✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
I've heard it twice to day - and it becomes better and better with each listening. :dance:

Definitely gets better with each listen!

Guest howyousawtheworld
Favorite song most definitely October.

I used to be obsessed with U2, but they have kinda been slacking in recent years. I mean, their last 3 albums sound basically the same. A close second to October would have to be Walk On.

October is a gem. I wish U2 would play it live again then followed by New Year's Day like in the 80s.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Biffy Clyro frontman Simon Neil has said that Muse are a better stadium band than U2 these days! I am shocked to be honest! Muse are good but in reality half their songs sound the same (to me), They do not have the diversity in song to compete with U2. Muse maximise their full potential live but even at that it's nowhere compared to even an average U2!

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/52990

p.s - must be notified that Biffy Clyro supported Muse at Wembley last week.

i havent seen U2 live so im not completely qualified to comment on this. but i would say the reputations of both bands' live shows have suffered a little due to lackluster releases last year. but i have seen muse live, in a stadium setting this year and the poor quality of their new album really hurt the quality of the show. because of U2's massive back catalogue i just dont see the their new music making much a difference.

but you take both band's at their respective peaks and theyre very much comparable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatIg7Pokyk]YouTube - U2 - Running To Stand Still & Where The Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Live From Sydney)[/ame]

VS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q]YouTube - Knights Of Cydonia: Live At Wembley Stadium 2007[/ame]

mind you U2 have been genuine stadium trotters for over 20yrs now. muse less than 5yrs and seem to be on the decline already.

Guest howyousawtheworld

The problem with Muse is that you're going to get people who don't like a singe song of theirs. That's rarely the case for U2. I'd certainly agree with you that Muse's latest stuff doesn't stand up that well. U2's last album didn't stand up too well I thought live because the fans weren't as into them as say the songs from How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or All That You Can't Leave Behind. But still even with the songs from NLOTH that weren't great live, U2 somehow still were able to pull of the most miraculous of shows when they promoted those songs last year during the 360 tour. They are still of a more heavenly level than Muse live and I don't really know where Simon Neil is coming from.

Simon Neil most probably feels indebted to Muse for allowing his band to support them at wembley stadium. so his judgment is a little clouded. nevertheless it will be interesting to see where Muse are in 15yrs time and if their status is anything like U2's.

i still think U2 are the last of the true megabands (beatles, stones, led zep, floyd and queen) i just dont see coldplay and muse ever reaching those levels.

Simon Neil most probably feels indebted to Muse for allowing his band to support them at wembley stadium. so his judgment is a little clouded. nevertheless it will be interesting to see where Muse are in 15yrs time and if their status is anything like U2's.

it may also be that Simon personally is more a fan of Muse than U2. i'm not much of a Muse fan myself, though i do like a couple of their songs, but from the ones that i do like i'd say Muse has a harder/edgier sound than U2 in general?

i still think U2 are the last of the true megabands (beatles, stones, led zep, floyd and queen) i just dont see coldplay and muse ever reaching those levels.

+1 to that too!

though i'm guessing those of us who feel that way are generally of an older age group? late 20s or 30s & upwards? grew up in or lived through the 80s?

i know a few teens who think U2 are overrated and that they are old stuff. these are the ones who'd insist that a more recent band like Coldplay or Muse are much better than U2. it saddens me as a U2 fan that they'd think U2 are overrated old geezers, but then that's their own opinion as a non-U2 fan. so fair enough, imo.

anyway, what i'm trying to say is that it may have to do with which musical era we grow up in that shapes how we see a band that's been active & successful as long as U2 has. though, of course, there are exceptions to this theory of mine...like the youngsters who love The Beatles even though they're born way after the band called it quits.

wouldnt be surprised to see this.

U2 could be set to reissue their 1991 album 'Achtung Baby'.

According to singer-songwriter John Vanderslice, the Irish group's seventh studio effort was being remastered in the next room to his in a Los Angeles studio.

"They're remastering 'Achtung Baby' in next room," he said on his Twitter page - Twittter.com/JohnVanderslice, before later asking his followers. "Any suggestions for witty opening salvos to drop on U2 crew when I barge in on 'Achtung Baby' remastering session?"

Confirmation on the reissue has yet to be announced, but a 2011 remastered edition of the LP would coincide with the 20th anniversary of it's release in November 1991.

Guest howyousawtheworld
wouldnt be surprised to see this.

Fully expecting one following last years Unforgettable Fire and the 20th anniversatry Joshua Tree issue. Can't wait for it. The Unforgettable Fire 20th anniversary was amazing following it's remastering. Achtung Baby could be even better!

Who knows for sure, but I think you might be right.

Today, U2 are still a great live band, however, I would suggest that younger fans go back and watch clips of early U2. Their ambition is unmatched.

Bono in Paris (Stade de France concert)

Their concert is tonight in Paris. i'm going to see them by a few hours. Yesterday, Bono was meeting Sarkozy and a crowd were waiting for him to arrive. I was there. I saw Bono opening his window. I shouted "see you tomorrow" together with a guy. Bono smiled at us and waived his hand to us. I took a first picture when he arrived, then a second one when he left. Just before leaving, he got out of the car a couple of minutes. The cops prevented us of approching him but only a few people succeeded in it and got an autograph. I didn't, to my dismay.

2lw41eq.jpg

2dgruxy.jpg

Enjoy !