✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Damon Albarn thread.

eff-exx

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how did you (and anyone else from overseas reading this) get into Blur without the wonder of media saturation?

I was one of the many Americans who first heard of them through "Song 2" in the late '90s, and liked that song. However, my area also used to get a Canadian music channel, MuchMusic, for a time in the late '90s and early '00s, and I also remember seeing the video for their song "Coffee & TV" on TV a lot. I liked that one, too, that video always stuck out in my mind.

Then in 2001 "Clint Eastwood" was everywhere, and again, loved the song. But for the longest time I didn't make the connection that the guy singing in that song was Damon Albarn from Blur. I didn't find that out until I started getting more into Blur's music, and that happened because I watched a lot of VH1 Classic and they started playing some of their early and mid '90s stuff on there a lot-"She's So High", "Girls & Boys", "There's No Other Way", "The Universal", etc. I kept seeing those videos on TV all the time and was curious, so I went on YouTube and checked out some more of their stuff. And I also started looking more into Gorillaz as well.

And voila! Like I said I'm still working on getting their albums, but I'm definitely a fan of everything I've heard so far.

I don't know why Blur didn't take off more here in the States. They should have, given how broad the amount of music that got popular in the '90s I don't see why they couldn't have had more success. Maybe their music was too referential of British culture, perhaps, for many Americans to "get it"? I dunno.

(I've never been to Britain at all, but I love music that speaks about British culture-it's something different and interesting to learn about-if I can't be there, hearing songs about it is the next best thing)

BLUR21

box.jpg

Blur 21: The Box

A deluxe 21 disc set, featuring

- All seven newly expanded Special Editions

- Four discs of rarities, exclusive to this set. Includes 3½ hours of previously unreleased material

- Three DVDs including over 2 hours of previously unreleased footage. Includes two pivotal live shows and an exclusive disc of video rarities.

- Collectable 7" single of the rare and previously unreleased live recording of the Seymour-era Blur song Superman.

- Deluxe hard-bound book telling the story of Blur's 21 year career with extensive liner notes based on a brand new interviews with the band, illustrated with imagery of the era, including some previously unseen photos.

vinyl-box.jpg

Blur 21: The Vinyl Box

All seven vinyl formats of the Blur albums are collected together for The Vinyl Box and housed in a sturdy hard case, presenting the definitive collection of Blur vinyl.

http://blur.co.uk/blur21/

£157.99!!!!!!

No way, I thought it would be expensive but that is just madness.

• Vinyls are worth about £15 each.
  • CDs are a tenner, but these have added discs, so judging by the Radiohead re-releases, they should be priced at £20-25.
  • The book, if you bought it by itself, would be worth at least £20 judging by Muse's recent tourbook, £30 if you consider it documents an entire history. But let's say £20, to be fair to them.
  • £8 for a DVD is fair, I'd say. There are three of these.
  • A 7inch single is £5, but this is a rare collectable. Still, let's say £5.
  • And four discs of rarities would be at least £10 each, surely.

All in all

(7x15)+(7x20)+20+(3x8)+5+(4x10)=

105+140+20+24+5+40=

£334.

= It's a steal :D

Why dopey Adele fans?

Good... I'll wait a bit before ordering the thing. Need to save up first. Sigh.

Because it's called 21. And they'd be dopey if they mixed the two.

It was funnier in my head.

£157.99!!!!!!

No way, I thought it would be expensive but that is just madness.

It's not bad AT ALL compared to the price of other bands stuff. I'm pretty sure Nirvana's shit was almost twice as much and not NEARLY the amount of goodies. The list can go on and on with other bands.

It's a steal to be honest.

it's still a good price for the vinyls tho! i'm going to sound insane but just for one (13) i spent like over $100 'cus i wanted a 1st. edition :embarrassed: so getting all 7 vinyls for the price of like $250 is still a good deal.

Not insane, that's just sheer dedication, ha.

Just I have no job; I'm a student.

Not insane, that's just sheer dedication, ha.

Just I have no job; I'm a student.

Oh and hey I just heard from the management that you can still get the vinyl box and there's a code so that you get all of the other rarities. So you get basically everything that's in the CD box except the photo book with the interview inside. So maybe you don't have to buy both :P

Oh and hey I just heard from the management that you can still get the vinyl box and there's a code so that you get all of the other rarities. So you get basically everything that's in the CD box except the photo book with the interview inside. So maybe you don't have to buy both :P

...:O

You. Are. A. Life. Saver.

<3