✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Damon Albarn thread.

eff-exx

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Dee has just been slated by Q, who gave it two stars.

The reviewer, Tom Doyle, only named one track in the review, Apple Carts, which he compared to The Good, The Bad And The Queen. And he actually made the statement "it's a big leap from Parklife." Really? You think? Any journalist who even mentions Parklife in relation to one of Damon's smaller projects (i.e. Africa, Rocketjuice, Dee, Monkey) loses my respect instantly; it's obvious your knowledge of the man is nothing more than a quick Google when you mention his biggest, least-esoteric album just for a quick comparison.

The phrase "hard-going" is repeated three times in the magazine, in relation to the album, and they also imply that Alan Moore fell out with Damon by saying they had "disagreements". Didn't he leave because it just wasn't his thing?

Lazy journalism, to quote Kasabian.

^ WOW what an idiot.

I actually have the album now if anyone wants a d/l i can PM you the password, etc. :nice: And it's actually amazing, I wanted to cry.

Also this Metro interview clears up a lot of stuff. I knew that John Harris cut his quotes and just focused on the most dramatic things!

What’s the album about?

It’s a collection of strange pastoral folk songs. It’s about England and me connecting with a more invisible, darker, historic side of our culture than some of the other stuff I’ve done.

What inspired it?

Dr John Dee, a 17th-century polymath, astrologer and advisor to Queen Elizabeth. He became obsessed with talking to angels and believed they could help him change the destiny of Britain. He lived in that period before the enlightenment, where the lines between superstition, magic and science were blurred.

Have you had any mystical experiences?

We’re all open to those moments. I got up early a lot while writing this. Cycling around London at 4am in May is quite mystical. It’s very still. There’s beautiful bird song everywhere.

One of the song’s lyrics was inspired by the royal wedding – did it fill you with patriotism?

It was inspired by the flypast over Wembley. I could see the planes from the window in my studio. Then the TV commentary turned to the bombers. There was the moment when it was happening outside my window and on TV at the same time. It was like looking in ever decreasing mirrors. I’m not a patriot in that sense of the word but I have a deep love of my country and the countryside, the people and the history. I love it as it is now – I’m not harking back for a bygone era but I’m interested in the past.

You’ve said you went through physical and mental trials to write this. In what way?

It’s very quiet and reflective. Whenever you’re writing something that’s reflective, you have to put yourself through some sort of ordeal just to understand the way you’re feeling. There’s a lot of soul searching in the songs and that journey takes a while. Being quiet can be difficult as it’s at odds with the modern idiom. Trying to write music that’s sensitive to 400 years ago takes a bit of madness as it’s such a long stretch of time.

This is a departure from your usual stuff. What sort of audience is this aimed at?

Anyone who is into Blur will recognise elements of my songwriting. It’s not too much of a departure from my more melancholic songwriting, so people who like my music will like this.

Are Blur and Gorillaz both finished?

No. That comes from an article which was an interesting take on a very long conversation. I don’t know how we’ll feel when we play Hyde Park. Some days I feel one way and other days I feel the other. If you don’t see something as a career but as an important part of your life, you don’t know how you’re going to feel about it. We want to put on a great performance but nothing’s been said between us about the beginning or the end.

What about Gorillaz?

When Jamie [Hewlett] and I have worked out our differences, I’m sure we’ll make another record.

Will that be difficult?

I don’t think so. We’ve been through too much together for it to be that big of a mountain to climb. We’ve just fallen out like mates do sometimes. I’m not the only person to fall out with mates and then make up again – everyone does it.

Are you looking forward to the Hyde Park gig in August?

Very much so. I love playing with Blur – it’s one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. At the same time, though, I don’t want to cock it all up by staying around too long and making a fool of myself. At 44, there’s a little trepidation about jumping around on stage but I love it.

Were you happy with your performance at the Brits?

Yes. I went there to thank our manager, Chris Morrison, and to have a laugh. I enjoyed myself. We take ourselves a lot less seriously now in the context of things like awards.

What’s the worst gig you’ve done?

There have been a few but when things did go wrong we immediately rectified them for the next night. One stage in Spain was blown away in a storm but we weren’t on it, thankfully.

What are you proudest of achieving?

Pride isn’t something I indulge in. I think everything could have been better. I could definitely improve on my interview technique.

Have you visited Alex James’s cheese farm?

Yes I have. I’ve tasted his cheese. It’s very good. What can I say? I’m not a cheese expert but it tasted like cheese to me.

What are people’s misconceptions of you?

That everything that comes out of my mouth is serious.

What’s been your most extravagant purchase?

I’ve bought a lot of bicycles over the years but mainly because they keep getting nicked. I don’t go too high-end, just keep it basic. I usually buy them from a shop on Golborne Road [west London] and they’ve seen a few of my bikes cycling down the road with someone else on them. Every time they see it happen, they say: ‘Damon will be in again to buy another one.’

Dr Dee is out on May 7 on Parlophone.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/music/897126-damon-albarn-blur-and-gorillaz-arent-finished-yet#ixzz1t4lgBVhI

Also there are some adorable Damon bits in this making of Bobby's new album :wacky:

I don't see why anyone who knows his back catalogue would refer to Parklife, which just shows really how little that journalist must have knew about him then....

Damon is on Jools Holland next week here, thats a half hour show on tuesday, with an extended hour long show on friday. Playing Dr Dee songs.

Ah thanks for that interview Liz, thats lovely! :wacky: aww, its lovely when you can tell how much he cares about playing in Blur. And its good to hear he would want to make another Gorillaz record one day.

A mate of mine knows an indie band, Young Blood I think they're called, who have been together five months, and recently played One Fest. They saw a certain Mr Albarn, but didn't know whether to approach him, because he was that huge and doesn't seem that comfortable in interviews.

They did though. He said he thought they were great, said they excited him, asked where abouts they practice, what kit they use, got a few pictures and was he generally, as Lizzie's said before, just so normal, relaxed, the complete opposite to how he is in interviews and on chat shows.

I know everyone knows what he's like in real life, but I just thought that was interesting how complimentary he was to another indie band, given that that's probably not his thing anymore.

A mate of mine knows an indie band, Young Blood I think they're called, who have been together five months, and recently played One Fest. They saw a certain Mr Albarn, but didn't know whether to approach him, because he was that huge and doesn't seem that comfortable in interviews.

They did though. He said he thought they were great, said they excited him, asked where abouts they practice, what kit they use, got a few pictures and was he generally, as Lizzie's said before, just so normal, relaxed, the complete opposite to how he is in interviews and on chat shows.

I know everyone knows what he's like in real life, but I just thought that was interesting how complimentary he was to another indie band, given that that's probably not his thing anymore.

Omg thank you for sharing with us!! that's so lovely, yeah he really is insanely normal I didn't feel intimidated at all around him. He's like a dad tbh :lol: which is weird of me to say since im always fangirling lmao but he definitely looks out for everyone.

Also would you mind submitting that story to my damon blog? I think it would be nice to have on there. You don't have to have a tumblr account either. This is the link if you want to :nice:

http://damonalbarn.tumblr.com/submit

Why on earth would someone compare Damon's Dr. Dee album to Parklife? Wtf.

It's awesome to hear that Damon is a regular guy in real life.

I think they were trying to go for the whole essential english sounding thing, but really GBQ would be the better choice.

I dug up some better quality Linda Brownlee photos too :stunned:

tumblr_m374oxkBcW1qb3xkxo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m374oxkBcW1qb3xkxo1_1280.jpg

and milkonlegs and inthelower-lefthandcorner posted these on tumblr as well:

tumblr_m36q5xa2df1r6n7gwo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m36suiYcdm1rrhwogo1_1280.jpg

I've listened all of Dr Dee and I have to say that i'm impressed by the ability of this man to write any kind of music. No doubt he's a great musician and loves what he does. But to be honest, I didn't like this album, not because it's a very different style compared to what he used to write, it is because I found it quite boring and disappointing. There are a couple of good songs, but I think he could have added more energy to it. Maybe I should give it another try before making a solid opinion, but after the first listen, this is all I can say.

Omg thank you for sharing with us!! that's so lovely, yeah he really is insanely normal I didn't feel intimidated at all around him. He's like a dad tbh :lol: which is weird of me to say since im always fangirling lmao but he definitely looks out for everyone.

Also would you mind submitting that story to my damon blog? I think it would be nice to have on there. You don't have to have a tumblr account either. This is the link if you want to :nice:

http://damonalbarn.tumblr.com/submit

Submitted :)

Has anyone seen Live Forever? I was watching it the other day (third time, lol) and they don't cast him in a particularly nice light.

Submitted :)

Has anyone seen Live Forever? I was watching it the other day (third time, lol) and they don't cast him in a particularly nice light.

thanks bro :kiss:!

ugh i hate that documentary! ( it was just really badly put together and why the fuck did they include massive attack? they have nothing to do with britpop. they're one of my favorite bands but dudes get your genres straight they are trip hop not britpop). damon wasn't originally going to do it but they said if he didn't they wouldn't have a docu so he felt bad. he said his uncle just died the day before that, so he was in an awful mood. and once he watched his parts later he knew he was grumpy in it so he asked to re-do his interview but they wouldn't let him because that wasn't fair to the other interviewees. :(

thanks bro :kiss:!

ugh i hate that documentary! ( it was just really badly put together and why the fuck did they include massive attack? they have nothing to do with britpop. they're one of my favorite bands but dudes get your genres straight they are trip hop not britpop). damon wasn't originally going to do it but they said if he didn't they wouldn't have a docu so he felt bad. he said his uncle just died the day before that, so he was in an awful mood. and once he watched his parts later he knew he was grumpy in it so he asked to re-do his interview but they wouldn't let him because that wasn't fair to the other interviewees. :(

I quite like it, if you take it with a pinch of salt. It shows the 90s in a beautiful light, and there are some great interviews, but did S Club Juniors and Be Here Now really kill Britpop? Or was it OK Computer/Urban Hymns/Ladies and Gentlemen/Blur? And I thought the inclusion of an Oasis tribute act was a bit piss-taking - where were Suede? Elastica?

That aside, I was going to say that the questions they asked Damon were ridiculous. "How did you feel to lose out to Oasis?" Well how would you feel? And then when they were trying to get him to talk about it more, you felt he was covering for someone... I just wonder if that was Graham. Because obviously, he hated that period of his life. Tried to jump out a window. Maybe Damon was protecting him.

And yeah, Massive Attack are phenomenal.

Hahaha, Damon seemed so fed up being interviewed on Jools. Apple Carts sounded pretty good though! Will be interesting to see what else he plays on fridays show.

That's classic Damon right there xD. Agreed that Apple Carts sounded awesome.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I quite like it, if you take it with a pinch of salt. It shows the 90s in a beautiful light, and there are some great interviews, but did S Club Juniors and Be Here Now really kill Britpop? Or was it OK Computer/Urban Hymns/Ladies and Gentlemen/Blur? And I thought the inclusion of an Oasis tribute act was a bit piss-taking - where were Suede? Elastica?

That aside, I was going to say that the questions they asked Damon were ridiculous. "How did you feel to lose out to Oasis?" Well how would you feel? And then when they were trying to get him to talk about it more, you felt he was covering for someone... I just wonder if that was Graham. Because obviously, he hated that period of his life. Tried to jump out a window. Maybe Damon was protecting him.

And yeah, Massive Attack are phenomenal.

oh man doesn't he say something about other people being involved that he doesn't want to talk about or something?

Could definitely be graham. i'm pretty sure he means Lisa Moorish too. From the creeping I've done and the small mention in the blur bio I have it seems Damon and Lisa had some sort of fling while Lisa was still going out with Liam. LOL which further complicates the drama. It appears Damon truly liked her. Even more weird is the fact that Graham and her use to talk on twitter and apparently he still checks up on her and her daughter, Molly (her kid with Liam).

Anyway there's a britpop soap opera for you. :P