✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bad Language on Everyday Life

Hello Everyone! 

I have been a huge Coldplay fan for many years. I have loved every album from Parachutes to A head full of dreams. I was very disappointed and upset that on Everyday Life they included swearing in their lyrics for the first time. ( I am also disappointed with Music of the Spheres for having swearing in the lyrics too!)

Trouble in Town, Arabesque  and Guns particularly upsets me. 

Does anyone else find it disappointing that Coldplay have started to use swearing in their songs?

I recently had the opportunity to talk to Chris Martin via Zoom and he was nice enough to send me a care package which included a signed Guitar which I love and cherish.

I am mad about Coldplay using bad language in these songs.😠

• Haha 2

Extremely annoying, yeah, listen I TOTALLY understand if you no longer want the guitar and I'm happy to help you there and take it off you so it doesn't remind you of the swearwords

...for real, though: I'm generally very averse myself to gratuitous swearing or any kind of vulgarity in media, so I understand where you're coming from. But in the case of Everyday Life, I can tolerate it without problems because the swearing is there for a reason. And it is so effective precisely because Coldplay are not the type of band who throw in ten f-words in each song in general. In Trouble in Town, it's a real audio recording of a police officer harassing a person of color - that's their lived reality, so I'd say we can be happy we only have to hear it in a song and not while in such a situation. In Arabesque and Guns, it's an expression of outrage at the state the world is in. Them only using swearwords in these songs on very serious topics is a statement in itself. I do feel in POTP it's not as effective in its placement within the lyrics as on the EL songs though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahahaha!

Seriously though, I get your point. Swearing has become so gratuitous in mainstream pop music since the last decade that it has lost all its effectiveness. So the fact that Coldplay had avoided that trend was positive.

But I agree with I Ran Away concerning EL. Basically, as you might already know, Chris used to write lyrics with swear words in the past as well, it was Will who usually asked him to "clean" them. However, EL is an album that deals with complex issues of our society such as racism, police brutality and gun control in the US, so it makes sense that in such a context an explicit language may be more effective in delivering Coldplay's frustration towards these issues.

I agree that POTP is a different case and the use of swearing on that song is completely unnecessary and could have been easily avoided. Particularly given that, even if the lyrics deal with people's rights, the situation described seems more comical than serious as portrayed in that song. That's why I prefer the original demo The Man Who Swears, it seemed more consistent as a comical-philosophical dance-hall song than the heavy rock POTP.

• Like 1