✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The '42' Thread

42rock89

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my cold opinion:

This song is gorgeous. It is not perfect because it is impossible to do a listenable song for all moods. This song's mood vary a lot, yes. It is divided in 3 parts that merge into one to make an excellent song. It starts with a piano riff and chris singing in a mellow but harsh voice with the lyrics we all know. Lyrics make a deep involvement in life after death."Time is so short but I'm sure there must be something more". Yeah it is repetitive but it is great. At the last seconds of the first part chris and johny are singing oooh and then the piano fades away slowly as well as the vocals. Then a dark and hard bit of violin comes in to welcome bass, battery and the guitar. This is one of the heaviest sound coldplay have ever done and some vocals again (oooh). This second part has a glorious ending with a stunning and heavy guitar solo. Then the third part begins. This part is faster and catchy but amazing. Chris singing loud "You thought you might be a ghost, you did not get to heaven but you made it close" with a rough voice and will and guy setting the quick rythm and then in the end another johny solo, not as good as the one before but it works perfectly well. 10/10

Great song, love the beginning and the middle part sends shivers down my spine, it's kinda.. spooky ! When I've heard it first I had this feeling that there were ghosts around or something :P I don't like much the last part, it ruins the atmosphere a bit, but the vocals are quite interesting :)

This is one heck of a weird song. I didn't much like it the first time I heard it, but...after a few listens it's now my second favorite song. (I'm not quite sure yet if it beats White Shadows. ;) )

I think maybe they've actually earned the right to call it "42." :P

I'll tell you what, it stands out a lot more in better quality on the actual CD. Actually made me sit up and go, "Wow, this sounds so much better!".

Well, the version I have is reasonably high-quality and my speakers are pretty terrible, so it may not make much difference for me. But I'll have to see when I finally get the CD...sometime next month. Stupid vacations. :P

Some parts of it I have to actually laugh at in disbelief at it's amazingness. When I heard the gorgeous catchy chorus, "You thought you miiiight be a ghooost" I was like, "WTF, this is so amazing how do they do it?!"It seems like it's out of place and it shouldn't work at all, but it does and it fits perfectly. When I first read that line in Rolling Stone I didn't expect it to sound like that AT ALL. And Jonny's guitar before that chorus, and the "you didn't get to heaven but ya ohhhh oh oh ohhhh oh oh", ahhhhhhhhh stupendous! This makes me smile so much. Argh, and the contrast of the joyous melody there to the quiter "Those who are dead..." and Jonny's apocalyptic guitar and Will's drums after that. WOAH, amazing.

Guest LiquidSky

I thought it had to do with Chris maybe be a little horrified of turning 42 later on in his life...and how it would be whenever he turns 42. I guess I was thinking a bit too much into that.. but thanks for the info :wink:

I thought it had to do with Chris maybe be a little horrified of turning 42 later on in his life...and how it would be whenever he turns 42. I guess I was thinking a bit too much into that.. but thanks for the info :wink:

lolollolll I see how that would fit, figuring the 'beer belly = shit songs' comments he's been making! But yeah, Chris def said about needing a song that was a number, but I can't think where....

Guest LiquidSky
lolollolll I see how that would fit, figuring the 'beer belly = shit songs' comments he's been making! But yeah, Chris def said about needing a song that was a number, but I can't think where....

it probably is and he thought to himself "oh no, I gotta think of something cool to say about it" :laugh3: