✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Damon Albarn thread.

eff-exx

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I've been listening to DR. Dee soundtrack for the last week. (I have it preordered of course, But I already actually have all the tracks anyway because the internet is leaky ><)

ALSO! Random and old, but I like it. xD it makes me smile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gy460jacbk]David Bowie and Damon Albarn - YouTube[/ame]

Personally I've been listening to DR. Dee soundtrack for the last week. (I have it preordered of course, But I already actually have all the tracks anyway because the internet is leaky ><)

ALSO! Random and old, but I like it. xD it makes me smile. [/color][/b]

I showed my mum (massive Bowie fan) and she said "Damon really looks unhappy." I guess he does, having watched it again.

Could you imagine Gorillaz ft. Bowie?

Hey, I miss this thread, I haven't been able to spend any free time on the computer. Ok this might be really random but I've been seeing a lot of commercials about the effects of smoking and it made me worry about Damon!!

PS loving all the Damon pics btw

I showed my mum (massive Bowie fan) and she said "Damon really looks unhappy." I guess he does, having watched it again.

Could you imagine Gorillaz ft. Bowie?

That would be awesome! :wacky: We had Gorillaz ft. Lou Redd on Plastic Beach, so why no Bowie?

That would be awesome! :wacky: We had Gorillaz ft. Lou Redd on Plastic Beach, so why no Bowie?

He's unofficially retired, but it would be immense to see him with Gorillaz.

Paul McCartney would be good too; he's someone who's expressed interest in working with them. We still haven't heard the Horrors collaboration. Or the Asha Bhosle song. And both Lupe Fiasco and Pharrell were linked with Gorillaz at one point.

Personally, the one name I would like to see with them is Noel Gallagher.

We need another Gorillaz album one day.

Well if its any hope to shout, we seem to get a new Gorillaz album every 5ish years? Haha![/color]

Except The Fall, that was nine months later!

I think it's a really good timespan they've got going on. Just long enough that they're still relevant, not too long that no one cares. They always reinvent the wheel, but it always feels like Gorillaz. One of the only modern bands you can actually class as exciting.

By which, I mean they're unpredictable, you get a different genie each time the lantern's rubbed. Blur were exciting, they never stood still. Radiohead are the same, even if HTTT and TKOL were stale. The Jam and At The Drive-In both examples who packed it in before it got out of hand. But as much as I love them, bands like Oasis, Kasabian and Coldplay who don't make too much of an effort to evolve... It should be a necessity

Except The Fall, that was nine months later!

I think it's a really good timespan they've got going on. Just long enough that they're still relevant, not too long that no one cares. They always reinvent the wheel, but it always feels like Gorillaz. One of the only modern bands you can actually class as exciting.

By which, I mean they're unpredictable, you get a different genie each time the lantern's rubbed. Blur were exciting, they never stood still. Radiohead are the same, even if HTTT and TKOL were stale. The Jam and At The Drive-In both examples who packed it in before it got out of hand. But as much as I love them, bands like Oasis, Kasabian and Coldplay who don't make too much of an effort to evolve... It should be a necessity

I love the fall, but I dont think it counts as an official album because it wasnt actually PLANNED. it just sort of happened, Lol

I love the fall, but I dont think it counts as an official album because it wasnt actually PLANNED. it just sort of happened, Lol

[/color][/b]

I know what you mean, I don't really count it either, but Wikipedia says it is :lol:

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Does DA feature on it a lot?

It's an amazing album. He's on 3 songs vocally but plays piano throughout and obviously he's really guided the sound of the album as tony is always calling him the captain. I didn't expect much vocally anyway, technically we haven't had a straight all vocal album from Damon since GBQ.

Nooooooooo!! What do he's going to be retiring or something? Im hoping that he still might do little projects still tho. I don't believe he's done yet. And him and Jamie were really good friends too. Wth. I guess only time will tell :(

That's a nice interview, thanks Liz!

I believe this is the first time someone adresses his relationship with Jamie other than Denholm. That's pretty bad, that Jamie considers Gorillaz is done.

Still, you never know. I thought Gorillaz were over after phases 1 and 2 (granted, those were different times, no personal rows or anything).

Oh no he's not retiring! I'm sure he'll keep making music in some form forever lol.

And it's not really soley in his control about either blur or gorillaz.

if jamie doesn't want to go forward with gorillaz then there's not much damon can do. and you can't blame jamie either.

same with blur. even alex said he was too busy with his kids and making cheese to start up blur again. there are so many people in these projects it's impossible to point the finger at one person (which is usually damon and it's really unfair).

he's really honest, can't be upset with him at all for that. i admire him for it.

here are some more:

courtesy of blur forums:

tumblr_m24dse9pRf1qzmw1so1_500.jpg

scanned by my blogging partner shelley:

tumblr_m24a3nwf4t1qc161po1_500.jpg

Oh no he's not retiring! I'm sure he'll keep making music in some form forever lol.

And it's not really soley in his control about either blur or gorillaz.

if jamie doesn't want to go forward with gorillaz then there's not much damon can do. and you can't blame jamie either.

same with blur. even alex said he was too busy with his kids and making cheese to start up blur again. there are so many people in these projects it's impossible to point the finger at one person (which is usually damon and it's really unfair).

he's really honest, can't be upset with him at all for that. i admire him for it.

here are some more:

courtesy of blur forums:

tumblr_m24dse9pRf1qzmw1so1_500.jpg

scanned by my blogging partner shelley:

tumblr_m24a3nwf4t1qc161po1_500.jpg

That's fair enough that there's not just him involved.

But come on, it's Damon Albarn we're talking about. This is a man that joined the dots between all those huge names with Gorillaz. The same man that formed, easily, the most musically-gifted group since Stone Roses with TGTB&TQ, and has united all-star casts for Africa projects and Rocketjuice.

What I'm saying is, if there's anyone who can make a sleeping band work, it's him. I'm in a sleeping band myself, and it's overwhelmingly difficult to keep it running. He's the man that inspires me to do it, though.

Saying I'll never forgive him was harsh. I was upset, sorry. He'll always be my hero, no matter what he does.

I'm actually OK with him not doing anything else with Blur and/or Gorillaz. Still sad I'll never get to see teh monkeys but... at least the musicians have got the balls to call it a day before they go past the 'use by' date.

I'm sure he'll still be making music. No worries there.

That is sad about him an Jamie, I hope they start being 'friends' again soon, even if we never see another gorillaz album. I dont like to think about them two as not talking...however silly that sounds.

Tbh I do not mind what he does, as long as he is making music that I enjoy, and by the sound of this, he will not be giving up recording and playing music in some form, for a very long time.

The reason I'm not happy with the "no Blur" thing is because music is boring at the moment. I got into Blur in 2009, and Hyde Park was the start of my adoration of Albarn. I was 11 when Blur went on hiatus, and though they were always there, I haven't had this band for 20 years, I've had them for three.

And when they got back for 2009, I really wanted an album from them. We got Fools Day, and I've played that to death, but I want a Blur record to look forward to. And I know plenty of people my age who would also look forward to it. They're still relevant. And you know what, we don't have anything else at the moment. Everyone else is too huge to care about us - Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys - and there are no decent indie bands coming through.

Ending Blur is totally the right thing to do. But I just long for one more record from them.

Sad to hear the news about Blur. I just recentally got into them (I guess I still have some stuff to explore in their catalogue). At least we'll get Under The Westway, and in many ways it's sort of...I don't want to say good, but it's sensable I guess, that Damon's ending it. 9 years without a new album is a lot of time, and at least their not having us, the fans, waiting at the edge of our seats for something that probally won't happen. Again, it's sad it has to end, but every band comes to this point eventually.

And it looks like we might have made it, yes it looks like we've made it to the end:)

Thanks for the music guys!

Well, I guess I won't be seeing Blur live ever. It's especially disappointing being trapped in North America where Damon never wanted to take Blur during this revival period. I'm okay with Blur not having made another record (post-reunion albums traditionally miss more often than they hit) but I wish they gave the rest of the world a second chance. :\

Will always love them, of course. :cool:

That's fair enough that there's not just him involved.

But come on, it's Damon Albarn we're talking about. This is a man that joined the dots between all those huge names with Gorillaz. The same man that formed, easily, the most musically-gifted group since Stone Roses with TGTB&TQ, and has united all-star casts for Africa projects and Rocketjuice.

What I'm saying is, if there's anyone who can make a sleeping band work, it's him. I'm in a sleeping band myself, and it's overwhelmingly difficult to keep it running. He's the man that inspires me to do it, though.

Saying I'll never forgive him was harsh. I was upset, sorry. He'll always be my hero, no matter what he does.

that's ok, I was on the Blur forums earlier today and just the ignorance some people have towards damon on there pissed me off :lol: it's always the same story.

i have no doubt he'll go on to form probably 10 more awesome bands in his life. i really doubt it's the end for gorillaz anyway. give them another year, i can't imagine them staying upset with each other that long. damon's a forgiving person we know that from him and graham getting back together. i bet they make up sometime in the future.

and yes of course he pushes and really inspires bandmates to do their best but i think they all are fine with blur ending. they don't want to tarnish the image, i get that. i would hate it even more if they became even more over exposed and made a so so album (not that they would but you know :P )

I'm actually OK with him not doing anything else with Blur and/or Gorillaz. Still sad I'll never get to see teh monkeys but... at least the musicians have got the balls to call it a day before they go past the 'use by' date.

I'm sure he'll still be making music. No worries there.

That is sad about him an Jamie, I hope they start being 'friends' again soon, even if we never see another gorillaz album. I dont like to think about them two as not talking...however silly that sounds.

Tbh I do not mind what he does, as long as he is making music that I enjoy, and by the sound of this, he will not be giving up recording and playing music in some form, for a very long time.

agreed and agreed

The reason I'm not happy with the "no Blur" thing is because music is boring at the moment. I got into Blur in 2009, and Hyde Park was the start of my adoration of Albarn. I was 11 when Blur went on hiatus, and though they were always there, I haven't had this band for 20 years, I've had them for three.

And when they got back for 2009, I really wanted an album from them. We got Fools Day, and I've played that to death, but I want a Blur record to look forward to. And I know plenty of people my age who would also look forward to it. They're still relevant. And you know what, we don't have anything else at the moment. Everyone else is too huge to care about us - Kasabian, Muse, Arctic Monkeys - and there are no decent indie bands coming through.

Ending Blur is totally the right thing to do. But I just long for one more record from them.

aww man there is still plenty of good music out there! you just gotta know where to look. clearly not the same 10 bands the NME covers every week (even tho i do love kasabian but they aren't huge over here in the US at all).