✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Damon Albarn thread.

eff-exx

aww man there is still plenty of good music out there! you just gotta know where to look. clearly not the same 10 bands the NME covers every week (even tho i do love kasabian but they aren't huge over here in the US at all).

Yeah, there is great music, but there's something about Damon, really. You know that. He just has this ability that few people have... Everything that he writes sounds as if he's writing for you and you only. Same with his performance.

Indie needs a kick up the backside, and a Blur album would do that. There aren't many bands that really, really excite anyone like they did in the 90s.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damon and Jamie have stopped speaking before... I feel sure they'll talk again.. I understand where Jamie's coming from though.. with Damon frontmanning on tour, and EMI cutting things like Rhinestone eyes, Jamie has nearly no part of the Gorillaz at the given time, at least, from his prospective =< they should just do it the old way.

aww yeah i know jamie was super bummed a lot of the tour for the rhinestone eyes video, etc. and that was a bit sad to see as i do love jamie too. i remember him and smoggy and us fans making fun of damon a bit (nothing mean haha) before our gorillaz show :P good memories.

i really loved the way they did these live shows tho :/ it was great to see all those legends on stage. the way they pulled off DoYaThing was great too. maybe they'll do something like that again. give it time :nice:

I think in all fairness to Damon though, the lack of Jamie is not his fault. They are a band. Music comes first. It wasn't Damon's choice to cut the video, nor was it his fault that band became Glastonbury-headliner-sized in three months flat. And as half the band, I'd expect Jamie to accept that, and I'm sure he did, to be honest.

But as Damon said, they can never do a tour like that again. They have to downsize, and that will make Jamie's side of the deal easier. I still want a movie.

Can I plug a Gorillaz remix on this page please?

Yea, tis true, its clearly just how the whole Gorillaz project has evolved over the three albums, perhaps its just ended at its natural conclusion? Who knows. Its just how its naturally occurred I think. Not anyone's 'fault' so to speak.

Ya knowing how close they were, I don't think that they r going to be mad at eachother forever. I mean just look at what happened between him and Graham. I highly doubt that this is the end of them. I'm still going to support Jamie and Damon's projects tho. I always loved what they do. The vodka boddle he designed turned out cool, same with when he drew a picture for the ghost bird foundation. And I'm excited for the Dr. Dee album, and I can't wait to see what Damon will do next.

I think its just a general interview about everything really! Here's the press release for it;

'Interviewed by Rob Fitzpatrick, Damon talks about writing Dr Dee in his "pastoral place in Devon", how there aren't two different Damons but "four or six". And about what makes Blur reunions possible, that speech at the BRITs and his part in the Olympics. Word Magazine is out now on the shelves and online.'

Scans from that magazine (from G-U):

worddamon2.jpg

worddamon3.jpg

worddamon4.jpg

worddamon5.jpg

worddamon6.jpg

worddamon7.jpg

Pretty cool interview, and i gotta agree that the interviewer did some very good question. Damon also seems to be in a good mood. But i don't know, so this puts us back in the first page regarding Blur news (as in, we still don't what's going on with this band?).

Man, Damon's trolling us all for sure:

tumblr_m0nchuKdGE1ql38yno1_250.gif

AHHH god i loved this interview!!! He's really sweet in it :D

I swear that other Guardian one had a motive behind it (as does everything John Harris writes). Not saying damon didn't say those things but a lot of the quotes seemed cut off or he only highlighted the most dramatic things Damon said. This one is much much more complete.

AHHH god i loved this interview!!! He's really sweet in it :D

I swear that other Guardian one had a motive behind it (as does everything John Harris writes). Not saying damon didn't say those things but a lot of the quotes seemed cut off or he only highlighted the most dramatic things Damon said. This one is much much more complete.

I've only just noticed you're from the States.

Is it true about no one over there knowing of Blur other than Song 2, and Gorillaz being the superstars? Or is that hyped up just a little, and people do actually know of Blur's work if they're into their music?

Off topic, just I'm interested.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/jamie-hewlett-my-brain-is-like-a-driedout-sponge-but-im-having-ideas-7645605.html

Hopefully this will shed a little more light with the whole Damon and Jamie fallout.

I really want to order that magazine. The interview sounds awesome :)

^^ oooo yeah i read that last night. nice to see jamie's side. i still think there's more to the story obviously but i respect both of them for not airing out their dirty laundry in the press. also what he said about meeting emma is damn adorable :kiss:

I LOVE HIM, but that Characature of him is friggen terrifying >< LOL[/color][/b]

hahahah really?! I actually love it, it looks just like him in cartoon form.

I've only just noticed you're from the States.

Is it true about no one over there knowing of Blur other than Song 2, and Gorillaz being the superstars? Or is that hyped up just a little, and people do actually know of Blur's work if they're into their music?

Off topic, just I'm interested.

Yeah pretty much. There may be some hip or angophile people in the cities who know about Blur but they are mostly a forgotten or never even noticed band. Gorillaz yeah are much more successful, altho no one really knows who is behind it, they just like Feel Good Inc. etc. If you mention Damon Albarn probably 99.9% of people would be like "WHO?!"

Yeah pretty much. There may be some hip or angophile people in the cities who know about Blur but they are mostly a forgotten or never even noticed band. Gorillaz yeah are much more successful, altho no one really knows who is behind it, they just like Feel Good Inc. etc. If you mention Damon Albarn probably 99.9% of people would be like "WHO?!"

To be honest, that's pretty much the same here. I've had to explain to every girlfriend that I'd leave them for Damon Albarn. They say "Who?" and I say "Blur, Gorillaz". And then it's "Oh, that's the same guy?" Both acts are woven into our cultural tapestry, but as you say, no one knows who they are.

Not like Oasis, funnily enough.

To be honest, that's pretty much the same here. I've had to explain to every girlfriend that I'd leave them for Damon Albarn. They say "Who?" and I say "Blur, Gorillaz". And then it's "Oh, that's the same guy?" Both acts are woven into our cultural tapestry, but as you say, no one knows who they are.

Not like Oasis, funnily enough.

Oh wow really? Yeah but at least Damon's in the papers over there yeah. I've never seen him in anything over here besides small mentions in strictly music magazines (not that i'm complaining :P )

Oh wow really? Yeah but at least Damon's in the papers over there yeah. I've never seen him in anything over here besides small mentions in strictly music magazines (not that i'm complaining :P )

That's true. Music fans know him, but if "Who's the lead singer of Blur?" was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, it want be worth around £32,000/£64,000.

So how did you (and anyone else from overseas reading this) get into Blur without the wonder of media saturation?

Would you consider mainland Europe 'overseas'? :D I was listening to the radio a lot when I was in primary school so I got into Song 2/Beetlebum/Tender/Coffee&TV unknowingly. A decade or two later I listened to The Best Of and realised I knew about 1/3 of the songs but didn't get into the band until 2009/2010 when other friends started listening to them. I got really curious, downloaded Parklife and Blur, then watched NDLTR and 'me voila'.

Would you consider mainland Europe 'overseas'? :D I was listening to the radio a lot when I was in primary school so I got into Song 2/Beetlebum/Tender/Coffee&TV unknowingly. A decade or two later I listened to The Best Of and realised I knew about 1/3 of the songs but didn't get into the band until 2009/2010 when other friends started listening to them. I got really curious, downloaded Parklife and Blur, then watched NDLTR and 'me voila'.

I just meant anywhere that wasn't Britain really :P

I was 8 at the turn of the millennium, and I recognized about 10 Blur songs from the media. More than Oasis. I feel like I've always known them <3