✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Beatles

lucyinthesky

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I think it was best that they split up, never to get back together (well except Free as a Bird and Real Love... if you count those)... and that's coming from a HUGE Beatles fan :P

Yes it'd be great to have heard more music by them, but I personally really like their solo careers, there were a lot of really great albums (Ram, Walls and Bridges, Mind Games, Venus & Mars, All Things Must Pass, McCartney, Plastic Ono Band) that I think if they didn't split up we wouldn't have gotten them.

Also at that point in time they were so sick and tired of each other that they had to do it... to be honest I think one of things they should've done that they never did was take a haitus for a year or to and have time apart.

Most importantly though I think it was good they ended when they did because they ended on a tremendous high note. I mean Abbey Road is my favorite album of all time and it's just perfect. I think I'd much rather have a band end strong then keep releasing albums that subsequently become mediocre or not exciting.

Honestly I think it was best that they split up, never to get back together (well except Free as a Bird and Real Love... if you count those)... and that's coming from a HUGE Beatles fan :P

Yes it'd be great to have heard more music by them, but I personally really like their solo careers, there were a lot of really great albums (Ram, Walls and Bridges, Mind Games, Venus & Mars, All Things Must Pass, McCartney, Plastic Ono Band) that I think if they didn't split up we wouldn't have gotten them.

Also at that point in time they were so sick and tired of each other that they had to do it... to be honest I think one of things they should've done that they never did was take a haitus for a year or to and have time apart.

Most importantly though I think it was good they ended when they did because they ended on a tremendous high note. I mean Abbey Road is my favorite album of all time and it's just perfect. I think I'd much rather have a band end strong then keep releasing albums that subsequently become mediocre or not exciting.

I have never really followed the Beatles' solo careers, so I can't make a statement regarding their quality of work. I do, however, wish they would have taken a hiatus to see if they could, once again, find themselves on common ground.

Bands today get sick of each, and they only put an album out every 4 years or so. The Beatles were putting out more than an album a year. The fact that Abbey Road is such a solid final album (depending on how you view Let it Be), and written within a tumultuous and contentious studio environment, simply tells me that there was plenty left in the tank. From that standpoint, I am sad that it never materialized.

I have never really followed the Beatles' solo careers, so I can't make a statement regarding their quality of work. I do, however, wish they would have taken a hiatus to see if they could, once again, find themselves on common ground.

Bands today get sick of each, and they only put an album out every 4 years or so. The Beatles were putting out more than an album a year. The fact that Abbey Road is such a solid final album (depending on how you view Let it Be), and written within a tumultuous and contentious studio environment, simply tells me that there was plenty left in the tank. From that standpoint, I am sad that it never materialized.

you should check out their solo careers... there are some really great albums (i mentioned in my post above).

that is one thing that amazes me to this day about the beatles. bands today often take 2-3 years on average to release an album, but the beatles would release 1-2 albums per year... it's unbelievable.

I see what you mean that they had more to work with, but I personally feel that Abbey Road is such a bittersweet to end their career... like it's weird but whenever I hear the reprise of "you never give me your money" in "carry that weight", the melody sounds like it's getting close to the end of something... it's sad yet triumphant at the same time... well that's at least how i feel.

also on a side note i consider Abbey Road to be their last (though Let it Be was released last)

Yeah, I've been going through a Beatles phase recently. I was listening to some albums preparing to go to the Paul McCartney show at the Hollywood Bowl. I ended up flaking (it was on a Tues. and Weds. during a very busy week at work), but it has given me an opportunity to explore their catalogue again. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys, as they are/were my Mom's favorite bands. But everytime I go through one of these phases, I find myself with a deeper appreciation than I previously had.

As a bonus, I've been addicted to those remastered CDs. I always hesitate (and did in this case) in buying remasters because, often, I am unable to tell the difference between the remaster and the original (I'm talking to you, U2). Anyhow, that hasn't been the case with the Beatles remasters. They are brilliant and have 10X the audio quality of the originals.

that's awesome! can't really think of anything you can just do at home but go to a costume shop or something... you better have some awesome glasses. and post pictures.

Costume shops located in Tromsø: 0 :( though there are a few shops that could carry something, like a fake beard or glasses. I still haven't found a pair of glasses so I'm gonna try making a pair :confused:

thats awesome! if you can't find a beard you could always go as White Album/Let it Be era lennon w/ the long hair and glasses.

^That's what I was planning to, but "Ringo" wants to go as Abbey Road :lol: I think I'll take your advice with beard and glasses, that's my fav. era Lennon anyway :wacky:

I had a hard time deciding between Revolver, Help!, the white album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Abbey Road.

but it had to be Revolver. I love the attitude put into everything in that album. and the cover is my favourite cover ever.

oh you're also definitely going to make your eyebrows very large somehow! how are you going to make the glasses?? :disguise:

and are you going to sing and play awesome guitar for everyone?:guitarist:

I, uhm, don't play the guitar well :shame: but I could probably do Yellow Submarine if there's a guitar there :P My friend who's going as Paul plays guitar.

I'm sort of at a dead end, I actually went to a an optician today and specifically asked if they had any glasses that resembled those of John (which they did for a monsotrous price) so I'm going to try to make a pair out of steel wire. Living in Norway is hard :(

I'm not sure if I could stand a beard or not, but I'll have some song lyrics in my pockets (including Imagine :P) and a pack of fake cigarettes.