✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official **KEANE** thread

LifeIs4Living

Holy crap, it's a "Rocky" tribute. Hell, K'Naan even mentions Rocky in the song. And that's not a compliment.

I did like "Clear Skies", but these two K'Naan songs are absolute drivel. Thankfully, that's the last of them. I actually hope they don't mess with "My Shadow" too much, because it's a pretty good song as it is.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad this stuff is going on an EP instead of an LP. The bad stuff is a little more forgivable that way, while it's a good way to get some fan reception on what experimental material works and what doesn't.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Keane are going the right way to losing all credibility whatsoever. First stop for a minute and now this rocky song. What the hell was Tim thinking? Oh well, at least I can look forward to Jesse Quin's album.

Oh, and at the Keane website there seems to be alot of people criticising those who don't like this new stuff for being 'anti-change'. I'll just say that this doesn't seem like creative progression in the vein of Perfect Symmetry. More like Keane trying to capatilise on the recognition PS recieved from the Hip-Hop world.

No, you're not. I love "Stop For A Minute", and I can't wait to see it performed live.:cool:

When "Spiralling" first came out, I didn't like it (but have since grown to love it as a live track), whereas with "Stop For A Minute", I liked it instantly.

It's the kind of song you just can't help yourself singing at the top of your voice to.;)

I've already ordered the EP too.

:D

Am I the only one here who's not bothered by the new stuff? I finally got around to listening to it. I have "Stop for a Minute" running through my earbuds now, and I'm rather enjoying it.

• 4 weeks later...

Keane has sprung a leak...*hint hint* :P

My mini-review of Night Train upon a few listens: (WARNING: Whiny and spoiler-ish.)

House Lights

This is just a serene yet dark minute-long opener that sets up the EP. No vocals. It's nothing special but sets things up nicely.

Back In Time

This song feels like a continuation of the material on Perfect Symmetry, reminding me especially of "Again and Again". And it would be a pretty good song if it weren't for the fact that it's so bloody repetitive. Its chorus is particularly irritating as the same line loops over and over again.

Stop for a Minute

I expressed my dislike for this song before and even called it "Keane's worst song ever", but I revoke that last statement, since there happens to be a song on this EP I like even less. Still, this song hasn't grown on me like some say it should. K'Naan is not a bad singer but his rapping feels so very out-of-place. Shameless attempt at a "hit" single.

Clear Skies

I said I liked this song when it was first played, and it's basically the one area on this EP where Keane's experimentation hits its mark. I'm not sure how to describe its "South American" flavor accurately, but most of you have heard this one already anyway.

Ishin Denshin (You've Got to Help Yourself)

Quite possibly the weirdest Keane song ever. Sounds like Japanese pop, if that makes any sense at all. I don't know if I like it, but I do prefer Tigarah's guest vocals to the K'Naan songs.

Your Love

This song got a lot of hype thanks to Tim Rice-Oxley on lead vocals, and for the most part, it delivers. He's a good yet delicate singer, and out of all the songs on this EP, this is most similar to Keane's earliest work thanks to its simplicity.

Looking Back

This is the song I was talking about that is probably my least favorite Keane song ever. A Rocky tribute is not only a silly idea, but it doesn't translate well to Keane's style. It sounds cheesy and K'Naan is worse here than on "Stop for a Minute". I just absolutely hate this one. Sorry.

My Shadow

Most of us heard this two years ago, as it's the same song that didn't quite make the final cut for Perfect Symmetry. I have no idea why it didn't make it, as it's better than half the songs on that album, but it ends the EP quite nicely nonetheless.

Overall, a disappointing EP, but not a total wreck. As I have said, I'm glad they're doing this experimental fluff on an EP instead of an LP so they can gauge what works and what doesn't. Top songs are Clear Skies, Your Love, and My Shadow. Everything else is ultimately forgettable.

First listen- Average! I really like Ishin Denshin!

Second Listen- LOVING BACK IN TIME! And Ishin Denshin!

Going for a third listen. I already love Clear Skies and Stop For A Minute! Looking Back is alright...

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the new album. :D I've had it on repeat all day.

It's even better if you add in the two songs recorded in 2008, Staring At The Ceiling and Time To Go. This makes it a full length album, and honestly, those two tracks are as strong as the new material (and My Shadow was old, anyways.)

I have them in this order:

1. House Lights

2. Back In Time

3. Stop For A Minute

4. Clear Skies

5. Ishin Denshin (You've Got To Help Yourself)

6. Your Love

7. Looking Back

8. Staring At The Ceiling

9. Time To Go

10.My Shadow

Try it! It really makes the album much more enjoyable (I've burned a copy in this order, too.)

i like stop for a minute, but i dont know why, its just quite catchy and i see the video every morning.

i havent bought a Keane cd since i bought hopes and fears. i really liked that one but for some reason i never got around to buying other albums of theirs even though i have heard a couple of their other songs.

so what album do you guys recommend me to buy next? i was thinking of buying night train just cuz its their newest thing right now.

i like stop for a minute, but i dont know why, its just quite catchy and i see the video every morning.

i havent bought a Keane cd since i bought hopes and fears. i really liked that one but for some reason i never got around to buying other albums of theirs even though i have heard a couple of their other songs.

so what album do you guys recommend me to buy next? i was thinking of buying night train just cuz its their newest thing right now.

Don't get Night Train, get either of the other albums first. I'd recommend Under the Iron Sea.

Just listened to Night Train for the first time and was really disappointed. This is the worst album/ep I've heard by a band I like in a long time. Clear Skies is good, but the rest is just cheesy/uninteresting pop music (IMO). Ishin Denshin gets my vote for worst song of the year. Glad some of you like, but I won't be wasting my time listening to this ever again (apart from Clear Skies). Now off to listen to some H&F.

Why???

Ishin Denshin is AWESOME!!! it's amazing , it's got everything...I mean you have to be aware that it is a cover, it is very similar to the original , but it is great after all:D

By the way I was thinking about it and it very weird... 'cuz most of the fans don't like the new album , some of them only some songs but the media,specially the "non main stream" media are liking it very much, so: is this how it is suppossed to be? Are they going to loose fans and then be recognized as an amazing band properly by everyone????

This is getting weirder every day:P

Don't get Night Train, get either of the other albums first. I'd recommend Under the Iron Sea.

Just listened to Night Train for the first time and was really disappointed. This is the worst album/ep I've heard by a band I like in a long time. Clear Skies is good, but the rest is just cheesy/uninteresting pop music (IMO). Ishin Denshin gets my vote for worst song of the year. Glad some of you like, but I won't be wasting my time listening to this ever again (apart from Clear Skies). Now off to listen to some H&F.

cool thanks:D

support for these keane dates is fran healy:

Tue 20 Jul 10 Fox Theatre (CA)

Wed 21 Jul 10 Greek Theatre (CA)

Fri 23 Jul 10 House of Blues Las Vegas

Sun 25 Jul 10 Warehouse Live HOUSTON

Mon 26 Jul 10 House of Blues (Dallas)

Wed 28 Jul 10 Chicago Theatre

Fri 30 Jul 10 Molson Amphitheatre TORONTO

Tue 3 Aug 10 Bank of America Pavilion Boston

Thu 5 Aug 10 Merriweather Post Pavilion COLUMBIA MD

Fri 6 Aug 10 Williamsburg Waterfront Brooklyn

Sat 7 Aug 10 Mann Music Center Philly

Tue 10 Aug 10 Riverside Theatre Milwaukee

Wed 11 Aug 10 First Avenue Minni

http://www.franhealy.com | http://www.travisonline.com

i like stop for a minute, but i dont know why, its just quite catchy

cant stand ishin denshin. drives me mental.

same here

support for these keane dates is fran healy:

Tue 20 Jul 10 Fox Theatre (CA)

Wed 21 Jul 10 Greek Theatre (CA)

Fri 23 Jul 10 House of Blues Las Vegas

Sun 25 Jul 10 Warehouse Live HOUSTON

Mon 26 Jul 10 House of Blues (Dallas)

Wed 28 Jul 10 Chicago Theatre

Fri 30 Jul 10 Molson Amphitheatre TORONTO

Tue 3 Aug 10 Bank of America Pavilion Boston

Thu 5 Aug 10 Merriweather Post Pavilion COLUMBIA MD

Fri 6 Aug 10 Williamsburg Waterfront Brooklyn

Sat 7 Aug 10 Mann Music Center Philly

Tue 10 Aug 10 Riverside Theatre Milwaukee

Wed 11 Aug 10 First Avenue Minni

www.franhealy.com | www.travisonline.com

great :D

I just got the Night Train EP in the mail yesterday.

Overall its pretty mixed. Half good half bad.

Actually, half amazing. Tracks 2,3,4 are so good and the rest is b-side material.

Can't get the Stop For A minute chorus out of my head!!!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9853

Hey all, I searched several pages (10) and put a search in for it but I couldn't find a topic about Keane! Who else loves Keane on this forum? They are my second favourite band, just after Coldplay and I'm sure they'd be equal if it wasn't Coldplay who got me into music.

My favourite song by Keane is A Bad Dream. I just love it to bits. <3 I also love Everybody's Changing and Bedshaped.