🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

I think it's going to be tight. Potentially a classic. I better get a few hours sleep now because Andy's going to need our full support! 3rd time lucky hopefully and hopefully the name of a certain Fred Perry can be consigned behind a different name in the British tennis history books once and for all... after 75 years! Come on Andy!!

Guest howyousawtheworld

What a big disappointment. Admittedly he showed signs of inconsistency in his semi and quarter match but I really didn't expect him to lose as easily to Djokovic. Having said that Djokovic was fantastic and fully merits his victory.

Djokovic played well and Murray just didn't turn up. 3 Slam finals no wins and 0 sets won he is going to be under a lot pressure if and when he reaches another Slam final.

Hilarious when someone in the crows shouted "Come on Andy, do it for Harry Potter". Ana Ivanovic was in Djokovic's box in both the semis and final she looked so pretty.

What a big disappointment. Admittedly he showed signs of inconsistency in his semi and quarter match but I really didn't expect him to lose as easily to Djokovic. Having said that Djokovic was fantastic and fully merits his victory.

I totally agree. Murray can play better, but Djoko thoroughly deserved the title as he had been the best player in the tournament and totally outplayed Murray in the final.

At least Murray handled his defeat much better than last year, though. Maybe that will stand him in good stead for the rest of the year.;)

• 2 months later...

Andy Murray looks for consistency after Rafael Nadal takes title

• Scot acknowledges missing element in his game

• Nadal beats Ferrer in final as Murray heads for a scan

• Simon Cambers in Monaco
  • guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 April 2011 17.54 BST <li class="history">Article history Andy-Murray-Rafael-Nadal--007.jpg Andy Murray, left, shakes hands with Rafael Nadal after losing in the semi-final of the Monte Carlo Masters that Nadal went on to win, beating David Ferrer in the final. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

It was the former Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic who famously revealed he had a split personality, introducing the world to "Good Goran, Bad Goran and Emergency Goran" to explain his fragile mental state. No one would ever suggest Andy Murray is in the same league as the eccentric Croat but the Scot admitted that the real Andy Murray had been missing too long.
    After two months he would probably rather forget, in which his form and motivation disintegrated, the world No4 bounced back to his best on the clay here, giving Rafael Nadal a real fright in the semi-finals. The world No1 Nadal clinched a 6-4, 7-5 victory over David Ferrer to win the Monte Carlo Masters for a record seventh straight time today and Murray acknowledges he needs to play flat out every day if he is to match the Spaniard and the rest of the world's best.
    "In the US I didn't feel as if it was me on the court," Murray said. "I wasn't doing myself justice at all and I need to make sure it never happens again. I need to play like I did against Rafa every week, that's what he does and that's why he's No1.
    "Novak Djokovic has been very consistent this year but to beat those guys and to overtake them in the rankings you need to do it every week. You can't go out and play crap for two to three weeks in a row because it gives guys a feeling that they can beat you and you don't want to have that. That was happening and I'm glad I managed to turn it around this week."
    It was interesting to hear Nadal say that he believed Murray had all the tools to be successful on clay. The Scot has always said he enjoys playing on it and the patience, movement and fitness required to succeed on clay should all be a good fit for him. "There are a lot of people who said: 'You don't play well on it, it's not your best surface,'" Murray said.
    "I feel I can play well on clay. It's easy to think, 'Ah, no pressure, I'm not going to do that well.' I need to make sure I go for the win in all the tournaments because it's possible, you just need to be very, very patient and very fit."
    Fitness may be a short-term problem for Murray after he needed a cortisone injection to calm a right elbow injury before playing Nadal. Murray travelled to Barcelona for this week's ATP event but is due to have an MRI scan to assess the damage. He will not take any risks but he is desperate to keep the momentum going.
    "I'm happy with the way I was competing and with my attitude," he said. "I was moving well and hitting the ball how I should hit it every time I play. That's why I'll be frustrated if I have to miss any tennis because I want to play right now."
    Both Nadal and Ferrer struggled for consistency in an enthralling final with Nadal making the crucial breakthrough to take a 6-5 lead in the second set.

Andy Murray looks for consistency after Rafael Nadal takes title

• Scot acknowledges missing element in his game

• Nadal beats Ferrer in final as Murray heads for a scan

He did play well in the second set and Nadal went to sleep. Have to question whether he should have taken the cortisone injection to numb the pain just to play on, if it turns out that he needs an extended rest period for the elbow.

Balls to the wall! Tennis champ Anna Kournikova puts the Biggest Losers through their paces

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 6:39 PM on 6th October 2010

The Biggest Loser contestants got an intense tennis-themed workout yesterday when Anna Kournikova turned up on the show.

The 29-year-old athlete stunned the contestants when she suddenly appeared wearing a hot pink dress.

'It was the surprise of our lives!' Burgandy, 35, said. 'Literally my heart was pounding out of my chest. I was so excited.'

article-1318251-0B7EC372000005DC-734_468x365.jpg Rigorous: Anna Kournikova made a surprise appearance to put the Biggest Loser contestants through their paces on last night's episode

'She was slamming hot, said Jesse,28. 'She could have taught us calligraphy.'

More...

And if they thought working out with Jillian Michaels was hard, it was nothing compared to the circuit training Anna put them through.

'Tennis is something where your whole body gets a workout,' Anna said. 'You're constantly on your feet and the key is to move, move, move and have fun with it.

article-1318251-0B8141CB000005DC-566_468x359.jpg Fine form: Kournikova's years of gruelling tennis training have given her the kind of body that millions aspire to have

article-0-0B7EC361000005DC-863_468x356.jpg Gruelling: Kournikova helped the contestants get in shape by putting them through a vigorous tennis workout

article-0-0B7EC439000005DC-744_468x286.jpg Game, set match! Tennis champ Anna puts the exhausted Biggest Loser contestants through their paces

article-0-0B7EC39D000005DC-869_468x286.jpg Stretch it out! Anna performs some squats as she returns to the tennis court

'I really do hope I inspired all the contestants, they inspired me.'

Whether she inspired the group or not, it's clear she was channelling Jillian Michaels as she ran the group ragged with a tennis challenge.

And the sexy star made sure she was right there with them working out instead of just watching and yelling at them.

article-0-0B7EC475000005DC-941_468x286.jpg Good job! Anna hugs a very sweaty Brandan after the tennis circuit challenge

article-0-0B7EC3B0000005DC-486_468x286.jpg Hug it out! Anna was inspired by her experience on The Biggest Loser and said she hoped she inspired them too

At the end of the two-hour show, Adam, 26, came out on top at the weigh in with a loss of 12 pounds, while 58-year-old Tina ended up going home.

At the end of the episode, a Where Are They Now segment about Tina was played - and it looks like she's doing fantastic.

Even though she was sent home, Tina continued to workout with her daughter, who is also trying to lose weight.

Tina's daughter has lost 85 pounds and if she continues to successfully lose weight Tina wants to bring her up on the stage at the finale of The Biggest Loser.

article-0-0B7EC42D000005DC-45_468x303.jpg Not just a pretty face! Anna proved to be a tough cookie when she put the contestants through a very tough workout

article-1318251-0B67ECF8000005DC-15_468x416.jpg Smallest Loser: Tina, 58 was not the Biggest Loser this week and was sent home

article-1318251-0B8142AF000005DC-823_468x349.jpg Motivated: Despite being sent home Tina has continued to workout since leaving the show and has shown some remarkable progress

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1318251/Balls-wall-Tennis-champ-Anna-Kournikova-puts-Biggest-Losers-paces.html#ixzz1KCyhQxtE