✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Gwyneth...

Katharina

Gwyneth Paltrow turns 40: How she got her big break

By Meriah Doty | Movie Talk – Thu, 27 Sep, 2012 1:23 PM EDT

gwyneth-blog630-jpg_172002.jpg

18-year-old Paltrow in 'Hook,' left, and Paltrow now (Photo: TriStar Pictures, Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

You may have a sense that Gwyneth Paltrow, who turns 40 today, grew up in a Hollywood power family, but you may be surprised to learn of one its most influential members.

Paltrow's godfather is legendary director Steven Spielberg (he is also Drew Barrymore's godfather). And it was Spielberg who gave Paltrow one of her first major acting opportunities.

[Related: Gwyneth Paltrow's 40th birthday: celebrate her career highlights and lowlights]

One night in 1991, Spielberg, his wife, actress Kate Capshaw, and Paltrow's late father Bruce took a teenage Paltrow to see "The Silence of the Lambs." On the way back, as Spielberg drove, he caught something in his rearview mirror that piqued his interest -- the horrified facial expression of Paltrow who was questioning Spielberg about the film.

Spielberg recounted what happened that night [via an Entertainment Weekly interview]: "Bruce and Kate and I had taken Gwynnie to see 'The Silence of the Lambs"… We were driving back from the movie theater, and I was going back to work [on "Hook"] the next day. I was looking in the rear-view mirror and she was talking about the film and she had this really frightened look on her face, and it suddenly clicked, and I said, 'Hey, you could be the young Wendy! You could be the young Maggie Smith [who plays ].' ...I turned around and said, 'Do you want to make a movie?' She got a SAG [screen Actors Guild] card because of it."

gwyneth-blog300-jpg_172002.jpg

Paltrow, right, and her mother Blythe Danner (Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage for Baby Buggy)

And that's how "Gwynnie," who was 18-years-old at the time, was cast in Spielberg's swashbuckling retelling of the Peter Pan story in the star-studded 1991 adventure film "Hook." In the film, as young Wendy, Gwyneth had a British accent -- something that surely later came in handy for her Oscar-winning role as the fearless Viola De Lesseps. Her gender-bending character pretends to be a man to get cast in a play put on by Shakespeare himself in "Shakespeare In Love." The film won six other Academy Awards that year including one for Best Picture.

Paltrow's late father Bruce was a director-writer-producer, most famously for the hit '80s show "St. Elsewhere." And her mother is actress Blythe Danner -- who has been experiencing something of a career renaissance ever since her appearance in "Meet the Fockers" in 2004. Paltrow has worked with her parents on a few projects over the years -- her father produced and directed karaoke-themed film "Duets" (2000) and Danner played her mother in "Sylvia" (2003). Ironically, both films were poorly received by critics.

gwyneth-paltrow-brad-pitt-new-line-cinemas-seven-547328.jpg

Paltrow, left, and Brad Pitt in 'Se7en' (Photo: New Line)

After her role in "Hook," Paltrow appeared in smaller roles in a string of films until she appeared in an unforgettably integral part in David Fincher's spooky serial killer hit "Se7en" (1995). And it was that role, along with her high-profile off-screen romance with costar Brad Pitt, that turned her into a '90s film darling. Yet that didn't guarantee her a spot in the 1997 megahit "Titanic" -- she lost out on the leading role to Kate Winslet. Oh well, Paltrow made up for this year by appearing in her biggest hit to date in "Marvel's The Avengers."

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/gwyneth-paltrow-got-her-big-break-172321275.html

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gwyneth Paltrow turns 40: Her age-defying diet and workout secrets

GWYNETH PALTROW DIET WORKOUTSEPTEMBER 27, 2012BY: SAMANTHA CHANG

1348781393_5543_Untitled.jpg

Oscar winner Gwyneth Paltrow celebrated her 40th birthday on Sept. 27, 2012, and has never looked better, thanks to her fitness-minded lifestyle.

The lithe 5-foot-10 Gwyneth said good genes have kept her looking young, but she also credits a healthy diet and rigorous daily workouts for her age-defying good looks.

"Genetics play a part, but sweating it out every day is detoxing," Paltrow told InStyle UK. "I also drink a lot of water, take Omega oils and keep my regime simple: a cleanser, face oils and Embryolisse moisturizer."

Gwyneth exercises up to two hours a day, combining cardio with light strength-training. "Exercise is key for me, even if it’s just 15 minutes of yoga to get the blood flowing," she said.

Paltrow, who runs her own fitness/health website called GOOP, has also published a cookbook because she has a passion for eating great food.

"I want to enjoy my life, and food is a big part of it," said Gwyneth, who has two kids with rocker husband Chris Martin. "I adore food and have loved cooking for the past 20 years. I love to cook and feed people. I work out so I can eat what I want.

"My favorite foods are savory and if I allowed myself an treat, it would be fried food, or a baguette with smelly French cheese and wine, followed by a confit of duck and French fries."

Paltrow isn't fazed about getting older because she has become more comfortable with herself through the years.

"I'm trying to accept myself," she told OK. "I'm hard on myself, so I'm working on shifting perspective toward self-acceptance, with all my flaws and weaknesses. The positive thing that drives me is a curiosity and momentum. The negative is a need to validate myself or feel special."

Paltrow, who was devastated by the death of her father in 2003 from throat cancer, says the loss helped her appreciate everything in life that much more.

"[i've] become much more serious after experiencing all the ups and downs of life--the heartbreak, the death of people I love," she says. "These days I feel pretty grounded."

http://www.examiner.com/article/gwyneth-paltrow-turns-40-her-age-defying-diet-and-workout-secrets

Nicole Richie collaborates with Gwyneth Paltrow to make exclusive clutch

Friday Sep 28 2012

Produced the Addison bagfor Gwyneth's online Goop blog.

harlow_1108711a.jpg

Nicole and her House of Harlow 1960 label teamed up with the Hollywood actress to produce an exclusive handbag for Gwyneth's Goop collection.

The reality TV star-turned-designer contributed the Addison handbag, a snakeskin clutch which features an elaborate clasp in the shape of a jaguar.

"Creating an exclusive piece for GOOP was a wonderful experience," Nicole shared with elle.com.

"The Addison clutch is a staple in [my] collection and we felt it would be the perfect piece to complement everyone's wardrobe."

Both stars are known for their great style and have been making a stir in the fashion world for some time.

Nicole previously worked with American store Macy's for a line, while Gwyneth designed limited edition Goop jeans for her website.

The handbag is available on Goop.com, which also features collaborations with rag & bone and MiH.

Read more: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/nicole-richie-collaborates-with-gwyneth-paltrow-to-make-exclusive-clutch-3243207.html#ixzz27qXLCnCB

Gwyneth Paltrow's 40th Birthday Yachting with Chris Martin!

Posted Saturday September 29, 2012 9:16 AM GMT

Celebrating the big 4-0, Gwyneth Paltrow headed to Portofino, Italy this weekend with husband Chris Martin and a small group of loved ones.

The "Avengers" star sipped red vino in a black blazer, white top and gold necklaces while her Coldplay frontman hubby sat beside her while aboard a luxury water vessel.

Aside from ringing in the life milestone, the Miss Paltrow recently tapped a famous friend to help out her GOOP Collection, a series of exclusive, limited-edition designer partnerships.

Former reality star and fashion designer Nicole Richie introduced the "Addison" handbag to the line, a classic snakeskin clutch in oxblood and teal with a jaguar closure on top.

http://celebrity-gossip.net/gwyneth-paltrow/gwyneth-paltrows-40th-birthday-yachting-chris-martin-735043

67015232.png

57234312.png

Various other pics are at the link.

gwyneth-paltrow-092812-%20(7).jpg

Thats Jake Paltrow, gwyneth's brother!

PS. I wish they didn't get papped and were allowed to have their privacy! And Chris weirdly looks irritated in the one pic with him and gwyneth only!

Ah! I'm glad they're together. Somehow I can't help remembering what happened 10 yrs ago this time in Italy :( She must really love Italy to want to go back there on this occasion.

I went to Portofino once with my parents a few years ago during a trip in that region of Italy. It is such a lovely place omg :dazzled:

I understand why celebrities love this destination :nod:

That definitely looks like a birthday cake and would explain why Chris is clapping, indeed :nod:

Ugh I'm always torn in those situations, I don't like doing that....:sick: I wish they'd have more privacy (although that's not really up to them, I mean, they seem to do as much as they can to protect it and yet we still get photos)

I like this interview on Charlie Rose when she was promoting Emma in 1996. Hard to believe that Chris was a freshman living in a dorm at UCL at the time :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvjYvMNoRU]Charlie Rose Gwyneth Paltrow Emma Interview 1996 Part1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUk-85YA2o]Charlie Rose Gwyenth Paltrow Emma Interview 1996 Part2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O9FCf8SoCk]Charlie Rose Gwyneth Paltrow Emma Interview 1996 Part3 - YouTube[/ame]

There's a longer version on pbs.org. She got invited to the Clinton's White House for a private screening of Emma. Her love interest at the time was by her side.

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin: Portofino with the Kids!

gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-portofino-with-the-kids.jpg

Gwyneth Paltrow holds onto some shopping bags as she makes her way to a dock to board a boat on Saturday (September 29) in Portofino, Italy.

That same afternoon, Gwyn‘s husband Chris Martin took their kids Apple and Moses to a local restaurant.

The family is currently in Italy celebrating Gwyneth‘s 40th birthday! She turned the big 4-0 on Thursday (September 27). Happy belated birthday!

Earlier this month, Gwyneth served as a host at a fundraiser for President Obama in London.

gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-portofino-with-the-kids-01.jpg

gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-portofino-with-the-kids-04.jpg

http://www.justjared.com/2012/09/29/gwyneth-paltrow-chris-martin-portofino-with-the-kids/