✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Who or what got you started on Coldplay?

aarontennies

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2001, January

when i was eleven...

I was dropped off at an orphanage and had no idea where i was or why

and everything was strange and i was sent to bed in this room that was pitch black

and im just like "...ok a centipede just tried to crawl up my leg.... its pitch black, where the f*ck am i? .... Aunt Sue you can come get me now"

i stayed up waiting and trying to run through my head the past week to try and get anything to make sense... and because i was a total sissy as a kid... i cried myself to sleep

and apparently kept crying in my sleep ... i know because my room mate woke me up, and explained to me where i was.

she was really kind and said if we sleep back to back nothing can sneek up on us and shes afraid of the dark so... we shared her bed.

...but i still couldnt sleep

so she gave me her little walkman cd player thing

and guess what was on it :dozey: ?

...yeah, Parachutes

its ironic that the first song was called "Dont Panic"

i played the whole CD on loop and had no idea i was making a memory,

or that i had just found my favorite band and to this day only best friend in the whole world

she loved them as much as i did

she died 4 years later

she was 12.

2001, January

when i was eleven...

I was dropped off at an orphanage and had no idea where i was or why

and everything was strange and i was sent to bed in this room that was pitch black

and im just like "...ok a centipede just tried to crawl up my leg.... its pitch black, where the f*ck am i? .... Aunt Sue you can come get me now"

i stayed up waiting and trying to run through my head the past week to try and get anything to make sense... and because i was a total sissy as a kid... i cried myself to sleep

and apparently kept crying in my sleep ... i know because my room mate woke me up, and explained to me where i was.

she was really kind and said if we sleep back to back nothing can sneek up on us and shes afraid of the dark so... we shared her bed.

...but i still couldnt sleep

so she gave me her little walkman cd player thing

and guess what was on it :dozey: ?

...yeah, Parachutes

its ironic that the first song was called "Dont Panic"

i played the whole CD on loop and had no idea i was making a memory,

or that i had just found my favorite band and to this day only best friend in the whole world

she loved them as much as i did

she died 4 years later

she was 12.

A very unique story! Thank you for sharing!

In 2005 I heard a lot of buzz about Coldplay as a result of the release of X&Y. I bought the CD and liked it -- bought AROBTTH soon after. A couple of months later my company sent me on a one-year assignment to the UK. There I found Coldplay all over the radio. I got introduced to some of the older songs and found myself really liking their sound, but I didn't know anything about them.

Back in the States and a couple of years later I asked for Viva La Vida for a Christmas present and got it. Spent my holidays listening to it and really liking the sound.

But what nailed it and made me a die-hard fan was seeing them in concert in Toronto in July 2009. They literally blew me away. Chris Martin is solely responsible for making me take up piano again. I've got many of their songbooks and have greatly enjoyed learning their songs.

I'll be a fan for the rest of my life.

I heard VLV cover by my back-then-favorite artist, thought it was very christmasy song (it was christmas when I heard it) and bought it on iTunes. Then bought all the albums in several months starting with VLVODAAHF in no order and here I am now. :dozey:

I was searching for songs, when my cousin came to us. Then she showed me some coldplay songs and I was really amazed by them.

A few months later my classmate was really sad, and I asked him why. He said that he couldn't go to the coldplay concert. I started to chat with him about the band, and he showed all of their songs. :D

Back in 2000, my brother was looking at my music collection and noticed a lot of Brit pop-rock orientated artists in it. He tells me, "You know, you might be interested in this band that's getting huge from there called Coldplay." He tells me that "Yellow" is their main song, I check it out online...

"What the hell?", I thought. "I hate this song!" I've seen the video for it before that, and it actually annoyed me! Granted, in hindsight, it's actually grown on me a little bit, and now I can tolerate it. But I wasn't a fan of it at the time. Nevertheless, I kept track of them on MTV and such. I actually thought Trouble was a decent song, and I really liked the video for it.

Other than that, I didn't keep up too much on them until the second album came out. I thought In My Place was a pretty good song. I thought The Scientist was alright too. Then Clocks came out and blew the roof off the whole thing. THERE was a song I really liked! Catchy and well-written it seemed like. After that, I figured since I thought the first three singles were okay, I'd go buy the CD and give it a chance. After that, I really came to like the other songs off there... Amsterdam, Warning Sign, God Put a Smile on Your Face, etc. So I guess I was a fan after that!

So that's basically it. Bought the albums that came out since then and that whole deal. I actually didn't catch them live until the Des Moines concert last year, and because of some traffic in Minnesota, I missed Violet HIll and Clocks being played! :( But it was a good show nevertheless. My brother had begged me for years to see them live after they blew him away at a show 7 or so years before, so it was nice to fulfill that. I'll certainly be looking at the next album when it comes out, and I'll definitely catch them the next time they come near my area... this time leaving an hour or two earlier from work! ;)

I was sitting under an oak tree when an acorn fell on my head. It knocked me out, and when I regained consciousness, I realized that I suddenly liked Coldplay. True story!

Naw, I just made that up because my REAL story isn't any more interesting than "heard Speed of Sound on the radio in 2006 and decided to check these dudes out". :dozey:

• 1 month later...

I had known about Coldplay for a while but only the hits like clocks and speed of sound and i wasn't really AWARE of them persay. You could say I'm a late bloomer but it was around April 2008 when I really got into them. My family had company over and we were listening to the radio on the back porch. All of a sudden Violet Hill comes on and i was hooked. I waited till the end of the song and heard the DJ say "that was Violet Hill by Coldplay off their upcoming album Viva la Vida" I knew I had to hear more. So i went inside on the computer on to imeem.com which isnt around anymore. I sat listening to song after song all that night. I loved it <3

I remember like it was burned into my brain.....

2003-

I hadn't really been listening to much music for about 5 or 6 years because I was too busy having babies and cleaning up "the ick and the poo" ;)....

...I was getting my first real 'away from the kids' vacation with my sisters and mom.....

.....A call from my husband on my way to dinner out and he mentions before hanging up that I really REALLY ought to listen to this band called Coldplay---he's heard some of their stuff and he's positive I'm going to love it.....yeah, um, whatever, if I have time sometime....

That very next day, I hear Clocks for the first time all the way through.........and that was it.

........Gone,Gone,Gone. Never to return to normal again......

......Same feeling as discovering U2 when I was about 18. .......Same butterflies, same insatiable desire to listen to nothing else.......same urge to travel all over god's green earth to see'em live.

Total Goner.

13 concerts, hours and hours standing in line to be right up close, creating my VIVA car and spending a shitload of dough...

....still a total goner.

(Thank goodness I have a husband and kids who are into them as well so we have fun together.)

Welll it started in '02 though I'm pretty sure it was when Parachutes was released because I recall seeing that globe in my dad's cd collection. They were frequiently on the radio when we went camping one week. I could never make the connection between Yellow, Clocks and In My Place I just thought people were making good music at the time. Then Peter Pan commercials were on a while later and there was this catchy piano riff in the commercial and I'd scream whenever it came on I didn't know the song or why it was so good and when you are young and naive you scream at everything you like. Fast forward to X&Y when The Hardest Part was released. I ended up downloading The Hardest Part off of Limewire instead of Rob Thomas's Little WOnders as the only line I could remember was "The Hardest Part is over". So I listened to it and my mind said "This sisn't Rob Thomas but, I'll keep it anyways, it's pretty damn good." So for two years my iPod read: The Hardest Part - Unknown artist.

The greatest part was May 2008 when I sat down with my closest friend in her bedroom and we were both gathered around her old crappy little radio (which has as of now passed away) and then this song started up, kind of quietly. She gasped and told me: This song reminds me of Harry Potter!!

Nowadays I don't know how Violet Hill reminded her of the boy wizard but, this is not relevant. I told her I'd give it a go and I really liked it. I asked her the band and the title she told me it was Coldplay but she didn't know the song name. We spent hours theat night with our radios scrolling through channels to hear it again and the title too. We found the song plenty of times but couldn't find the title. The end of July was coming up and she was upset as I was too that COldplay was coming to Toronto and we couldn't get tickets for either show. It was then where Viva la Vida was released and I was told that was the album's name. I went to Limewire typed in Viva la Vida and got Violet Hill. So my iPod had three songs Violet Hill, Viva and Clocks which while downloading I realized was the Peter Pan song! Progressively I got a hold of Viva, Parachutes, X&Y and A Rush.

As of late I was listening to Little Wonders by Rob Thomas again and I heard the line taht made me fall for Coldplay then I thought.... I discovered my all time favourite band by MISTAKE!!

My brother and my sister-in-law got married to (I think it was) Clocks; and I liked it then. I didn't actually get into it until after x&y; and i didn't get obsessed with it until a year and a day ago, of my first coldplay concert :awesome:

That's awesome that they got married to a Coldplay song! My former youth pastor and his wife had Viva la Vida played right after they were pronounced at their wedding. (They're pretty hip.) When he told me that I thought, "That's a great idea! Viva la Vida at my wedding would be epic. Freaking epic." Yes, believe it or not, dudes think about that kind of stuff, too...every once in a great, great while. :wink2: