✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

30-Jul-09: Rogers Centre, Toronto, ON - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/Videos

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a phone call from my sister, she said it was Will's birthday and that they were in Toronto on the same day last year. She also got an unintentional upgrade when 4 guys were being rude and smoking in a section with some kids and security kicked them out. She said she had a great time.

The guys were amaaaaaaaaaazing tonight as always. The crowd has humongous, Chris said there were 50 thousand fans, and you could tell they were amazed by how loud we were tonight. They kept smiling to each other, and I think Chris even said something like "Shit, that's a lot of people." Setlist was the same as always, with Billie Jean and all. But, they did have a special birthday sing-a-long for Will. Even Phil, who we never see brought out the cake! All in all the boys never disapoint, and the crowd was unreal, amazing singing, and the mexican phone wave was great. And, one of the highlights of the night, before I left I got Johnny's setlist! A little sad that they said they won't be back for a few years, but it'll definitely be worth the wait, especially if they put out a new album sometime soon. Hope everyone had a great night tonight. Coldplay you are truly amazing.

hi im new here, so forgive me if i sound idiotic, but hooooly crap! i just came back from roger's centre... my first concert ever + my favourite and ever = i had the best night of my life

the first opening band was pretty bad, it just felt out of place, sounded countryish and all the songs sounded the same which wasn't a good thing

the second band (elbow) was amazing, the lead singers voice was really soothing like chris'

nearing the end, chris announced that it was will's birthday so they brought out a cake for him on stage, and we all sang happpppy birthday lol. they also did a tribute song (billy jean) for michael jackson and it was a neat twist

at the end we got a free cd left right left right left

i was upset they didn't play daylight though =(

hey guys! hope you had a great time.

wanted to be there more then anything in the world, but i have extremely lame friends (and i really want to stress the lame part) and no body wanted to go or was willing to pay besides me! :(

anyways... i just read one of the posts about the band announcing that theyre not returning for a few years! that depresses me! lol

hopefully its one of chris's many exaggerations...

did they play green eyes by any chance? if they did, i'll freeeeeeeeeeak!

From Toronto Star:

20090730torstar1.jpg

Over the years, I've realized that any review of a Coldplay show I do boils down to this: I head in not wanting to like the band, and then nearly everything the band does makes me like it.

So, for expediency's sake, at the Rogers Centre Thursday night - where the de facto "biggest band in the world" of the moment played its biggest Toronto show to date before upwards of 40,000 people - I only took notes whenever Chris Martin and the rest of the lads did something to endear themselves to me. Here's the rundown.

1. I know they've agonized over the pre-show mixtape, because we're steered toward Coldplay's emergence by U2 (very "meta," lads), Martin pal Jay-Z's "Give It To Me" and ..... er ..... Strauss's "Blue Danube Waltz" - which is a modest way of referencing 2001 without piping "Also Sprach Zarathustra" over the P.A.

2. Everyone comes onstage waving sparklers.

3. "Clocks" is still massive, isn't it?

4. During "Yellow," dozens of enormous yellow balloons descend from the rafters in slow-motion free fall. Momentarily, everyone in the stadium is 3 years old. Martin stops the song to ask everyone to sing along because "it's in my script" (very "meta" again, lads) "even if you're in Row 706 and you're only here because of your girlfriend." Damn him, he's taken all my best lines.

5. "42." Douglas Adams is introduced to Radiohead. Very earnest in its artiness, but the noisy part is still aces.

6. "Fix You." I'd usually be leery of saying "I'm such a chick for liking this song." But since every single woman I know all but faints every time they hear this ballad and every single woman around me is currently on the verge of collapse, I think I'm safe.

7. Martin makes a joke of our garbage strike and his increasingly uncool hairdo ("Even the hairdressers are on strike in Toronto") to mollify a crowd restless with ballads and promises that, after "The Hardest Part" "we'll do 'Viva La Vida.'." They do. Uproar.

8. A mini-acoustic set conducted from the floor deep in the concert bowl contains a freestyle "rap" introduction to drummer Will Champion, a lovely version of "Green Eyes" that I videotape to suck up to my girlfriend and a cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean."

9. On the way out midway through a predictably boffo greatest-hits coda, I'm handed a free CD of live tracks entitled Left Right Left Right Left. I still rather like CDs and, I must admit, I understand completely why Coldplay still sells millions of them.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/674590

they did play green eyes ...

This was my first coldplay concert and it was amazing!!! Couldn't stop smiling and singing. Nobody near me knew the lyrics though :(

Chris was in a great mood, laughing and poking Johnny. I am usually a member of the 'short hair club', but wow, he looks unbelievable, all sweaty :shocked2:

I loved every sinle verse of every song, it was so much better than I had expected. Will's drumming blew me away too. He was all over it.

Too bad though the butterflies were only projected on people in the flat section of the place ...

Grammy's jackets for the encore and then out came Phil with a cake!!! What a treat! And it was my bithday too so I liked the song as well :)

Can't WAIT to see them again at Wembley ... yay!!

oh, I forgot ... at the end Chris thanked people again for 'giving him his job', but then he said something like "you guys will never know how important this day is for us as a band". Does he say that often as well (like the 'best job' thing)? Does anybody know what he could have meant?? Couldn't have been Will's birthday alone ...

TORONTO - Exactly a year after Coldplay played the first of two sold-out shows at the Air Canada Centre, the Brit pop-rock outfit returned to Toronto for a show at Rogers Centre on Thursday night in front of over 45,000 fans, writes Jam! Showbiz.

On a stage dominated by glowing orb lights, the band - frontman Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion - appeared in shadows initially as they kicked off the concert with the stirring instrumental, Life In Technicolor, the first song from their multi-platinum, Grammy winning fourth album, 2008's Viva La Vida. "Everybody okay?" asked the always charming Martin mid-song, before finishing Violet Hill with: "If you love me, let me play Tor-on-to!"

Frankly, it was hard to see the four musicians, even during the next song, Clocks, despite Martin rocking back and forth on his piano stool, the presence of four large video screens, two on each side of the stage, and green laser lights.

Thankfully, that problem was corrected as the two-hour-and-15-minute show progressed. "Let's turn the lights on - that's a lot of people," said Martin as he hopped around the stage during the opening of In My Place and ran between two catwalks stretched out into the audience for the duration of the song before collapsing on his back.

From there, the show improved visually as dozens of yellow balloons were released onto the floor heralding the beginning of the band's 2000 breakthrough hit, Yellow, which saw the crowd singing along, especially at Martin's request. "Consider this your Canadian Idol audition ... Even if you're in row 706 and you're only here because of your girlfriend," he joked. Those orb-like lights finally fully lit-up during Glass Of Water, from the band's post-Viva EP, Prospekt's March, and the Viva tracks, Cemeteries Of London and 42.

"Let's do that last note together - try to take the roof off," said Martin as 42 wound down. Just think of him as democratic Pied Piper of Rock. Otherwise, Buckland's guitar playing added the much needed harder edge to songs like In My Place, Yellow, Fix You, Lost!, Death And All His Friends, while Champion's thundering drums held down the bottom end nicely, particularly during crowd favourites Viva La Vida, Lost!, Politik, Lovers In Japan (complete with multi-coloured, butterfly-shaped confetti) and The Scientist.

Less successful was when the band gathered together at the end of one of the catwalks for a sped-up version of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face that never really quite worked. Much better was when the group wandered through the crowd to a smaller b-stage on the floor to perform effective acoustic versions of Green Eyes, Death Will Never Conquer (with Champion - who turned 28 on Friday - on lead vocals), and a cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. "I don't know what else is happening on a Thursday night in Toronto but thanks for giving us your Thursday night," said Martin, as he settled in to play a piano version of The Hardest Part, on the catwalk earlier in the show. "All the garbage, all the stuff you have to get through, to get to us."

He then mocked his own long haircut saying after a year and a half on the road, he'd forgotten to cut it. "It's only when you see it on four 50-foot screens, in front of 50,000 people," said Martin adding: "Even the hairdressers are on strike in Toronto."

http://jam.canoe.ca/

Brit quartet bring soul to the stadium

20090730metro1.jpg

Venue: Rogers Centre

Rating: **** (out of 5)

With the music industry losing loads of cash and smaller acts getting more attention, many people think the era of huge record sales and big stadium shows is over. One problem with that theory: Coldplay.

It seems that no one told the British foursome, which is arguably the biggest band in the world right now, that the days of epic, over-the-top concerts are a thing of the past. The band has been traversing the world playing for thousands of fans in both packed arenas and bursting-at-the-seams stadiums, and putting on a damn good show at that.

By the time the group took the stage Thursday night it had played nearly 140 shows in support of its most recent album, Viva la Vida. While they’ve been putting on large, anthemic shows for years, the new disc, with its rockier tones and more guitar-based songs, meant fans were in for a more raucous show than they may have seen the last time the band strolled into town.

That energy came through early, as they kicked off the gig with the opening to Vida’s Life in Technicolor and then quickly moved to that album’s first single, Violet Hill. Clocks, their massive hit off their sophomore disc was third, while their other dramatic single off A Rush of Blood To The Head, In My Place, soon followed.

What was most remarkable, and somewhat surprising, is how intense the show was. While songs like Parachutes’ Yellow and X&Y’s Fix You are catchy enough, their measured pace can feel sluggish on disc.

Live, however, many of Coldplay’s slower tracks (and there are many), were amped up, or at least had more of a soul than their recorded versions.

It helped that the group, decked out in the same drunken clown-like military garb you’ve seen in their recent press shots, had no qualms about prancing around the large stage like they were in a brash rock band — and the screams and yells from the nearly 44,000 Torontonians didn’t hurt either.

If there were any low points it was when Martin went behind the piano. (Which, again, happened a lot.) His stage presence is still commanding when he’s sitting down, but he’s far more engaging when he’s able to move freely, or when he’s bobbing his head and strumming a guitar.

Still, the group have mastered the difficult art of putting on an intimate and alluring performance at a place like the Rogers Centre. And if this was the last large-scale rock show to come to Canada, then what a way to go out.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/entertainment/article/271243--viva-la-coldplay

Yeah I just think he was saying how fortunate they are and how much it means to them that they have amazing fans and could sell out arenas. They always say thanks for giving us the best job in the world type deal, but I don't think I've ever heard him say how important this day is for us as a band. Maybe it's because it's the first real stadium they've played in North America? I don't think they've ever played a venue this big in N.A. Supposedly 50,000 were there tonight. That's nuts! Sucks that it's already over...

it was a fucking hassle and a half to get out of the building, the free CD's prevented people from making a quick escape. The place reeked after the show, thank god it only took my 20 minutes to get out.

TORONTO - Exactly a year after Coldplay played the first of two sold-out shows at the Air Canada Centre, the Brit pop-rock outfit returned to Toronto for a show at Rogers Centre on Thursday night in front of over 45,000 fans, writes Jam! Showbiz.

On a stage dominated by glowing orb lights, the band - frontman Chris Martin, guitarist Jonny Buckland, bassist Guy Berryman and drummer Will Champion - appeared in shadows initially as they kicked off the concert with the stirring instrumental, Life In Technicolor, the first song from their multi-platinum, Grammy winning fourth album, 2008's Viva La Vida. "Everybody okay?" asked the always charming Martin mid-song, before finishing Violet Hill with: "If you love me, let me play Tor-on-to!"

Frankly, it was hard to see the four musicians, even during the next song, Clocks, despite Martin rocking back and forth on his piano stool, the presence of four large video screens, two on each side of the stage, and green laser lights.

Thankfully, that problem was corrected as the two-hour-and-15-minute show progressed. "Let's turn the lights on - that's a lot of people," said Martin as he hopped around the stage during the opening of In My Place and ran between two catwalks stretched out into the audience for the duration of the song before collapsing on his back.

From there, the show improved visually as dozens of yellow balloons were released onto the floor heralding the beginning of the band's 2000 breakthrough hit, Yellow, which saw the crowd singing along, especially at Martin's request. "Consider this your Canadian Idol audition ... Even if you're in row 706 and you're only here because of your girlfriend," he joked. Those orb-like lights finally fully lit-up during Glass Of Water, from the band's post-Viva EP, Prospekt's March, and the Viva tracks, Cemeteries Of London and 42.

"Let's do that last note together - try to take the roof off," said Martin as 42 wound down. Just think of him as democratic Pied Piper of Rock. Otherwise, Buckland's guitar playing added the much needed harder edge to songs like In My Place, Yellow, Fix You, Lost!, Death And All His Friends, while Champion's thundering drums held down the bottom end nicely, particularly during crowd favourites Viva La Vida, Lost!, Politik, Lovers In Japan (complete with multi-coloured, butterfly-shaped confetti) and The Scientist.

Less successful was when the band gathered together at the end of one of the catwalks for a sped-up version of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face that never really quite worked. Much better was when the group wandered through the crowd to a smaller b-stage on the floor to perform effective acoustic versions of Green Eyes, Death Will Never Conquer (with Champion - who turned 28 on Friday - on lead vocals), and a cover of Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. "I don't know what else is happening on a Thursday night in Toronto but thanks for giving us your Thursday night," said Martin, as he settled in to play a piano version of The Hardest Part, on the catwalk earlier in the show. "All the garbage, all the stuff you have to get through, to get to us."

He then mocked his own long haircut saying after a year and a half on the road, he'd forgotten to cut it. "It's only when you see it on four 50-foot screens, in front of 50,000 people," said Martin adding: "Even the hairdressers are on strike in Toronto."

http://jam.canoe.ca/

Wow does Will know he got 3 years younger :lol:

lol when he was singing "The Hardest Part", he sung "..and the hardest part, is having Justin Timberlake's haircut before he left Nsync" and the whole audience (myself included) roared with laughter, even though it was my first ever concert, i felt coldplay did a really good job in entertaining the audience other than through their music

although Chris said it'll be in a few years, i can't wait to see them again, this time hopefully in the pit