✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Aug-2009: Koengen, Bergen, Norway - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay concert in Bergen, Norway

I have been reading some articles about the Coldplay concert in Bergen, Norway in the netpaper "BT" (BT = Bergen Tidende. "Tidende" means news). I read a review of the Coldplay concert song by song; the main review of the concert by Einar Engelstad, Bergen Tidende; fan comments / reaction to the main review. I will try and make a summary of these articles and then post it here later this evening.

The concert was not very different from the one in Herning on 16 August. But the Danish crowd seemed much more into it than the Norwegian crowd. In one of the articles it said that Chris had a hard time trying to move the crowd / get it into it.

I understand that it was raining in Bergen, but there is a saying that "it always rains in Bergen"! Chris Martin had a haircut (and really needed it, I must say - and I am one of the fans preferring him with curly hair, but it was some centimetres too long imo. I was afraid that he would have shaved off too much hair, but I find his new haircut amazing - just perfect for the rest of the tour.

I will be back with the essence of the main review and an overall review of the concert goers as well as the review of the concert song by song. :)

Coldplay concert in Bergen, Norway on 19 August 2009

Here is the promised "song-by-song review" of the concert in Bergen, Norway on 19 August 2009 - a translation:

(source/link: http://www.bt.no/kultur/konsert/Slik-var-Coldplay-festen-910946.html?start=1#kommentarer)

Megahits, sing-along and spectacular light show.

Our music reviewer, Stephan Meidell has rated each song:

SONG TITLE and Rating OF THE SONG (highest possible is 6*)

Life in Technicolor/Violet Hill: Dreamy instrumental intro with the band behind a thin curtain which covers the entire stage. Excellent sound, and the audience is quite into it / prepared to sing-along. Seamless cross-over between the opening song and Violet Hill. Rating: 5* (out of 6 possible)

Clocks: Everyone recognizes this song taken from the 2002 album «A Rush of Blood to the Head». Enthusiasm and laser light. Chris Martin suffers when singing the high notes / when being in the high register Rating: 5*.

In My Place: Another hit track from the same record. Chris Martin does not need to sing the chorus - the crowd (attendance of 23.000 people) knows the chorus and is singing along. Rating: 5*.

Yellow: It had to be somewhere in the set, and it appears early in the set. Yellow light and yellow balloons everywhere. Here the crowd is singing along (to the lyrics as well as during the instrumental party?). A little early (for this song), but Chris' voice is now sufficiently warm. Rating: 4*.

Speed of Sound: Nice song - one of Coldplay's best songs, accompanied by an impressive cosmic video, which covers the the entire, huge stage. Grand and magnificent sound. Rating: 6*.

Cemeteries of London: Rhytms like the ones found in folk-music, and percussion for a short while. Fine, but the audience is not quite into this song. Rating: 4*.

42: The audience is not quite familiar with this song, and people begin to small-talk!! Maybe not quite the right time for such a song, although it is a fine song. Rating: 4*.

Fix You: "New" song in the sense that it is sung in a lower register, but the crowd at the Koengen venue is quite into it! It is taken from the «x&y» album, released 2005. The song ends with fireworks, and the crowd is singing along. Nice. Rating: 4*.

Strawberry Swing: Funny and catchy oriental country riff, and everybody is clapping along. Chris sings it loud, and the stage show is magnificent. Rating: 5*.

God Put a Smile on Your Face: The band members enter one of the ramps of the stage, arousing enthusiasm, and start the song in an electro/beat version. Fine in combination with acustic piano. The laser lights are dancing across the "Koengen" venue. Rating: 5*

The Hardest Part: Chris is still at his piano and sings this song alone, until Will joins him for the chorus - and then also the audience. Nice. Really good atmosphere in spite of the raindrops (drizzle). Rating: 5*.

Viva la Vida: Chris plays the «Postcards from far away» interlude before the crowd takes completely off hearing the start of the title track of the tour & album. The band plays extremely well, while Chris, full of enthusiasm, runs from one end of the stage to the other. The atmosphere is extremely good)! Rating: 5*.

Lost!: This song, too has rhytms similar to the rhytms in folk-music, but is much more catchy. Here Guy is percussionist, and the enormous/huge sound and the rhytm please the ears. Rating: 5*.

Til My Kingdom Come: The band members go to the second ramp and seem to disappear, before they appear on a new small island with acustic guitars, harmonica and shakers. They perform a fine version of the song, but many people within the audience cannot see the band and are therefore confused asking: «Where are they?!» Rating: 5*.

Billie Jean: We are kindly asked to light up the sky with our mobile phones, and it is like a new starry / starlit sky on the hill. The acustic version is worthy of a salute. Rating: 6*.

Politik: Change of scenery / stage with a remix of «Viva la Vida». Amazing light show when the «Politik» chorus sets in. Chris sings this song with nerve. All the time he includes Bergen and Norway in the lyrics. And the audience's response is a very enthusiastic «yeah!» Rating: 5*.

Lovers in Japan: Chris plays an instrumental intro on his piano to this mesmerizing song, and butterflies made of crêpe paper in all colours are blown across the Koengen venue. Beautiful! Rating: 6*.

Death and all his Friends: While the butterflies continue to fly around, there is another amazing light show. This is impressive, both visually and sonically. The moment the music ends, the audience starts singing along. (My qualified guess is: The ooh, oohs of Viva La Vida?). The band takes a bow and leaves the stage, but a sold-out "Koengen" venue insists on the band reappearing. Rating: 5*.

The Scientist: A humble Chris enters the stage again and he delivers the trademark of melancholy-feelgood. This song touches / hits everyone - fine, but not clichéd. Rating: 6*.

Life in Technicolor II: Perfect song to close the act accompanied by fire works. It is as professional as it can possibly get. Coldplay fully lived up to expectations. Rating: 6*.

Source: BT = Bergen Tidende (a Norwegian newspaper - "Tidende" means News) and translated by Nancy Boysen, coldplayer

More to come later tonight or tomorrow! (It took longer time than I expected) :)

Here is the promised "song-by-song review" of the concert in Bergen, Norway on 19 August 2009 - a translation:

(source/link: http://www.bt.no/kultur/konsert/Slik-var-Coldplay-festen-910946.html?start=1#kommentarer)

Megahits, sing-along and spectacular light show.

Our music reviewer, Stephan Meidell has rated each song:

SONG TITLE and Rating OF THE SONG (highest possible is 6*)

Life in Technicolor/Violet Hill: Dreamy instrumental intro with the band behind a thin curtain which covers the entire stage. Excellent sound, and the audience is quite into it / prepared to sing-along. Seamless cross-over between the opening song and Violet Hill. Rating: 5* (out of 6 possible)

Clocks: Everyone recognizes this song taken from the 2002 album «A Rush of Blood to the Head». Enthusiasm and laser light. Chris Martin suffers when singing the high notes / when being in the high register Rating: 5*.

In My Place: Another hit track from the same record. Chris Martin does not need to sing the chorus - the crowd (attendance of 23.000 people) knows the chorus and is singing along. Rating: 5*.

Yellow: It had to be somewhere in the set, and it appears early in the set. Yellow light and yellow balloons everywhere. Here the crowd is singing along (to the lyrics as well as during the instrumental party?). A little early (for this song), but Chris' voice is now sufficiently warm. Rating: 4*.

Speed of Sound: Nice song - one of Coldplay's best songs, accompanied by an impressive cosmic video, which covers the the entire, huge stage. Grand and magnificent sound. Rating: 6*.

Cemeteries of London: Rhytms like the ones found in folk-music, and percussion for a short while. Fine, but the audience is not quite into this song. Rating: 4*.

42: The audience is not quite familiar with this song, and people begin to small-talk!! Maybe not quite the right time for such a song, although it is a fine song. Rating: 4*.

Fix You: "New" song in the sense that it is sung in a lower register, but the crowd at the Koengen venue is quite into it! It is taken from the «x&y» album, released 2005. The song ends with fireworks, and the crowd is singing along. Nice. Rating: 4*.

Strawberry Swing: Funny and catchy oriental country riff, and everybody is clapping along. Chris sings it loud, and the stage show is magnificent. Rating: 5*.

God Put a Smile on Your Face: The band members enter one of the ramps of the stage, arousing enthusiasm, and start the song in an electro/beat version. Fine in combination with acustic piano. The laser lights are dancing across the "Koengen" venue. Rating: 5*

The Hardest Part: Chris is still at his piano and sings this song alone, until Will joins him for the chorus - and then also the audience. Nice. Really good atmosphere in spite of the raindrops (drizzle). Rating: 5*.

Viva la Vida: Chris plays the «Postcards from far away» interlude before the crowd takes completely off hearing the start of the title track of the tour & album. The band plays extremely well, while Chris, full of enthusiasm, runs from one end of the stage to the other. The atmosphere is extremely good)! Rating: 5*.

Lost!: This song, too has rhytms similar to the rhytms in folk-music, but is much more catchy. Here Guy is percussionist, and the enormous/huge sound and the rhytm please the ears. Rating: 5*.

Til My Kingdom Come: The band members go to the second ramp and seem to disappear, before they appear on a new small island with acustic guitars, harmonica and shakers. They perform a fine version of the song, but many people within the audience cannot see the band and are therefore confused asking: «Where are they?!» Rating: 5*.

Billie Jean: We are kindly asked to light up the sky with our mobile phones, and it is like a new starry / starlit sky on the hill. The acustic version is worthy of a salute. Rating: 6*.

Politik: Change of scenery / stage with a remix of «Viva la Vida». Amazing light show when the «Politik» chorus sets in. Chris sings this song with nerve. All the time he includes Bergen and Norway in the lyrics. And the audience's response is a very enthusiastic «yeah!» Rating: 5*.

Lovers in Japan: Chris plays an instrumental intro on his piano to this mesmerizing song, and butterflies made of crêpe paper in all colours are blown across the Koengen venue. Beautiful! Rating: 6*.

Death and all his Friends: While the butterflies continue to fly around, there is another amazing light show. This is impressive, both visually and sonically. The moment the music ends, the audience starts singing along. (My qualified guess is: The ooh, oohs of Viva La Vida?). The band takes a bow and leaves the stage, but a sold-out "Koengen" venue insists on the band reappearing. Rating: 5*.

The Scientist: A humble Chris enters the stage again and he delivers the trademark of melancholy-feelgood. This song touches / hits everyone - fine, but not clichéd. Rating: 6*.

Life in Technicolor II: Perfect song to close the act accompanied by fire works. It is as professional as it can possibly get. Coldplay fully lived up to expectations. Rating: 6*.

Source: BT = Bergen Tidende (a Norwegian newspaper - "Tidende" means News) and translated by Nancy Boysen, coldplayer

More to come later tonight or tomorrow! (It took longer time than I expected) :)

Thanks! :D