Coldplay_Talk_Early_Version.mp3.png

01 - Talk (Unreleased Original Version).flac.png

Edited by MarckozZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarckozZ said:

EDIT: I'm also pissed off... This has the ending of the regular Talk from the album. So, saying this is from 2004 is just BS hahaha! It's not just a re-encoded version but also an adulterated one...

I didn't even notice that ?

That's hilarious.

Edited by coldplaykb
  • Haha 1

On 5/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, MarckozZ said:

This has the ending of the regular Talk from the album. So, saying this is from 2004 is just BS hahaha!

Agree with you on everything but this part. The Talk version on X&Y is actually one of the earlier ones recorded. The band have talked about how they recorded that song and didn't feel it was good enough so they made many different versions which they weren't happy with either and at some point they chose to go back to the early version. So it could well have been written in 2004.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I ran away said:

Agree with you on everything but this part. The Talk version on X&Y is actually one of the earlier ones recorded. The band have talked about how they recorded that song and didn't feel it was good enough so they made many different versions which they weren't happy with either and at some point they chose to go back to the early version. So it could well have been written in 2004.

Yeah, I know they re-recorded several versions of this gorgeous track, but I was referring to this particular edited audio file of Talk, since you can tell the ending was swapped with the one from the album. I wasn't talking about the band's endless attempts to make the song sound perfect back in 2004-2005, I was talking about how this audio file might have been edited just a couple days ago, not in 2004 as the title of the folder suggests... 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 9:35 AM, MarckozZ said:

I hate to be "that guy" here, but that's not a genuine FLAC copy of this outstanding demo (my all time favorite). The spectrograms below show us that someone just re-encoded the existing MP3 @ 160kbps version we already have and converted it to FLAC 48KHz, 24 bit audio. Those specs alone made me doubt about this file, it's almost imposible to find a demo in such high quality. I guess we'll have to stick to the 160kbps version... Cool story though!!!

Here you can see the regular MP3 vs this FLAC file. They're the same:

Coldplay_Talk_Early_Version.mp3.png

01 - Talk (Unreleased Original Version).flac.png

Do you have it in a better quality???

Edited by Jack_Met

• 2 years later...

I remember reading Chris saying they had this previous version of "Talk", the people in their company listened to it and thought it was great, so they got worried and changed it to the one that ended in the album. I don´t know if it was Chris trying to be funny or it´s a real story, but I´ve always thought the demo is better than the final one.