✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Post piccies of the sexy Mr Berryman..

Nick4Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys! I have been a Coldplay fan since Yellow first came out, have definitely enjoyed fellow Coldplayers interesting/mind blowing/eye popping conversations but have mainly been a silent

reader for years due to work, study and family commitment. Today is my 21st birthday and I thought I'd mark the milestone by posting on Coldplaying.com :D

Lately I have been listening to Coldplay's old works and comparing them to recent ones.. I have noticed that in quite a few songs I can't hear Guy's bass, or even when I can, it is very subtle and (IMO) not stand out. Sometimes I feel like Chris does not appreciate Guy enough? Care to share some of your thoughts?

I miss Guy's bass in Sparks, Yellow, Shiver, GPASUYF, The Scientist, For You, White Shadows.. Bass lines that leave me in tears :gorgeous:I'm REALLY hoping that in LP7 he will have some nice and memorable bass lines!:cool:

first of all, happy bday :vuvuzela:

I have noticed that in quite a few songs I can't hear Guy's bass, or even when I can, it is very subtle and (IMO) not stand out. I feel a bit frustrated/left out as the majority of Coldplayers in Twitter does not seem to enjoy these 'technical' stuff.. Sometimes I feel like Chris does not appreciate Guy enough? Care to share some of your thoughts?

IMO, Guy is just shy and doesn't want to play his parts loudly (example: funky/slap bass), but that's changing. The bass lines in Magic and All Your Friends are the foundation and everything else is built around it.

BTW, the 2 times I watched CP live, I wanted to jump on the stage and turn up the volume of his bass :p

Hey Guys! I have been a Coldplay fan since Yellow first came out, have definitely enjoyed fellow Coldplayers interesting/mind blowing/eye popping conversations but have mainly been a silent

reader for years due to work, study and family commitment. Today is my 21st birthday and I thought I'd mark the milestone by posting my very first post in Coldplaying.com :D

Lately I have been listening to Coldplay's old works and comparing them to recent ones.. I have noticed that in quite a few songs I can't hear Guy's bass, or even when I can, it is very subtle and (IMO) not stand out. I feel a bit frustrated/left out as the majority of Coldplayers in Twitter does not seem to enjoy these 'technical' stuff.. Sometimes I feel like Chris does not appreciate Guy enough? Care to share some of your thoughts?

I miss Guy's bass in Sparks, Yellow, Shiver, GPASUYF, The Scientist, For You, White Shadows.. Bass lines that leave me in tears :gorgeous:I'm REALLY hoping that in LP7 he will have some nice and memorable bass lines!:cool:

As for bass sound, I suspect that has more to do with how you're listening to the music than anything. Listen through (good) headphones, the bass is there, but bass frequencies are one of the easiest things to drop out of a speaker mix because they're low. Of the 6 albums so far, the only one I think his bass tracks tend to be somewhat buried in the mix on is MX. A lot of the ghost stories tracks feature some really standout bass parts IMHO.

As for his relationship with Chris (and the others), I think they're fine. Chris interacts a lot with him when they perform live and playfully teases and jokes with him a lot. It's also worth noting that several of the first times Chris was photographed since his divorce became public knowledge, he was hanging out with Guy. Guy's just by his own admission shyer and moodier than the others, which means he's going to be in the background a bit.

first of all, happy bday :vuvuzela:

IMO, Guy is just shy and doesn't want to play his parts loudly (example: funky/slap bass), but that's changing. The bass lines in Magic and All Your Friends are the foundation and everything else is built around it.

BTW, the 2 times I watched CP live, I wanted to jump on the stage and turn up the volume of his bass :p

Really? Really, when I've seen them live (every tour from AROBTTH on except the GS promo tour they just did) his bass sound seems pretty crushing.

As for bass sound, I suspect that has more to do with how you're listening to the music than anything. Listen through (good) headphones, the bass is there, but bass frequencies are one of the easiest things to drop out of a speaker mix because they're low. Of the 6 albums so far, the only one I think his bass tracks tend to be somewhat buried in the mix on is MX. A lot of the ghost stories tracks feature some really standout bass parts IMHO.

As for his relationship with Chris (and the others), I think they're fine. Chris interacts a lot with him when they perform live and playfully teases and jokes with him a lot. It's also worth noting that several of the first times Chris was photographed since his divorce became public knowledge, he was hanging out with Guy. Guy's just by his own admission shyer and moodier than the others, which means he's going to be in the background a bit.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's a lot clearer now. I'll try to use a good headphone and see if I can hear the difference! It's just a lot of people out there have really strong opinion about Coldplay being less than a good band due to lack of bass! I was trying to convince them otherwise. I haven't had the chance to watch them live due to geographical reasons.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's a lot clearer now. I'll try to use a good headphone and see if I can hear the difference! It's just a lot of people out there have really strong opinion about Coldplay being less than a good band due to lack of bass! I was trying to convince them otherwise. I haven't had the chance to watch them live due to geographical reasons.

To be fair, I wouldn't characterize Guy's playing as particularly technically complex. He mostly sticks to root chords and plays in the pocket. He's a lot like Adam Clayton in U2, a player in a big band who is often derided as a player of simple parts who nonetheless is a huge part of his band's overall sound.

I also thing Guy can play more complicated stuff than Coldplay music generally calls for. They're a pop band, they don't really need a bunch of fancy playing.

Really? Really, when I've seen them live (every tour from AROBTTH on except the GS promo tour they just did) his bass sound seems pretty crushing.

It's been almost 3 years since I saw them, so my memory might be failing, but it all depends on the venue and your position relative to the PAs. In my case, both (VLV tour and MX Festivals tour ) were huge open spaces and I was about 20m to 50m from the stage and the bass sound were a little bit low (or guitars too high).

It's been almost 3 years since I saw them, so my memory might be failing, but it all depends on the venue and your position relative to the PAs. In my case, both (VLV tour and MX Festivals tour ) were huge open spaces and I was about 20m to 50m from the stage and the bass sound were a little bit low (or guitars too high).

Open air gigs always have horrible sound IMHO.