✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Misheard lyrics....

atarisboy86

A big part of the VH lyrics thread fits in here :D.

I remember the first times I heard Amsterdam.

When Chris sings "Stuck on the end, of this ball and chain", I thought he sang "Stuck on the edge, with a fistful of change".

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^yeah, when Chris messes up and says "Ah, fuck! I messed up."

Anyway, when I first listened to Spies on Parachutes, when he says, "They're all spies" I thought he said "They're Old Spice" (the deodorant) The funny thing is, I had never even heard of "Ode to Deodorant".

Also, these are really weird. I heard things that weren't even words when I first heard Trouble, cuz I wasn't used to Chris's British accent.

"A Spider web is tangled up with me" I heard "A spider web as time go'd up with me"

"A spider web and it's me in the middle" I heard "A spider web meets me in the middle"

Oh and in Low, when he sings "You see the world in black and white, not painted right" I thought he said "you see the world in balck and white, no pain, too bright"

Weird huh?

The British accent kept tripping me up, too. I remember when my friend told me about Coldplay and recommended I hear their music, so I downloaded the CD off some FTP somewhere (I was naughty)... and I sat and listened to Rush of Blood to the Head all the way through. I never once suspected it was a British band. I just thought it was some Americans who couldn't talk very well (a low IQ perhaps), but who could write amazing music.

THAT's hilarious. I've gotten used to Chris's mumbled singing now, but in the beginning I had a hard time figuring things out. Never stopped me from singing along at the top of my lungs, though!

First time I saw them in concert, in 2003, was the first time I realized how wrong I was singing most of the songs LOL

a whisper, 1.36, white shadows...i constantly mess up those lyrics. when i actually had a look at the white shadows ones, i was pretty surprised. i thought "blink and miss them" was "blink and glisten," and in low i thought it was "you see the world in black and white/not painted right" rather than "no pain too bright."

and i basically have no idea what the 1.36 lyrics are. when i looked them up once and saw the line "i'm nothing but normal" in them, i couldn't believe that was a coldplay lyric i was unaware of.

I almost always hear "Swimming in a sea of feces" (Swim out on a sea of faces) in White Shadows.. :dead: :worried2:

LOL! Notice how this was the last post in this thread for 2 and a half years!! Guess it scared people away!:lol:

Nice work, Tania!!:D:D:D

• 3 months later...

I was watching Violet Hill music video on VH1 and the captions were on. Why does it say "And the fox became God"? That's not even close to what he says

Also during that part at the end of the second verse, (most people think it says "My love's a poem...that unfolds") it said "My nerves are poles, that unfroze..."

That actually sounds pretty close. Have Coldplay confirmed these lines yet?

I was reading another thread that had 'Shoot an apple off my head' being heard as 'Shouldn't I pull off again' or something of that sort......which is what I thought too at first.....

For a while I thought that lyric was "Shouldn't I pull off my head."

Needless to say, I was pretty relieved/embarassed when I found out what it really was. :laugh3:

I was watching Violet Hill music video on VH1 and the captions were on. Why does it say "And the fox became God"? That's not even close to what he says

Also during that part at the end of the second verse, (most people think it says "My love's a poem...that unfolds") it said "My nerves are poles, that unfroze..."

That actually sounds pretty close. Have Coldplay confirmed these lines yet?

Chris did say in an interview that it was about Fox the TV channel.

Also, those are the lyrics printed in the tour program.

As far as violet hill, at least in the rolling stone interview he was kind of vague about it, he acknowledged o'reilly and things like that, but then we went on about his friend and how he was told to do things by his boss who he hated.

In the album it sounds more like fog than fox. and I think he kept that vague for a reason, perhaps to keep it interpretive. After all it's more of a general protest song than a description of the iraq war or something like that (no snow in iraq:cool:).