✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2 CANCEL APPEARANCE AT GLASTO - REPLACED BY GORILLAZ

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok this is my thread so im going to bring an end to this. and there is a right and wrong answer. it just needs to be expressed properly. so im going to put my law school skills to the test here and see how i go.

so whats your problem: half of us think that coldplay is the biggest band in the world and the other half of us think that theyre not most of the latter half think U2 is the biggest

so how do we work out who is the biggest: is it the band who has sold more tickets in recent times? the band who has sold the most number of albums in recent times? a combination of the two? or is it the band that seems to dictate the most attention (google trends can solve that for us)

so first we need to work out which criteria we should use to work out who is bigger. there seems to be a big emphasis on "now" who is bigger "now"? so i think we should stick to how the bands have done in the past 24 months (this makes it fair for both bands)

can we agree that we look at their album sales, ticket sales and column inches?

i seem to be the closest thing to an impartial judge on this so once we agree on a criteria i will take care of the number crunching.

Oi piss off!!! This is my thread!!! I deserve credit for bringing back the old WoM!!! I'm the reason this is all happening! Don't steal my thunder ok!!

ok this is my thread so im going to bring an end to this. and there is a right and wrong answer. it just needs to be expressed properly. so im going to put my law school skills to the test here and see how i go.

i seem to be the closest thing to an impartial judge on this so once we agree on a criteria i will take care of the number crunching.

quit trying to own threads man, that isn't how they work. you don't get credit for being the first to hear that u2 aren't playing.

and stop trying to get credit for causing controversy as well. all you did was post a link, it was other people who then starting hating on u2 and making the thread mildly humerous. why do you care so much about continually name checking yourself? you must have a bigger ego than bono.

I just read through all these pages to understand what the hell caused this thread to have 238 replies while I was sleeping.

db9d4b20.jpg

This thread reminds me of young boys compairing their trading cards for football, cars or whatever they did back then.

I didn't understand it then and I don't understand this now.

In my opinion it's pointless to get out whatever numbers to prove a personal opinion.

Everyone has a different view on things! And some are more passionate / have a different temper than others.

Like others pointed out already it's not fair to compare album sales or popularity on social network sites like Facebook - it doesn't say much.

There are more variables to take into account and even then every person might come to a different conclusion.

My fascination with Coldplay for example also includes variables like their charm and humour, the way they make you feel during concerts with just one little comment, their website which makes you comes back to check for news often (genius move!), overall their great way of making you feel appreciated as a fan and up to date with what they're doing.

None of this has to do with why I love their music!!

Other people here would list completely different things.

Yes, this is a Coldplay forum but it doesn't mean you're only allowed to be here if you think Coldplay are THE best.

I love the WoM section, suggestions of other members here made me discover some great bands! :heart:

The band are funny lads, often joking about the "being biggest" thing.

Let's just say they're one of the tallest, ok? :lol:

Although U2 are not really my cup of tea I think it's sad that health problems caused them to cancel gigs and I hope Bono will be better soon.

Making fun about that just isn't nice.

You wouldn't want to read jokes about Coldplay if they'd have to cancel gigs because of Chris having problems with his voice (like it happened some years ago), right?

the coldplay fans who are often criticising the band? or the coldplay fans who think coldplay is the be all and end all of music.

I was more referring to the new snarkiness of the latter ones.

I am bored of this argument. I detest Viva, I cannot listen to it anymore, it has turned into a sack of canned tomato soup over time. Tomato soup makes me vomit. Quantity does not equal quality.

I have barely even listened to U2 but it is clear from what I have heard and read that they have made a big impact on the music industry today. We might not even have Coldplay if it weren't for U2, as U2 were one of their big inspirations.

Anyway.

trolls,like Harry potter ones :uhoh:

trollq.jpg

This thread just annoyed the crap out of me.

Coldplaying sometimes makes me feel like there's either smart people who really are music lovers and have such great musical taste/knowledge but generally don't like Coldplay, or stupid Coldplay fanboys/girls who know nothing about music other than Coldplay (and make Coldplay fans look like tools :shame:).

Are there people in here who really love Coldplay's music (including Viva stuff) AND who also listen to tones of other bands and are eager to discover new music all the time just cause it's their passion ??

If so, I'd like to meet them !!!

Are there people in here who really love Coldplay's music (including Viva stuff) AND who also listen to tones of other bands and are eager to discover new music all the time just cause it's their passion ??

ME ALL OVER

ME ALL OVER

Nice to meet you then ! Actually I heard about you (blame the amazing Sofia Dadou for that^^) :P

and EVERYONE living in the WOM area of the forum

No, and that's my point, lots of people in the WOM don't seem to like Coldplay. They once liked them, when they joined the forum, but don't like them anymore.

ok this is really bugging me so im just going to say what i wanted to say then get out of here.

now hardcore coldplay fans. you claim that because VLV outsold No Line 3 to 1 that makes coldplay a bigger band. i completely understand that. but if you're going to judge the biggest band just by that then you're basically saying that alongside coldplay the biggest include the black eyed peas, lady gaga and taylor swift. as they've sold almost as many as coldplay has over the last couple of years. if you're ok with coldplay being in that sort of company then i really have nothing left to say.

now that leaves us with the other measure of big-ness, concert tours. now that obviously gives U2 a massive advantage but i dont think its as simple as that. although coldplay do smaller shows their shows tend to sell out much quicker, at least from my experience. rather i think its better to ask which band can draw the bigger crowd. now i noticed that a few of the hardcore coldplay fans were south american. i think you guys should look at "if coldplay and u2 came here tomorrow which band would sell more tickets" and i think a comparison of their last visit to Sao Paulo's epic Morumbi is a good one to take

U2 - 2 nights - 149 000 out of 149 000 tickets sold

Coldplay - 1 night - 53 000 out 63 000 tickets sold

you can argue that coldplay is bigger because their fans are willing to spend money on them. but a ticket to a u2 gig costs 10x that of a coldplay album.

more fans on twitter and facebook? show me a true u2 fan who can turn on a computer and then we can talk.

well thats all i wanted to say. really doubt ive convinced anyone but im stuck behind a desk 12hrs a day so i need something to vent on. i love both bands (coldplay much much more) and even though i dont think coldplay is the biggest now give them 10yrs and they will be top of the world unless of course matt, chris and dom have something to say about that.

lolz, exactly what I was saying (@ Deaths_friends.)

This thread just annoyed the crap out of me.

Coldplaying sometimes makes me feel like there's either smart people who really are music lovers and have such great musical taste/knowledge but generally don't like Coldplay, or stupid Coldplay fanboys/girls who know nothing about music other than Coldplay (and make Coldplay fans look like tools :shame:).

I like all 4 coldplay albums. But love other ones as well, some even more.